Severely scratching ears.

Breed: Rotty/Boxer mix
I've taken my dog to 3 vets so far for "allergy" symptoms. His episodes start with head shaking, then scratching at the ears (the ears are clean), even going as far as "grinding his ears on concrete", panting, then he'll lay down and go through what can be best described as a seizure as he frantically rubs his nose with his front paws. I have no doubt whatsoever that anxiety takes over. During the episodes his body odor turns horrible and I'd swear he just turns insane. I do all I can to calm him down (petting, scratch his belly, etc.) but the only thing that seems to help is diphenhydramine.I bathe him weekly with hypoallergenic shampoo. These "episodes" happen at any time of the day or night. I've done everything the vets have suggested with the exception of allergy testing (Cheapest I found was $700)- change the food, no treats, muzzle him on walks so he don't eat grass. Is it possible having him neutered would help? Is there anything else I can do for him? I would be extremely grateful (as would Tattoo) if you can give me the answer that the 3 other vets missed.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Tattoo is having these frustrating symptoms.

If this were my case I would possibly try him on a short course of steroids to see if this helps. If these symptoms are due to allergies then steroids would be beneficial.

I'm assuming that your vets have done a good otoscopic exam where they look down the ear canal with a scope. I have seen dogs with extremely itchy ears that had something like an insect or other object deep in the canal.

When you mention that the body odour turns weird I'm wondering if perhaps he expresses his anal glands when he has an episode. This usually smells very fishy and you may notice that the odor is mostly from his back end.

Another thing that I may do if this were my case is try treating him for sarcoptic mange. While most dogs with mange will have scabs on the skin it is not always super obvious. Testing for mange does not always reveal the mites.

I really hope he improves soon!

Is my dog in heat? my dog was really sick and she wouldnt eat. then after a few days she got better and... (35316 views)

Urinating in house. Bella has started urinating in places other than her litter box. She has not been... (6213 views)

Wheezing kitten. Hi! I found Trinity a week or two ago. She was very friendly but looked (and... (9606 views)

Why did my kitten die? I came home last night to find my kitten laying dead in her kennel. We rescued her... (13574 views)

Peeing on walls. Okay,I have a female spayed 2 year old cat and never sprayed walls and peed walls.... (16448 views)

Vomiting puppy. My 30 day old Lab is pukes when I feed him milk and I think is dehydrated as his... (13717 views)

Dog pees when someone pets him. Cooper is 5 months old and neutered. He pees when anyone pets him, talks to him or... (6639 views)

Dog is licking where he was neutered. my dog is licking where he was neutered 3 years ago help asap... (9467 views)

Rabies from my dog? my 70 days old cocker spaniel bit my toe and there ws little bleeding and i cleaned... (6570 views)

Aggressive cats when in heat. i have 2 cats cocoa & honey & honey jus had kittens but before honey had her kittens... (9814 views)