Severely scratching ears.

Breed: Rotty/Boxer mix
I've taken my dog to 3 vets so far for "allergy" symptoms. His episodes start with head shaking, then scratching at the ears (the ears are clean), even going as far as "grinding his ears on concrete", panting, then he'll lay down and go through what can be best described as a seizure as he frantically rubs his nose with his front paws. I have no doubt whatsoever that anxiety takes over. During the episodes his body odor turns horrible and I'd swear he just turns insane. I do all I can to calm him down (petting, scratch his belly, etc.) but the only thing that seems to help is diphenhydramine.I bathe him weekly with hypoallergenic shampoo. These "episodes" happen at any time of the day or night. I've done everything the vets have suggested with the exception of allergy testing (Cheapest I found was $700)- change the food, no treats, muzzle him on walks so he don't eat grass. Is it possible having him neutered would help? Is there anything else I can do for him? I would be extremely grateful (as would Tattoo) if you can give me the answer that the 3 other vets missed.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Tattoo is having these frustrating symptoms.

If this were my case I would possibly try him on a short course of steroids to see if this helps. If these symptoms are due to allergies then steroids would be beneficial.

I'm assuming that your vets have done a good otoscopic exam where they look down the ear canal with a scope. I have seen dogs with extremely itchy ears that had something like an insect or other object deep in the canal.

When you mention that the body odour turns weird I'm wondering if perhaps he expresses his anal glands when he has an episode. This usually smells very fishy and you may notice that the odor is mostly from his back end.

Another thing that I may do if this were my case is try treating him for sarcoptic mange. While most dogs with mange will have scabs on the skin it is not always super obvious. Testing for mange does not always reveal the mites.

I really hope he improves soon!

Stop puppy from biting. How can I stop my puppy from biting me? I don't want to give her up but she is... (8412 views)

Severely scratching ears. I've taken my dog to 3 vets so far for "allergy" symptoms. His episodes start with... (11108 views)

Vomiting and not eating. My shepherd mix, Beanie, is 8 years old, weighs about 44 pounds, and has always been... (7331 views)

Scabby rash on belly and back. My dog has a scabby rash that she has had for about a year. At first it was just on... (18914 views)

Swollen vulva. My dog was in heat a few months ago and her vagina is still swollen. What shouldI... (34894 views)

Paralyzed Rottweiler. 10 yr old rottie mix 100 lbs suddenly became unable to move or walk 5 days ago. He... (12650 views)

Any problems after inguinal hernia surgery? I purchased a yorkie 2months old who recently had a inguinao hernia surgery and i... (11576 views)

Watery eyes. Minnie's eyes are very watery, she can't seem to keep them open and her nose is... (10202 views)

Is parvo contagious? I am sorry to have to ask this for free. I have been unemployed for over a year now.... (8354 views)

Antibiotics for pyometra? my dog has pyometra what are the chances with survival after antibotic injection... (8804 views)