Severely scratching ears.

Breed: Rotty/Boxer mix
I've taken my dog to 3 vets so far for "allergy" symptoms. His episodes start with head shaking, then scratching at the ears (the ears are clean), even going as far as "grinding his ears on concrete", panting, then he'll lay down and go through what can be best described as a seizure as he frantically rubs his nose with his front paws. I have no doubt whatsoever that anxiety takes over. During the episodes his body odor turns horrible and I'd swear he just turns insane. I do all I can to calm him down (petting, scratch his belly, etc.) but the only thing that seems to help is diphenhydramine.I bathe him weekly with hypoallergenic shampoo. These "episodes" happen at any time of the day or night. I've done everything the vets have suggested with the exception of allergy testing (Cheapest I found was $700)- change the food, no treats, muzzle him on walks so he don't eat grass. Is it possible having him neutered would help? Is there anything else I can do for him? I would be extremely grateful (as would Tattoo) if you can give me the answer that the 3 other vets missed.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Tattoo is having these frustrating symptoms.

If this were my case I would possibly try him on a short course of steroids to see if this helps. If these symptoms are due to allergies then steroids would be beneficial.

I'm assuming that your vets have done a good otoscopic exam where they look down the ear canal with a scope. I have seen dogs with extremely itchy ears that had something like an insect or other object deep in the canal.

When you mention that the body odour turns weird I'm wondering if perhaps he expresses his anal glands when he has an episode. This usually smells very fishy and you may notice that the odor is mostly from his back end.

Another thing that I may do if this were my case is try treating him for sarcoptic mange. While most dogs with mange will have scabs on the skin it is not always super obvious. Testing for mange does not always reveal the mites.

I really hope he improves soon!

Dog diarrhea problems. Hi Dr, This is an update to a previous question. Max is over 10 wks old now... (35664 views)

Chronic and acute kidney disease. My dog is a 3 and half year old toy poodle. About 3 month before, he was diagnosed... (8563 views)

Problems after anesthetic. My cat was put on anesthia for the blood draw, which was not approved by me. This... (22141 views)

Cat's leg swollen. Hi there. I've spent an hour or more doing research about this online, and I'm at a... (8035 views)

53 days pregnant. My daughter got a dachshund from one of her inlaws about three months ago. Shortly... (49172 views)

Bleeding anal glands. My dog has been having blood drip from his rear. My vet has expressed his anal... (9144 views)

Puppy is very hyper. Gracey was born on July 6th..so she will be six months soon. We have had dogs all... (7738 views)

When to do shots? just wanted to know my dog got her parvovirus on 5/01/11 and her leptospirosis on... (7601 views)

Azithromycin and cat death. I run my own rescue group. I do all the cleaning, transporting, adopting, and I... (10137 views)

deramaxx, Dasuquin and AdvantixIII Is it ok for Casey to be on deramaxx desaquin and k9advantix 2... (7293 views)