Severely scratching ears.

Breed: Rotty/Boxer mix
I've taken my dog to 3 vets so far for "allergy" symptoms. His episodes start with head shaking, then scratching at the ears (the ears are clean), even going as far as "grinding his ears on concrete", panting, then he'll lay down and go through what can be best described as a seizure as he frantically rubs his nose with his front paws. I have no doubt whatsoever that anxiety takes over. During the episodes his body odor turns horrible and I'd swear he just turns insane. I do all I can to calm him down (petting, scratch his belly, etc.) but the only thing that seems to help is diphenhydramine.I bathe him weekly with hypoallergenic shampoo. These "episodes" happen at any time of the day or night. I've done everything the vets have suggested with the exception of allergy testing (Cheapest I found was $700)- change the food, no treats, muzzle him on walks so he don't eat grass. Is it possible having him neutered would help? Is there anything else I can do for him? I would be extremely grateful (as would Tattoo) if you can give me the answer that the 3 other vets missed.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that Tattoo is having these frustrating symptoms.

If this were my case I would possibly try him on a short course of steroids to see if this helps. If these symptoms are due to allergies then steroids would be beneficial.

I'm assuming that your vets have done a good otoscopic exam where they look down the ear canal with a scope. I have seen dogs with extremely itchy ears that had something like an insect or other object deep in the canal.

When you mention that the body odour turns weird I'm wondering if perhaps he expresses his anal glands when he has an episode. This usually smells very fishy and you may notice that the odor is mostly from his back end.

Another thing that I may do if this were my case is try treating him for sarcoptic mange. While most dogs with mange will have scabs on the skin it is not always super obvious. Testing for mange does not always reveal the mites.

I really hope he improves soon!

Abscess or Cancer? My 8 year old shih tzu had raptured disks surgery five months ago. He was on wheel... (8292 views)

Different pupil sizes in older cat. I recently noticed that my cat's irises don't match... one is opened wide, the other... (26289 views)

Gurgling belly. I'm not sure how long this has been going on as he stays with my mom now. However,... (20230 views)

Dog leaking urine when sleeping. My dog is leaking urine when she is sleeping. She pees on the bed or on the couch. ... (117416 views)

Can cats transmit viruses to people hello.. i wanted to ask that my kitten is not vaccinated and she bites and scratches... (6262 views)

Mildly increased ALP. My dog's routine blood work shows an alkaline phosaphate level of 159. The vet is... (6798 views)

Ketoconazole for dogs. How safe is it to give my dog ketoconazole 200 mg tab fur a fungal infection? The... (26240 views)

Itchy dog. Hi Dr Marie, Recall my email a couple of weeks ago about Max and his... (7574 views)

Milk coming out of squirrel's nose. I have an orphaned squirrel that doesn't have his eyes open yet. He has aspirated... (10256 views)

Tresaderm causing seizure? Hi, I have a special-needs 6 year old cat that was born with a neurological... (5716 views)