Guinea Pig in Heat?

Breed: American Guinea Pig
Dear Dr. Marie,

I have a guinea pig named Charlie, and my friend also has a guinea pig named Lulu. Though, they are the opposite sex. And we introduced them a couple days ago. Charlie showed signs of mating, which is I think purring or rumbling. But I do not know if Lulu is in season or not. I would like to know what kiind of signs there are of her being in season. Also, Charlie has not stopped sqealing since he's met her, is that normal? Oh, and I do know that they are too young to mate, but I would just like to know for future preferences. I hope to see a reply soon, and Thank You.

-- SooJi

Hi and thanks for your question.

The best time to mate guinea pigs is around 3-4 months of age.

Usually if a female is in heat and ready to mate you will see her sticking her bum up in the air. This fertile time only lasts about 8 hours or so, so you may or may not see it. Some females will do a little dance when they want to mate, and sometimes they will rub up against the male.

The squealing from the male is quite normal as he is likely quite excited to have a companion in his cage.

Although it may be too late, I would urge you to think carefully about whether you really want to breed these guinea pigs. Breeding animals is something that I recommend leaving to people who do it professionally as there are a number of things that can go wrong.

I hope this information helps.

Hamster skin problems. Hello my hamster hair has started to fall out and he got flaky skin with sore's from... (16224 views)

Cat is killing lizards. My cat keeps killing lizards that come inside the house. I have tryed spraying water... (14860 views)

Can puppy go outside? I was just wondering when it is okay to take Marley for walkes? He only has his... (10271 views)

Trouble urinating. For about a week I have noticed my aging male neutered dog having a hard time... (47066 views)

Achilles tendon problems in cat. Chloe recently started walking with her heel down to the ground on the right side(2... (11196 views)

Pig ears and diarrhea. Hi, My dog gets occasional diarrhea, like twice a week maybe, I had to take her... (14350 views)

Lump on dog's leg. Hi Dr. Marie! Spanky is 5 years old and very healthy. His energy is good and, as... (39748 views)

Lentigo on a cat. Hi Dr. Marie... My 3.5 year old tortoiseshell cat has developed a black freckle... (20494 views)

Dog with bad breath. im from philippines, i really sleep at bed every night with my dog.the problem is, i... (10586 views)

Older dog won't eat. My dog is a mutt, 14yrs old, and has been acting strangely as of late. She doesn't... (10957 views)