Guinea Pig in Heat?

Breed: American Guinea Pig
Dear Dr. Marie,

I have a guinea pig named Charlie, and my friend also has a guinea pig named Lulu. Though, they are the opposite sex. And we introduced them a couple days ago. Charlie showed signs of mating, which is I think purring or rumbling. But I do not know if Lulu is in season or not. I would like to know what kiind of signs there are of her being in season. Also, Charlie has not stopped sqealing since he's met her, is that normal? Oh, and I do know that they are too young to mate, but I would just like to know for future preferences. I hope to see a reply soon, and Thank You.

-- SooJi

Hi and thanks for your question.

The best time to mate guinea pigs is around 3-4 months of age.

Usually if a female is in heat and ready to mate you will see her sticking her bum up in the air. This fertile time only lasts about 8 hours or so, so you may or may not see it. Some females will do a little dance when they want to mate, and sometimes they will rub up against the male.

The squealing from the male is quite normal as he is likely quite excited to have a companion in his cage.

Although it may be too late, I would urge you to think carefully about whether you really want to breed these guinea pigs. Breeding animals is something that I recommend leaving to people who do it professionally as there are a number of things that can go wrong.

I hope this information helps.

Eye medicine for my cat. We adopted A domestic short haired cat from our local animal shelter. He had an eye... (9770 views)

Should dog with cancer be euthanized? Ben was diagnosed with a Grade III mast cell tumor last February. We had it... (17338 views)

Swelling by anus. King is a healthy, non-nutered male dog. He eats well and most people are shocked... (20663 views)

Cat regurgitating fluid. We have a (female) calico cat who was regurgitating 4 - 5 times per day and not... (10140 views)

Cat straining and in pain. Last night, my cat began meowing as if she was about to vomit but was acting as if... (29035 views)

Brittle nails in a dog. My dog's nails seem to be chipping off and bleeding. He's not biting them. What is... (19895 views)

Heartworm and MDR1 I rrecently had both dogs genotyped for MDR1 mutation and both are positive. Bella... (8115 views)

Hypoglycemia and food coming from nose. Walter began sneezing this morning. The sneezing became worse and he was soaked... (11066 views)

Cat's stomach making noises My cat's stomach has been making noises today including gurgling and rumbling. This... (208004 views)

Lip fold pyoderma. I have suddenly noticed that Blue has an area of bright red, raw skin on both sides... (12749 views)