Guinea Pig in Heat?

Breed: American Guinea Pig
Dear Dr. Marie,

I have a guinea pig named Charlie, and my friend also has a guinea pig named Lulu. Though, they are the opposite sex. And we introduced them a couple days ago. Charlie showed signs of mating, which is I think purring or rumbling. But I do not know if Lulu is in season or not. I would like to know what kiind of signs there are of her being in season. Also, Charlie has not stopped sqealing since he's met her, is that normal? Oh, and I do know that they are too young to mate, but I would just like to know for future preferences. I hope to see a reply soon, and Thank You.

-- SooJi

Hi and thanks for your question.

The best time to mate guinea pigs is around 3-4 months of age.

Usually if a female is in heat and ready to mate you will see her sticking her bum up in the air. This fertile time only lasts about 8 hours or so, so you may or may not see it. Some females will do a little dance when they want to mate, and sometimes they will rub up against the male.

The squealing from the male is quite normal as he is likely quite excited to have a companion in his cage.

Although it may be too late, I would urge you to think carefully about whether you really want to breed these guinea pigs. Breeding animals is something that I recommend leaving to people who do it professionally as there are a number of things that can go wrong.

I hope this information helps.

Repeated diarrhea and vomiting. Dr. Marie: Thank you for your input and warning -- this will be a bit lengthy. I... (10665 views)

Cracked Toe Nail. My dog cracked his nail horizontally at the base of the nail. Is there something I... (10045 views)

Expensive fecal exam. Hello Dr. Marie, My question is about a vet bill that I got yesterday and I... (38952 views)

Is my cat losing weight? My 15 year old male cat looks and feels like he has lost weight. However, his weight... (5269 views)

Allergic reaction to vaccines. He just got all his shots this morning and has been vomiting since and his face is... (11963 views)

Lump on cat's abdomen. My cat has a round, hard spot in her stomach. It has a red dot in the center It... (13861 views)

Intranasal vaccine reaction. our kitten seams to have had a reaction to her nasal vacine it had been about four... (7959 views)

Possible silent heat. She went into heat last year in August for the first time. She has not gone into... (12777 views)

Children's shampoo for dog? okay so my sister used a kids brand of shampoo for my new puppy who is 6 weeks old... (13549 views)

Breeding and vaccines. I wanted to breed my female pitbull, but I have not yet given her the annual... (15020 views)