Guinea Pig in Heat?

Breed: American Guinea Pig
Dear Dr. Marie,

I have a guinea pig named Charlie, and my friend also has a guinea pig named Lulu. Though, they are the opposite sex. And we introduced them a couple days ago. Charlie showed signs of mating, which is I think purring or rumbling. But I do not know if Lulu is in season or not. I would like to know what kiind of signs there are of her being in season. Also, Charlie has not stopped sqealing since he's met her, is that normal? Oh, and I do know that they are too young to mate, but I would just like to know for future preferences. I hope to see a reply soon, and Thank You.

-- SooJi

Hi and thanks for your question.

The best time to mate guinea pigs is around 3-4 months of age.

Usually if a female is in heat and ready to mate you will see her sticking her bum up in the air. This fertile time only lasts about 8 hours or so, so you may or may not see it. Some females will do a little dance when they want to mate, and sometimes they will rub up against the male.

The squealing from the male is quite normal as he is likely quite excited to have a companion in his cage.

Although it may be too late, I would urge you to think carefully about whether you really want to breed these guinea pigs. Breeding animals is something that I recommend leaving to people who do it professionally as there are a number of things that can go wrong.

I hope this information helps.

Runny eyes in a persian. Hi there I just recently got Chewey who is a extreme flat face persian and his eyes... (18664 views)

Fishy smelling urine. Hi - my dog Bluebell has had a fishy smell to her urine for quite some time and... (29710 views)

Tapeworm and roundworm meds. Is it safe to give my cat praziquantel for his tapeworm 2 days after I gave him... (24490 views)

Dog ate grapes. Last night at 9PM I took my dog out for a walk. We were in our town and someone had... (40240 views)

Ivermectin toxicity? Help! I think that I am accidentally poisoning my boy 4 year old by giving him... (15712 views)

Cat meows constantly. Hello- Our 8 year old male cat meows constantly, and he does things like dribble... (9915 views)

Euthanasia because of seizures. I am having extreme guilt over putting my baby down 3 days ago and I wanted a second... (25149 views)

Frontline and Sentry? My husband put sentry flea and tick squeeze on our dog 2 days ago,and it didn;t work... (9820 views)

Quiet after dentistry. Good morning...this may be lengthy...sorry. Despite my cats advanced age of 17,... (5496 views)

Dog shedding. Why is our dog shedding so... (9358 views)