Guinea Pig in Heat?

Breed: American Guinea Pig
Dear Dr. Marie,

I have a guinea pig named Charlie, and my friend also has a guinea pig named Lulu. Though, they are the opposite sex. And we introduced them a couple days ago. Charlie showed signs of mating, which is I think purring or rumbling. But I do not know if Lulu is in season or not. I would like to know what kiind of signs there are of her being in season. Also, Charlie has not stopped sqealing since he's met her, is that normal? Oh, and I do know that they are too young to mate, but I would just like to know for future preferences. I hope to see a reply soon, and Thank You.

-- SooJi

Hi and thanks for your question.

The best time to mate guinea pigs is around 3-4 months of age.

Usually if a female is in heat and ready to mate you will see her sticking her bum up in the air. This fertile time only lasts about 8 hours or so, so you may or may not see it. Some females will do a little dance when they want to mate, and sometimes they will rub up against the male.

The squealing from the male is quite normal as he is likely quite excited to have a companion in his cage.

Although it may be too late, I would urge you to think carefully about whether you really want to breed these guinea pigs. Breeding animals is something that I recommend leaving to people who do it professionally as there are a number of things that can go wrong.

I hope this information helps.

Cat attacking his tail. my cat started attacking his tail sometimes making it bleed..we took him to the vet... (9048 views)

Bump on dog's ear. I noticed that the flap of my dog's ear has this pimple like bump on it. you can't... (20223 views)

Loss of muscle mass on one leg. My dog has lost muscle mass on just ONE hind leg and is getting worse everyday. He... (23785 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My dog has eaten very little the last week and has thrown up almost every time. He... (10736 views)

Has my cat been poisoned? I think my cat has been poisoned. We found him very unlike himself, just sitting a... (8321 views)

Dog ate twigs and stuffing. Dr Marie, On Tuesday, unfortunately I had to fire the pet sitter due to... (16709 views)

Bump near anus. My dog has what looks like a pimple or maybe an ingrown hair? It's not white like a... (35380 views)

Kitten diarrhea. my cat is having diarrhea and is growing weak everyday. he's feces have mucus and he... (9756 views)

Increased thirst and urination. I have an 11 year old spayed female toy poodle. She has been drinking a lot of water... (24114 views)

Basset Hound whining. My basset has seemed to be more whiny latley than usual. I felt around his joints... (9561 views)