Dog is limping after back surgery.

Breed: greyhound
Chloe is 9yrs of age. She has been lame in her left hind leg for the past 3 yrs but MRI scans did not clearly show the problem. IN the last 12 months her condition deteriorated in that her lameness was much worse so she has another MRI scan at another hospital and straight away they saw what the problem was a slipped disc at S7/L1. So she underwent a dorsal laminectomy about 5.5weeks ago and when I collected her from the hospital, I saw her walk without a limp and indeed come home without a limp and do very well. However, when she had her staples removed at 12days she had a bit of a limp from the walk to the vets from the car. It took a week to go. According to the discharge notes, it said I should walk her twice a day for 5 minutes so I started 3 days ago and she is incredibly lame now, so I stopped immediately. She is taking Previcox, Metacam and an anti depressant for the pain. I am worried sick. The surgeon said it is his policy not to prescribe meds over the phone and I will have to wait until 13th/14th January for him to assess her. I am worried she will not get better. She is resting nicely and complying well with not moving and I intend to keep her that way for a month at least.

Oh, poor Chloe. It sounds like she has been through a lot!

Spinal problems can be very difficult to deal with.

From what you have described it sounds like she should be seen sooner than 2 weeks from now. For this type of problem, you can probably have your regular veterinarian examine her sooner than that. They will be able to determine if there are neurological problems again. If not, then they can alter her pain medications if necessary.

Are you sure she is on both Previcox and Metacam? These are both drugs called NSAIDS and it would be very unusual for these to be prescribed at the same time.

I think it is a good idea to keep her as quiet as possible. Definitely do not allow her to do any jumping or any stairs.

When your vet is able to see her they may add an additional medication for pain such as Tramadol. They will be able to examine her as well to determine if there is anything else going on. It's possible that the limp is due to something other than her back.

I hope she starts to improve soon!

Steroid shots for allergies. Dr. Marie, Our 9 lb. cat has had a chronic skin ailment the majority of his life,... (15906 views)

Possible laryngeal paralysis? Repeat Customer: Hi Dr, I spoke to you last Friday (through email) week... (15697 views)

Genetics of lymphoma for Goldens. Its been a tough week. This question is looking hopefully many years down the... (5188 views)

Yellow vaginal discharge. my female cat has yellow vaginal discharge what does this mean? is it a sign of... (12353 views)

Is my dog in pain? Hi dr, Marie, I'm the one that asked about the papaya leaf for... (4737 views)

Rottweiler urinating frequently. my dog has getting let out all the time and and and recently she has been weeing... (7786 views)

Are chicken bones bad for dogs? Bobby has a very sensitive stomach. He has been vomiting lately. We gave him some... (16155 views)

Does dog saliva heal a wound? Is there any truth to the old wive's tale that when your dog instinctlively licks a... (7575 views)

Coughing after spay. My cat was spayed 6 days ago. At first she was great.Incision looked great and still... (13453 views)

Large lymph nodes in a cat. My cat Miko seems to have swollen lymph nodes under her neck. They've been like that... (42264 views)