Dog is limping after back surgery.

Breed: greyhound
Chloe is 9yrs of age. She has been lame in her left hind leg for the past 3 yrs but MRI scans did not clearly show the problem. IN the last 12 months her condition deteriorated in that her lameness was much worse so she has another MRI scan at another hospital and straight away they saw what the problem was a slipped disc at S7/L1. So she underwent a dorsal laminectomy about 5.5weeks ago and when I collected her from the hospital, I saw her walk without a limp and indeed come home without a limp and do very well. However, when she had her staples removed at 12days she had a bit of a limp from the walk to the vets from the car. It took a week to go. According to the discharge notes, it said I should walk her twice a day for 5 minutes so I started 3 days ago and she is incredibly lame now, so I stopped immediately. She is taking Previcox, Metacam and an anti depressant for the pain. I am worried sick. The surgeon said it is his policy not to prescribe meds over the phone and I will have to wait until 13th/14th January for him to assess her. I am worried she will not get better. She is resting nicely and complying well with not moving and I intend to keep her that way for a month at least.

Oh, poor Chloe. It sounds like she has been through a lot!

Spinal problems can be very difficult to deal with.

From what you have described it sounds like she should be seen sooner than 2 weeks from now. For this type of problem, you can probably have your regular veterinarian examine her sooner than that. They will be able to determine if there are neurological problems again. If not, then they can alter her pain medications if necessary.

Are you sure she is on both Previcox and Metacam? These are both drugs called NSAIDS and it would be very unusual for these to be prescribed at the same time.

I think it is a good idea to keep her as quiet as possible. Definitely do not allow her to do any jumping or any stairs.

When your vet is able to see her they may add an additional medication for pain such as Tramadol. They will be able to examine her as well to determine if there is anything else going on. It's possible that the limp is due to something other than her back.

I hope she starts to improve soon!

Not eating, losing weight. My cat has lost a lot of weight in the past 3 weeks. She cries for food but then... (10983 views)

Cut cat's skin while grooming. Help Dr. Marie! While cutting away a clump of matted hair from behind my kitty's... (40986 views)

Sudden bulldog death. Hello Dr. Marie, I own a boarding kennel and have for fifteen years. We pride... (32950 views)

Puppy vomiting and not eating. my do seems to be sick she will not really eat and she has lost most of her energy... (15642 views)

Dog chewing feet. I was told that if your irishwolfhound chew his back paws this means a heart... (12661 views)

Skinny 19 year old cat. Hi my cat is 19 years old! He is a little skinny but perfectly healthy! I also have... (13351 views)

Puppy not gaining weight. my puppy is one month old and is not gaining any weight and is not active not eating... (11581 views)

Guinea Pig Pregnancy info. Hi, i bought a guinea pig from a pet store about a month ago and now, i think shes... (16330 views)

Can't lift tail. my Golden Retriever's tail doesn't lift up like it normally does. She can still wag... (17061 views)

Jack Russel skin problems. My Jack Russel has bad skin. Every now and again she gets really itchy and has bald... (18168 views)