Dog is limping after back surgery.

Breed: greyhound
Chloe is 9yrs of age. She has been lame in her left hind leg for the past 3 yrs but MRI scans did not clearly show the problem. IN the last 12 months her condition deteriorated in that her lameness was much worse so she has another MRI scan at another hospital and straight away they saw what the problem was a slipped disc at S7/L1. So she underwent a dorsal laminectomy about 5.5weeks ago and when I collected her from the hospital, I saw her walk without a limp and indeed come home without a limp and do very well. However, when she had her staples removed at 12days she had a bit of a limp from the walk to the vets from the car. It took a week to go. According to the discharge notes, it said I should walk her twice a day for 5 minutes so I started 3 days ago and she is incredibly lame now, so I stopped immediately. She is taking Previcox, Metacam and an anti depressant for the pain. I am worried sick. The surgeon said it is his policy not to prescribe meds over the phone and I will have to wait until 13th/14th January for him to assess her. I am worried she will not get better. She is resting nicely and complying well with not moving and I intend to keep her that way for a month at least.

Oh, poor Chloe. It sounds like she has been through a lot!

Spinal problems can be very difficult to deal with.

From what you have described it sounds like she should be seen sooner than 2 weeks from now. For this type of problem, you can probably have your regular veterinarian examine her sooner than that. They will be able to determine if there are neurological problems again. If not, then they can alter her pain medications if necessary.

Are you sure she is on both Previcox and Metacam? These are both drugs called NSAIDS and it would be very unusual for these to be prescribed at the same time.

I think it is a good idea to keep her as quiet as possible. Definitely do not allow her to do any jumping or any stairs.

When your vet is able to see her they may add an additional medication for pain such as Tramadol. They will be able to examine her as well to determine if there is anything else going on. It's possible that the limp is due to something other than her back.

I hope she starts to improve soon!

Heavy breathing in dog. My dog seems to be panting and breathing heavily quite often, almost all the time,... (15302 views)

Recurring ear infections in Golden. My dog is a 90 pound Golden Retriever. He has had a lot of problems with ear... (20152 views)

Big lymph nodes. My dog has swollen lymph nodes for about 15 days now and they are all over his body.... (21722 views)

Painful defecation. Hello again Dr. Marie I had contacted you just awhile ago about my cat Linus and... (5241 views)

Kitten panting. My previous cats lived to be 18 yrs, so it's a long time since I had a young one. ... (5803 views)

Heart murmur in puppy. Does this sound like a "normal" heart for a 10 week old Chihuahua pup? I know it's... (6560 views)

Heat symptoms pregnant cat. My cat is pregnant but still acting like she's in season, this has been going on now... (5829 views)

Dehydrated and trouble breathing. I found my cat yesterday just lying on the ground, he can't lift his head, yesterday... (8477 views)

Supraglan for Cushing's? My dog was recently diagnosed with Cushing's disease. He has been drinking a lot of... (16735 views)

Bloody diarrhea in small dog. I recently purchased a new Maltese puppy. When we brought him home he had some... (16031 views)