Dog is limping after back surgery.

Breed: greyhound
Chloe is 9yrs of age. She has been lame in her left hind leg for the past 3 yrs but MRI scans did not clearly show the problem. IN the last 12 months her condition deteriorated in that her lameness was much worse so she has another MRI scan at another hospital and straight away they saw what the problem was a slipped disc at S7/L1. So she underwent a dorsal laminectomy about 5.5weeks ago and when I collected her from the hospital, I saw her walk without a limp and indeed come home without a limp and do very well. However, when she had her staples removed at 12days she had a bit of a limp from the walk to the vets from the car. It took a week to go. According to the discharge notes, it said I should walk her twice a day for 5 minutes so I started 3 days ago and she is incredibly lame now, so I stopped immediately. She is taking Previcox, Metacam and an anti depressant for the pain. I am worried sick. The surgeon said it is his policy not to prescribe meds over the phone and I will have to wait until 13th/14th January for him to assess her. I am worried she will not get better. She is resting nicely and complying well with not moving and I intend to keep her that way for a month at least.

Oh, poor Chloe. It sounds like she has been through a lot!

Spinal problems can be very difficult to deal with.

From what you have described it sounds like she should be seen sooner than 2 weeks from now. For this type of problem, you can probably have your regular veterinarian examine her sooner than that. They will be able to determine if there are neurological problems again. If not, then they can alter her pain medications if necessary.

Are you sure she is on both Previcox and Metacam? These are both drugs called NSAIDS and it would be very unusual for these to be prescribed at the same time.

I think it is a good idea to keep her as quiet as possible. Definitely do not allow her to do any jumping or any stairs.

When your vet is able to see her they may add an additional medication for pain such as Tramadol. They will be able to examine her as well to determine if there is anything else going on. It's possible that the limp is due to something other than her back.

I hope she starts to improve soon!

Getting a second dog. We have allowed Kiba (our dog) to sleep in our room at night as when we first got... (8644 views)

Rabies from a feral kitten? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings and I hope this e-mail reaches you in good health. I... (19745 views)

Diaphragmatic hernia. Our 8-year-old neutered male cat has a history of various health issues:... (7574 views)

Questions from a student? I have a grade 6 student doing a research project on Veteranarians. Could she use... (8098 views)

Jaw cancer? Hello doctor. My question is about my 8-10 year old cat. He has had teeth removed do... (13476 views)

4 year old cat not eating. My 4 year old cat, who normally is a great eater, isn't eating much at all. She... (7323 views)

Dog snaps when head touched. Dear Dr. Marie, Our 7 year old bichon frise has started new concerning behavior.... (8244 views)

Housetraining advice for puppy. I need housetraining advice. I got my new puppy a week ago and she is peeing on the... (9753 views)

Repair hernia now? My pitbull puppy has an umbilical hernia, about the size of a half dollar. She shows... (7759 views)

Cat attacked by dog. My can got attacked by a dog and she cant close her mouth all the way, but her tooth... (6094 views)