Jack Russel skin problems.

Breed: Jack Russel
My Jack Russel has bad skin. Every now and again she gets really itchy and has bald spots appear on her back and tail. Until recently it hasn't got that bad, but now bald patches appear on her legs, and feet. She also rubs her tummy on the floor and chairs, and this has resulted in the skin on her tummy going black in colour. The skin on her itchy areas is red/pink. I have been brushing out all the built up scabby bits.
Also up until about a few weeks ago she has been scratching at her ears, they have gone inflamed and smell a bit cheesy. There is a bit of wax in there, and I have been wiping her ears with special doggy baby wipes for the ears, the redness in her ears has gone down, but she is still shaking her head, and scratching them.
Could she have a skin allergy, like dermatitis, or perhaps a mite? We haven't changed any chemicals in the house, and she has been de-flead.
Would giving her Evening Primrose help with the skin condition, and bathing her in insecticide shampoo, and using ear drops help?

It sounds like Honey desperately needs to see a vet.

Yes, this can be related to allergies. However, if she is this uncomfortable she likely has infection in her skin and ears and will need antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

The most common reason for itchiness on the back and tail is an allergy to fleas. Fleas can be extremely hard to see sometimes. So, if I see a dog with lesions in these areas I will always put them on a good prescription strength flea medication.

There are a number of things that can help a dog with allergies, but by far the best ones are prescription. I hope she can be seen soon!

Dog can't move tail. My dog's tail is bent at the base and it is almost as if she can't move it. It seems... (13498 views)

Chin acne in a dog. My 1 year old cane corso keeps getting bumps on his chin similar to acne or zits. I... (15035 views)

Is ginger safe for dogs? I make dog biscuits to sell at craft shows and with xmas coming up sooner than we... (45797 views)

Pathology report for mammary tumor. Shelby recently had her mammary gland removed as she had multiple tumors. This... (10944 views)

Very thirsty kitten. Hi there my 9 week old male kitten has been drinking water non stop from his bowl... (12950 views)

Cat aggressive with new kitten. I just got a new kitten but one of the cats in my house is attacking him. Ever... (16309 views)

Dog ate maxi pad. 10 days ago my german Shepherd at a maxi pad ( enlongated overnight maxi with wings)... (26647 views)

How to remove stitches Hi Thanks for the feedback last week. Your advice saved our dogs life. Ok we... (27313 views)

Cyst or cancer? About a year ago, Bella started limping occasionally. When I inspected her leg, I... (7063 views)

Ear margin dermatosis. Hello, I have a 5 year old over-weight beagle. He's had these small dry crusty... (77187 views)