Jack Russel skin problems.

Breed: Jack Russel
My Jack Russel has bad skin. Every now and again she gets really itchy and has bald spots appear on her back and tail. Until recently it hasn't got that bad, but now bald patches appear on her legs, and feet. She also rubs her tummy on the floor and chairs, and this has resulted in the skin on her tummy going black in colour. The skin on her itchy areas is red/pink. I have been brushing out all the built up scabby bits.
Also up until about a few weeks ago she has been scratching at her ears, they have gone inflamed and smell a bit cheesy. There is a bit of wax in there, and I have been wiping her ears with special doggy baby wipes for the ears, the redness in her ears has gone down, but she is still shaking her head, and scratching them.
Could she have a skin allergy, like dermatitis, or perhaps a mite? We haven't changed any chemicals in the house, and she has been de-flead.
Would giving her Evening Primrose help with the skin condition, and bathing her in insecticide shampoo, and using ear drops help?

It sounds like Honey desperately needs to see a vet.

Yes, this can be related to allergies. However, if she is this uncomfortable she likely has infection in her skin and ears and will need antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

The most common reason for itchiness on the back and tail is an allergy to fleas. Fleas can be extremely hard to see sometimes. So, if I see a dog with lesions in these areas I will always put them on a good prescription strength flea medication.

There are a number of things that can help a dog with allergies, but by far the best ones are prescription. I hope she can be seen soon!

Vulvar tumor thank you for your reply to my first question about my cat who died from a vulval... (7024 views)

Limping Maltipoo. My dog fell from trying to jump on my bed 2 days ago. (She is a maltipoo and weighs... (16177 views)

Cat is urinating on my bed. Hi Dr Marie, You may not remember me - I'm from Australia, my partner and I email... (8018 views)

Stimulus sensitive seizures. Hello, My dog is part pomerainean and part something else. He is about 25lbs. He is... (18875 views)

Dog ate battery fluid. My dog chewed up a AA battery. It doesn't appear that she ingested any pieces of it... (16440 views)

Frontline Plus and Advantage Multi? Can I give my dog Advantage Multi plus the Frontline Plus. I know the Advantage... (16752 views)

Losing weight but lab tests normal. My cat is losing weight, vomiting, more vocal than normal, lethargic and hungry all... (10730 views)

Cat constantly in heat. Hi, I have a cat, she is little less than 2 years old. She is always in heat like 1... (24928 views)

Swollen face after fight. My miniature pinscher was attacked by a boxer a few days ago. Her wounds have... (12208 views)

Good cat foods. Hi Dr.! I'm currently a new cat owner. I found peachie wandering near the new... (14725 views)