Jack Russel skin problems.

Breed: Jack Russel
My Jack Russel has bad skin. Every now and again she gets really itchy and has bald spots appear on her back and tail. Until recently it hasn't got that bad, but now bald patches appear on her legs, and feet. She also rubs her tummy on the floor and chairs, and this has resulted in the skin on her tummy going black in colour. The skin on her itchy areas is red/pink. I have been brushing out all the built up scabby bits.
Also up until about a few weeks ago she has been scratching at her ears, they have gone inflamed and smell a bit cheesy. There is a bit of wax in there, and I have been wiping her ears with special doggy baby wipes for the ears, the redness in her ears has gone down, but she is still shaking her head, and scratching them.
Could she have a skin allergy, like dermatitis, or perhaps a mite? We haven't changed any chemicals in the house, and she has been de-flead.
Would giving her Evening Primrose help with the skin condition, and bathing her in insecticide shampoo, and using ear drops help?

It sounds like Honey desperately needs to see a vet.

Yes, this can be related to allergies. However, if she is this uncomfortable she likely has infection in her skin and ears and will need antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

The most common reason for itchiness on the back and tail is an allergy to fleas. Fleas can be extremely hard to see sometimes. So, if I see a dog with lesions in these areas I will always put them on a good prescription strength flea medication.

There are a number of things that can help a dog with allergies, but by far the best ones are prescription. I hope she can be seen soon!

Raw, sore nose. Hi there I have a 5 year old Malamute named Mika about a year ago she was attatcked... (7801 views)

Gentamycin and deafness? Hope you can help with my question. I have a 11 year old cat named Emma, that has... (4535 views)

Yorkie having seizures. my dog has fits his back legs go stiff he then starts panting excessively his fur is... (8235 views)

Bloated and leaking urine. This past week my 12 year old german shepard has been wetting herself and last night... (18617 views)

Can dogs eat carrots? hi i have a rabbit and a dog. the dog is a shoodle cross between shitzu and a... (12963 views)

Is my cat pregnant? How can I tell if my cat is pregnant? She has a big belly and I want to know if... (10215 views)

Dogs, cats and bio-oil. Hi, Dr. Marie: I have a question for you regarding a product called Bio Oil. I... (18344 views)

Can a spayed cat get pregnant? OK its OK if you don't answer but be for you look away please im 12 and my cat is... (19368 views)

Straining to urinate. I have an 8 year old yellow lab named Chloie. She was diagnosed with hypothyroidism... (4101 views)

Kitten with runny nose. my kitten has had a runny nose with bad sneezing for 4 weeks now, shes eatting,... (11461 views)