Jack Russel skin problems.

Breed: Jack Russel
My Jack Russel has bad skin. Every now and again she gets really itchy and has bald spots appear on her back and tail. Until recently it hasn't got that bad, but now bald patches appear on her legs, and feet. She also rubs her tummy on the floor and chairs, and this has resulted in the skin on her tummy going black in colour. The skin on her itchy areas is red/pink. I have been brushing out all the built up scabby bits.
Also up until about a few weeks ago she has been scratching at her ears, they have gone inflamed and smell a bit cheesy. There is a bit of wax in there, and I have been wiping her ears with special doggy baby wipes for the ears, the redness in her ears has gone down, but she is still shaking her head, and scratching them.
Could she have a skin allergy, like dermatitis, or perhaps a mite? We haven't changed any chemicals in the house, and she has been de-flead.
Would giving her Evening Primrose help with the skin condition, and bathing her in insecticide shampoo, and using ear drops help?

It sounds like Honey desperately needs to see a vet.

Yes, this can be related to allergies. However, if she is this uncomfortable she likely has infection in her skin and ears and will need antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

The most common reason for itchiness on the back and tail is an allergy to fleas. Fleas can be extremely hard to see sometimes. So, if I see a dog with lesions in these areas I will always put them on a good prescription strength flea medication.

There are a number of things that can help a dog with allergies, but by far the best ones are prescription. I hope she can be seen soon!

Coughing cat. One of my cats has been hacking a lot the past few days. I have a video I would like... (6347 views)

Is my dog in pain? Hi dr, Marie, I'm the one that asked about the papaya leaf for... (5298 views)

What is a CG8 blood test? Hi, my vet wants to do blood tests to see how Frankie is doing, he seems to have... (7220 views)

Lesions on foot pads. my cat is missing large pieces of skin on its foot pads after getting scabs all over... (8856 views)

Won't eat kidney diet. My cat is 17 years old. She has kidney disease and has been on kidney food (both... (14365 views)

Still paralyzed after back surgery. We need help and guidance please! We have an active family, 3 boys (13,9,8) and one... (32832 views)

Peeing outside of box. My cat is spayed female,indoor/outdoor as she wishes. She will defecate in litter... (7186 views)

Ear infection in labradoodle. Hi Dr. Marie, I have an 8 month old Australian Labradoodle who has had a yeast... (16984 views)

Cat aggressive with dog. Our household has 2 dogs, 2 indoor cats, 3 parakeets and 3 kids :). The cats and... (5406 views)

Lethargic and following me around. Hi, My dog Harley is 3 yrs old. Starting 2 days ago he hasn't been acting like... (13209 views)