Jack Russel skin problems.

Breed: Jack Russel
My Jack Russel has bad skin. Every now and again she gets really itchy and has bald spots appear on her back and tail. Until recently it hasn't got that bad, but now bald patches appear on her legs, and feet. She also rubs her tummy on the floor and chairs, and this has resulted in the skin on her tummy going black in colour. The skin on her itchy areas is red/pink. I have been brushing out all the built up scabby bits.
Also up until about a few weeks ago she has been scratching at her ears, they have gone inflamed and smell a bit cheesy. There is a bit of wax in there, and I have been wiping her ears with special doggy baby wipes for the ears, the redness in her ears has gone down, but she is still shaking her head, and scratching them.
Could she have a skin allergy, like dermatitis, or perhaps a mite? We haven't changed any chemicals in the house, and she has been de-flead.
Would giving her Evening Primrose help with the skin condition, and bathing her in insecticide shampoo, and using ear drops help?

It sounds like Honey desperately needs to see a vet.

Yes, this can be related to allergies. However, if she is this uncomfortable she likely has infection in her skin and ears and will need antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

The most common reason for itchiness on the back and tail is an allergy to fleas. Fleas can be extremely hard to see sometimes. So, if I see a dog with lesions in these areas I will always put them on a good prescription strength flea medication.

There are a number of things that can help a dog with allergies, but by far the best ones are prescription. I hope she can be seen soon!

Cat attacking his tail. my cat started attacking his tail sometimes making it bleed..we took him to the vet... (8127 views)

Wound on cat. My father's cat Jerry is 3 year old neutered male DSH who is up-to-date on all... (4203 views)

Do allergy wipes work? Do cat wipes work for people who are allergic to feline dander? Are the wipes... (10787 views)

How to help constipated cat. Our 10 year old cat is constipated. How can we help her? She tried to use the catbox... (4908 views)

Lump on dog's leg. Hey Dr. Marie (and Happy Holidays!) I noticed about a week ago while petting my... (34698 views)

Questions about anesthesia Hi my name is Jazmin. I'm currently in college now in vet tech school. i have a... (6322 views)

Hip dysplasia in pupp Hi I have a 13 month old German Shepherd male Havoc. He runs great. Jumps great and... (28459 views)

Frontline and Sentry? My husband put sentry flea and tick squeeze on our dog 2 days ago,and it didn;t work... (9167 views)

Clindamycin overdose? I have been caring for Sox, a feral. Awhile back Sox started coughing on and off... (7249 views)

Dog ate chicken bones. PLese help me! My 8 year old American Golden just ate cooked chicken bones! What... (136835 views)