Losing weight and hungry.

Breed: Bassador
My dog Knock has lost a lot of weight, he currently weighs about thirty pounds and when we first got him he was fifty. Here are his symptoms; ravenous appetite,frequent small loose stools, eating his feces,there is some blood in the stools, straining to get a small amount of feces out. The vet put him on metronidazole and that did not help the diarrhea at all, she said he had a lot of bacteria overgrowth, so the next trip she put him on prednizone and tylan and those did not help either. She felt his belly again and said she felt a firm mass and that was not good. Does that always mean cancer? I feel so bad for my dog, every morning he is waiting for his breakfast. He wants to eat everything in sight and he drinks just fine. He also is constantly licking his bottom. But he also is depressed, I have confined in the dining room and I know that is making him sad, I think he thinks he has done something wrong. This is very hard and I wish I had some hope. Also I have him on a bland diet of chicken,brown rice,yogurt,and veggies all mixed together.

Hi,

I am concerned about the symptoms that you have mentioned for Knock. The symptoms of weight loss, loose stools and a possible mass in the abdomen certainly do sound like cancer. It is hard to tell though without doing further tests such as xrays or maybe an ultrasound.

It sounds like your vet is concerned about severe inflammatory bowel disease and is doing all of the right treatments. However, it is often hard to tell the difference between inflammatory bowel conditions and cancerous conditions of the bowel.

Has Knock had any blood tests done recently? A pancreas condition could cause similar symptoms. You could ask your vet about the possibility of something called EPI (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency). This is much more common in German Shepherds though and is really a long shot. EPI is treatable but is expensive to treat.

It's hard to know how to advise from here. The best advice I can give is to trust the advice of your vet. If she says that things do not look good then it may be time to consider euthanasia.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

What about the fact that his appetite is so good and he is drinking, I thought dogs did not want to eat when they had cancer in an advanced stage. Also, can the mass be anything else, something he swallowed, I have given him rawhide bones and he devours them. And what about flax seed oil and cottage cheese, I have read that is a good thing to give a dog with cancer.

When I see a dog who is eating ravenously, losing weight and having loose stools then one of the possible causes is that the intestines are not absorbing the nutrients properly. So, food goes in, doesn't get processed properly and causes diarrhea. Because the nutrients aren't being absorbed, the dog feels like they are constantly hungry.

There are some cancers that can cause the intestines to not absorb properly. Again, some forms of inflammatory bowel disease can do this too.

The symptoms don't match a foreign object such as a rawhide. It really shouldn't cause his appetite to increase. You would also expect to see some vomiting.

Regarding flax seed oil and cottage cheese, there is probably no harm in adding these in small amounts to Knock's diet. The omega 3 in the flax seed can have some health benefits but it's not going to be a miracle cancer-cure.

Bassett hound freaks out Our dog is healthy and happy, usually. He's been to the vet once per year to get his... (7381 views)

Dog spinning and bothered My dog doesn't have flea's but acts like he is being bothered by something. He... (11631 views)

Swollen eye. Hello dr. Marie. I have had my male cat since he was 8 weeks old and i adopted him... (11319 views)

Hair loss at base of tail. My cat has been pulling her fur out near the base of her tail,leaving swollen bald... (13774 views)

Large mammary lump. Hi Dr Marie My dog Jenna is 13. Lately i have been aware that she has developed a... (8772 views)

Lack of bladder control. I HAVE A FEMALE COCKER SPANIEL WHO IS THE OFF SPRING OF MY OWN MALE AND FEMALE WHO... (15027 views)

Lumps on cat's abdomen. Cubbie recently (1 week) developed two fibrous (?) lumps, one on each side of her... (23750 views)

Bald spot on cat's back. My friend's 1 1/2 yr. old cat has been losing the hair from it's tail for about 10... (39875 views)

Red lesion on whippet's leg. Hi there. My whippet gets a little crazy sometimes running in the backyard. I... (6186 views)

Scabby rash on belly and back. My dog has a scabby rash that she has had for about a year. At first it was just on... (18840 views)