Limping dog.

Breed: German Shepherd Mix
My dog is a GS mix - she is just over 1 yr old and weighs approx. 70 lbs. She started limping on her left hind leg about a month ago - she would limp after getting up from laying/sitting and gradually put her weight back on it after walking around a bit. We thought at first it was just "asleep" and didn't think anything of it, but it got worse recently, where she'd be limping for a longer period of time, or not putting any weight on it at first. She went to the vet last week - had hip and left leg xrays taken and bloodwork done for lymes and other things. The vet said everything came back OK but that there might be some slight inflammation in her knee, but he said she is too young to worry about it. He gave her Rimadyl for 7 days. Since the vet visit, she has vomited twice and had diarrhea and bad gas (the diarrhea/gas just started last night), and her limp has not improved. She ran around at the dog park last night and it was very bad last night. She was visibly uncomfortable and had trouble laying down on her rug, so I let her sleep on the couch. I'm a huge worrier and am concerned the vet may have missed something - does this sound like anything is seriously wrong? Just for some background, she has always seemed to have a weak stomach; I grew up w/dogs and she has vomited more than any dog I have ever owned. The limping also seems to be worse after vigorous exercise. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Sheila

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

Hi Sheila. I have a case exactly like this in my clinic right now. It's actually quite a common occurrence to have a young dog with a lameness that we can't figure out. Most of the time when I have cases like this we put the dog on an anti-inflammatory drug (that's what the Rimadyl is) and just wait things out. It almost always gets better.

If there is no improvement within another week or two then your vet may want to go looking for other things. Given that there is some inflammation in the knee they may want to do a joint tap to look for infection or an immune mediated problem in the joint. These things are really not common though.

Another thing that I would do, if the dog was not getting better is consider having a specialist take a look at the xrays. Sometimes there can be very subtle things that a radiologist could notice that regular veterinarians might not see.

If that doesn't turn up the problem then you could talk to your vet about seeing an orthopedic specialist. Again, these vets can often find things on a physical exam that regular vets are not used to seeing.

One other thing that causes inflammation in the knee is a tear in the cruciate ligament, but this is unusual on such a young dog. An orthopedic specialist should be able to tell you if this is happening.

Regarding the vomit, diarrhea and gas, it's hard to connect that to the limping. I'm wondering if Pip is not handling the Rimadyl well. If these symptoms continue then you may need to ask your vet about taking her off of the medicine.

The other thing you may want to consider is giving her strict rest. If she's got a mild sprain or strain then running around the park is just going to re-aggravate the injury. In a situation like this I would usually recommend two weeks of strict rest which means she only goes outside on her leash to do her bowel movements and urination. I know that is hard to do with a young dog though.

I hope that helps. Sorry that I can't tell you what is going on!

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Thanks, Dr. Marie. I think your recommendation to restrict her activity is the route we will take; she's due back to the vet for her immunizations in like a month or so, so if she's still having issues I will request the xrays and speak with a specialist. I appreciate your time and expertise!

Sheila

Sounds like a great plan!

Aggressive cats when in heat. i have 2 cats cocoa & honey & honey jus had kittens but before honey had her kittens... (5764 views)

Dog has distemper. My dog is coughing ,vomiting whatever he eats but he has appetite took him to a vet.... (6258 views)

Homemade chicken jerky treats for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, If you do choose to answer my questions, I thank you so much in... (3205 views)

Paralyzed chihuahua My dog is just laying here stiff in the rear but wont move anything but his head. He... (7262 views)

Allergic reaction and diarrhea. Dr, My 3 1/2 year old basset hound is having multiple issues that in my best... (5211 views)

Cat limping and vomiting. Today I noticed that my cat was limping a bit. Later on in the day I noticed that... (10841 views)

Cat vomits after eating wet food. My cat has been doing this strange thing, but only after she eats wet food. It... (6364 views)

Female dog humping. My female pit bull everyday, anytime I lay down on my couch or bed, she jumps up on... (5939 views)

Is this fleas? Dear Dr. Marie, This is my 2nd time asking a question. Thank you for your great... (3785 views)

Cyst or cancer? About a year ago, Bella started limping occasionally. When I inspected her leg, I... (2579 views)