Won't eat dog food.

Breed: Terrier Mix
Inherited my Mom's 4 year old terrier mix - 14 to 15 pounds - who has always eaten and will only eat people food. After a month of trying every kind of dog food available I decided to make him chicken/turkey and rice. My questions are how much to feed daily and also if a vitamin supplement is needed could you suggest one? Thank you so very much, Happy New Year.....

It is always a really tough situation when a dog has been only fed people food and won't eat dog food.

I am definitely not a fan of just feeding chicken/turkey and rice. It is really hard to make a homemade diet that is balanced. You can buy vitamin supplements (check out Hilary's Blend) that can help, but really it's not the same as buying a well balanced dog food.

My recommendation when a dog has been spoiled with human food is to be extremely firm in only offering him dog food. A dog will not starve himself to death and will eventually eat the food that is given to him provided that you do not give in and feed him table food in between. It may take a couple of weeks for him to eventually cave. I know that two weeks seems like an eternity to go without food, but right now he is playing a game of wills and he is winning. If all he has is dog food, trust me, he will eventually eat it. He will not do his body harm by going without for a time. (This would not be true for a cat as cats can get something called fatty liver if they go without food, but a dog will not be harmed.)

I have had decent success by adding things to dog food such as IAMS gravy or even ketchup in small amounts. It may also help to soak kibbles in warm water or to give him a mixture of canned and dry food.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have questions!

Dog weak slow and shaking. My dog has become not interest in anything and has become very weak and has very... (14452 views)

Parvo? My English Mastiff started vomiting on Friday. By Saturday he had extremely watery... (15164 views)

Bruising after blood collection. I took my dog to get some shots earlier today and to get some tests done. They drew... (26924 views)

Cat vomits after eating wet food. My cat has been doing this strange thing, but only after she eats wet food. It... (12559 views)

Foot problem and congestion. My 10 year old dog max just finished taking cephalexin for a foot infection and has... (8266 views)

Pink spot on dog. I noticed on my dog about a month ago he had a small pink raised bump on his chest... (28720 views)

Dogs ate chocolate and sugar. I have an 85 pound lab, an 8 pound mini dachshund and a 12 pound mini dachshund. We... (20453 views)

Stop puppy from biting. How can I stop my puppy from biting me? I don't want to give her up but she is... (9092 views)

Sick, limping puppy. Good Evening I know my puppy needs to go to the vet however the vet will not be... (8933 views)

Really bad skin issues. there is a PHOTO on the Pet-Forums-UK website, on the Dog Health sub-forum under Dog... (10013 views)