Won't eat dog food.

Breed: Terrier Mix
Inherited my Mom's 4 year old terrier mix - 14 to 15 pounds - who has always eaten and will only eat people food. After a month of trying every kind of dog food available I decided to make him chicken/turkey and rice. My questions are how much to feed daily and also if a vitamin supplement is needed could you suggest one? Thank you so very much, Happy New Year.....

It is always a really tough situation when a dog has been only fed people food and won't eat dog food.

I am definitely not a fan of just feeding chicken/turkey and rice. It is really hard to make a homemade diet that is balanced. You can buy vitamin supplements (check out Hilary's Blend) that can help, but really it's not the same as buying a well balanced dog food.

My recommendation when a dog has been spoiled with human food is to be extremely firm in only offering him dog food. A dog will not starve himself to death and will eventually eat the food that is given to him provided that you do not give in and feed him table food in between. It may take a couple of weeks for him to eventually cave. I know that two weeks seems like an eternity to go without food, but right now he is playing a game of wills and he is winning. If all he has is dog food, trust me, he will eventually eat it. He will not do his body harm by going without for a time. (This would not be true for a cat as cats can get something called fatty liver if they go without food, but a dog will not be harmed.)

I have had decent success by adding things to dog food such as IAMS gravy or even ketchup in small amounts. It may also help to soak kibbles in warm water or to give him a mixture of canned and dry food.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have questions!

hamster brain damage from chewing Hi, my 18 month old hamster started to bite her cage several months ago. i have... (14368 views)

Does my dog have rabies? How likely in your experience will my puppy get rabies if one of her litter mates... (9460 views)

Is this rabies? My dog is going crazy. He's been shaking and walking somewhere and walking back for... (8052 views)

Skin problems. i have a male cocker spaniel 11yrs old, the last couple months he has been... (13451 views)

Vita Calm in dogs? i was wondering if i could safly use vitacalm for hosres on my dog for his... (9463 views)

Swollen neck on cat. My cat was been experiencing avswollen upper neck and underneath chin. It has... (27778 views)

Dogs ate chocolate and sugar. I have an 85 pound lab, an 8 pound mini dachshund and a 12 pound mini dachshund. We... (22078 views)

What kind of food? I need a food recommendation for our two Aussies (one mini 5 yr old male at 32lbs... (7041 views)

Do cats taste sweet? Dr. Marie, This is really more of a general question than a question about my pet... (23175 views)

Blood in urine. I can not afford to take her to a vet...so here I am. I have just noticed while... (10596 views)