Won't eat dog food.

Breed: Terrier Mix
Inherited my Mom's 4 year old terrier mix - 14 to 15 pounds - who has always eaten and will only eat people food. After a month of trying every kind of dog food available I decided to make him chicken/turkey and rice. My questions are how much to feed daily and also if a vitamin supplement is needed could you suggest one? Thank you so very much, Happy New Year.....

It is always a really tough situation when a dog has been only fed people food and won't eat dog food.

I am definitely not a fan of just feeding chicken/turkey and rice. It is really hard to make a homemade diet that is balanced. You can buy vitamin supplements (check out Hilary's Blend) that can help, but really it's not the same as buying a well balanced dog food.

My recommendation when a dog has been spoiled with human food is to be extremely firm in only offering him dog food. A dog will not starve himself to death and will eventually eat the food that is given to him provided that you do not give in and feed him table food in between. It may take a couple of weeks for him to eventually cave. I know that two weeks seems like an eternity to go without food, but right now he is playing a game of wills and he is winning. If all he has is dog food, trust me, he will eventually eat it. He will not do his body harm by going without for a time. (This would not be true for a cat as cats can get something called fatty liver if they go without food, but a dog will not be harmed.)

I have had decent success by adding things to dog food such as IAMS gravy or even ketchup in small amounts. It may also help to soak kibbles in warm water or to give him a mixture of canned and dry food.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have questions!

Vomiting and elevated liver enzymes. Hi Dr. Marie, I don't know the appropriate name for my dog's breed, but I have... (23348 views)

Dog ate chocolate bar. Hello. In September 2009, we got a family pet. She was born on 9th of July 2009. So... (5411 views)

Can't bear weight. This isn't my pet, it is my sister in law's pet. Over the past few months, the dog... (6914 views)

Bad for dog to eat paper? iv had Lexi 4 almost 6 months now, and she just loves to chew paper. i know she is... (35400 views)

Should dog have a liver biopsy? My dog, Zora, was adopted from a rescue group in CA so we don't know much about her... (9949 views)

Vomiting undigested food. My cat primarily eats dry food. She frequently vomits undigested food.What can I do... (11981 views)

Sunscreen for cats and dogs. My cat is a white cat and he loves to lounge in the sun. I was wondering if you... (13023 views)

Did I cause my cat's brain injuries? hi ya i was playing with my cat and it scrap me bad so i slapped him on the head he... (18090 views)

Large liver and spleen. Male cat 10 yo & neutered has enlarged pancreas and spleen, slightly enlarged liver.... (20867 views)

Hypoglycemia and food coming from nose. Walter began sneezing this morning. The sneezing became worse and he was soaked... (6673 views)