Won't eat dog food.

Breed: Terrier Mix
Inherited my Mom's 4 year old terrier mix - 14 to 15 pounds - who has always eaten and will only eat people food. After a month of trying every kind of dog food available I decided to make him chicken/turkey and rice. My questions are how much to feed daily and also if a vitamin supplement is needed could you suggest one? Thank you so very much, Happy New Year.....

It is always a really tough situation when a dog has been only fed people food and won't eat dog food.

I am definitely not a fan of just feeding chicken/turkey and rice. It is really hard to make a homemade diet that is balanced. You can buy vitamin supplements (check out Hilary's Blend) that can help, but really it's not the same as buying a well balanced dog food.

My recommendation when a dog has been spoiled with human food is to be extremely firm in only offering him dog food. A dog will not starve himself to death and will eventually eat the food that is given to him provided that you do not give in and feed him table food in between. It may take a couple of weeks for him to eventually cave. I know that two weeks seems like an eternity to go without food, but right now he is playing a game of wills and he is winning. If all he has is dog food, trust me, he will eventually eat it. He will not do his body harm by going without for a time. (This would not be true for a cat as cats can get something called fatty liver if they go without food, but a dog will not be harmed.)

I have had decent success by adding things to dog food such as IAMS gravy or even ketchup in small amounts. It may also help to soak kibbles in warm water or to give him a mixture of canned and dry food.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have questions!

Dog biting bas of tail, but no fleas. Hi, I have an otherwise healthy chihuahua who has always been a foot chewer but has... (248857 views)

Guinea Pig losing hair. My guinea pig is 10 weeks and he's lost hair at the rear of his back. It looks a... (12811 views)

Cat meows constantly. Hello- Our 8 year old male cat meows constantly, and he does things like dribble... (11274 views)

Previous leg injury. Dear Dr Marie, Recently I've taken in a rescued Greyhound. I immediately noticed,... (18300 views)

Possible seizures? Our cat, Teddy, started having episodes of rigid front legs, swaying, and staggering... (8766 views)

Soft yellow stools and weight loss Sorry that this is long, but I want to give ALL details in case it helps. I... (42927 views)

Itchy bumps on back. I took my dog to get groomed about 6 weeks ago and I noticed that she got a few... (13275 views)

Hard lump below ribs. My male puppy has a hard lump right below his rib cage (in the center)... is it... (18062 views)

Lump on hamster near leg. Hi, My hamster has a pink lump on her right side (Near the front right leg) She... (18059 views)

Puppy vomiting with blood. my puppy was born on december 18, she was born a normal pup but now she and her... (9569 views)