Won't eat dog food.

Breed: Terrier Mix
Inherited my Mom's 4 year old terrier mix - 14 to 15 pounds - who has always eaten and will only eat people food. After a month of trying every kind of dog food available I decided to make him chicken/turkey and rice. My questions are how much to feed daily and also if a vitamin supplement is needed could you suggest one? Thank you so very much, Happy New Year.....

It is always a really tough situation when a dog has been only fed people food and won't eat dog food.

I am definitely not a fan of just feeding chicken/turkey and rice. It is really hard to make a homemade diet that is balanced. You can buy vitamin supplements (check out Hilary's Blend) that can help, but really it's not the same as buying a well balanced dog food.

My recommendation when a dog has been spoiled with human food is to be extremely firm in only offering him dog food. A dog will not starve himself to death and will eventually eat the food that is given to him provided that you do not give in and feed him table food in between. It may take a couple of weeks for him to eventually cave. I know that two weeks seems like an eternity to go without food, but right now he is playing a game of wills and he is winning. If all he has is dog food, trust me, he will eventually eat it. He will not do his body harm by going without for a time. (This would not be true for a cat as cats can get something called fatty liver if they go without food, but a dog will not be harmed.)

I have had decent success by adding things to dog food such as IAMS gravy or even ketchup in small amounts. It may also help to soak kibbles in warm water or to give him a mixture of canned and dry food.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have questions!

Problems after enema. Hello. Our 2 year old cat has had two bouts with constipation that required a... (31201 views)

Kitten nursing on my neck. why does my 8 to 10 month old kitty keep trying to suckle at my neck. He will not... (13602 views)

Trembling head - distemper? Hi there This is the issue with my little puppy. I picked him up alone from... (5843 views)

Cat can't put weight on leg. hi basil got away from me last night down near the woods he returned about 30 mins... (19668 views)

Cat attacked by dogs. We have 5 dogs and 4 cats (mostly rescues) who have grown up together and have... (29253 views)

Does vinegar kill fleas? I have two cats, and my tenant has one as well. We are aware that they have fleas... (7345 views)

Losing weight, not eating. My 16 yr old cat has not been eating and losing weight. The vet has done bloodwork,... (37482 views)

Tapazole not working. Miss Kitty who is spayed and about 13 yrs old (we rescued her) was recently... (7542 views)

Can a feral cat be tamed? Dr. Marie - a few months ago I came across a feral cat who is now named Gypsy. I... (7215 views)

Anal sac problems. When I cane home form work I noticed that my dog was bleeding from her anus. I took... (65597 views)