Leave light on for dog?

Breed: French Bulldog
Is it necessary to leave the lights on for your dog when you go out in the evening for a few hours?

My boyfriend insists that you need to because dogs get anxious when left alone in the dark. However, this is his first dog, and I've owned many throughout my life, and none have ever seemed phased by being in the dark for a few hours (some even seemed to like it).

I'm a student studying Environmental Science/ Sustainability so I would really like to know if it is necessary to leave these lights on. However, if leaving them off is bad for our dog, I obviously would not mind leaving them on.

Thank you for your time.

This is an interesting question. I'm not sure if anyone really knows the answer to this!

My personal preference is to leave some kind of light on as it seems to make intuitive sense to me that the dog would like to have some sort of vision. We do know that when dogs go suddenly blind it can often cause anxiety. So, I would imagine that if it is extremely dark this could cause anxiety as well.

With that said, if you leave the light off and your dog does not seem to get upset (i.e. no panting, barking, pacing) then it is probably perfectly ok to leave the light off.

I wish I could point you to a more scientific answer, but I don't think any studies have been done on this.

Dog in heat a long time. i have a 7yr.old boxer who started a heat cycle in march and it is now august....she... (18674 views)

Pooping in the house. Hi Ipurchased a dog from a pet rescue organisation in Sydney just over three months... (15492 views)

Sore pug. The first time we thought something was wrong was when we took him out for his usual... (6284 views)

Dog with masticatory myositis. hi my dog has had masticatory myositis last jan and again in april and now has it... (10595 views)

Lump near nipple. She has a lump(i think so).. It's hard, and about a marble's size in... (10699 views)

Test for Cushings? My dog is breathing rapidly, about 60 times per minute, night and day, but otherwise... (6398 views)

Female dog leaking urine. Dr. Marie My 8yr old shepard mix is leaking urine more days than not she is a... (14020 views)

Runny eyes in a persian. Hi there I just recently got Chewey who is a extreme flat face persian and his eyes... (19231 views)

Sore after shots. This past Sunday my husband gave our 2 dogs their yearly shots. Our 1 dog is now... (20253 views)

Kennel Cough. Hello I am only 16 and my parents do not believe me on my concern for my dog. I do... (6293 views)