Cat urinalysis.

Breed: Domestic Short Hair
Dear Dr. Marie,

Greetings from Singapore!

My cat DB had a Urinalysis (by Cystocentesis) done on 29 Jul at the vet clinic as part of his pre-dental surgery check-up.

- Urinalysis results came back positive for Leukocytes/WBC and USG was 1.016. Trace amounts of protein. The rest were negative/normal.

- Blood tests results taken on 27 Jul were normal.

- Physical examination by vet did not reveal any abnormalities.

For the WBC, his vet put him on 7 days of Enrofloxacin (Baytril).

On 17 Aug (3 weeks later), DB had a 2nd Urinalysis (by Cystocentesis) done.

- Still positive for Leukocytes/WBC

- USG was 1.021

- pH 8

- Trace amounts of protein

DB’s vet explained that he did not felt overly concerned. He did not recommend more medication or other changes. He explained it could just be a false positive and told me to return 6 months later for blood tests.

However, I am concerned about the WBC and low USG.

Could this be an early warning sign that Chronic Kidney Disease/ Chronic Renal Failure is developing?

I am concerned as DB is 12.5 years old and overweight (5.9kg, lipase 3+). Other than that, he eats well, no weight loss, no excessive drinking and has no obvious behaviour change.

Best regards,
Jessica

Urine tests can be difficult to interpret in cats. Sometimes they can give us obvious clues that something is going wrong...but often we get results that are difficult to interpret.

In the first urinalysis, my biggest concern would be that the specific gravity is so low. A "normal" cat should have a value of 1.030 or higher. 1.016 is pretty dilute. However, it's not in the area where we say that the kidneys are not functioning properly. If the number was between 1.008 and 1.012 then I would be more concerned about kidneys. However, seeing 1.016 on one day and 1.021 (which is still a little low) on another day makes me think there may be some mild renal insufficiency. This is not kidney failure but it may mean that the kidneys are not completely working at 100%.

Renal insufficiency is very common amongst older cats. It does not necessarily mean that kidney failure will happen. But, in some cats, it can. If this were my case then I would likely want to monitor the specific gravity every 3-6 months or more frequently if you were noticing a great increase in thirst and urination or symptoms of vomiting and inappetance.

But, it's also possible that your cat will never see further issues with his kidneys.

The white blood cells in the urine are tough to interpret. I don't usually jump to putting a cat on antibiotics if I see white blood cells unless I had done a urine culture and it was positive for infection or if I was seeing clinical signs of an infection. Still, if your vet was fairly positive that there were signs of infection then this may have been the right move.

Urinary pH can be important in cats. A pH of 8 is high. This can be because of infection but it can also have other causes. A persistently high pH can lead to the formation of bladder stones which can be very serious. As such, this is something I'd want to be rechecking soon. If the pH was continuing to be high then I'd probably suggest a urine culture to rule out infection (even though some antibiotics were used). If that was normal then I'd consider putting him on a special prescription food to help keep his pH down.

At this point though it sounds like your vet has a good plan in mind.

Hope that helps,

Dear Dr. Marie,

Your answer is detailed and addresses my questions fully. I have left a very small tip for your kind concern towards my cats (this is my 5th time asking you a question).

I will consider your advice and discuss with my vet on possible future tests.

Have a good day!

Best regards,
Jessica

Thank you so much. Hope things look up from here!

Cat peeing on the carpet. My cat will not stop urinating on the carpet, she has seen a vet and has no medical... (12638 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, I got Winston when he was just 5 weeks old and he's just a little over 4... (8286 views)

Dog ate absorbent chicken pad. My dog just ate one of those absorbent pads from a chicken meat tray......would this... (74015 views)

Steroid shot and NSAID? Hi Dr. Marie, Bare with me in my lengthy explanation :) I recently found out... (9525 views)

Fluid filled lumps on ear. My dog has many lumps on her ears that feel like they are fluid filled and sensitive... (10518 views)

Should I help a sick vole? I know you only answer questions about dogs, cats, hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs,... (9339 views)

Inverted vulva and puppy vaginitis. I have purchased a Golden Retriever to be used as a new dog for breeding. She is... (42629 views)

Should tumor be removed? Hello there. My dog has a hard lump on his hind leg, which is about the size of a... (6200 views)

Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumor Two years ago, Sheena was diagnosed with neurofibrosarcoma, or peripheral nerve... (12698 views)

Puppy Strangles. litter of 12 puppies were born on April 13th and now 4 are showing signs of lumps... (7708 views)