Eye closed in hamster.

Breed: Robo Dwarf Hamster
My hamster has one eye closed all the time. There are no other hamsters living with him and never have been. He is active and eating. And since he has had the one eye closed he has been more inclined to go towards a hand in his cage. He never goes near people. He seems very healthy except for the fact that his left eye won't open. He does not seem in pain, though. What does it mean and what should I do for him?
Oh and there is no gunk around his eye or anything like a fluid. Its just like the one eye is sleeping all the time. And It has been going on for a while now. Well, at least that is what I am thinking because I noticed the new behavior a while ago, but the eye I noticed a few days ago and thought it was because I had just woken him up and put new food in. But it is still like that today, which by the time you get this was 4-7 days ago.
Thank you for you time and help,
Lauren and Mr. Roboto

Sorry to hear that Mr. Roboto is having problems.

There are a few things that could cause this.

It is possible that Mr. Roboto has scratched his eye. If so, he would need medication prescribed by the vet in order to heal from this.

An eye infection is possible as well.

Hamsters can sometimes be prone to getting infections or abscesses on their face. If there was a facial abscess that was causing some swelling it it possible that the swelling is keeping the eye closed.

It sounds to me though that he may have damaged or scratched it.

I always recommend a vet visit when it comes to eye problems.

I hope he does ok!

Hypothyroidism, diabetes and glaucoma. my 10 year old lab is hypo thyroid and diabetic 12 units twice a day. she has gone... (9188 views)

Beagle with neck pain. I have an 8-yr. old (9 in March) female beagle. Almost a month ago, one morning she... (14491 views)

No bowel movement after dentistry. Dear Dr Marie, Thank you for creating this website. I have a 12 year old male... (11243 views)

Blood on penis. My son's 3 yr old dog is fixed but had sex with a female dog. Now he is bleeding... (17219 views)

Abscess or Cancer? My 8 year old shih tzu had raptured disks surgery five months ago. He was on wheel... (9540 views)

Pathology report for mammary tumor. Shelby recently had her mammary gland removed as she had multiple tumors. This... (10111 views)

mycoplasma felis respiratory infection Hi. I asked you a question previously about Indigo and I'd really like your... (35191 views)

Saddle thrombus in a dog. In a dog, once a blood clot has broken off and is considered a saddle thrombus, how... (8541 views)

Time for euthanasia. Mr. Magoo is 14 1/2 years old. He has Cushings disease (not being treated) and... (5514 views)

Older cat coughing. My cat is heaving like she has a hairball, but nothing is coming up. She is still... (18316 views)