Eye closed in hamster.

Breed: Robo Dwarf Hamster
My hamster has one eye closed all the time. There are no other hamsters living with him and never have been. He is active and eating. And since he has had the one eye closed he has been more inclined to go towards a hand in his cage. He never goes near people. He seems very healthy except for the fact that his left eye won't open. He does not seem in pain, though. What does it mean and what should I do for him?
Oh and there is no gunk around his eye or anything like a fluid. Its just like the one eye is sleeping all the time. And It has been going on for a while now. Well, at least that is what I am thinking because I noticed the new behavior a while ago, but the eye I noticed a few days ago and thought it was because I had just woken him up and put new food in. But it is still like that today, which by the time you get this was 4-7 days ago.
Thank you for you time and help,
Lauren and Mr. Roboto

Sorry to hear that Mr. Roboto is having problems.

There are a few things that could cause this.

It is possible that Mr. Roboto has scratched his eye. If so, he would need medication prescribed by the vet in order to heal from this.

An eye infection is possible as well.

Hamsters can sometimes be prone to getting infections or abscesses on their face. If there was a facial abscess that was causing some swelling it it possible that the swelling is keeping the eye closed.

It sounds to me though that he may have damaged or scratched it.

I always recommend a vet visit when it comes to eye problems.

I hope he does ok!

Can dogs eat carrots? hi i have a rabbit and a dog. the dog is a shoodle cross between shitzu and a... (12963 views)

Kitten with white gums. My kitten is 8 weeks old she just wants to lay around she was playing with the other... (20047 views)

Dog has wound under arm. I was wondering how I would go about dressing an area on my dog under her arm? It... (8230 views)

Patches of hair loss on snout. Hi, my dog Penelope has started to develop a patch of hair loss on the right side of... (17540 views)

Laryngeal paralysis. Hi Dr. I have an 11 year old lab that has had breathing problems for some time now.... (17979 views)

Pug died suddenly. Aloha, Our beloved Pug Tobi passed away unexpectedly on Wednesday and as much as I... (7538 views)

Kitten not pooping. Hi Dr. Marie. I recently just brought a young kitten home and he is probably 4... (9741 views)

Is my cat diabetic? Ollie is consuming lots of water, and peeing a lot. There has been a marked increase... (4916 views)

Wounds by anus. hello, i have a boxer and it is the third time that he has some kind of wound inside... (17139 views)

Should older dog be spayed? Hi, I have a 10 years old chihuahua, she has no obvious health issues other than... (9689 views)