Eye closed in hamster.

Breed: Robo Dwarf Hamster
My hamster has one eye closed all the time. There are no other hamsters living with him and never have been. He is active and eating. And since he has had the one eye closed he has been more inclined to go towards a hand in his cage. He never goes near people. He seems very healthy except for the fact that his left eye won't open. He does not seem in pain, though. What does it mean and what should I do for him?
Oh and there is no gunk around his eye or anything like a fluid. Its just like the one eye is sleeping all the time. And It has been going on for a while now. Well, at least that is what I am thinking because I noticed the new behavior a while ago, but the eye I noticed a few days ago and thought it was because I had just woken him up and put new food in. But it is still like that today, which by the time you get this was 4-7 days ago.
Thank you for you time and help,
Lauren and Mr. Roboto

Sorry to hear that Mr. Roboto is having problems.

There are a few things that could cause this.

It is possible that Mr. Roboto has scratched his eye. If so, he would need medication prescribed by the vet in order to heal from this.

An eye infection is possible as well.

Hamsters can sometimes be prone to getting infections or abscesses on their face. If there was a facial abscess that was causing some swelling it it possible that the swelling is keeping the eye closed.

It sounds to me though that he may have damaged or scratched it.

I always recommend a vet visit when it comes to eye problems.

I hope he does ok!

Licking foot. In April 2010, I took my 8 year old collie for his yearly shots. About a week later,... (8556 views)

Cat is not eating. Our 6 year old male cat has not been eating or Drinking. He has not been using the... (17576 views)

Cat attacked by dog. My cat lulu was just attacked by a dog today....i'm a new mommy...and currently... (5841 views)

Painful dog. I apologize in advance for this being so long, but I want to give the history so you... (8139 views)

How long for Frontline to work An older cat has been living under my porch for a while. I am interested in bringing... (9439 views)

Sore tail. Yesterday I noticed my cat acting strange. She has been walking with her tail very... (7453 views)

Round spot on cat's leg. He has a bald patch high on his leg. we considered it might be ringworm but the... (7744 views)

How often for heat? I'm wanting to breed my female Blue Heeler. She was last in heat at the beginning of... (11200 views)

Lump on jaw. OK...my cat has a lump on her neck/jaw. One vet has told me it was an... (26496 views)

Golden retriever with lymphoma died. My golden retriever was 125 pounds (all muscle) and enjoyed perfect health for all... (31628 views)