Coughing Dog.

Breed: chihuahua
my dog is coffing all of a suden and hes haveing trouble breathing but hes acting as if hes fine if something light touches him he stops breathing i listned to his throat and it sounds like theres something in there but im 13 and i dont know what to do

Sorry to hear that Chocolate is having problems.

This is a tough question to answer without actually seeing your dog. But, I can give you a few possibilities.

If he is having spasms of breathing issues periodically throughout the day it is possible that what he is experiencing is reverse sneezing. Check out this youtube video and see if this is what he is doing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UyBrb0Hhpk

If so, there is not a lot that we do for this condition. It is not painful or harmful for most dogs.

If it seems like he has a hacking cough like he is trying to get something out of his throat it is possible that he has a virus such as kennel cough. Most dogs with kennel cough will recover within a few days but if we start to see a green discharge from the nose or if he is really feeling unwell then he may see the vet for antibiotics.

It is unlikely that there is something stuck in the throat. Otherwise, he would be in extreme distress.

There are other things that can cause coughing such as asthma, pneumonia and others. So, if you are concerned the best idea is a visit to the vet.

URTI in diabetic cat. Buster is a 14 year old male who weighs 16 pounds. He has had diabetes for 2-1/2... (12184 views)

Black widow spider bite. Hi, A good friend of mine woke up this morning and found her cat dead in her... (7595 views)

Achilles tendon problems in cat. Chloe recently started walking with her heel down to the ground on the right side(2... (11071 views)

Bumpy skin on back. My cat BonBon has a significant amount of dry, bumpy, itchy, red skin on her back... (11311 views)

Dog eating his own poop. My dog is eating his poo. He eats his poop whenever he gets the chance! Is there... (9565 views)

Diarrhea with blood. my dog, i just recently changed his dog food. and i got home and saw diarrhea... (24024 views)

Hypothyroidism? We have a 101 lbs. 7-year-old purebred Chocolate lab that has small to medium... (4800 views)

Dog died of pancreatitis. My yorkie died at the vets. She was 10 and a half. I fed her new dog food... (32783 views)

Carrots and nuts safe for dogs? Is it safe to feed her carrots or nuts of any kind? We have just been feeding them... (12825 views)

Can a neutered dog breed? Hi, I have a 2 year old chihuahua weighs 4 pounds named Frenchy Fry. I nuetered him... (26614 views)