Coughing Dog.

Breed: chihuahua
my dog is coffing all of a suden and hes haveing trouble breathing but hes acting as if hes fine if something light touches him he stops breathing i listned to his throat and it sounds like theres something in there but im 13 and i dont know what to do

Sorry to hear that Chocolate is having problems.

This is a tough question to answer without actually seeing your dog. But, I can give you a few possibilities.

If he is having spasms of breathing issues periodically throughout the day it is possible that what he is experiencing is reverse sneezing. Check out this youtube video and see if this is what he is doing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UyBrb0Hhpk

If so, there is not a lot that we do for this condition. It is not painful or harmful for most dogs.

If it seems like he has a hacking cough like he is trying to get something out of his throat it is possible that he has a virus such as kennel cough. Most dogs with kennel cough will recover within a few days but if we start to see a green discharge from the nose or if he is really feeling unwell then he may see the vet for antibiotics.

It is unlikely that there is something stuck in the throat. Otherwise, he would be in extreme distress.

There are other things that can cause coughing such as asthma, pneumonia and others. So, if you are concerned the best idea is a visit to the vet.

Dog leaking urine when sleeping. My dog is leaking urine when she is sleeping. She pees on the bed or on the couch. ... (123343 views)

Biting at cysts. I have a 13 yr old cocker who has a lot of fatty cysts, she has had them for several... (9688 views)

Puppy is very hyper. Gracey was born on July 6th..so she will be six months soon. We have had dogs all... (9127 views)

Best ear cleaner? i would like to know which solution is better to use, oti-clens or... (7008 views)

Crusty scab on cat. Last week I noticed a bare patch of skin on the back of my cat's neck about the size... (11799 views)

Risks of liver biopsy? Good morning Dr. Marie! Remember me? From last month with Oreo's bile acid test... (23967 views)

Pitbull is itchy. I have a 4 year old pitbull/lab mix that has been scratching and biting at herself.... (52431 views)

Vomiting kittens. I have two kittens, 6 mo. today. Both have received all vaccinations/shots. We had... (21177 views)

Superglue for dog's wound. He had a cut on his leg from broken glass fairly deep but not long, nor puncture. I... (26435 views)

Chattering jaw. my 2yr old lhasa apso could just be sitting and his jaw starts to shake non-stop for... (10516 views)