Coughing Dog.

Breed: chihuahua
my dog is coffing all of a suden and hes haveing trouble breathing but hes acting as if hes fine if something light touches him he stops breathing i listned to his throat and it sounds like theres something in there but im 13 and i dont know what to do

Sorry to hear that Chocolate is having problems.

This is a tough question to answer without actually seeing your dog. But, I can give you a few possibilities.

If he is having spasms of breathing issues periodically throughout the day it is possible that what he is experiencing is reverse sneezing. Check out this youtube video and see if this is what he is doing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UyBrb0Hhpk

If so, there is not a lot that we do for this condition. It is not painful or harmful for most dogs.

If it seems like he has a hacking cough like he is trying to get something out of his throat it is possible that he has a virus such as kennel cough. Most dogs with kennel cough will recover within a few days but if we start to see a green discharge from the nose or if he is really feeling unwell then he may see the vet for antibiotics.

It is unlikely that there is something stuck in the throat. Otherwise, he would be in extreme distress.

There are other things that can cause coughing such as asthma, pneumonia and others. So, if you are concerned the best idea is a visit to the vet.

Stopped prednisolone suddenly. Hi Dr. Marie, My 2.5 year old cat, Pebbles, was diagnosed with pretty severe... (23882 views)

Is this a mouth tumor? Hi, Our cat has been doing poorly lately. She went for about a month eating once... (5166 views)

Vaginal bleeding. Hi, my little desexed jack russell is bleeding slightly from her vagina when she... (100060 views)

Golden Retriever puppy diarrhea. Dr, All of a sudden last Sunday my 8 week old male Golden had two large stools... (20796 views)

Big belly in stray cat. Hello, One day a stray cat showed up at our Home, We could tell she was expecting.... (25976 views)

Allergy treatment. I know Memphis has allergies. Within the last month he has started itching his eyes.... (8892 views)

fleas from puppy We just got a new Puppy. We have had him for a month. Since about 2 weeks after we... (10653 views)

Black bumps in cat's ear. My friend has 3 cats (all unrelated) out of her 6 cats, that all have melanoma's in... (65944 views)

Dog with swollen shoulder. There is something wrong with one side of my dogs shoulder. It looks swollen but if... (19710 views)

Pit bull has pus and is off balance. Hi Dr.Marie, i was wondering if you could please answer a question for me. My dog... (8421 views)