Coughing Dog.

Breed: chihuahua
my dog is coffing all of a suden and hes haveing trouble breathing but hes acting as if hes fine if something light touches him he stops breathing i listned to his throat and it sounds like theres something in there but im 13 and i dont know what to do

Sorry to hear that Chocolate is having problems.

This is a tough question to answer without actually seeing your dog. But, I can give you a few possibilities.

If he is having spasms of breathing issues periodically throughout the day it is possible that what he is experiencing is reverse sneezing. Check out this youtube video and see if this is what he is doing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UyBrb0Hhpk

If so, there is not a lot that we do for this condition. It is not painful or harmful for most dogs.

If it seems like he has a hacking cough like he is trying to get something out of his throat it is possible that he has a virus such as kennel cough. Most dogs with kennel cough will recover within a few days but if we start to see a green discharge from the nose or if he is really feeling unwell then he may see the vet for antibiotics.

It is unlikely that there is something stuck in the throat. Otherwise, he would be in extreme distress.

There are other things that can cause coughing such as asthma, pneumonia and others. So, if you are concerned the best idea is a visit to the vet.

Did Orbax cause diarrhea? Hi Dr Marie, it's me again regarding Bandit, my 4 yr old DSH. I had e-mailed you... (9721 views)

Flying with your dog. Hello! We have recently purchased a mini schnoodle. She will be 8 weeks old when... (7790 views)

Scabby rash on belly and back. My dog has a scabby rash that she has had for about a year. At first it was just on... (19380 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. My pug has been vomiting over the last few days it started two nights ago I woke up... (34777 views)

Ovarian remnant syndrome hi i had my cat spayed a year ago and she went back into heat (full blown moaning... (16761 views)

Parvo protection. Hi Dr, My Golden is 7 weeks now. I will be taking him home next week after he's... (64179 views)

Itchy face and ears. Abbey has been itching her neck face ears area ive stopped with dog treats changed... (11005 views)

Trouble having bowel movements. ok so my pug has pooping weird lately. almost every time he goes he wines and runes... (5526 views)

Xray for hip dysplasia? Hi Dr, I was just wondering as a rule whether I should have Max x-rayed to check... (5793 views)

Is mammary tumor cancerous? I'm wondering whether to remove a small tumor from my 7 yr old chihuahua/dachshund's... (5222 views)