Coughing Dog.

Breed: chihuahua
my dog is coffing all of a suden and hes haveing trouble breathing but hes acting as if hes fine if something light touches him he stops breathing i listned to his throat and it sounds like theres something in there but im 13 and i dont know what to do

Sorry to hear that Chocolate is having problems.

This is a tough question to answer without actually seeing your dog. But, I can give you a few possibilities.

If he is having spasms of breathing issues periodically throughout the day it is possible that what he is experiencing is reverse sneezing. Check out this youtube video and see if this is what he is doing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UyBrb0Hhpk

If so, there is not a lot that we do for this condition. It is not painful or harmful for most dogs.

If it seems like he has a hacking cough like he is trying to get something out of his throat it is possible that he has a virus such as kennel cough. Most dogs with kennel cough will recover within a few days but if we start to see a green discharge from the nose or if he is really feeling unwell then he may see the vet for antibiotics.

It is unlikely that there is something stuck in the throat. Otherwise, he would be in extreme distress.

There are other things that can cause coughing such as asthma, pneumonia and others. So, if you are concerned the best idea is a visit to the vet.

Dog spinning and bothered My dog doesn't have flea's but acts like he is being bothered by something. He... (12466 views)

Vomiting yellow liquid. Maynard has been vomiting up yellowish urine colored liquid a few time in the last... (9034 views)

How to socialize fearful dog. how do you socialize a fearful dog? this dog I have will not go by anyone, if I walk... (11573 views)

Swollen painful gums. Stomatitis? Other vets have been trying to figure out what is wrong, or how to help Yoko. Her... (16890 views)

Sheltie leaking urine. We have noticed that my spayed 5 1/2 year female Sheltie has been leaking a little... (14572 views)

Fishy smelling urine. Hi - my dog Bluebell has had a fishy smell to her urine for quite some time and... (30492 views)

Abdominal mass in a cat. My husband and I put down our Ivy today. It was rather sudden and unexpected and... (47307 views)

Coughing dog. I have two very healthy Min Pins. Well I had two healthy dogs. Last weekend we... (5311 views)

Kitten won't get out of litter box. PLEASE HELP...MY RAGDOLL KITTEN 9 WKS OLD WONT GET OUT OF THE LITTERBOX HARDLY AT... (10480 views)

Is my dog pregnant? i was woke up this morning mu my female pup crying and yelping. so i found her... (15943 views)