Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Cat ate vitamin D3.

Species: Cat
Breed: Maine Coon mix
Age: 5-8 years
I believe my cat accidentally ingested a 1000iu capsule of
Vitamin D3
I read your advice to a dog owner in a similar situation. Is the toxicity level and safe dose calculation similar
For cats?
Thank you
Cat:
Mainly indoor, approx. 18 lbs
Approx. 9 years old


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Thanks for your question. I don't get too many questions where cats eat medications. Usually it's the dogs that are most likely to get into things like this!

The question you referenced is here: Dog ate Vitamin D.

The toxic dose for Vitamin D is the same for cats as it is for dogs. This would be 0.1mg/kg. So let's do some math here.

18lbs is 8.1kg

1000 units of vitamin D3 is 0.025mg

So, your cat received 0.025mg per 8.1kg which works out to 0.003 mg/kg.

This is well below the toxic dose of 0.1 mg/kg.

When I answer questions like this, I have to cover myself legally as I can't legally make a diagnosis or give distinct medical advice over the internet without knowing your pet. So, I would definitely advise that you give your vet a call on Monday just to confirm that everything should be ok just to be sure. But in the meantime it is very unlikely that you have to worry.

Dr. Marie.


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Customer reply:

I am very happy to have found your website. My cat does not do very well riding in cars. He was extremely stressed, hyperventilated and took almost 24 hours to recover from the previous 20 minute car ride. Your advice saved me and kitty from the stress we would have endured taking him to the emergency vet.
I will contact you again with questions regarding my other animals.
Thank you so much.


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

You're very welcome! Thanks for the kind words. :)

Dr. Marie.



Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Interstitial cystitis? Charlotte is constantly squatting as if she has to go, but nothing is coming out. I... (9974 views)

Cat fell from the balcony. HI,Please,i Know i Didnt paid you! But i dont have credit card,and i think my cat... (10027 views)

Lump on dog's head. Within a week or two I noticed a bump on Badger's head (about center back behind... (31482 views)

Heart disease or cancer? Lazarus is still fighting. I appreciated that you understood my humor on the last... (4629 views)

Cat has fleas. My poor cat has fleas, he is losing hair and is just miserable. I am looking for a... (5140 views)

Is he really gone? My very elderly dog very sadly had to be put to sleep a few days ago. This was... (30823 views)

Large mammary glands. Our dog is a black + tan kelpie and has just had her first litter of puppies, six in... (10349 views)

Shih Tzu not eating. He stopped eating 6 days ago. Yesterday the vet said temperature, fecal, urine,... (31446 views)

Dog can't pee after accident. brandy got ran over about 4 days ago,,, she is walking with a lamp,,, eating and... (14806 views)

Liver shunt surgery. Recently I found out that the kitten I adopted a few months ago has a Portosystemic... (8058 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.