Cat ate vitamin D3.

Breed: Maine Coon mix
I believe my cat accidentally ingested a 1000iu capsule of
Vitamin D3
I read your advice to a dog owner in a similar situation. Is the toxicity level and safe dose calculation similar
For cats?
Thank you
Cat:
Mainly indoor, approx. 18 lbs
Approx. 9 years old

Thanks for your question. I don't get too many questions where cats eat medications. Usually it's the dogs that are most likely to get into things like this!

The question you referenced is here: Dog ate Vitamin D.

The toxic dose for Vitamin D is the same for cats as it is for dogs. This would be 0.1mg/kg. So let's do some math here.

18lbs is 8.1kg

1000 units of vitamin D3 is 0.025mg

So, your cat received 0.025mg per 8.1kg which works out to 0.003 mg/kg.

This is well below the toxic dose of 0.1 mg/kg.

When I answer questions like this, I have to cover myself legally as I can't legally make a diagnosis or give distinct medical advice over the internet without knowing your pet. So, I would definitely advise that you give your vet a call on Monday just to confirm that everything should be ok just to be sure. But in the meantime it is very unlikely that you have to worry.

I am very happy to have found your website. My cat does not do very well riding in cars. He was extremely stressed, hyperventilated and took almost 24 hours to recover from the previous 20 minute car ride. Your advice saved me and kitty from the stress we would have endured taking him to the emergency vet.
I will contact you again with questions regarding my other animals.
Thank you so much.

You're very welcome! Thanks for the kind words. :)

Dog with pancreatitis. My dog was taken to the vet Monday morning and I was told he had pancreatitis. I... (11524 views)

Swollen paw in a cat. My year old cat's right paw is bloated , I tried to look more closely and the fur... (19787 views)

Black lump under cat's eye. Few months ago, there is a small tiny transparent bubble grow under the skin below... (16163 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea. Is my dog dying? My dog vomitted yesterday, then she had a very loose stool in my kitchen. She never... (31861 views)

Sore anus after using chlorox wipe. I put a Clorox Disenfecting Wipes on my dog's anus. It's been a couple of days and... (12202 views)

Dog has a runny eye. Hi Marie! Aprox. 2 months ago, Hope's one eye started to water and run a clear... (20369 views)

Cat licking his fur. Good evening, My 4 year old tuxedo cat has always been quite special (he meows... (12268 views)

Itchy dog. Desirae was gave to us,she was dirty and i belive she was kept outside,when we got... (5422 views)

Sick hamster or hibernating. Please help ! My hamster is not moving now but it is breathing.. I am not sure about... (16553 views)

Mole on dog's leg. My dog has what looks like a mole on his leg, do dogs have moles or should I take... (13551 views)