Cat ate vitamin D3.

Breed: Maine Coon mix
I believe my cat accidentally ingested a 1000iu capsule of
Vitamin D3
I read your advice to a dog owner in a similar situation. Is the toxicity level and safe dose calculation similar
For cats?
Thank you
Cat:
Mainly indoor, approx. 18 lbs
Approx. 9 years old

Thanks for your question. I don't get too many questions where cats eat medications. Usually it's the dogs that are most likely to get into things like this!

The question you referenced is here: Dog ate Vitamin D.

The toxic dose for Vitamin D is the same for cats as it is for dogs. This would be 0.1mg/kg. So let's do some math here.

18lbs is 8.1kg

1000 units of vitamin D3 is 0.025mg

So, your cat received 0.025mg per 8.1kg which works out to 0.003 mg/kg.

This is well below the toxic dose of 0.1 mg/kg.

When I answer questions like this, I have to cover myself legally as I can't legally make a diagnosis or give distinct medical advice over the internet without knowing your pet. So, I would definitely advise that you give your vet a call on Monday just to confirm that everything should be ok just to be sure. But in the meantime it is very unlikely that you have to worry.

I am very happy to have found your website. My cat does not do very well riding in cars. He was extremely stressed, hyperventilated and took almost 24 hours to recover from the previous 20 minute car ride. Your advice saved me and kitty from the stress we would have endured taking him to the emergency vet.
I will contact you again with questions regarding my other animals.
Thank you so much.

You're very welcome! Thanks for the kind words. :)

Dog is losing weight. I have a 7yr old larger sized min pin. Had her fixed at 1yrs old and she has always... (9775 views)

Can dogs get chlamydia? I recently found out that i had Chlamydia, my dog hank has a bad habit of getting... (36202 views)

Abscess on dog's neck. We have been keeping an eye on a hard lump on my boxers upper neck, by ear. It... (38492 views)

Tapazole not working. Miss Kitty who is spayed and about 13 yrs old (we rescued her) was recently... (8172 views)

Dog jealous over owner. My female dog is 2 years old. She's a black lab. She had puppies and my boyfriend... (19622 views)

Worms in dog's poop. My dog is 1 year and 6 months, she has worms. My husband and I saw signs of it about... (5808 views)

Raw, sore nose. Hi there I have a 5 year old Malamute named Mika about a year ago she was attatcked... (8207 views)

Puppy vomiting with blood. my puppy was born on december 18, she was born a normal pup but now she and her... (8198 views)

Maggots in guinea pig cage. Dr. Marie, I found maggots in my guinea pig cage today. what should I do? They seem... (19508 views)

Licking at lump on leg. Hi! My name is Sachiyo Ono and I have a question about my pet. I am only 14 so I... (25528 views)