Cat ate vitamin D3.

Breed: Maine Coon mix
I believe my cat accidentally ingested a 1000iu capsule of
Vitamin D3
I read your advice to a dog owner in a similar situation. Is the toxicity level and safe dose calculation similar
For cats?
Thank you
Cat:
Mainly indoor, approx. 18 lbs
Approx. 9 years old

Thanks for your question. I don't get too many questions where cats eat medications. Usually it's the dogs that are most likely to get into things like this!

The question you referenced is here: Dog ate Vitamin D.

The toxic dose for Vitamin D is the same for cats as it is for dogs. This would be 0.1mg/kg. So let's do some math here.

18lbs is 8.1kg

1000 units of vitamin D3 is 0.025mg

So, your cat received 0.025mg per 8.1kg which works out to 0.003 mg/kg.

This is well below the toxic dose of 0.1 mg/kg.

When I answer questions like this, I have to cover myself legally as I can't legally make a diagnosis or give distinct medical advice over the internet without knowing your pet. So, I would definitely advise that you give your vet a call on Monday just to confirm that everything should be ok just to be sure. But in the meantime it is very unlikely that you have to worry.

I am very happy to have found your website. My cat does not do very well riding in cars. He was extremely stressed, hyperventilated and took almost 24 hours to recover from the previous 20 minute car ride. Your advice saved me and kitty from the stress we would have endured taking him to the emergency vet.
I will contact you again with questions regarding my other animals.
Thank you so much.

You're very welcome! Thanks for the kind words. :)

Fearful Sheltie. my dog is very nervous of new people and places. she is very nervous and can't focus... (10226 views)

How to get cat to lose weight? Cinder is about 16-18 lbs. She has a large frame for a Female, per the vet, but my... (5523 views)

How to get cat to eat. I have a cat that developed anorexia. She lost so much weight that she developed... (6326 views)

Constipated cat. my cat is constapated is there a laxative for cats what can i do for him to help him... (6787 views)

Old deaf dog. my dog is 16 yrs old and since he's gone deaf he gets very agitated when left,... (9247 views)

Large lump on dog's side. A lump (about the size of a quarter) showed up suddenly on his side, about an inch... (24950 views)

Very sick kitten. Thursday 4/21 daughter rescued kitten from tomcat in my mom's backyard. Kitten... (21777 views)

Stomatitis and FIV. my cat has stomatitus and fiv. i hate to give her up but she may be suffering and i... (14920 views)

Brown spots and hair loss. Hi again Dr. Marie, My 6 year old Golden Retriever is itchy. I noticed that she... (18831 views)

Where can I buy Tramadol? Steve has a degenerative disease.He is doing well.I give him steroids almost every... (55213 views)