Cat ate vitamin D3.

Breed: Maine Coon mix
I believe my cat accidentally ingested a 1000iu capsule of
Vitamin D3
I read your advice to a dog owner in a similar situation. Is the toxicity level and safe dose calculation similar
For cats?
Thank you
Cat:
Mainly indoor, approx. 18 lbs
Approx. 9 years old

Thanks for your question. I don't get too many questions where cats eat medications. Usually it's the dogs that are most likely to get into things like this!

The question you referenced is here: Dog ate Vitamin D.

The toxic dose for Vitamin D is the same for cats as it is for dogs. This would be 0.1mg/kg. So let's do some math here.

18lbs is 8.1kg

1000 units of vitamin D3 is 0.025mg

So, your cat received 0.025mg per 8.1kg which works out to 0.003 mg/kg.

This is well below the toxic dose of 0.1 mg/kg.

When I answer questions like this, I have to cover myself legally as I can't legally make a diagnosis or give distinct medical advice over the internet without knowing your pet. So, I would definitely advise that you give your vet a call on Monday just to confirm that everything should be ok just to be sure. But in the meantime it is very unlikely that you have to worry.

I am very happy to have found your website. My cat does not do very well riding in cars. He was extremely stressed, hyperventilated and took almost 24 hours to recover from the previous 20 minute car ride. Your advice saved me and kitty from the stress we would have endured taking him to the emergency vet.
I will contact you again with questions regarding my other animals.
Thank you so much.

You're very welcome! Thanks for the kind words. :)

Is this distemper? I live in Mexico and I rescued Trinket when she was 8 to 10 weeks old. She had... (10263 views)

White spot on dog's nose. sadie has a white spot below her nose right in the middle of the muzzle i can't tell... (35570 views)

Brown spots on puppy's belly. Hi Doctor. I've noticed an area along my puppies belly down to her private area... (55885 views)

Is my dog pregnant? my dog had puppies about 7 months ago and i wasn't home often to make sure her and... (15647 views)

Arthritis medicine for dogs. Zoey recently has been having trouble walking. I think it may be her hips? She does... (8173 views)

Allergic reaction. Harley is having the following symptoms. Shaking head regularly licking... (5987 views)

Puppy ate Imodium We think our 11-week-old puppy ate an Imodium. He weighs 6.5 pounds. Do we need to... (28273 views)

Calicivirus questions My cat has just had all of her teeth removed because of stomatitis. My vet said... (10396 views)

Cat with a cold. My cat has a cold, and i was wondering if there is anything i can do at home for her... (19842 views)

Cat vomited 5 times. I came home this morning and i found about 5 vomit spots in my living room. when i... (44568 views)