Feline acne?

Breed: Gray-White Med Hair
Dr. Marie,

About a week ago I noticed a small grayish black nodule on my cat's lip. It seems to have come up suddenly and has not changed since I first noticed it. At first I thought it could be a burn as he has taken to chewing on power cords recently, but there doesn't appear to be any healing. He has iris melanosis of the left eye. The veterinary ophthalmologist took a look last June and said no melanoma. There have been no changes to his iris appearance since June (no pigmentation change, nodules, lesions, elevations, pupil distortion, etc). Here is a link to a picture of the lesion on his lip. Should I be worried?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69731743@N02/8587989102/in/photostream

Carrie

Thanks for sharing this excellent photo with me:

feline acne

Now, I can't officially give you a diagnosis over the internet but I can tell you that this looks very similar to feline acne. We don't know why cats get acne. Often it will look like little blackheads. The acne is usually on the chin or lip.

If there is just one dot and it doesn't seem to be bothering him then I wouldn't be worried about it and I wouldn't recommend doing anything. However, if there are lots of them or they seem to be inflamed and bothersome then it's best to see the vet to get some treatment. I will sometimes treat these with a human product like Oxy-pads. Or, I will sometimes prescribe a special cream for them.

It is believed that some cats get acne from an allergy to plastic, so if Gizmo eats out of plastic dishes at all, I would change those to either glass or ceramic or stainless steel. Also, be sure that the dishes are kept nice and clean.

If this one spot gets much larger or starts to ulcerate (open up) then it's worthwhile to have your vet take a look. Another possibility is an eosinophilic ulcer which is again, not a huge deal, but often needs steroids in order to clear up.

Something like a tumor would be quite unlikely.

I hope that helps!

Red spot near vulva. My six-year-old spayed, lab mix has a small red area near her vulva. She bites and... (22167 views)

Dog is balding. can any1 give advice i got a staff dog male hes 4yrs old over the last 5 days hes... (8574 views)

Pregnant cat in heat? I thought Clhoe was pregnant , she went into (Heat)a month ago and was seen being...... (13642 views)

Azithromycin and cat death. I run my own rescue group. I do all the cleaning, transporting, adopting, and I... (10080 views)

Lump near nipple. Dear Dr. Marie: Hello again! I found what I think may be a lump under Jammy's... (69557 views)

Infected spay incision? My puppy was spade last Thursday and I'm worried her incision is not healing... (52150 views)

Is ketoconazole safe? Hi. My 6 y/o Papillon has suffered fron skin problems his whole life. I've been told... (4612 views)

Frequent urination in puppy. Dr. Marie, We have a brand new 7 week old bullmastiff female, named June...I have... (25263 views)

Cat is eating less and vomiting. Bernie has been on Royal Canin wet Overweight Management food for awhile. Lately he... (4761 views)

Dental problems in 20 year old cat. My cat Jack, who is 20 yrs old and has a predominant heart murmur and obviously a... (12948 views)