Feline acne?

Breed: Gray-White Med Hair
Dr. Marie,

About a week ago I noticed a small grayish black nodule on my cat's lip. It seems to have come up suddenly and has not changed since I first noticed it. At first I thought it could be a burn as he has taken to chewing on power cords recently, but there doesn't appear to be any healing. He has iris melanosis of the left eye. The veterinary ophthalmologist took a look last June and said no melanoma. There have been no changes to his iris appearance since June (no pigmentation change, nodules, lesions, elevations, pupil distortion, etc). Here is a link to a picture of the lesion on his lip. Should I be worried?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69731743@N02/8587989102/in/photostream

Carrie

Thanks for sharing this excellent photo with me:

feline acne

Now, I can't officially give you a diagnosis over the internet but I can tell you that this looks very similar to feline acne. We don't know why cats get acne. Often it will look like little blackheads. The acne is usually on the chin or lip.

If there is just one dot and it doesn't seem to be bothering him then I wouldn't be worried about it and I wouldn't recommend doing anything. However, if there are lots of them or they seem to be inflamed and bothersome then it's best to see the vet to get some treatment. I will sometimes treat these with a human product like Oxy-pads. Or, I will sometimes prescribe a special cream for them.

It is believed that some cats get acne from an allergy to plastic, so if Gizmo eats out of plastic dishes at all, I would change those to either glass or ceramic or stainless steel. Also, be sure that the dishes are kept nice and clean.

If this one spot gets much larger or starts to ulcerate (open up) then it's worthwhile to have your vet take a look. Another possibility is an eosinophilic ulcer which is again, not a huge deal, but often needs steroids in order to clear up.

Something like a tumor would be quite unlikely.

I hope that helps!

Bumps on schnauzer. Hi Dr. Marie, Firstly, I'd like to thank you for this very valuable, yet... (34915 views)

Fishy smell from dog. My boston terrier puts off a fishy smell. It doesn't happen all the time, but... (33528 views)

Cold paws and sore belly. My cat is in really bad shape, at first, she was really bloated and meowed in pain... (12178 views)

Pit Bull doesn't want to walk. Okay, A few minuets ago I went on a walk/jog with my playful Putbull/Lab, I had... (9081 views)

Itchy dog. Hi Dr Marie, Recall my email a couple of weeks ago about Max and his... (9304 views)

Puppy vomiting with blood. my puppy was born on december 18, she was born a normal pup but now she and her... (9578 views)

Should we continue with antibiotics? Dear Dr. Marie, I'm writing about my cat who had a skin allergy which started... (7789 views)

Infected spay incision? Puppy got spayed about 12 days ago and her incision was healing really quickly. Now,... (78943 views)

Vomiting after eating. My cat will vomit after eating several times a week. She will also 'leak' or 'drip'... (27877 views)

In pain after spay. Our dog got spayed 2 days ago and she still cries in pain quite a bit. I was... (12494 views)