Feline acne?

Breed: Gray-White Med Hair
Dr. Marie,

About a week ago I noticed a small grayish black nodule on my cat's lip. It seems to have come up suddenly and has not changed since I first noticed it. At first I thought it could be a burn as he has taken to chewing on power cords recently, but there doesn't appear to be any healing. He has iris melanosis of the left eye. The veterinary ophthalmologist took a look last June and said no melanoma. There have been no changes to his iris appearance since June (no pigmentation change, nodules, lesions, elevations, pupil distortion, etc). Here is a link to a picture of the lesion on his lip. Should I be worried?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69731743@N02/8587989102/in/photostream

Carrie

Thanks for sharing this excellent photo with me:

feline acne

Now, I can't officially give you a diagnosis over the internet but I can tell you that this looks very similar to feline acne. We don't know why cats get acne. Often it will look like little blackheads. The acne is usually on the chin or lip.

If there is just one dot and it doesn't seem to be bothering him then I wouldn't be worried about it and I wouldn't recommend doing anything. However, if there are lots of them or they seem to be inflamed and bothersome then it's best to see the vet to get some treatment. I will sometimes treat these with a human product like Oxy-pads. Or, I will sometimes prescribe a special cream for them.

It is believed that some cats get acne from an allergy to plastic, so if Gizmo eats out of plastic dishes at all, I would change those to either glass or ceramic or stainless steel. Also, be sure that the dishes are kept nice and clean.

If this one spot gets much larger or starts to ulcerate (open up) then it's worthwhile to have your vet take a look. Another possibility is an eosinophilic ulcer which is again, not a huge deal, but often needs steroids in order to clear up.

Something like a tumor would be quite unlikely.

I hope that helps!

Brian tumor? Two months ago, my dog had his first seizure ever. He was taking Gabapentin (disc... (5855 views)

Urinating in house. Our cat Alice was involved in a fight in the garden with another cat. SHe had a sore... (10660 views)

Antibiotics for anal glands? Hi I have written before about our unique living situation. We are expats with... (6932 views)

Dog is limping after back surgery. Chloe is 9yrs of age. She has been lame in her left hind leg for the past 3 yrs but... (8561 views)

Pomeranian in pain. I have a 4 year old pom. All of a sudden, 3 weeks ago he started having abdominal... (15270 views)

Why did my cat die? Hello, The other day, our cat Misty (she would have been 16-years-old next month)... (13133 views)

Fly bites on dog's ears. My dogs are having problems with fly, on their ears what should I do, to help them. ... (8984 views)

Floppy ear in German Shepherd. Hello my name is nick and i have a purebred west german shepherd from working lines.... (22887 views)

Bad smell on dog. Our doxie gets the worst smell coming from her vagina area. Whatever she sits on,... (107030 views)

Dog's baby teeth not out. Hi Dr Marie, Happy Holidays to you. I have a question. I don't think this is a... (13226 views)