Feline acne?

Breed: Gray-White Med Hair
Dr. Marie,

About a week ago I noticed a small grayish black nodule on my cat's lip. It seems to have come up suddenly and has not changed since I first noticed it. At first I thought it could be a burn as he has taken to chewing on power cords recently, but there doesn't appear to be any healing. He has iris melanosis of the left eye. The veterinary ophthalmologist took a look last June and said no melanoma. There have been no changes to his iris appearance since June (no pigmentation change, nodules, lesions, elevations, pupil distortion, etc). Here is a link to a picture of the lesion on his lip. Should I be worried?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69731743@N02/8587989102/in/photostream

Carrie

Thanks for sharing this excellent photo with me:

feline acne

Now, I can't officially give you a diagnosis over the internet but I can tell you that this looks very similar to feline acne. We don't know why cats get acne. Often it will look like little blackheads. The acne is usually on the chin or lip.

If there is just one dot and it doesn't seem to be bothering him then I wouldn't be worried about it and I wouldn't recommend doing anything. However, if there are lots of them or they seem to be inflamed and bothersome then it's best to see the vet to get some treatment. I will sometimes treat these with a human product like Oxy-pads. Or, I will sometimes prescribe a special cream for them.

It is believed that some cats get acne from an allergy to plastic, so if Gizmo eats out of plastic dishes at all, I would change those to either glass or ceramic or stainless steel. Also, be sure that the dishes are kept nice and clean.

If this one spot gets much larger or starts to ulcerate (open up) then it's worthwhile to have your vet take a look. Another possibility is an eosinophilic ulcer which is again, not a huge deal, but often needs steroids in order to clear up.

Something like a tumor would be quite unlikely.

I hope that helps!

Swollen paw pad. Max has had a swollen pad(front paw...the one further up the leg) for about a week.... (15421 views)

Rabbit with maggots Our rabbit was not eating and was shaking this morning. We discovered there were... (10370 views)

Sore leg in 16 year old cat. Hello We have a cat that is about 16 years old. The last couple of days she has... (5493 views)

Vomiting and congested. Got a new kitten Older cat now is throwing up saliva in its mouth and has now... (20104 views)

Mycoplasma in rats. Hi, my name is Ann and I have two rats, Pinky and Roc. Unfortunately, one has... (10646 views)

Worms in stool. My dogs stool has a lot of worms in it. My Mom's friends takes care of a lot of... (18120 views)

Crusty ears on a cat. My just over 3 month old, 100% indoor kitten has some crustiness on both tip/edge of... (24003 views)

Coughing older dog. Parker is a slightly smaller than average Wheaten mix who has been overweight most... (5730 views)

Does my cat have asthma? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat is on Clindomycin for an allergy she was determined to... (11780 views)

Pregnant 10 month old dog. my mini doberman is 10 months and shes pregnant can she die? and how many dogs can... (13273 views)