Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Pink bumps on dog.

Species: Dog
Breed: Chinese Crested Powd
Age: 8-11 years
My dog has two small bumps on top of his head. I took a picture, but I don't see a place to attach it. I thought they might be ticks, as that is the size of them, but they aren't ticks - one is very pale pink and it's been there for about a year. I don't think his vet noticed it , or didn't think anything of it, but now there's another one and it's deep red like a pimple that's about to burst. In fact, they both look like pimples. Is there a way to show you a picture? Please let me know if it sounds like something we need to go back to the vet for or if it's nothing to worry about.

Jack is very healthy and hasn't had any medical issues.

Thanks,
Heather


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Hi Heather, this is Penny from Ask A Vet Question. Dr. Marie will be answering questions later, but I wanted to let you know that if you had photos you could send them to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Thanks!


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Thanks for your question. Here is the photo that you sent me that shows the bumps:

pink bumps on dog

Now, keep in mind when I answer this that having me look at photos doesn't take the place of an in person vet visit. I won't be able to tell you for certain what these are, but I'll give you my thoughts.

My first thought is that both of these are warts. The one that is pinker may have recently been bumped or scratched and may be inflamed. If these are warts then there is nothing to be concerned about.

The next possibility is that these are tiny cysts which again would be nothing to worry about.

My one concern (although this is unlikely) is if the more dark pink bump is something called a mast cell tumor. These can indeed be serious and would need to be removed.

I would likely keep an eye on them for now. If the darker one is getting larger or seems to be bothersome to the dog then I would have your vet take a look.

Hope that helps!

Dr. Marie.



Customer reply:

Dr. Marie's,

Thanks so much for your response! If they are indeed warts, I have 3 quick questions. Also, I think its my fault that one is dark red because I thought it may have been a tick and tried to remove it and instead inflamed it. Therefore, they may just be warts afterall!

1. How do dogs get warts and are they painful? wash Jack regularly. Is there something I can do to prevent them?

2. Is there something I can put on them to get rid of them (if they are warts)?

3. Are they contagious to people if I touch and kiss his head?

Thank you!
Heather


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

It certainly is possible that one wart is inflamed because you've been working at it! Don't worry, you're not the first owner I've seen who thought a wart was a tick.

Now, to answer your questions:

1. We don't know why dogs get warts. There is a theory that the dog may have been exposed to a virus when he was younger. But really, we don't know. It's quite normal. There's nothing you can do to prevent them.

2. There is nothing you can use to get rid of them at home. Don't try Compound-W or human wart creams. They won't work. The vet may have a cryotherapy unit that can freeze the warts off. I will usually offer this to my clients but really, the warts are cosmetic and not usually bothersome to the dog at all.

3. They are definitely not contagious to people or pets!

Hope that helps!

Dr. Marie.



Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Cat pawing at mouth My cat has been like this for 2 days now, he looked like he was chokeing at first,... (28133 views)

Diabetic cat problems. I have a diabetic cat who gets 4ml ProZinc 2x per day with meals. Normally she is... (6618 views)

Did I cause my cat's brain injuries? hi ya i was playing with my cat and it scrap me bad so i slapped him on the head he... (19215 views)

Older dog acting strange. I have had Dakota since he was 3 months old and he will be 12 in January. The... (11349 views)

Lethargic and following me around. Hi, My dog Harley is 3 yrs old. Starting 2 days ago he hasn't been acting like... (13149 views)

Seborrheic dermatitis in Irish Setter. i have a 12yr old irish setter who has seborrheic dermatitis. she has the scaley... (11336 views)

Hamster with cushing's disease hi a am mina. i have 10 hamester. Unfortunately "blaki" (my Hamster) Maybe have... (9766 views)

Vet care discount for seniors. My cat vomited today(29.10.10) and she is in a quite bad mood, i want to get a check... (10251 views)

Lesions on foot pads. my cat is missing large pieces of skin on its foot pads after getting scabs all over... (8797 views)

Antibiotics for stuffed up nose. Hello again Dr. Marie, writing again about our dog Sparky and have some questions.... (5938 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.