Pink bumps on dog.

Breed: Chinese Crested Powd
My dog has two small bumps on top of his head. I took a picture, but I don't see a place to attach it. I thought they might be ticks, as that is the size of them, but they aren't ticks - one is very pale pink and it's been there for about a year. I don't think his vet noticed it , or didn't think anything of it, but now there's another one and it's deep red like a pimple that's about to burst. In fact, they both look like pimples. Is there a way to show you a picture? Please let me know if it sounds like something we need to go back to the vet for or if it's nothing to worry about.

Jack is very healthy and hasn't had any medical issues.

Heather

Hi Heather, this is Penny from Ask A Vet Question. Dr. Marie will be answering questions later, but I wanted to let you know that if you had photos you could send them to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Thanks for your question. Here is the photo that you sent me that shows the bumps:

pink bumps on dog

Now, keep in mind when I answer this that having me look at photos doesn't take the place of an in person vet visit. I won't be able to tell you for certain what these are, but I'll give you my thoughts.

My first thought is that both of these are warts. The one that is pinker may have recently been bumped or scratched and may be inflamed. If these are warts then there is nothing to be concerned about.

The next possibility is that these are tiny cysts which again would be nothing to worry about.

My one concern (although this is unlikely) is if the more dark pink bump is something called a mast cell tumor. These can indeed be serious and would need to be removed.

I would likely keep an eye on them for now. If the darker one is getting larger or seems to be bothersome to the dog then I would have your vet take a look.

Dr. Marie's,

Thanks so much for your response! If they are indeed warts, I have 3 quick questions. Also, I think its my fault that one is dark red because I thought it may have been a tick and tried to remove it and instead inflamed it. Therefore, they may just be warts afterall!

1. How do dogs get warts and are they painful? wash Jack regularly. Is there something I can do to prevent them?

2. Is there something I can put on them to get rid of them (if they are warts)?

3. Are they contagious to people if I touch and kiss his head?

Thank you!
Heather

It certainly is possible that one wart is inflamed because you've been working at it! Don't worry, you're not the first owner I've seen who thought a wart was a tick.

Now, to answer your questions:

1. We don't know why dogs get warts. There is a theory that the dog may have been exposed to a virus when he was younger. But really, we don't know. It's quite normal. There's nothing you can do to prevent them.

2. There is nothing you can use to get rid of them at home. Don't try Compound-W or human wart creams. They won't work. The vet may have a cryotherapy unit that can freeze the warts off. I will usually offer this to my clients but really, the warts are cosmetic and not usually bothersome to the dog at all.

3. They are definitely not contagious to people or pets!

Swollen face after tooth removal. Two months ago, Chuck (our elderly dog who's become more and more aggressive when... (16189 views)

Cat with painful lump. my outside cat just recently got a big lump on the right side of his stomach and he... (13193 views)

Can't get rid of fleas. Lately my dog has been non stop scratching and biting his skin. His skin becomes... (5996 views)

Older dog - bloody diarrhea. My dog is a 12 1/2 yr old cocker spaniel/golden retriever mix. She's had diarrhea... (25954 views)

Hamster has crusty eye. my hamster is 2 years old and a week ago i noticed his right eye has crusted over i... (6435 views)

Golden Retriever puppy diarrhea. Dr, All of a sudden last Sunday my 8 week old male Golden had two large stools... (15014 views)

Heart enlargement? Hi I have a female terrier dog, Fido and she is 9 years old. Couple of months ago my... (3392 views)

Dog is going blind. Blacky is going blind, we have no idea what is causing it , he is a healthy dog,,,... (6120 views)

Sheltie is afraid of people. I have a one year old female Sheltie. she is very nervous around people. She was... (11160 views)

Dog in heat a long time. i have a 7yr.old boxer who started a heat cycle in march and it is now august....she... (13348 views)