Pink bumps on dog.

Breed: Chinese Crested Powd
My dog has two small bumps on top of his head. I took a picture, but I don't see a place to attach it. I thought they might be ticks, as that is the size of them, but they aren't ticks - one is very pale pink and it's been there for about a year. I don't think his vet noticed it , or didn't think anything of it, but now there's another one and it's deep red like a pimple that's about to burst. In fact, they both look like pimples. Is there a way to show you a picture? Please let me know if it sounds like something we need to go back to the vet for or if it's nothing to worry about.

Jack is very healthy and hasn't had any medical issues.

Heather

Hi Heather, this is Penny from Ask A Vet Question. Dr. Marie will be answering questions later, but I wanted to let you know that if you had photos you could send them to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Thanks for your question. Here is the photo that you sent me that shows the bumps:

pink bumps on dog

Now, keep in mind when I answer this that having me look at photos doesn't take the place of an in person vet visit. I won't be able to tell you for certain what these are, but I'll give you my thoughts.

My first thought is that both of these are warts. The one that is pinker may have recently been bumped or scratched and may be inflamed. If these are warts then there is nothing to be concerned about.

The next possibility is that these are tiny cysts which again would be nothing to worry about.

My one concern (although this is unlikely) is if the more dark pink bump is something called a mast cell tumor. These can indeed be serious and would need to be removed.

I would likely keep an eye on them for now. If the darker one is getting larger or seems to be bothersome to the dog then I would have your vet take a look.

Dr. Marie's,

Thanks so much for your response! If they are indeed warts, I have 3 quick questions. Also, I think its my fault that one is dark red because I thought it may have been a tick and tried to remove it and instead inflamed it. Therefore, they may just be warts afterall!

1. How do dogs get warts and are they painful? wash Jack regularly. Is there something I can do to prevent them?

2. Is there something I can put on them to get rid of them (if they are warts)?

3. Are they contagious to people if I touch and kiss his head?

Thank you!
Heather

It certainly is possible that one wart is inflamed because you've been working at it! Don't worry, you're not the first owner I've seen who thought a wart was a tick.

Now, to answer your questions:

1. We don't know why dogs get warts. There is a theory that the dog may have been exposed to a virus when he was younger. But really, we don't know. It's quite normal. There's nothing you can do to prevent them.

2. There is nothing you can use to get rid of them at home. Don't try Compound-W or human wart creams. They won't work. The vet may have a cryotherapy unit that can freeze the warts off. I will usually offer this to my clients but really, the warts are cosmetic and not usually bothersome to the dog at all.

3. They are definitely not contagious to people or pets!

Can a spayed cat get pregnant? OK its OK if you don't answer but be for you look away please im 12 and my cat is... (11412 views)

Bladder stones and crystals. Hello Dr. Marie: Last fall and again in April of this year, Jazz got what was... (8193 views)

Itchy cat. My cat is male, age 5 and generally very healthy. A while ago I noticed him biting... (5776 views)

Antibiotics for pyometra? my dog has pyometra what are the chances with survival after antibotic injection... (6458 views)

Wound on cat. My father's cat Jerry is 3 year old neutered male DSH who is up-to-date on all... (2924 views)

Swollen hip. I am so worried about my dog Holly. I think she may have hip dysplasia. Her hip is... (7993 views)

Black poop and worms. my dog has worms, and we gave her medicine today but she wont eat anythingg and has... (8486 views)

How often for heat? I'm wanting to breed my female Blue Heeler. She was last in heat at the beginning of... (8775 views)

Puppy throwing up 3 days. My kids brought home a new puppy I have no money she has been here for 2 weeks I... (6424 views)

Sick after having puppies. I have an important question about my dog. She had puppies 2 weeks ago and suddenly... (7259 views)