Pink bumps on dog.

Breed: Chinese Crested Powd
My dog has two small bumps on top of his head. I took a picture, but I don't see a place to attach it. I thought they might be ticks, as that is the size of them, but they aren't ticks - one is very pale pink and it's been there for about a year. I don't think his vet noticed it , or didn't think anything of it, but now there's another one and it's deep red like a pimple that's about to burst. In fact, they both look like pimples. Is there a way to show you a picture? Please let me know if it sounds like something we need to go back to the vet for or if it's nothing to worry about.

Jack is very healthy and hasn't had any medical issues.

Heather

Hi Heather, this is Penny from Ask A Vet Question. Dr. Marie will be answering questions later, but I wanted to let you know that if you had photos you could send them to photos@askavetquestion.com.

Thanks for your question. Here is the photo that you sent me that shows the bumps:

pink bumps on dog

Now, keep in mind when I answer this that having me look at photos doesn't take the place of an in person vet visit. I won't be able to tell you for certain what these are, but I'll give you my thoughts.

My first thought is that both of these are warts. The one that is pinker may have recently been bumped or scratched and may be inflamed. If these are warts then there is nothing to be concerned about.

The next possibility is that these are tiny cysts which again would be nothing to worry about.

My one concern (although this is unlikely) is if the more dark pink bump is something called a mast cell tumor. These can indeed be serious and would need to be removed.

I would likely keep an eye on them for now. If the darker one is getting larger or seems to be bothersome to the dog then I would have your vet take a look.

Dr. Marie's,

Thanks so much for your response! If they are indeed warts, I have 3 quick questions. Also, I think its my fault that one is dark red because I thought it may have been a tick and tried to remove it and instead inflamed it. Therefore, they may just be warts afterall!

1. How do dogs get warts and are they painful? wash Jack regularly. Is there something I can do to prevent them?

2. Is there something I can put on them to get rid of them (if they are warts)?

3. Are they contagious to people if I touch and kiss his head?

Thank you!
Heather

It certainly is possible that one wart is inflamed because you've been working at it! Don't worry, you're not the first owner I've seen who thought a wart was a tick.

Now, to answer your questions:

1. We don't know why dogs get warts. There is a theory that the dog may have been exposed to a virus when he was younger. But really, we don't know. It's quite normal. There's nothing you can do to prevent them.

2. There is nothing you can use to get rid of them at home. Don't try Compound-W or human wart creams. They won't work. The vet may have a cryotherapy unit that can freeze the warts off. I will usually offer this to my clients but really, the warts are cosmetic and not usually bothersome to the dog at all.

3. They are definitely not contagious to people or pets!

Cat died after surgery. my 4yr old cat had a puncture wound to the abdomen. 2 vets evaluated him. Gave him... (12037 views)

Dog ate collar. Our dog ate half of a leather, metal studded collar about a week ago, which after a... (17103 views)

Hair loss and black skin. my 15 yr old pomeranian is losing hair in the middle of her back. it just now... (12169 views)

Red sores on mouth. My dog has developed sores or bubbley looking things round her mouth. They get... (18326 views)

Do cats get chicken pox? it is not of a cat of mine a cat i saw he had spots that looked alot like chickenpox... (31757 views)

Stinky skin in pug. My pug is losing his hair and the skin is turning black around his neck. It started... (21160 views)

Dog leaking urine. Aud is 5 year old black mini poodle. The past 3 days she is leaking urine. She is... (23670 views)

Large lymph nodes in a cat. My cat Miko seems to have swollen lymph nodes under her neck. They've been like that... (46665 views)

Bloody pee in dalmatian. what does it mean when his pee has blood in it? what should i do... (11881 views)

Tug of war caused hernia? Can playing tug of war with a male dog cause a... (7353 views)