Not using litter box.

Breed: Long haired tortoise
For the past several months she has decided to stop using the litter box to poop in. There are 3 cats in the home, she is the only female and we've had her since she was a kitten. We can never catch her doing her dirty deed, but I recognize her poop. Can you please help me trying to rectify this problem? My husband is ready to get rid of her and I just can't. I know there has to be a reason behind what she's doing.

Thank you

Hi. I am so sorry to hear that this is happening. This is unfortunately a common problem, especially in a multi-cat household.

Here are a few things that you can do that may help:

If you have 3 cats, you need at least 4 litter boxes. They need to be cleaned at least once a day. You can experiment with adding a covered box, or trying different sizes of boxes and different types of litter.

If possible, restrict her from the areas where she is doing this.

If she goes in one area regularly, you can try adding a litter box there. Or, if she won't use the litter box, then put an incontinence pad (that people use for bedwetting) there. Then, each day, move the box or pad a little closer to the area that is acceptable for her to go.

If she only does it at night you can keep her in a room such as the bathroom at night time, with her own litter box.

You may want to look into a product called feliway. This is like a plug-in that diffuses a feline pheromone that makes cats feel good. It has been shown to reduce stress in multi cat households. It is usually stress that causes this type of problem.

Is it at all possible to let her outside? Some cats will have this type of behavior because of boredom.

You can also talk to your vet about a medication called amitriptylline which helps to reduce anxiety levels in cats.

I hope this helps!

Why did my puppy die? Hello, I'm in the UK and I hope you can give me some idea as to why my seemingly... (12685 views)

Incontinence she will be lying on the floor and she just pees and does not know or realize she... (9497 views)

Excessive drooling Recently my cat, who is a little more than 15 years old, has stared excessively... (6647 views)

Dog ate a grape. Hi, My 2 year old miniature schnauzer ate a red seedless grape about 20 minutes... (12540 views)

How to remove stitches Hi Thanks for the feedback last week. Your advice saved our dogs life. Ok we... (26701 views)

Defecating out of her vagina. We found Clara abandoned next to our house a few days ago. Yesterday we found out... (9372 views)

Why do cats lick plastic? I have a 2 year old Himalayan Cat named Felix. He will be 3 in April. He drives me... (28115 views)

Bumps on belly and vomiting. MY NEO IS AROUND 2 MONTHS OLD,NOT YET VACCINATED. FOR SOME DAYS BOILS ARE... (8281 views)

Itchy feet and nose. Hi, my dog started about 3 days ago with very itchy paws to the point that they are... (8307 views)

Stopped prednisolone suddenly. Hi Dr. Marie, My 2.5 year old cat, Pebbles, was diagnosed with pretty severe... (24087 views)