Not using litter box.

Breed: Long haired tortoise
For the past several months she has decided to stop using the litter box to poop in. There are 3 cats in the home, she is the only female and we've had her since she was a kitten. We can never catch her doing her dirty deed, but I recognize her poop. Can you please help me trying to rectify this problem? My husband is ready to get rid of her and I just can't. I know there has to be a reason behind what she's doing.

Thank you

Hi. I am so sorry to hear that this is happening. This is unfortunately a common problem, especially in a multi-cat household.

Here are a few things that you can do that may help:

If you have 3 cats, you need at least 4 litter boxes. They need to be cleaned at least once a day. You can experiment with adding a covered box, or trying different sizes of boxes and different types of litter.

If possible, restrict her from the areas where she is doing this.

If she goes in one area regularly, you can try adding a litter box there. Or, if she won't use the litter box, then put an incontinence pad (that people use for bedwetting) there. Then, each day, move the box or pad a little closer to the area that is acceptable for her to go.

If she only does it at night you can keep her in a room such as the bathroom at night time, with her own litter box.

You may want to look into a product called feliway. This is like a plug-in that diffuses a feline pheromone that makes cats feel good. It has been shown to reduce stress in multi cat households. It is usually stress that causes this type of problem.

Is it at all possible to let her outside? Some cats will have this type of behavior because of boredom.

You can also talk to your vet about a medication called amitriptylline which helps to reduce anxiety levels in cats.

I hope this helps!

Dog eats grass and vomits Hi Marie! My Germen Spitz(male) eats some grass while he is out and vomits.Avoids... (9876 views)

Swelling above dog's eye. This morning I noticed redness and swelling of my dog's upper eyelid. I gave him one... (32887 views)

Red dots on dog's abdomen. Hello. My dog Biscuit has been having red dots like skin under his abdominal. It... (5732 views)

One small testicle. I have a 25 week old male pup who had 2 normal testicles at 8 weeks old. At about 10... (22188 views)

Seizures wouldn't stop. My dog suddenly had status epilepticus without having prior history of seizures. He... (29701 views)

Cat eating less than normal. My cat Noir hasn't been feeling well for about 5 days now. He is a 3 year old,... (76774 views)

Did my dog mate? hello my female dog was on her 2nd heat around 2months ago she got out my garden... (8220 views)

Dog leaps to her feet. Why does my 12 year old lame Siberian Husky suddenly leap to her feet and walk off.... (8136 views)

Black spot on tongue. My dog, Bogey, has developed a black spot on his tongue about 3 months ago. It was a... (24518 views)

Arthritis medicines for cats. Please tell me what you use for daily dose meloxicam for 12 pound 15 yr old cat.... (7292 views)