Not using litter box.

Breed: Long haired tortoise
For the past several months she has decided to stop using the litter box to poop in. There are 3 cats in the home, she is the only female and we've had her since she was a kitten. We can never catch her doing her dirty deed, but I recognize her poop. Can you please help me trying to rectify this problem? My husband is ready to get rid of her and I just can't. I know there has to be a reason behind what she's doing.

Thank you

Hi. I am so sorry to hear that this is happening. This is unfortunately a common problem, especially in a multi-cat household.

Here are a few things that you can do that may help:

If you have 3 cats, you need at least 4 litter boxes. They need to be cleaned at least once a day. You can experiment with adding a covered box, or trying different sizes of boxes and different types of litter.

If possible, restrict her from the areas where she is doing this.

If she goes in one area regularly, you can try adding a litter box there. Or, if she won't use the litter box, then put an incontinence pad (that people use for bedwetting) there. Then, each day, move the box or pad a little closer to the area that is acceptable for her to go.

If she only does it at night you can keep her in a room such as the bathroom at night time, with her own litter box.

You may want to look into a product called feliway. This is like a plug-in that diffuses a feline pheromone that makes cats feel good. It has been shown to reduce stress in multi cat households. It is usually stress that causes this type of problem.

Is it at all possible to let her outside? Some cats will have this type of behavior because of boredom.

You can also talk to your vet about a medication called amitriptylline which helps to reduce anxiety levels in cats.

I hope this helps!

calamine lotion on dogs Doeden has a itchy rash, raised pale bumps, on the back of his neck; I put on some... (91313 views)

Keep dachshund from jumping? Hello, About 2 months ago I woke to find that my dachshund could not move her hind... (10282 views)

Mange treatment. Dr. Marie: My dog has demodectic mange. We give her Promeris, but it makes her... (15234 views)

Prognosis with hemangiosarcoma. i have a dog whose a 7 year old German shepherdand although he has been diagnosed... (11712 views)

Ear cartilage broken. someone has broke the cartridge in my dogs ear by rubbing them hard. what can i do... (21134 views)

Coughing cat. i have a indoor cat - about 10 years old... she had been staying in our... (11079 views)

Black spot on toe. Hello. I was cutting my puppies toe nail today and noticed a new black spot on her... (7373 views)

Can dogs get chlamydia? I recently found out that i had Chlamydia, my dog hank has a bad habit of getting... (35846 views)

Muscle tremors and distemper. I have an around 4 - 6 month old puppy who was a street dog in Dharamsala India. She... (11600 views)

Elderly cat not eating. my cat is elderly, arthritic and diabetic - but very lovely :) she was diagnosed... (5105 views)