Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy.

Breed: tabby
Hi. I'm 15 weeks pregnant and worried about my two cats. I know how to avoid toxoplasmosis but both cats are typical outdoor cats and since ive been pregnant they have brought in at least one dead bird and three mice. They are also a nightmare for walking over the kitchen tops. I've been very sensible washing my hands after stroking them but today one if them put his tail in my face. What is the chances of being infected this way? and as one of them is 4 and the other 8 years (outdoor cats all the time)is it likely that they would have already had it? I'm so worried about the risks and its affecting the way I care for them as i'm always stressed around them and don't pet them as much as I have done.

First of all, congrats on your pregnancy!

I am asked quite often about toxoplasmosis and pregnancy. The good news is that the chances of you getting toxoplasmosis in this situation is extremely small. Several things would have to happen in order for you to get toxoplasmosis:

-Your cats would have to eat an infected animal such as a mouse. Once they do then they are contagious for 5-14 days. After the first time they will not spread toxoplasmosis in their feces even if they eat an infected animal.
-Next, if the cat did get infected and passed toxoplasmosis cysts in their stool, the stool would need to be sitting for 24-48 hours in order for the cysts to be infectious to you.
-You would have to ingest some of the stool.

The chances that your cats were recently infected with toxo and that they had dried stool on them for 1-2 days and that you ate the stool are very very small.

You may find this other information on Toxoplasmosis helpful:

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy

Questions about toxoplasmosis

Hopefully this has helped ease your mind. Let me know if you have more questions.

Is this a liver shunt? Hello Dr. Marie, Murphy is 16 months old. For the first 6 months of her life, she... (4548 views)

Remove baby teeth with spay? Hello, My wife's puppy is 9 months old. she weighs 3.6 pounds. She needs to get... (10224 views)

Vomiting lethargic puppy. my dog is not wanting to eat at all and is just laying around she has vomited a few... (43761 views)

Sneezing, vomiting, coughing. my cat is sneezing vomiting coughing breathing through his mouth and has hard... (22757 views)

High ALP in a pug. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 7yr old female Pug. She was getting "pyoderma" every few... (32923 views)

Laryngeal paralysis and vomiting. my dog gags and coughs when he eats and also eats mulch and grass and subsequently... (10084 views)

Red spots My dog has been developed having red spot (lots of round and red spot with hair loss... (34667 views)

Duck jerky making dogs sick? If chicken strips (jerky) might be a problem, what about duck? I have bags of both... (6689 views)

Seizures Max is 14. Four nights ago he had a big seizure that lasted about 60-90 seconds. ... (89822 views)

Will one grape hurt my dog? (111801 views)