Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy.

Breed: tabby
Hi. I'm 15 weeks pregnant and worried about my two cats. I know how to avoid toxoplasmosis but both cats are typical outdoor cats and since ive been pregnant they have brought in at least one dead bird and three mice. They are also a nightmare for walking over the kitchen tops. I've been very sensible washing my hands after stroking them but today one if them put his tail in my face. What is the chances of being infected this way? and as one of them is 4 and the other 8 years (outdoor cats all the time)is it likely that they would have already had it? I'm so worried about the risks and its affecting the way I care for them as i'm always stressed around them and don't pet them as much as I have done.

First of all, congrats on your pregnancy!

I am asked quite often about toxoplasmosis and pregnancy. The good news is that the chances of you getting toxoplasmosis in this situation is extremely small. Several things would have to happen in order for you to get toxoplasmosis:

-Your cats would have to eat an infected animal such as a mouse. Once they do then they are contagious for 5-14 days. After the first time they will not spread toxoplasmosis in their feces even if they eat an infected animal.
-Next, if the cat did get infected and passed toxoplasmosis cysts in their stool, the stool would need to be sitting for 24-48 hours in order for the cysts to be infectious to you.
-You would have to ingest some of the stool.

The chances that your cats were recently infected with toxo and that they had dried stool on them for 1-2 days and that you ate the stool are very very small.

You may find this other information on Toxoplasmosis helpful:

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy

Questions about toxoplasmosis

Hopefully this has helped ease your mind. Let me know if you have more questions.

Kitten has bad breath. I am having serious problems because my cat is having very smelly and bad breath... (35021 views)

White bumps on anus. Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are quite busy with all your other questions and I am... (22745 views)

Discoid lupus treatment. Hi. I live in rural Peru. After many wrong diagnoses, a vet here diagnosed Diego... (12440 views)

Seizure episode. he just had a sesiure like episode where he was walking with me and just kinda... (7845 views)

Dog with FCE Dr. M, We have a 40 pound bulldog terrier mix. Eight days ago he was fighting with... (9017 views)

Is this dog cryptorchid? Jupiter is 71/2 months old. At 8 weeks vet noted both testicles desended. At 5... (23088 views)

Milk coming out of squirrel's nose. I have an orphaned squirrel that doesn't have his eyes open yet. He has aspirated... (13640 views)

Cold paws and sore belly. My cat is in really bad shape, at first, she was really bloated and meowed in pain... (12169 views)

Trouble breathing My 12 year old golden retriever was diagnosed with an enlarged heart and a "5"... (13234 views)

Quiet after dentistry. Good morning...this may be lengthy...sorry. Despite my cats advanced age of 17,... (6872 views)