Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy.

Breed: tabby
Hi. I'm 15 weeks pregnant and worried about my two cats. I know how to avoid toxoplasmosis but both cats are typical outdoor cats and since ive been pregnant they have brought in at least one dead bird and three mice. They are also a nightmare for walking over the kitchen tops. I've been very sensible washing my hands after stroking them but today one if them put his tail in my face. What is the chances of being infected this way? and as one of them is 4 and the other 8 years (outdoor cats all the time)is it likely that they would have already had it? I'm so worried about the risks and its affecting the way I care for them as i'm always stressed around them and don't pet them as much as I have done.

First of all, congrats on your pregnancy!

I am asked quite often about toxoplasmosis and pregnancy. The good news is that the chances of you getting toxoplasmosis in this situation is extremely small. Several things would have to happen in order for you to get toxoplasmosis:

-Your cats would have to eat an infected animal such as a mouse. Once they do then they are contagious for 5-14 days. After the first time they will not spread toxoplasmosis in their feces even if they eat an infected animal.
-Next, if the cat did get infected and passed toxoplasmosis cysts in their stool, the stool would need to be sitting for 24-48 hours in order for the cysts to be infectious to you.
-You would have to ingest some of the stool.

The chances that your cats were recently infected with toxo and that they had dried stool on them for 1-2 days and that you ate the stool are very very small.

You may find this other information on Toxoplasmosis helpful:

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy

Questions about toxoplasmosis

Hopefully this has helped ease your mind. Let me know if you have more questions.

Prozac for submissive peeing? My Morkie is 2 1/2 years old. I rescued her at 6 mos. she is aggressive and also... (6898 views)

Mole on dog's leg. My dog has what looks like a mole on his leg, do dogs have moles or should I take... (14272 views)

Peptobismol use in cats I gave pepto bismol to my cat will it be... (22348 views)

Cat died after intestinal surgery. Hi, I tried to send email this morning but some how pay pal didn't take me to right... (8748 views)

Bleeding after biopsy. My dog has been diagnosed with Cancer(hemangiosarcoma). The tiny hole were we... (13007 views)

Can't put weight on his leg. my pit bull is shaking all over a refusing to put weight on his back leg what should... (27413 views)

What kind of food? I need a food recommendation for our two Aussies (one mini 5 yr old male at 32lbs... (6512 views)

Dog with bloody stool. Hi, I mistakenly changed my dog's food without mixing which I now know is a big... (12658 views)

Swollen neck on a cat. my 4 month old male cat, desexed vaccinated and everything one more shot to go tho.... (6379 views)

Euthanasia difficulties. Well, Kiggy passed away May 21, 2012 after a vet recommended euthanasia. She was 14... (10853 views)