Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy.

Breed: tabby
Hi. I'm 15 weeks pregnant and worried about my two cats. I know how to avoid toxoplasmosis but both cats are typical outdoor cats and since ive been pregnant they have brought in at least one dead bird and three mice. They are also a nightmare for walking over the kitchen tops. I've been very sensible washing my hands after stroking them but today one if them put his tail in my face. What is the chances of being infected this way? and as one of them is 4 and the other 8 years (outdoor cats all the time)is it likely that they would have already had it? I'm so worried about the risks and its affecting the way I care for them as i'm always stressed around them and don't pet them as much as I have done.

First of all, congrats on your pregnancy!

I am asked quite often about toxoplasmosis and pregnancy. The good news is that the chances of you getting toxoplasmosis in this situation is extremely small. Several things would have to happen in order for you to get toxoplasmosis:

-Your cats would have to eat an infected animal such as a mouse. Once they do then they are contagious for 5-14 days. After the first time they will not spread toxoplasmosis in their feces even if they eat an infected animal.
-Next, if the cat did get infected and passed toxoplasmosis cysts in their stool, the stool would need to be sitting for 24-48 hours in order for the cysts to be infectious to you.
-You would have to ingest some of the stool.

The chances that your cats were recently infected with toxo and that they had dried stool on them for 1-2 days and that you ate the stool are very very small.

You may find this other information on Toxoplasmosis helpful:

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy

Questions about toxoplasmosis

Hopefully this has helped ease your mind. Let me know if you have more questions.

Cat has a swelling with pus. Hi my name is Retief you see a couple of weeks ago a friend told me my cat fell out... (8825 views)

Chihuahua has back problem. Hi! One of my four chihuahuas, Ginger, has been having a back problem for a while... (12664 views)

Bleeding anal glands. My dog has been having blood drip from his rear. My vet has expressed his anal... (12182 views)

My cat's eye is foggy. Hello, My cat Paisley is 10 months old and her eye is foggy, her ears and nose are... (10598 views)

Why did 15 year old dog die? Hello, My dog was 15 years old and she just recently died last thursday. My mother... (17814 views)

Large scab on cat's neck Dear Dr. Marie, My cat has a scab on its back, it's L shaped and is uniformly... (15264 views)

Puppy has a small eye. my puppy has an eye defect it is smaller than the other and seems to be lazy it is... (23667 views)

Rib poking out. I have an 9 year old maltese poodle and recently i have noticed that the end of his... (41582 views)

Severe arthritis and leaking urine. Hi we have a 13 year old dog with long term hip dysplasia. he has cartrophen once a... (14952 views)

Brown spots on puppy's belly. Hi Doctor. I've noticed an area along my puppies belly down to her private area... (58243 views)