Peeing outside of box.

Breed: domestic short hair
Hi Dr Marie,
My Cat Nikki is 21 yrs old......he was shot in the mouth when he was 1.5 yrs old, and still has the bullet lodged behind his shoulder blades......he has been a very fiesty, strong, healthy cat.
He eats a great deal...combo of wet food and dry. He is now blind but amazingly manages to get around with no problems.......he does not groom as much in the past few years....since his accident he has very little of the combing texture on his tongue and now he has many burrs in his fur. I try to bbrush him, but he hates it and puts up a fight.....I jut don;t want to hurt him.
My major issue is his urine habits.....sometimes he makes the litter box but mostly he pees on the carpet.
I restrict his open areas in the house but the smell and energy it takes to clean up and change papers and plastic are becoming too much. He also pees alot....in the morning I have at least 2 or 3 areas from during the night. We clean the litter box all the time making sure it is always fresh for him.I watch him after eating and immediately take him to the box....but he'll leave without peeing or do it out of the box a few feet away.
He has used this litter box and this litter for years, we do have 2 other cats and they have all shared these items in the past (we have an additional box upstairs as well but keep him away form that area of the house now. I have avoided the Vet because I am upset about havng to put him down if that is my only option. I thought he would have gone on his own a few times, but eats and gets around really well considering the blindness and his age......please advise.
Marie

Sorry to hear that you are having this frustrating problem.

I would highly advise a vet visit. I know it is not what you want to do, but when an older cat starts to develop problems related to urinating there is often a medical cause.

It may be a problem with his kidneys, diabetes, or even hyperthyroidism. If so, there are a number of things that can be done to help.

Some cats will urinate out of the box as they get older because of arthritis in their hips or spine. Unfortunately there are no over the counter medications that are safe and effective to use for cats. But, there are things that your vet can prescribe that should help.

I really hope everything is ok!

Why did my cat die? Hello, The other day, our cat Misty (she would have been 16-years-old next month)... (12736 views)

Dog panting at night time. I would like to know if you can tell me why my dog is panting at night time. I have... (296281 views)

Discharge from vulva. My cat Miss Fitzgibbons who is 3 years old has suddenly become quite weak. She is... (6142 views)

Sick after eating Iams ProHealth. My cat has been eating IAMS PROHEALTH and this morning he threw up 4 times and now... (8950 views)

Home treatment for abscess. My cat had an abscess I didnt know about until it blew 4 days ago. I have cut away... (8469 views)

Why did dog die? My dog, Runway, died suddenly early sunday morning, at about 1:00am. I am wondering... (13764 views)

Dog died suddenly. My dog Piper, suddenly died today for no apparent reason. She has been... (18700 views)

Coughing and sneezing dog. I have a three month old teacup Yorkie. He had a check up last week and got his... (27034 views)

Round spot on cat's leg. He has a bald patch high on his leg. we considered it might be ringworm but the... (7245 views)

Trouble urinating after neuter surgery. Hi Dr, Max was neutered yesterday at 10 am. The nurses said he went to pee 2... (58110 views)