Peeing outside of box.

Breed: domestic short hair
Hi Dr Marie,
My Cat Nikki is 21 yrs old......he was shot in the mouth when he was 1.5 yrs old, and still has the bullet lodged behind his shoulder blades......he has been a very fiesty, strong, healthy cat.
He eats a great deal...combo of wet food and dry. He is now blind but amazingly manages to get around with no problems.......he does not groom as much in the past few years....since his accident he has very little of the combing texture on his tongue and now he has many burrs in his fur. I try to bbrush him, but he hates it and puts up a fight.....I jut don;t want to hurt him.
My major issue is his urine habits.....sometimes he makes the litter box but mostly he pees on the carpet.
I restrict his open areas in the house but the smell and energy it takes to clean up and change papers and plastic are becoming too much. He also pees alot....in the morning I have at least 2 or 3 areas from during the night. We clean the litter box all the time making sure it is always fresh for him.I watch him after eating and immediately take him to the box....but he'll leave without peeing or do it out of the box a few feet away.
He has used this litter box and this litter for years, we do have 2 other cats and they have all shared these items in the past (we have an additional box upstairs as well but keep him away form that area of the house now. I have avoided the Vet because I am upset about havng to put him down if that is my only option. I thought he would have gone on his own a few times, but eats and gets around really well considering the blindness and his age......please advise.
Marie

Sorry to hear that you are having this frustrating problem.

I would highly advise a vet visit. I know it is not what you want to do, but when an older cat starts to develop problems related to urinating there is often a medical cause.

It may be a problem with his kidneys, diabetes, or even hyperthyroidism. If so, there are a number of things that can be done to help.

Some cats will urinate out of the box as they get older because of arthritis in their hips or spine. Unfortunately there are no over the counter medications that are safe and effective to use for cats. But, there are things that your vet can prescribe that should help.

I really hope everything is ok!

Did cat die from eating fertilizer? Hello, a couple of days ago I found one of my cats dead in the garden. Although he... (12362 views)

Sore eye in a dog. Hi, My Yorkie's left eye is squinting; it looks like she can't open it. She has... (26727 views)

Sensitive tail and belly. My cat was spayed almost 5 months ago, and I've noticed since then, that she does... (5600 views)

Open sore with black center. My dog has an open soar on her back a little bit smaller then a pencil eraser. In... (22243 views)

Not well after vaccines. Had rabies distemper & bord shots fri Gave her frontline & heartguard yest night.... (10912 views)

Infection on leg. My dog has been licking his inner thigh to the point where it is very red and there... (20200 views)

Tapeworms in kittens. Hey there, I spoke with you a few days ago about my kittens that have worms. The... (13661 views)

Uncomfortable cocker spaniel My 7 1/2 year old cocker spaniel came in from a walk last night with a stomach that... (44891 views)

Doxycycline and amoxicillin. My dog is believed to have Lyme disease, her test was negative but our vet thought... (21329 views)

Lifespan of a rat? What is the average lifespan of a rat? My rat is 3 years old and very healthy. Is... (8173 views)