Peeing outside of box.

Breed: domestic short hair
Hi Dr Marie,
My Cat Nikki is 21 yrs old......he was shot in the mouth when he was 1.5 yrs old, and still has the bullet lodged behind his shoulder blades......he has been a very fiesty, strong, healthy cat.
He eats a great deal...combo of wet food and dry. He is now blind but amazingly manages to get around with no problems.......he does not groom as much in the past few years....since his accident he has very little of the combing texture on his tongue and now he has many burrs in his fur. I try to bbrush him, but he hates it and puts up a fight.....I jut don;t want to hurt him.
My major issue is his urine habits.....sometimes he makes the litter box but mostly he pees on the carpet.
I restrict his open areas in the house but the smell and energy it takes to clean up and change papers and plastic are becoming too much. He also pees alot....in the morning I have at least 2 or 3 areas from during the night. We clean the litter box all the time making sure it is always fresh for him.I watch him after eating and immediately take him to the box....but he'll leave without peeing or do it out of the box a few feet away.
He has used this litter box and this litter for years, we do have 2 other cats and they have all shared these items in the past (we have an additional box upstairs as well but keep him away form that area of the house now. I have avoided the Vet because I am upset about havng to put him down if that is my only option. I thought he would have gone on his own a few times, but eats and gets around really well considering the blindness and his age......please advise.
Marie

Sorry to hear that you are having this frustrating problem.

I would highly advise a vet visit. I know it is not what you want to do, but when an older cat starts to develop problems related to urinating there is often a medical cause.

It may be a problem with his kidneys, diabetes, or even hyperthyroidism. If so, there are a number of things that can be done to help.

Some cats will urinate out of the box as they get older because of arthritis in their hips or spine. Unfortunately there are no over the counter medications that are safe and effective to use for cats. But, there are things that your vet can prescribe that should help.

I really hope everything is ok!

Cut my dog while grooming. My mother was trimming Levi's fringe, and accidentally cut skin instead. Needless to... (54732 views)

Limping, stiff chihuahua. Hey my chiuahua dog hasn't been himself lately. He walks really stiff and can not... (13162 views)

Wheezing dog. My dog wheezes just after going on a walk with me and then proceeds to act sick or... (6951 views)

Puppy won't eat. My daughter has a Blue Nose Pit 4 1/2 months old female she has a great appetite and... (13449 views)

Vomiting Dog My dog isn't eating, and when she drinks water, she throws it up. Her stomach seems... (9729 views)

Vomited up chew toy. My dog had diarrhea and threw up last night. She's crated at night and when I got... (18676 views)

Lethargic dog. The last 3 days, Duke has become very lethargic, laying around and just sleeping. ... (29064 views)

Peptobismol use in cats I gave pepto bismol to my cat will it be... (21217 views)

Cancer or hairball? Mama Kitty has a lower abdomen mass. She is 5 lbs. The vet suspects cancer, although... (14305 views)

Cut my dog's nail too short. Last night, we trimmed one of our dog's nails a little too close to the quick and... (185325 views)