Reusing thermometers

Breed: Lhasa Apso
I took my Lhasa Apso, Monroe, to Banfield at PetSmart today. He is having issues with sutures working their way through his incision (2 months old). In the preliminary exam, the tech took his temperature, using one of those digital white plastic thermometers, with the metal end. When she was finished getting the reading, she grabbed a gauze pad, put some alcohol on it, and rubbed the dirty end of the thermometer for a couple of seconds. She then put the thermometer back into the drawer with other instruments, to be used again. I told her I thought this was highly unsanitary, and that they should be using disposables. She shrugged it off. I mentioned it to the vet, her response was "this is my first day, I don't know what their procedure is". Am I freaking out over nothing?

This is a tough situation for me to comment on as I don't know all of the facts.

In some practices they will clean off the thermometer and then put it in a container that is holding disinfectant. In other places, a disposable thermometer cover is used. However, these can be frustrating to work with and can make the insertion of the thermometer more uncomfortable for the dog.

Is it possible that when she put the thermometer in the drawer there was a disinfectant container in the drawer?

I would agree that if the thermometer was just being wiped with alcohol and then put back in the drawer that doesn't sound like a good idea. With that being said, the chance of spreading disease is extremely small. Most diseases that are spread through the feces of dogs are spread by fecal-oral transmission so as long as the dogs are not licking the thermometers the risk is small.

If you are concerned it may be worthwhile to write a politely worded letter to the manager or owner of the clinic with your concerns and ask if they could consider changing their practice.

I hope this helps!

Heartworm treatment. Sam was a rescue, we believe that he is a little over two years old and a pit / lab... (8872 views)

Homeopathic treatment of FIP. Hello, My cat is verified (80% confirmed) to infect FIP(wet type). The vet told... (17147 views)

Best cat foods. One cat is 13 pounds and 7 years old. He is heavy, but it doesn't look or feel like... (7258 views)

Dog spay incision lump. My dog has a lump under her spay incision. I adopted Tiaa from a rescue group a... (137983 views)

Swollen face after fight. My miniature pinscher was attacked by a boxer a few days ago. Her wounds have... (14602 views)

Should we put down out cat? Good evening. My 15 year old tabby seems to be in rough shape. He is still... (7958 views)

Dog's penis is stuck out of sheath. Hi, Ive noticed my 7 month male yorkie has started to lick himself a lot "down... (109040 views)

Bald spot on cat's tail. By accident my Ricky has a blad spot on his tail & i sure hope that it grows back?... (7802 views)

Does Hartz flea treatment work? My dogs have gotten fleas and I've been putting Hartz flea treatment on them but it... (20194 views)

Senior cat losing weight. Hello, My cat is 11 or 12 years old (he was a rescue kitty I inherited, so I'm... (7460 views)