Reusing thermometers

Breed: Lhasa Apso
I took my Lhasa Apso, Monroe, to Banfield at PetSmart today. He is having issues with sutures working their way through his incision (2 months old). In the preliminary exam, the tech took his temperature, using one of those digital white plastic thermometers, with the metal end. When she was finished getting the reading, she grabbed a gauze pad, put some alcohol on it, and rubbed the dirty end of the thermometer for a couple of seconds. She then put the thermometer back into the drawer with other instruments, to be used again. I told her I thought this was highly unsanitary, and that they should be using disposables. She shrugged it off. I mentioned it to the vet, her response was "this is my first day, I don't know what their procedure is". Am I freaking out over nothing?

This is a tough situation for me to comment on as I don't know all of the facts.

In some practices they will clean off the thermometer and then put it in a container that is holding disinfectant. In other places, a disposable thermometer cover is used. However, these can be frustrating to work with and can make the insertion of the thermometer more uncomfortable for the dog.

Is it possible that when she put the thermometer in the drawer there was a disinfectant container in the drawer?

I would agree that if the thermometer was just being wiped with alcohol and then put back in the drawer that doesn't sound like a good idea. With that being said, the chance of spreading disease is extremely small. Most diseases that are spread through the feces of dogs are spread by fecal-oral transmission so as long as the dogs are not licking the thermometers the risk is small.

If you are concerned it may be worthwhile to write a politely worded letter to the manager or owner of the clinic with your concerns and ask if they could consider changing their practice.

I hope this helps!

Diabetic cat diet. Hi, I am the owner of two siamese cats (female) from same litter - 11.5 years old.... (11663 views)

Possible laryngeal Parlysis Rex is having breathing difficulties for the last few days primarily while eating or... (8469 views)

Can't urinate after neuter. My boy cat was castrated yesterday he has been trying to wee but there is no wee... (8489 views)

Care of orphaned kittens. I have a ferral outside cat who just had kittens and was attacked...most of thr... (7221 views)

Guinea Pig Pregnancy info. Hi, i bought a guinea pig from a pet store about a month ago and now, i think shes... (14764 views)

Do cats prefer litter? My cat just started using the bathroom floor and areas on the carpet at litter... (7445 views)

Problems with Rimadyl? she seems to have paralysis of her front left paw. she can not stand on her own and... (22591 views)

Limping kitten my kitten has started losing alot of weight and he is limping. his back left paw is... (9832 views)

One puppy in litter died. I had five yookiepoo pups. One has died. Yesterday was the first day that it acted... (15713 views)

Hamster escaping out lid. hello, my hamster has a rody cage but i noticed the other day that he had biten... (7722 views)