Reusing thermometers

Breed: Lhasa Apso
I took my Lhasa Apso, Monroe, to Banfield at PetSmart today. He is having issues with sutures working their way through his incision (2 months old). In the preliminary exam, the tech took his temperature, using one of those digital white plastic thermometers, with the metal end. When she was finished getting the reading, she grabbed a gauze pad, put some alcohol on it, and rubbed the dirty end of the thermometer for a couple of seconds. She then put the thermometer back into the drawer with other instruments, to be used again. I told her I thought this was highly unsanitary, and that they should be using disposables. She shrugged it off. I mentioned it to the vet, her response was "this is my first day, I don't know what their procedure is". Am I freaking out over nothing?

This is a tough situation for me to comment on as I don't know all of the facts.

In some practices they will clean off the thermometer and then put it in a container that is holding disinfectant. In other places, a disposable thermometer cover is used. However, these can be frustrating to work with and can make the insertion of the thermometer more uncomfortable for the dog.

Is it possible that when she put the thermometer in the drawer there was a disinfectant container in the drawer?

I would agree that if the thermometer was just being wiped with alcohol and then put back in the drawer that doesn't sound like a good idea. With that being said, the chance of spreading disease is extremely small. Most diseases that are spread through the feces of dogs are spread by fecal-oral transmission so as long as the dogs are not licking the thermometers the risk is small.

If you are concerned it may be worthwhile to write a politely worded letter to the manager or owner of the clinic with your concerns and ask if they could consider changing their practice.

I hope this helps!

Rat Lifespan? Sick rat. My 3 yr old rat is sick. His skin feels cold, breathing is rapid and labored, eyes... (10258 views)

Magnesium level of food. I have two cats. Casper has urinary tract issues. He is currently on a .085%... (13113 views)

Euthanize biting dog? My name is Meghan and I am going through a super tough situation and thought maybe... (6390 views)

Best ringworm treatment. We adopted Milo (5 months) from a shelter 2 weeks ago. He has two patches where skin... (11069 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in maltese puppy. Good evening, I had a question for you regarding my puppy. She is almost 12... (6279 views)

Dog died at the vet's A couple weeks ago I noticed our dog Gauge was straining to urinate but couldnt. I... (8779 views)

Can I get toxoplasmosis from my dog? I've caught my dog eating stray cat feces in my yard several times. I would then... (37149 views)

Cat not eating since new kitten arrived. My cat's behavior has changed quite a bit and won't eat. I will explain when he... (19928 views)

Stuck together - pregnant? Please help, my two dogs were stuck together today,I think she's pregnant. I'm... (13043 views)

Large lymph nodes. I spoke with you on sunday night about my shih tzu., I brought him to the vet on... (23059 views)