Cat with green patch on skin.

Breed: mut
first i would like to thank you for your time.
When my cat was a kitten i thought she had bad flees because she would itch so much that she would bleed and have quite a few scabs on her skin but when i looked for flees she had none. but now that she is older she has a lite greenish 1/2 inch long patch over her skin (with hair) that looks like it could be dry skin. Most of it is stuck on her skin and a little of it isn't attached. i have tried putting hydrogen peroxide on it but it doesn't seem to be working.
Can you tell me what this is, is it hurting her? and what i can do to help her?

Thank you very much

Sorry to hear that Little One is having problems. It's always hard to talk about skin problems without seeing your cat in person but I can give you a few of my thoughts.

Fleas are definitely the first thing I think of when an animal is itchy. You don't always see them. Sometimes we will see flea dirt which looks like little black flecks, but not always. If I am suspicious of fleas but don't see any I always recommend a good prescription strength flea product such as Advantage, Frontline or Revolution.

It is also possible that she has an allergy. It could be an allergy to food or it could be to something in the environment such as ragweed. Many cats with allergies need steroids in order to keep the itchiness under control.

If you are seeing green scabby areas on the skin then I am concerned that there is infection. If this is the case she will need to be treated with antibiotics prescribed by your vet. Sometimes a type of bacteria called pseudomonas can cause the skin to turn green when it is infected.

I wouldn't recommend peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide is good for initially cleaning a dirty wound. But, if used regularly it will slow down wound healing.

It sounds like she definitely needs to see the vet!

Urinating in house. Our cat Alice was involved in a fight in the garden with another cat. SHe had a sore... (10809 views)

Cause of death? Hi Dr. Marie, I\'m sorry that I can\'t afford to pay for an answer, but your... (5357 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in maltese puppy. Good evening, I had a question for you regarding my puppy. She is almost 12... (6348 views)

Why did my puppy die? Hello, I'm in the UK and I hope you can give me some idea as to why my seemingly... (11395 views)

Dehydrated and trouble breathing. I found my cat yesterday just lying on the ground, he can't lift his head, yesterday... (8305 views)

Wobbly after back surgery. My little dog, pumpkin, had surgery for a 'blown disc' 2-1/2 years. She attempts to... (8147 views)

Does my cat have feline leukemia? have a 6 year old female cat with up to date FeLV and FIV vaccinations. She has the... (5086 views)

pain after root canal Had major teeth work performed about 3 months ago as we noticed her breath and she... (7698 views)

Rat with facial swelling. My rat has developed swelling on the left side of her face. Her entire cheek has... (20036 views)

Ear infection. Fred has been miserable. I have tried what i know to do. He has had a ear infection... (7036 views)