Vomiting and not eating.

Breed: Shepherd mix
My shepherd mix, Beanie, is 8 years old, weighs about 44 pounds, and has always been very healthy. I feed my dogs Orijen, to which I add mixed (frozen) veggies and two eggs per week, one fish-oil capsule and a small handful of walnuts or almonds daily. He is a good, unpicky eater. Outside, he never eats any acorns, dried poop or anything like that, but he is a grazer. Whenever we are outside, he spends his time grazing on plants and/or grass. I think he just likes the taste because he never, ever vomits.

Until last night, that is. We have two dogs, but I'm pretty sure he was the one who threw up about a 3"x5" portion of his dinner. This morning on our walk he didn't do his normal poking around at everything in the woods, but walked slowly beside me the whole way. He had a normal (no diarrhea) BM. At one point I noticed that spittle was dripping from the side of his mouth and he looked very unhappy. He did not have any nasal discharge. When we got home he wouldn't eat his fish-oil capsule, but ate one walnut and hurried off to get back into bed. His nose is dry and warm.

He's up to date on his shots, is never loose, and hasn't had contact with any dogs other than our other dog in almost a week.

This is longer than I wanted to make my question, but I wanted to be thorough. I'd much appreciate any suggestions you might have about what might be wrong.

Thanks for your thorough question.

There are a great number of things that can cause vomiting in a dog.

Sometimes a dog can vomit because of something they have eaten, but I don't think this is the case with Beanie. However, it may be a good idea to check out the nuts you are giving him. While walnuts and almonds are not toxic to dogs they can sometimes get moldy if you have had them for a while and this could definitely cause a dog to vomit.

If the vomiting persists for more than 24 hours then there is a possibility that there is an underlying health concern such as a kidney or liver problem, an infection or something else. Again, there are hundreds of things that can cause vomiting.

So, if the vomiting and not eating continues then a vet visit will be necessary.

Sometimes with mild stomach upset it helps to give a period of 24 hours with no food followed by very small meals of chicken and rice. These are foods that are very easy to digest and shouldn't upset his stomach.

But, if the problem is persisting then a vet visit is the best idea.

Constipated kittens. I am fostering 5 kittens. I think they are about 5 weeks old. They still cannot use... (8917 views)

Black lumps in a cat's ear. I recently noticed two black spots in one of my cat's ears. They haven't always been... (19885 views)

Starting pay of a vet. I'm a student hoping to study Vet Med but I might need to get student loan for the... (5702 views)

Rat lost his brother. My rat has lost his brother will he be ok i am not getting another... (11918 views)

Dog is shaking I can't afford to bring my dog to the vet. I would like to know my dog has a lack of... (83282 views)

Rat Lifespan? Sick rat. My 3 yr old rat is sick. His skin feels cold, breathing is rapid and labored, eyes... (10646 views)

Vomiting pregnant cat. hello dr.vet my cat was with a male 2 weeks ago yesterday she started to vomit 5... (6494 views)

Dog suddenly paralyzed. My beloved Pug, Newt, passed away last October.She was 12 years old. She developed a... (44973 views)

Cat not getting over URTI. Hi, My cat has suffered from flu from approx 8 mths old but these days never seems... (7193 views)

Orange urine in a dog. I have had Moe for two years. He is 17 years old now according to the vet. He... (8365 views)