Vomiting and not eating.

Breed: Shepherd mix
My shepherd mix, Beanie, is 8 years old, weighs about 44 pounds, and has always been very healthy. I feed my dogs Orijen, to which I add mixed (frozen) veggies and two eggs per week, one fish-oil capsule and a small handful of walnuts or almonds daily. He is a good, unpicky eater. Outside, he never eats any acorns, dried poop or anything like that, but he is a grazer. Whenever we are outside, he spends his time grazing on plants and/or grass. I think he just likes the taste because he never, ever vomits.

Until last night, that is. We have two dogs, but I'm pretty sure he was the one who threw up about a 3"x5" portion of his dinner. This morning on our walk he didn't do his normal poking around at everything in the woods, but walked slowly beside me the whole way. He had a normal (no diarrhea) BM. At one point I noticed that spittle was dripping from the side of his mouth and he looked very unhappy. He did not have any nasal discharge. When we got home he wouldn't eat his fish-oil capsule, but ate one walnut and hurried off to get back into bed. His nose is dry and warm.

He's up to date on his shots, is never loose, and hasn't had contact with any dogs other than our other dog in almost a week.

This is longer than I wanted to make my question, but I wanted to be thorough. I'd much appreciate any suggestions you might have about what might be wrong.

Thanks for your thorough question.

There are a great number of things that can cause vomiting in a dog.

Sometimes a dog can vomit because of something they have eaten, but I don't think this is the case with Beanie. However, it may be a good idea to check out the nuts you are giving him. While walnuts and almonds are not toxic to dogs they can sometimes get moldy if you have had them for a while and this could definitely cause a dog to vomit.

If the vomiting persists for more than 24 hours then there is a possibility that there is an underlying health concern such as a kidney or liver problem, an infection or something else. Again, there are hundreds of things that can cause vomiting.

So, if the vomiting and not eating continues then a vet visit will be necessary.

Sometimes with mild stomach upset it helps to give a period of 24 hours with no food followed by very small meals of chicken and rice. These are foods that are very easy to digest and shouldn't upset his stomach.

But, if the problem is persisting then a vet visit is the best idea.

Keep ringworm positive cat secluded? Hello. My vet thought my cat caught ringworm from another cat who had it. He had... (8057 views)

Sick after having puppies. I have an important question about my dog. She had puppies 2 weeks ago and suddenly... (12275 views)

Xylitol in fruit toxic to dogs? Hello Dr. Marie, I've recently become very aware of the dangers of xylitol with... (40308 views)

Too aggressive petting? My cat enjoys having his bum smacked over and over. Hard. He's neutered male - he... (23918 views)

Gunk in cat's eyes. hi my cat has had her vaccination today but now noticed there gunk coming out of her... (9302 views)

Swollen muzzle in cat. Hello, I gave my cat food this morning and when she went to eat it, she made this... (11552 views)

bloat in boerboels Hello. I'm currently looking at information about the boerboel. I'm thinking about... (13189 views)

One puppy in litter died. I had five yookiepoo pups. One has died. Yesterday was the first day that it acted... (19175 views)

Fly bites on dog's ears. My dogs are having problems with fly, on their ears what should I do, to help them. ... (11475 views)

Dog looks depressed. Hello, Dr. My dog is pretty active but he usually looks "depressed" out of the... (10887 views)