Vomiting and not eating.

Breed: Shepherd mix
My shepherd mix, Beanie, is 8 years old, weighs about 44 pounds, and has always been very healthy. I feed my dogs Orijen, to which I add mixed (frozen) veggies and two eggs per week, one fish-oil capsule and a small handful of walnuts or almonds daily. He is a good, unpicky eater. Outside, he never eats any acorns, dried poop or anything like that, but he is a grazer. Whenever we are outside, he spends his time grazing on plants and/or grass. I think he just likes the taste because he never, ever vomits.

Until last night, that is. We have two dogs, but I'm pretty sure he was the one who threw up about a 3"x5" portion of his dinner. This morning on our walk he didn't do his normal poking around at everything in the woods, but walked slowly beside me the whole way. He had a normal (no diarrhea) BM. At one point I noticed that spittle was dripping from the side of his mouth and he looked very unhappy. He did not have any nasal discharge. When we got home he wouldn't eat his fish-oil capsule, but ate one walnut and hurried off to get back into bed. His nose is dry and warm.

He's up to date on his shots, is never loose, and hasn't had contact with any dogs other than our other dog in almost a week.

This is longer than I wanted to make my question, but I wanted to be thorough. I'd much appreciate any suggestions you might have about what might be wrong.

Thanks for your thorough question.

There are a great number of things that can cause vomiting in a dog.

Sometimes a dog can vomit because of something they have eaten, but I don't think this is the case with Beanie. However, it may be a good idea to check out the nuts you are giving him. While walnuts and almonds are not toxic to dogs they can sometimes get moldy if you have had them for a while and this could definitely cause a dog to vomit.

If the vomiting persists for more than 24 hours then there is a possibility that there is an underlying health concern such as a kidney or liver problem, an infection or something else. Again, there are hundreds of things that can cause vomiting.

So, if the vomiting and not eating continues then a vet visit will be necessary.

Sometimes with mild stomach upset it helps to give a period of 24 hours with no food followed by very small meals of chicken and rice. These are foods that are very easy to digest and shouldn't upset his stomach.

But, if the problem is persisting then a vet visit is the best idea.

Rib poking out. I have an 9 year old maltese poodle and recently i have noticed that the end of his... (14323 views)

Cat with asthma. My Abby was diagnosed with a respiratory problem similar to asthma and was... (4769 views)

Dog is paralyzed. How are you? I have been reading lots of articles at your site and they help me... (2922 views)

Terbutaline and atenolol. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m interested in your thoughts on what may have caused my cat’s... (5986 views)

Cat constantly in heat. Hi, I have a cat, she is little less than 2 years old. She is always in heat like 1... (11565 views)

Puppy not gaining weight. my puppy is one month old and is not gaining any weight and is not active not eating... (6450 views)

Supraglan for Cushing's? My dog was recently diagnosed with Cushing's disease. He has been drinking a lot of... (10504 views)

Sudden pain in dog. I have a nine year old female black lab mix, Polly. When I adopted her, I was... (2800 views)

What foods to give cats? Yesterday I adopted two male cats. I am unsure what to feed them. Their foster mum... (5327 views)

Can you die from a cat bite? hello dr.marie.i am too small to pay your fees but scared that i am not getting any... (13154 views)