Vomiting and not eating.

Breed: Shepherd mix
My shepherd mix, Beanie, is 8 years old, weighs about 44 pounds, and has always been very healthy. I feed my dogs Orijen, to which I add mixed (frozen) veggies and two eggs per week, one fish-oil capsule and a small handful of walnuts or almonds daily. He is a good, unpicky eater. Outside, he never eats any acorns, dried poop or anything like that, but he is a grazer. Whenever we are outside, he spends his time grazing on plants and/or grass. I think he just likes the taste because he never, ever vomits.

Until last night, that is. We have two dogs, but I'm pretty sure he was the one who threw up about a 3"x5" portion of his dinner. This morning on our walk he didn't do his normal poking around at everything in the woods, but walked slowly beside me the whole way. He had a normal (no diarrhea) BM. At one point I noticed that spittle was dripping from the side of his mouth and he looked very unhappy. He did not have any nasal discharge. When we got home he wouldn't eat his fish-oil capsule, but ate one walnut and hurried off to get back into bed. His nose is dry and warm.

He's up to date on his shots, is never loose, and hasn't had contact with any dogs other than our other dog in almost a week.

This is longer than I wanted to make my question, but I wanted to be thorough. I'd much appreciate any suggestions you might have about what might be wrong.

Thanks for your thorough question.

There are a great number of things that can cause vomiting in a dog.

Sometimes a dog can vomit because of something they have eaten, but I don't think this is the case with Beanie. However, it may be a good idea to check out the nuts you are giving him. While walnuts and almonds are not toxic to dogs they can sometimes get moldy if you have had them for a while and this could definitely cause a dog to vomit.

If the vomiting persists for more than 24 hours then there is a possibility that there is an underlying health concern such as a kidney or liver problem, an infection or something else. Again, there are hundreds of things that can cause vomiting.

So, if the vomiting and not eating continues then a vet visit will be necessary.

Sometimes with mild stomach upset it helps to give a period of 24 hours with no food followed by very small meals of chicken and rice. These are foods that are very easy to digest and shouldn't upset his stomach.

But, if the problem is persisting then a vet visit is the best idea.

Regular vs baby aspirin I have run out of baby aspirin so is it ok to give a dog just one low dose bayer... (19772 views)

Vulva dermatitis. Good Morning Doctor: My 6 year old Golden(Honey) has an infection around her female... (24740 views)

Bump after fight. My dog got attacked by another dog 4 days ago during a walk. The other dog was on a... (81263 views)

Will mating kill my dog? i have had my dog for 2 weeks an she has just mated with my brothers dog but the... (7007 views)

Toxic to pets? I am going green and looking for a floor cleaning solution that is dog safe. I was... (4924 views)

Sick, limping puppy. Good Evening I know my puppy needs to go to the vet however the vet will not be... (7950 views)

Back leg shaking. My aging Pit bull terrier's back leg shakes like he has Parkinson's disease. Back... (7544 views)

Wobbly after seizure. hello, I have a 4 year old husky mix who is epelectic. Hes on phenobarbital and... (37836 views)

Vomiting kitten. My 4 week kitten was abandoned by his mom when he was a few days old. He is very... (5094 views)

Dog ate chocolate bar. Hello. In September 2009, we got a family pet. She was born on 9th of July 2009. So... (5259 views)