Boxer grinding teeth.

Breed: boxer
my fixed female boxer has recently started grinding her teeth. she seems to do this when licking her lips and swallowing. she eats fine, chews on her nylabone and shows no signs of pain. is this a concern? thanks, sf

Thanks for your question.

When a dog grinds her teeth it is called "bruxism". Bruxism is usually a sign of some type of pain.

A dog will sometimes grind their teeth because of abdominal pain. It can often be hard to figure out why there is pain there.

Another possible reason for tooth grinding is pain in the mouth. There are a number of things that can cause dental issues in boxers. Sometimes they are difficult to find unless the dog is under anesthetic. Sometimes dental issues even need dental xrays in order to be determined.

It's also possible that she has a TMJ problem which is pain the jaw.

If this was my patient I would probably be trying her on some medication to help with stomach upset such as famotidine.

If that didn't work then I would likely try a pain reliever to see if that helps. If the pain reliever did help then I may consider doing a good dental exam under an anesthetic.

Worn footpads. Hi, Dr. Marie: I'm writing to ask you how to treat sore, blistered paws. I pushed... (5919 views)

Died after bloat surgery. My dog became sick early Friday morning (2am) and vomited 3 times between 2am and... (17933 views)

cat with trouble breathing I have a cat named Bunny, she is about 4 or 5 years old, she is a little over... (25129 views)

Lump on dog's chin. My dachshund has a bump on his lower lip that looks like a blood blister? Could it... (40808 views)

Tapazole not working. Miss Kitty who is spayed and about 13 yrs old (we rescued her) was recently... (8362 views)

Vomiting foamy yellow stuff. My Yorki 8 Lb and was throwing up yellow foamy and almost puss like stuff 3 days ago... (18148 views)

Swelling on ear. My 2 year old male beagle has a bump on his outer ear flap which resembles the post... (7231 views)

High liver enzymes. After vomiting, we took him to the vet, thinking it was a sinus or allergy... (11006 views)

Sneezing guinea pig. My guinea pig is sneezing and wiping her nose more frequntly than she did... (19870 views)

10 month puppy with heartworm. I am considering adopting a 10 month old puppy from the SPCA and was told he was... (12104 views)