Boxer grinding teeth.

Breed: boxer
my fixed female boxer has recently started grinding her teeth. she seems to do this when licking her lips and swallowing. she eats fine, chews on her nylabone and shows no signs of pain. is this a concern? thanks, sf

Thanks for your question.

When a dog grinds her teeth it is called "bruxism". Bruxism is usually a sign of some type of pain.

A dog will sometimes grind their teeth because of abdominal pain. It can often be hard to figure out why there is pain there.

Another possible reason for tooth grinding is pain in the mouth. There are a number of things that can cause dental issues in boxers. Sometimes they are difficult to find unless the dog is under anesthetic. Sometimes dental issues even need dental xrays in order to be determined.

It's also possible that she has a TMJ problem which is pain the jaw.

If this was my patient I would probably be trying her on some medication to help with stomach upset such as famotidine.

If that didn't work then I would likely try a pain reliever to see if that helps. If the pain reliever did help then I may consider doing a good dental exam under an anesthetic.

Itchy behind neck and ears. My cat, fuzzy, is starting to itch behind her neck, her ear area, base of her tail,... (10619 views)

Lethargic cat My cat has been lethargic for a couple days. Noticed yesterday afternoon. She... (18506 views)

Should dog have a liver biopsy? My dog, Zora, was adopted from a rescue group in CA so we don't know much about her... (12216 views)

Rat bleeding from eye. It started about 4-5 weeks ago when I noticed my girl was bleeding from her eye and... (21485 views)

Guinea pig not eating. Hello, I have a 3 year old guinea pig who has stopped eating. Last week I... (8770 views)

Muscle tremors and distemper. I have an around 4 - 6 month old puppy who was a street dog in Dharamsala India. She... (14026 views)

Treatments for IBD in dogs. My dog has IBD, biopsy diagnosis. Tested feb 2010 mild fib rising lymphocytic... (15791 views)

Is kennel cough contagious to people? hi my 3 year old standard poodle went to the groomer on wed and today he was... (12351 views)

Intranasal vaccine reaction. our kitten seams to have had a reaction to her nasal vacine it had been about four... (9371 views)

Sluggish Boxer My Boxer got sluggish on the 20th of March so we took him to the vets. They did... (9976 views)