Boxer grinding teeth.

Breed: boxer
my fixed female boxer has recently started grinding her teeth. she seems to do this when licking her lips and swallowing. she eats fine, chews on her nylabone and shows no signs of pain. is this a concern? thanks, sf

Thanks for your question.

When a dog grinds her teeth it is called "bruxism". Bruxism is usually a sign of some type of pain.

A dog will sometimes grind their teeth because of abdominal pain. It can often be hard to figure out why there is pain there.

Another possible reason for tooth grinding is pain in the mouth. There are a number of things that can cause dental issues in boxers. Sometimes they are difficult to find unless the dog is under anesthetic. Sometimes dental issues even need dental xrays in order to be determined.

It's also possible that she has a TMJ problem which is pain the jaw.

If this was my patient I would probably be trying her on some medication to help with stomach upset such as famotidine.

If that didn't work then I would likely try a pain reliever to see if that helps. If the pain reliever did help then I may consider doing a good dental exam under an anesthetic.

Hair loss and black skin. my 15 yr old pomeranian is losing hair in the middle of her back. it just now... (9818 views)

Cat losing hair in patches Our cat has started loosing hair in spots. HE is an orange tabby. White spots... (19504 views)

1 month puppy can't poop. She has been constipated for 3 days. We have put half tsp. olive oil in food, giving... (14226 views)

Pancreatitis in dogs. A few days ago my little 8 pounds, 2 years old chihuahua was having an upset... (19839 views)

intercat aggression We have four brothers that are 1 year old. They were wild cats when their mamma... (7353 views)

Coughing chihuahua My chihuahua has had an intermittent cough since roughly last year when she had most... (15131 views)

Puppy vomiting with blood. my puppy was born on december 18, she was born a normal pup but now she and her... (8742 views)

Bassett with swollen eyes. I have a 5 year old bassett whos eye swelled up quite a bit this morning. We took... (14172 views)

Blood in urine after neuter. My dog was neutered 2 days ago. When he pees now there is small traces of blood in... (32383 views)

Ferret with hair loss and wobbliness. My ferett has lost all hair on back and i came home today and he is extremly wobbly... (19352 views)