Boxer grinding teeth.

Breed: boxer
my fixed female boxer has recently started grinding her teeth. she seems to do this when licking her lips and swallowing. she eats fine, chews on her nylabone and shows no signs of pain. is this a concern? thanks, sf

Thanks for your question.

When a dog grinds her teeth it is called "bruxism". Bruxism is usually a sign of some type of pain.

A dog will sometimes grind their teeth because of abdominal pain. It can often be hard to figure out why there is pain there.

Another possible reason for tooth grinding is pain in the mouth. There are a number of things that can cause dental issues in boxers. Sometimes they are difficult to find unless the dog is under anesthetic. Sometimes dental issues even need dental xrays in order to be determined.

It's also possible that she has a TMJ problem which is pain the jaw.

If this was my patient I would probably be trying her on some medication to help with stomach upset such as famotidine.

If that didn't work then I would likely try a pain reliever to see if that helps. If the pain reliever did help then I may consider doing a good dental exam under an anesthetic.

Kitten has diarrhea Hi, my four month old cat has not stopped doing runny poos since i have had her. i... (8141 views)

Spot in cat's eye. About a year ago our cat was looked at by a vet. He got all his shots and was... (23735 views)

Hair loss on a boxer. I've had Kizzie for two years. She's a vibrant and playful dog. Recently, I've... (12652 views)

Chicken fillets by Beefeaters. Dear Dr. Marie, I have a 10 y.o. Black and Tan Coonhound and he just loves... (12888 views)

Brain and thyroid cancer. Hello Dr. Marie, I'm so sad to say I lost my boy cancer last week. We first... (13873 views)

Large lymph nodes in a cat. My cat Miko seems to have swollen lymph nodes under her neck. They've been like that... (42165 views)

Are tomatoes bad for cats? Hi, My ragdoll cat loves cherry tomatoes! - he goes mad crazy for the but I am... (36968 views)

Vomiting undigested food. My cat primarily eats dry food. She frequently vomits undigested food.What can I do... (12103 views)

Trouble urinating after neuter surgery. Hi Dr, Max was neutered yesterday at 10 am. The nurses said he went to pee 2... (58594 views)

Does my cat have glaucoma? About 2 weeks ago, I started noticing that Mietzi's right pupil would always stay... (5091 views)