Boxer grinding teeth.

Breed: boxer
my fixed female boxer has recently started grinding her teeth. she seems to do this when licking her lips and swallowing. she eats fine, chews on her nylabone and shows no signs of pain. is this a concern? thanks, sf

Thanks for your question.

When a dog grinds her teeth it is called "bruxism". Bruxism is usually a sign of some type of pain.

A dog will sometimes grind their teeth because of abdominal pain. It can often be hard to figure out why there is pain there.

Another possible reason for tooth grinding is pain in the mouth. There are a number of things that can cause dental issues in boxers. Sometimes they are difficult to find unless the dog is under anesthetic. Sometimes dental issues even need dental xrays in order to be determined.

It's also possible that she has a TMJ problem which is pain the jaw.

If this was my patient I would probably be trying her on some medication to help with stomach upset such as famotidine.

If that didn't work then I would likely try a pain reliever to see if that helps. If the pain reliever did help then I may consider doing a good dental exam under an anesthetic.

Lifespan of a rat? What is the average lifespan of a rat? My rat is 3 years old and very healthy. Is... (7083 views)

Dog is scratching his ear. For the past couple of weeks, Shilo has been scratching his ear and rubbing it on... (16285 views)

Golden with itchy abdomen. Hello My dog Henri has been constantly licking and chewing his underside inside... (34074 views)

Can dogs get colds? Lady is currently still at a pet store but she is a sweet puppy and we've had our... (8291 views)

Chihuahua ate tennis ball. My small, 5lb baby girl chihauha (sp?) was outside playing with our two other dogs. ... (21787 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea in pregnancy. My dog has had 1 or 2 ties and it's been about a week now and she's starting to have... (7069 views)

Stop puppy from biting. How can I stop my puppy from biting me? I don't want to give her up but she is... (9247 views)

Stroke or brain tumor? I have been doing a lot of searching on the internet over the weekend and am glad... (11785 views)

Bassett hound neck pain, etc. Our dog Lola came to us as a stray about 3 yrs ago. She is about 7 years old and... (13085 views)

lump on spay incision Hello Dr. Marie, Gracie was spayed 5 days ago. Her incision looks wonderful... (27500 views)