Bitch searching for dead puppies.

Breed: papillon
my papillon bitch gave birth to a litter of premature pups. sadly they are all dead now. we took them away, now it seems like shes serching for them and in distress. how can i help her?

Oh I am sorry to hear that the puppies died.

It is very sad to see a mom who is searching for her pups after losing them.

You may want to consider giving her a puppy sized stuffed toy. There are pros and cons to this. For some dogs this can be quite comforting and the presence of the toy will help to numb the pain of the loss.

However, sometimes this is not so good to do. Some bitches will become very attached to the toy and become aggressive when anyone tries to touch it. Additionally, giving her the toy may actually prolong the grieving period.

Personally, if this were my client I would be advising to do nothing other than to spend lots of time with Tiny and keep her as active as possible. Her sadness should not last long.

If she seems really anxious you can talk to your vet about anti-anxiety medication. However, it is quite rare that a dog needs this.

I hope she feels better soon.

Diaphragmatic hernia. Our 8-year-old neutered male cat has a history of various health issues:... (6536 views)

Brown bugs on my dog. I got a new dog, a crossbreed of Pomeranian and Chihuahua, and I discovered... (8862 views)

Patellar luxation surgery for pomeranian? Hi, How necessary is it to have surgery on a 2 year old Pomeranian's back legs to... (5933 views)

Dog bitten by another dog my dog got bit by a boxer dog on the front leg what shall i... (12342 views)

Bad euthanasia Hello, I had to have my dog euthanized. After she got her first injection to be... (5276 views)

Liver shunt or exercise induced collapse? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 year old female lab named Harper. Harper loves to play... (5059 views)

Neuter at 8 weeks? We are trying to decide when to get our male kitten spayed. He is around 2 months... (5968 views)

Blood in urine after bladder surgery Hello again Dr. Marie. My dog had bladder surgery on Monday. To make a long story... (19489 views)

White tongue after neuter. My dog got neutered couple of days ago and seems to be recovering fine. He is eating... (10279 views)

Boxer having seizures. Questions about seizures and MRI. Hello, My question is VERY similar to the... (7187 views)