Bitch searching for dead puppies.

Breed: papillon
my papillon bitch gave birth to a litter of premature pups. sadly they are all dead now. we took them away, now it seems like shes serching for them and in distress. how can i help her?

Oh I am sorry to hear that the puppies died.

It is very sad to see a mom who is searching for her pups after losing them.

You may want to consider giving her a puppy sized stuffed toy. There are pros and cons to this. For some dogs this can be quite comforting and the presence of the toy will help to numb the pain of the loss.

However, sometimes this is not so good to do. Some bitches will become very attached to the toy and become aggressive when anyone tries to touch it. Additionally, giving her the toy may actually prolong the grieving period.

Personally, if this were my client I would be advising to do nothing other than to spend lots of time with Tiny and keep her as active as possible. Her sadness should not last long.

If she seems really anxious you can talk to your vet about anti-anxiety medication. However, it is quite rare that a dog needs this.

I hope she feels better soon.

Tresaderm causing seizure? Hi, I have a special-needs 6 year old cat that was born with a neurological... (6865 views)

Sudden death in papillon My Doctor, I had a six year old female Papillon. She was in seemingly perfect and... (8352 views)

Recurrent bladder infection. I have a four month old pug puppy that has had symptoms of UTI since 4/8/13. She is... (12471 views)

Testicular and splenic masses. My 9 year old Golden Retriever had enlarged testicles with no other symptoms. I took... (10010 views)

Overdose of Xanax. Can forty .5 mg pills of Alprazolam Kill a 6 pound chihuahua? came home and found my... (80919 views)

Dog inhaled bleach. Our dog is having trouble breathing after inhaling Clorox. It was accidental my... (48195 views)

Salivating dog. Seizures? My dog started to twist and chew on her tongue and stick it out on her right side... (11864 views)

Surgery or rest for CCL tear. Dear Dr. Marie, My dog often limping recently and i've brought her to see a vet in... (9296 views)

Pregnant dog has tick disease. my dog is pregnant and she is suffering from tick disease so can i give her... (11526 views)

Grade 2 mast cell tumor. Hi, I want to adopt a 9yr old female Golden Retrever from this breeder. The breeder... (13845 views)