Bitch searching for dead puppies.

Breed: papillon
my papillon bitch gave birth to a litter of premature pups. sadly they are all dead now. we took them away, now it seems like shes serching for them and in distress. how can i help her?

Oh I am sorry to hear that the puppies died.

It is very sad to see a mom who is searching for her pups after losing them.

You may want to consider giving her a puppy sized stuffed toy. There are pros and cons to this. For some dogs this can be quite comforting and the presence of the toy will help to numb the pain of the loss.

However, sometimes this is not so good to do. Some bitches will become very attached to the toy and become aggressive when anyone tries to touch it. Additionally, giving her the toy may actually prolong the grieving period.

Personally, if this were my client I would be advising to do nothing other than to spend lots of time with Tiny and keep her as active as possible. Her sadness should not last long.

If she seems really anxious you can talk to your vet about anti-anxiety medication. However, it is quite rare that a dog needs this.

I hope she feels better soon.

Alternative to fluid pills. What can be done about getting rid of fluid in my dog other than fluid pills?... (10273 views)

Noticing metallic odor. Hi! I recently adopted a dog from a NYC euth list. I've had her for about 3 weeks... (37737 views)

Severe arthritis. Hi Dr. Marie, My sweet Murphys is displaying weakness in hind legs, (they... (7118 views)

Bumps on bulldog. Dr. Marie, Rocky has been having a series of hives over the past few weeks, which... (16998 views)

Mucus in kitten's eyes. I found a kittin this moring it appeared to have mucus around the eyes and nose. I... (25273 views)

Light sensitivity in older cat. Jack, 12 years old, was diagnosed with CKD 6months ago and is having Hills... (10852 views)

Lump on dog's foot. Hello, my 12 month old female boxer has a small pink lump on her toe/paw. I noticed... (27404 views)

Bleeding from penis. My Siberian Husky has been bleeding from his penis for the last 2 days, It comes and... (15195 views)

Shedding Akita. my akita is 14 months old and is lossing massive clumps of fur. he has new curse... (9528 views)

Sudden pain in dog. I have a nine year old female black lab mix, Polly. When I adopted her, I was... (6800 views)