Bitch searching for dead puppies.

Breed: papillon
my papillon bitch gave birth to a litter of premature pups. sadly they are all dead now. we took them away, now it seems like shes serching for them and in distress. how can i help her?

Oh I am sorry to hear that the puppies died.

It is very sad to see a mom who is searching for her pups after losing them.

You may want to consider giving her a puppy sized stuffed toy. There are pros and cons to this. For some dogs this can be quite comforting and the presence of the toy will help to numb the pain of the loss.

However, sometimes this is not so good to do. Some bitches will become very attached to the toy and become aggressive when anyone tries to touch it. Additionally, giving her the toy may actually prolong the grieving period.

Personally, if this were my client I would be advising to do nothing other than to spend lots of time with Tiny and keep her as active as possible. Her sadness should not last long.

If she seems really anxious you can talk to your vet about anti-anxiety medication. However, it is quite rare that a dog needs this.

I hope she feels better soon.

Excessive drooling. My Puggle started drooling a few days ago and I assumed she had gotten a red ant or... (19749 views)

Goat's milk for puppies. Is goat's milk good to give nursing puppies? My puppies won't nurse and I was told... (5692 views)

Pine bedding and gerbils. Hi, We noticed that our gerbil was lethargic, eyes closed, breathing rapidly. I... (6513 views)

older cat with itchy ears. Dear Dr Marie: For the last 3-4 weeks Emily has had itchy ears. She scratches... (8877 views)

Itchy on back. max is a 11yo. Boston terrier about 18pounds. He is in perfect health, according to... (7710 views)

Pregnant dog has tick disease. my dog is pregnant and she is suffering from tick disease so can i give her... (9344 views)

Red swollen paw. My cat's paw is red and swollen. The middle toes are swelling so they appear to be... (15326 views)

Mass in cat's chest? Hello, My cat, a sterilized indoor-living Japanese Bobtail, is now 4 years old... (15424 views)

Getting new pup after parvo. We rescued a puppy from the pound 6 month ago, we did not know when we get here that... (26107 views)

Puppy with crystals. our registered golden retriever,Ginger, had a litter of puppies a few months ago(no... (9015 views)