Older dog having seizures.

Breed: Pug
She has been having more vestibular events lately and closer to each other and I'm wondering how much harm they can do to her? She already has mass cell cancer, seizures, and is blind in one eye and going senile

I'm sorry to hear that Zoe is having problems. It sounds like there are a number of things going on.

When we talk about vestibular syndrome, it is usually a one time event. If a dog is having multiple episodes then this is not vestibular syndrome. These are likely seizures. But it's hard to say without having a full history and being able to see her.

Is Zoe currently on seizure medication such as phenobarbital? If so, you can talk to your vet about possibly adjusting the dose. This may help. If not, then it may be time to start medications.

It's also not a bad idea to have your vet take a look at Zoe and do some general blood tests to see if there is anything underlying.

It sounds like you are concerned about Zoe's quality of life. From what you have described it is probably appropriate to consider euthanasia. I know this is a hard subject to think about but if an older dog is not doing well sometimes this is the kindest thing we can do.

Please let me know if you have more specific questions that I can answer.

Zoe is on medications, in fact she has her own pill bar. She is taking Keppra ER 500 mg for seizures, selegiline for senility, prilosec, 2.5 mg of pred, one for a gagging cough along with doxy for that too

She sure is on a lot if medicines. Usually a dog is only put on Keppra if the seizure condition is quite severe. It may be that the dosage needs to be increased bit this is a decision that your vet will need to make. I would definitely recommend seeking the advice of your vet.

They can also help you of there are decisions to be made about Zoe's quality of life.

My vet is only open until noon today but I got Zoe in Wednesday. How would I know the difference between a seizure and a vestibular event? Her seizures have involved her full body when she has them and the events I'm calling vestibular have involved her eyes darting back and forth and her sitting there whining

A vestibular event is a one time thing so if this is happening continually then it's not vestibular syndrome. It sounds like the eye movements you are describing are something called nystagmus. Nystagmus means that there Is a problem in a particular part of the brain. It can happen with vestibular syndrome but also with seizures.

If this continues then you may need to see an emergency vet.

Took her in to my vet right at closing and they checked her out finding a pretty bad ear infection in both ears, and said it can lead to VD, so we have a mix to put in her ears for 2 weeks along with Zenequin, thanks for ur help

Oh that is good news! So glad you could have her seen today and that it was nothing too serious.

What caused liver fracture? We fostered an abused, rescue dog in January of 2012 to May 2012 when she died... (9446 views)

Bad rash on neck. One of our neighborhood cats has a really bad looking rash all over his neck. Here... (15362 views)

Blood in urine after neuter. My dog was neutered 2 days ago. When he pees now there is small traces of blood in... (28837 views)

Sneezing cat. We have adopted a feral cat off the back porch in November. We think she is about 2... (11563 views)

Severe arthritis and leaking urine. Hi we have a 13 year old dog with long term hip dysplasia. he has cartrophen once a... (11207 views)

Expensive fecal exam. Hello Dr. Marie, My question is about a vet bill that I got yesterday and I... (35752 views)

Pregnant if bred when bleeding? I have a golden retriever that's about to be 3years old. She recently mated with... (66617 views)

Vomiting pregnant cat. hello dr.vet my cat was with a male 2 weeks ago yesterday she started to vomit 5... (5483 views)

Needs anals done often. Heidi is having trouble with anal glands. She is on a home cooked diet, mostly... (8379 views)

Ear cropping for boxers? should a boxers ear be cut off or let them grow? and my pets name is not any of your... (7480 views)