Older dog having seizures.

Breed: Pug
She has been having more vestibular events lately and closer to each other and I'm wondering how much harm they can do to her? She already has mass cell cancer, seizures, and is blind in one eye and going senile

I'm sorry to hear that Zoe is having problems. It sounds like there are a number of things going on.

When we talk about vestibular syndrome, it is usually a one time event. If a dog is having multiple episodes then this is not vestibular syndrome. These are likely seizures. But it's hard to say without having a full history and being able to see her.

Is Zoe currently on seizure medication such as phenobarbital? If so, you can talk to your vet about possibly adjusting the dose. This may help. If not, then it may be time to start medications.

It's also not a bad idea to have your vet take a look at Zoe and do some general blood tests to see if there is anything underlying.

It sounds like you are concerned about Zoe's quality of life. From what you have described it is probably appropriate to consider euthanasia. I know this is a hard subject to think about but if an older dog is not doing well sometimes this is the kindest thing we can do.

Please let me know if you have more specific questions that I can answer.

Zoe is on medications, in fact she has her own pill bar. She is taking Keppra ER 500 mg for seizures, selegiline for senility, prilosec, 2.5 mg of pred, one for a gagging cough along with doxy for that too

She sure is on a lot if medicines. Usually a dog is only put on Keppra if the seizure condition is quite severe. It may be that the dosage needs to be increased bit this is a decision that your vet will need to make. I would definitely recommend seeking the advice of your vet.

They can also help you of there are decisions to be made about Zoe's quality of life.

My vet is only open until noon today but I got Zoe in Wednesday. How would I know the difference between a seizure and a vestibular event? Her seizures have involved her full body when she has them and the events I'm calling vestibular have involved her eyes darting back and forth and her sitting there whining

A vestibular event is a one time thing so if this is happening continually then it's not vestibular syndrome. It sounds like the eye movements you are describing are something called nystagmus. Nystagmus means that there Is a problem in a particular part of the brain. It can happen with vestibular syndrome but also with seizures.

If this continues then you may need to see an emergency vet.

Took her in to my vet right at closing and they checked her out finding a pretty bad ear infection in both ears, and said it can lead to VD, so we have a mix to put in her ears for 2 weeks along with Zenequin, thanks for ur help

Oh that is good news! So glad you could have her seen today and that it was nothing too serious.

Medication for aggressive dog? Hi! We adopted a 2.5 year old male white shepherd/lab, Denver, almost a year ago. At... (7684 views)

Seizures wouldn't stop. My dog suddenly had status epilepticus without having prior history of seizures. He... (29183 views)

Wart on dog's paw. Hello Dr Marie, I'm hoping you can help me identify a lump that I have found on... (25536 views)

Parvo carrier? A dog by the name of Bo was pulled from the pound along with some puppies, the... (29317 views)

How to make cat urinate. is there something we can put in her food to make her... (7802 views)

Testicular and splenic masses. My 9 year old Golden Retriever had enlarged testicles with no other symptoms. I took... (9331 views)

Coughing dog. Hi, We have talked before. Trixie is 13 years old and has had kidney issues. I... (16521 views)

Itchy by tail Dr. Marie, my dog always kind of chews/bites/scratches under the right side of his... (6777 views)

Recurring ear infections in Golden. My dog is a 90 pound Golden Retriever. He has had a lot of problems with ear... (19819 views)

Cloudy eye after an infection hi my dog steve is 8 months old hes a pureb german shepherd, within the last 8weeks... (11210 views)