Older dog having seizures.

Breed: Pug
She has been having more vestibular events lately and closer to each other and I'm wondering how much harm they can do to her? She already has mass cell cancer, seizures, and is blind in one eye and going senile

I'm sorry to hear that Zoe is having problems. It sounds like there are a number of things going on.

When we talk about vestibular syndrome, it is usually a one time event. If a dog is having multiple episodes then this is not vestibular syndrome. These are likely seizures. But it's hard to say without having a full history and being able to see her.

Is Zoe currently on seizure medication such as phenobarbital? If so, you can talk to your vet about possibly adjusting the dose. This may help. If not, then it may be time to start medications.

It's also not a bad idea to have your vet take a look at Zoe and do some general blood tests to see if there is anything underlying.

It sounds like you are concerned about Zoe's quality of life. From what you have described it is probably appropriate to consider euthanasia. I know this is a hard subject to think about but if an older dog is not doing well sometimes this is the kindest thing we can do.

Please let me know if you have more specific questions that I can answer.

Zoe is on medications, in fact she has her own pill bar. She is taking Keppra ER 500 mg for seizures, selegiline for senility, prilosec, 2.5 mg of pred, one for a gagging cough along with doxy for that too

She sure is on a lot if medicines. Usually a dog is only put on Keppra if the seizure condition is quite severe. It may be that the dosage needs to be increased bit this is a decision that your vet will need to make. I would definitely recommend seeking the advice of your vet.

They can also help you of there are decisions to be made about Zoe's quality of life.

My vet is only open until noon today but I got Zoe in Wednesday. How would I know the difference between a seizure and a vestibular event? Her seizures have involved her full body when she has them and the events I'm calling vestibular have involved her eyes darting back and forth and her sitting there whining

A vestibular event is a one time thing so if this is happening continually then it's not vestibular syndrome. It sounds like the eye movements you are describing are something called nystagmus. Nystagmus means that there Is a problem in a particular part of the brain. It can happen with vestibular syndrome but also with seizures.

If this continues then you may need to see an emergency vet.

Took her in to my vet right at closing and they checked her out finding a pretty bad ear infection in both ears, and said it can lead to VD, so we have a mix to put in her ears for 2 weeks along with Zenequin, thanks for ur help

Oh that is good news! So glad you could have her seen today and that it was nothing too serious.

Infected wound? Hi, my cat is indoor and outdoor (she has the face of an Egyptian Mau & its head... (3415 views)

Kitten died. Hello I work at the humane society. We recently adopted out a 13 week old long... (8010 views)

Male cat has large breasts. Recently (2-3 weeks), my 8 year old male tabby cat has, what seem to be, slightly... (19454 views)

Rat with facial swelling. My rat has developed swelling on the left side of her face. Her entire cheek has... (20271 views)

Abscess on dog's neck. We have been keeping an eye on a hard lump on my boxers upper neck, by ear. It... (40631 views)

Itchy between anus and penis. My dog is licking/scratching a lot in the area between his anus and his penis. It's... (32088 views)

Cat fell from the balcony. HI,Please,i Know i Didnt paid you! But i dont have credit card,and i think my cat... (10204 views)

Rat Lifespan? Sick rat. My 3 yr old rat is sick. His skin feels cold, breathing is rapid and labored, eyes... (10524 views)

Artificial sweetener ingestion. This morning I ate an atkins bar for breakfast. I left the wrapper on the couch and... (36528 views)

Lump on hamster Hi, Recenly my dwarf hamster has developed a pink lump with white spots under its... (20738 views)