Megacolon cat with problems.

Breed: Long-haired tortoise
Addie was diagnosed with megacolon at age 2. The vet prescribed medications - I only remember Cisapride. She was given fluids and had enemas. I eventually learned to give her enemas at home. It is very costly to visit the veterinarian every week. She even had accupuncture therapy, which worked at first, but then it did not made a difference. After 1 1/2 years of these treatments she had much of her colon removed. She has been getting along okay - I give her Lactulose 3 times a week and encourage her to come to the litter pan. Now the megacolon has returned. She had an enema last week and I am taking her for another this evening. Do you know of any other treatments or have we reached the end of the road? She is so afraid of going to the vet, I don't want to put her through this every week. And I cannot afford weekly visits. Any help you can offer will be appreciated.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that Addie has megacolon. This is one of the most difficult diseases to manage. How frustrating that you have had surgery done and yet the condition is returning. This does not happen very often.

There are a number of other things that can be done for cats with megacolon. Ultimately, you'll need to get the ok from your vet before going ahead with any of these, but let me give you some other ideas of things that I do to help my megacolon patients.

I have had really good success with switching these cats to a relatively new food on the market. It's called Medi-Cal (in Canada) or VMD (in the US) Gastro Diet. Now, gastro diet has been around for a long time, but recently they changed the formulation to add more psyllium and other things which help to keep the intestines moving. I have had several cats with constipation issues that have come off of all of their medications after switching to this food.

(Just so you know, some vets recommend high fiber food for these issues and others recommend low residue foods. The general consensus now is that high fiber foods don't really help. Low residue foods may help for some cats. But again, the Gastro food has been really a good thing in my practice.)

You mentioned you are giving lactulose three times weekly. You can ask your vet whether you could be giving this more frequently. Some cats can get it 3 times daily rather than weekly. The goal is to give enough to cause the stools to be soft, but not too much so that the stools are liquid. The problem is that lactulose does not taste good.

I've had other cats that have done well on miralax granules added to their food. This is similar to lactulose but some cats take it better.

I will often put these patients on a medication called cisapride. This is a medication that helps to move the small intestine. This movement, in turn, helps the large intestine move.

When I am really desperate with a constipated cat I will sometimes do colyte therapy. I have the cat stay in the hospital and put a feeding tube in place and then I trickle a liquid called colyte down the tube. This is the same thing that people drink just before they have a colonoscopy. It works really well to clear out the bowels. However, if I do this with a cat, I usually have them hospitalized and on IV fluids because it can do strange things to a cat's electrolytes.

Hopefully some of this information helps. I really hope that Addie improves soon!

Thank for such a quick and thorough reply. I took Addie to the vet last evening where she had an enema and was given fluids. She was given a prescription for Cisapride and I will up the Lactulose. Also, I agreed to try to give her inhome fluids every other day. Addie is very high strung so we will see how that goes! I will also look for the VMD food today after work. Thank you very much. I just want to know that I have done everything possible to help her.

You're very welcome and thanks so much for the generous bonus.

Just so you know, the VMD food is prescription so you'd need to get it through your veterinarian.

Have a great day!

Good chew toys for dogs. Hi Dr, I have a 9 month old dog who is part Golden and part Canadian beaver. He... (14203 views)

Roundworms and hookworms. How often do you find roundworms /hookworms in dogs is it rare of fairly... (3995 views)

Diabetic cat diet. Hi, I am the owner of two siamese cats (female) from same litter - 11.5 years old.... (10783 views)

Urinating in home. My cat is urinating all over my home. We recently moved into it about 2 months ago.... (7129 views)

Pregnant 10 month old dog. my mini doberman is 10 months and shes pregnant can she die? and how many dogs can... (12443 views)

Nature's Deli Chicken Jerky. Has anyone had a problem with Nature’s Deli chicken Jerky Dog Treats (from Denver,... (6737 views)

Toxoplasmosis and pregnancy. Hi. I'm 15 weeks pregnant and worried about my two cats. I know how to avoid... (4323 views)

Tick Borne Disease. I took my dog to the vet on both Friday and Saturday. He has a fever. He has a... (9579 views)

Cat's tail fell off. My cat is a male, seven year old, siamese crossed with ginger named Skittles. Around... (41234 views)

Cat licking his fur. Good evening, My 4 year old tuxedo cat has always been quite special (he meows... (12128 views)