Dental problems and weight loss.

Breed: Yorkshierr Terrier
i think she has a bad tooth,lost of weight,not eating her regular food,gave her rice and plain chicken,cant keep anything down,diahriea,throwing up and today to weak to walk.
I would have taken her to Vet but I just dont have the money right now and I feel so bad.

Hi Susie...I'm so sorry to hear about Tiny. It does sound like she is really unwell.

This sounds like it could be more than just a tooth infection. While a sore tooth can cause a lack of appetite it shouldn't cause the vomiting and diarrhea.

We do see some dogs that can get vomiting and diarrhea because they have eaten something unusual but this is usually quite temporary and shouldn't cause your little girl to be too weak to walk.

It's possible that Tiny has pancreatitis which can be caused by eating something really fatty (or sometimes we don't know the cause). Unfortunately dogs with severe pancreatitis need to be hospitalized in order to get better.

It may also be that she is having problems with her liver or kidneys. As dogs get older these organs can sometimes develop disease or even cancer.

You are doing the right things. When a dog has vomiting and diarrhea then chicken and rice are good foods that are easy on their stomach. However, it really sounds like she needs IV fluids.

Is she drinking? You can try giving her small amounts of unsweetened pedialyte. You can get this at the pharmacy - it is meant to give to children who are vomiting.

Some dogs who won't eat will eat small amounts of meat flavored baby food. You can try that.

If you cannot afford to see a vet, you can try the organizations listed in my blog at http://askavetquestion.com/blog/?p=20. Some of them will help people who are having financial troubles but desperately need vet care.

Another option is to contact your humane society. In some areas they will help. Or, if it comes to the point where Tiny is really suffering and euthanasia is necessary then many humane societies will do euthanasia for free or for a reduced cost.

I noticed that you had some trouble with our payment processing - it looks like you have paid 3 times. I will refund your last 2 payments.

I really hope Tiny does ok.

thank you so much I will try the baby food and pedialite..I am giving her water little by little all morning.and will also check your blog...I dont want to think about her dying it hurts so much she been my little girl for so long....if I can I keep you up dated with her progress....
You are Heaven sent thank you so much....

Susie

You're very welcome Susie. I'd love to hear about Tiny's progress.

I pray that she does well and I also pray for wisdom for you to know what to do with her!

I am sorry to tell you but I had to let her go after I gave her a little pedialyte she started to vomit again and it was nothing but blood and I saw in her eyes she was screaming for help...i took her to emergency vet and he told me he could treat her but no garanti for her getting better he sugessted
to stop her suffering so I did and it broke my heart but she is not suffering anymore and in Heaven watching over me.....

God bless you and what you do for us Pet owners.....

Susie

Oh...I am so sorry. It sounds like it was definitely time to say goodbye. The next few days will be hard but it does get better.

Increased thirst and urination. Hi Dr. Marie, This question concerns crystals in urine. Starting about 1 week... (4492 views)

Cleansing diet for dogs? I've just heard about the Chinese dog treat scare, and I'm going to check all my... (4813 views)

Older dog won't eat. My dog is a mutt, 14yrs old, and has been acting strangely as of late. She doesn't... (10174 views)

Puppy is very hyper. Gracey was born on July 6th..so she will be six months soon. We have had dogs all... (7545 views)

Lump on dog's side. Bundy has developed a circular mark...1/2 inch in diameter...the fur has gone the... (21839 views)

Lump on hamster Hi, Recenly my dwarf hamster has developed a pink lump with white spots under its... (20006 views)

Torn nail problem. my dog hooked her nail last saturday and broke the nail off very short and was... (11343 views)

Dog has heart murmur. Hello, Dr. Marie: When my dog was still a puppy, the vet told me that she had a 3... (34130 views)

Older cat not eating. Hi.I have had my cat for approximately. She has been sick and has lost a lot of... (23858 views)

Ear cartilage broken. someone has broke the cartridge in my dogs ear by rubbing them hard. what can i do... (20981 views)