Metacam safe for dogs?

Breed: Lab mix
Hi,
We have a 2 year old Lab mix from the local shelter. We adopted him as a puppy knowing that his back feet looked somewhat abnormal.
That did turn out to be the case as he grew . . .our orthopedic specialist says that all the bones below his back ankles are not right. Nevertheless, he is an awesome pet, and he is able to walk and even run (bunny-hop mostly) with the help of Medicam. His left back foot is a little worse than his right, and at times he walks on 3 legs . . .especially at a lower level of Medicam. We treat him with a once daily dose--somewhere between a dose level for a 30lb dog and a dose level for a 50lb dog . . .most days around the 35to 40lb level. Samson weighs 60lb.
My question is this: I know that Medicam carries the risk of side effects, and that Samson will probably need it the rest of his life, and he is only 2years old. How can I minimize the risk to him, and, also, how do I determine how much to give him . . .is it more important to keep him totally on 4 legs if, say, a 45lb dose would do that . . .or is it more important to minimize the dose to, say, a 35lb dose since he will need this forever?

Aw, poor Samson. It sounds like he is quite uncomfortable with his condition.

If Metacam works for Samson, then I wouldn't be worried at all about him taking it for the rest of his life. It is an NSAID which means that it is processed through the liver and kidneys but it is really a safe NSAID.

I get worried about using Metacam in dogs that have preexisting liver or kidney problems, but I don't have fears that Metacam is going to cause a liver or kidney problem.

I would continue with the dose that keeps him comfortable and wouldn't reduce the dose. If he is not walking on a leg then it means that there is pain in that leg.

You can also talk to your vet about trying adding on additional medications such as Cartrophen or Adequan injections, Tramadol or Cosequin.

As far as long term treatment goes, if this was my case I would likely be running a blood panel every 6-12 months to look at Samson's liver and kidney enzymes. Again, I don't feel that the Metacam is going to cause a problem. But, if something else happens to cause damage to these organs then we want to know about it and get on top of things quickly!

One other thing that you may want to consider is getting Samson fitted with a wheelchair. That way he would not have to put weight on his back legs at all. Your vet can help you decide if this could be a good option for him.

I hope he continues to do well!

Rabies from my dog? my 70 days old cocker spaniel bit my toe and there ws little bleeding and i cleaned... (5034 views)

Is my cat diabetic? Ollie is consuming lots of water, and peeing a lot. There has been a marked increase... (5539 views)

Food allergy? My pug will be eight in a few months. A few months ago, he started scratching alot.... (7239 views)

Dog ate absorbent chicken pad. My dog just ate one of those absorbent pads from a chicken meat tray......would this... (73602 views)

Ear cartilage broken. someone has broke the cartridge in my dogs ear by rubbing them hard. what can i do... (21760 views)

Hyperthyroid older cat. Dear Dr. Marie: My cat is 25 years old and has been relatively healthy in the 10... (7906 views)

Dog is limping. Denaro has had a limp in his left front leg for about a month, it goes from a... (14636 views)

Sick, limping puppy. Good Evening I know my puppy needs to go to the vet however the vet will not be... (8454 views)

Bald spots on cat's legs. I moved from Los Angeles to St.Louis with my cat. For a few months now I've noticed... (15219 views)

Paralyzed back legs. about a day ago,my dog stop using his bottom part of is body,like she paralyzed,and... (11381 views)