Liver shunt surgery.

Breed: Mixed Short Hair
Recently I found out that the kitten I adopted a few months ago has a Portosystemic shunt. His symptoms are subtle but a bile acid test concluded that he does have a shunt. We are going to put him on a low protein diet and lactulose and hoping that as he grows that he will out grow the shunt. But I am worried that if all this fails we will have to do surgery, which I'm not sure I can afford.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any foundations or organization that help with the payment of the surgery? I never been a person to ask for money and I hate the idea of it but I have become attached to this little guy and hate to see anything bad happen to him.

If you have any information I would be grateful :)

This is a tough situation to be in. Unfortunately cats don't tend to do as well with liver shunt surgery as dogs do. But, there are some cats that do well. An ultrasound may help your vet determine if Diesel is indeed a good candidate for surgery.

You may get some help from some of the following resources:

Help with Vet Bills

Dog ate moldy corn. My 4 month old, 20 lb. standard poodle may have eaten very moldy creamed corn from a... (51584 views)

Rabies from a feral kitten? Dear Dr. Marie, Greetings and I hope this e-mail reaches you in good health. I... (23468 views)

Pemphigus and prednisone. Dear Dr Marie I am from Nepal. It is a developing country with per capita income... (7208 views)

Dog can't stand. Vera is unable to stand on her back legs. She also cannot climb on to sofas or... (12596 views)

Dog has hotspots from fleas. In August my dog started scratching and biting creating hotspots. She has been... (10942 views)

Feeding a cat with fatty liver. Hi Dr. Marie, I am in a bit of a muddy situation. My client changed vets for ONE of... (9377 views)

Ringworm treatment in cat. First, thank you for your previous help with my questions. I have 2 issues with... (20568 views)

Cancer or pyometra? My lab who was quite healthy up and until August started to show a dulling coat and... (14830 views)

Pitbull with breathing problems. My daughter rescued a pit bull a few years ago. He has been an amazing dog. However,... (16642 views)

Lump on dog's lip. I have contacted you several times about my dog, Honey. I tend to over think things,... (81664 views)