Liver shunt surgery.

Breed: Mixed Short Hair
Recently I found out that the kitten I adopted a few months ago has a Portosystemic shunt. His symptoms are subtle but a bile acid test concluded that he does have a shunt. We are going to put him on a low protein diet and lactulose and hoping that as he grows that he will out grow the shunt. But I am worried that if all this fails we will have to do surgery, which I'm not sure I can afford.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any foundations or organization that help with the payment of the surgery? I never been a person to ask for money and I hate the idea of it but I have become attached to this little guy and hate to see anything bad happen to him.

If you have any information I would be grateful :)

This is a tough situation to be in. Unfortunately cats don't tend to do as well with liver shunt surgery as dogs do. But, there are some cats that do well. An ultrasound may help your vet determine if Diesel is indeed a good candidate for surgery.

You may get some help from some of the following resources:

Help with Vet Bills

Kitten nursing on my neck. why does my 8 to 10 month old kitty keep trying to suckle at my neck. He will not... (13011 views)

Dog licking his penis. My dog was groomed today and is licking his penis excessively (even stopping during... (43974 views)

Sick kitten is not eating. my kitten keeps being sick and hasnt eaten any thing in the last 3 days apart from a... (8046 views)

No bowel movements after parvo. I have a seven month old poodle mix puppy with parvovirus. He was a puppy someone... (21763 views)

Dog ate acorn Dear Dr. Marie: Back again! While on a walk tonight, Jammy may have gotten a bit... (93417 views)

Dog spay incision lump. My dog has a lump under her spay incision. I adopted Tiaa from a rescue group a... (65395 views)

Hamster with cushing's disease hi a am mina. i have 10 hamester. Unfortunately "blaki" (my Hamster) Maybe have... (8483 views)

Mercury levels in canned tuna cat food. My cat eats a lot of tuna flavored canned cat food. I have heard that mercury in... (14529 views)

Coughing cat. My cat has had a horrible cough for two or three months and the vet doesn't know... (3786 views)

Painful erection for dog. Help Dr Marie, My puppy is not neutered and three or four times I have found him... (15926 views)