Liver shunt surgery.

Breed: Mixed Short Hair
Recently I found out that the kitten I adopted a few months ago has a Portosystemic shunt. His symptoms are subtle but a bile acid test concluded that he does have a shunt. We are going to put him on a low protein diet and lactulose and hoping that as he grows that he will out grow the shunt. But I am worried that if all this fails we will have to do surgery, which I'm not sure I can afford.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any foundations or organization that help with the payment of the surgery? I never been a person to ask for money and I hate the idea of it but I have become attached to this little guy and hate to see anything bad happen to him.

If you have any information I would be grateful :)

This is a tough situation to be in. Unfortunately cats don't tend to do as well with liver shunt surgery as dogs do. But, there are some cats that do well. An ultrasound may help your vet determine if Diesel is indeed a good candidate for surgery.

You may get some help from some of the following resources:

Help with Vet Bills

Front leg and neck pain. Hi, I noticed last Thursday my dog being uncomfortable and by Saturday he started... (10582 views)

Puppy sleeps all the time. Hi, We just got our puppy Marley on Sunday, 16. He is eating and drinking, and is 7... (8598 views)

Kitten eating her feces. My kitten keeps eating her own poo and vomiting it back up and i dont know why... (10148 views)

Increased thirst and urination. Hi Dr. Marie, This question concerns crystals in urine. Starting about 1 week... (3940 views)

Sedative after heartworm treatment? Hello Dr. Marie, I have a 2 and a half year old boxer/lab that is being treated... (11568 views)

Addison's disease? I've seen a few questions where people ask about what could have happened to their... (49082 views)

Dog waking every 2 hours. Our dog gets congested, breathes through his mouth, his mouth dries out and he wants... (23250 views)

Arthritis in a Newfie. My ten year old Newfie mix is eating less and seems very stiff and sometimes... (8794 views)

Sick 4 week old puppies. i have 5 chihuahua puppies of 4 weeks, and last night one of the pup's started... (15978 views)

dog with red eye Hello, I have a 2 year old male lab pit mix, fr a couple his left eye has been... (21338 views)