Liver shunt surgery.

Breed: Mixed Short Hair
Recently I found out that the kitten I adopted a few months ago has a Portosystemic shunt. His symptoms are subtle but a bile acid test concluded that he does have a shunt. We are going to put him on a low protein diet and lactulose and hoping that as he grows that he will out grow the shunt. But I am worried that if all this fails we will have to do surgery, which I'm not sure I can afford.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any foundations or organization that help with the payment of the surgery? I never been a person to ask for money and I hate the idea of it but I have become attached to this little guy and hate to see anything bad happen to him.

If you have any information I would be grateful :)

This is a tough situation to be in. Unfortunately cats don't tend to do as well with liver shunt surgery as dogs do. But, there are some cats that do well. An ultrasound may help your vet determine if Diesel is indeed a good candidate for surgery.

You may get some help from some of the following resources:

Help with Vet Bills

Bump near anus. My dog has what looks like a pimple or maybe an ingrown hair? It's not white like a... (48766 views)

Dog licking everything My dog has recently started compulsivley licking his paws/us/anything else he can... (19256 views)

Open sore with black center. My dog has an open soar on her back a little bit smaller then a pencil eraser. In... (23997 views)

Puppy vaccinations. I have a new puppy. I was given his vaccination record (number of... (6945 views)

Arthritis medicine I have a 10 month old Pomeranian who appears to have hip problems. I am very low... (9797 views)

Lentigo on a cat. Hi Dr. Marie... My 3.5 year old tortoiseshell cat has developed a black freckle... (26284 views)

Natural treatment for fever in a cat. Hello, My friend's cat is suffering from fever. I would like to know... (9303 views)

High liver enzymes. I had placed Archie in a board and care home while we were on vacation. After coming... (15454 views)

Sick pregnant cat. hi, i think my cat is pregnant, shes suddenly put on alot of weight and has spotted... (12266 views)

Slimy white stuff in urine. Last night my cat urinated on the couch. That's abnormal on it's own but, in... (33668 views)