Licking feet.

Breed: American Short-haire
My cat has suddenly been licking her back paws consistently and thumping them against the floor in a very fast, repeating manner. This started yesterday. She eventually stopped but today she's doing again and is now hiding under the bed. She doesn't want to come out so that I can check on her paws. Not even to eat unless I bring the bowl next to the bed. Yesterday her paws seemed fine. I wanted to take her to the vet but the earliest appointment available is Saturday. Any advice you can give? She recently had a check up and she's apparently in very good shape for her age.

I have to say that these are really odd symptoms. I don't think I have ever had a case where a cat is frantically licking and thumping their back feet.

My first thought would be whether she has stepped in something that is irritating her. Does she go outside? I wonder if she possibly stepped on something hot and has burns on the bottom of her feet? Can you see if there is anything unusual on her feet? I know that will be hard to check if she won't let you examine her.

There really isn't a medical condition that I can think of that would cause these symptoms. There are some arthritis conditions that can cause pain in the back legs but they wouldn't come on so quickly.

It sounds like an exam is really needed. It is important that she continues to eat. So, if she will eat when you bring the bowl to her then you may need to keep doing that. If her appetite decreases or if she is not making any improvement at all I'd phone the vet again and see if they can get you in earlier.

I'd love to hear what the vet says. Please do post back if you get a diagnosis.

Cat not using box. My cat got attacked in a fight early Friday morning. She had to have an operation on... (11318 views)

Should dog have a liver biopsy? My dog, Zora, was adopted from a rescue group in CA so we don't know much about her... (10920 views)

How to get a guinea pig to lose weight Hi Dr. Marie: Recently I took my sow guinea pig Squeaky to have her nails trimmed.... (5397 views)

Limping cat. My cat is limping, she is not putting weight on her left hind leg. She isn't cut or... (20736 views)

Possible brain tumor. We would like your opinion on whether we were right in putting Barney to... (19777 views)

Dog's penis is stuck out of sheath. Hi, Ive noticed my 7 month male yorkie has started to lick himself a lot "down... (105172 views)

Swollen eye in older cat. Hello - I have a 13-yr cat with renal issues (diagnosed 2 yrs ago) - but she has... (9676 views)

Panadol (tylenol) for cat? my cat(3 years) has been drooling non-stop for the past 3 days and wont eat or drink... (6208 views)

Weakness in legs and thirsty. Dear Dr. Marie, Sammy has been having weakness in hind legs,difficulty standing... (12097 views)

Need exam with steroid shot? Is it by the state of law that your cat needs to be examined when you know the cat... (5156 views)