Licking feet.

Breed: American Short-haire
My cat has suddenly been licking her back paws consistently and thumping them against the floor in a very fast, repeating manner. This started yesterday. She eventually stopped but today she's doing again and is now hiding under the bed. She doesn't want to come out so that I can check on her paws. Not even to eat unless I bring the bowl next to the bed. Yesterday her paws seemed fine. I wanted to take her to the vet but the earliest appointment available is Saturday. Any advice you can give? She recently had a check up and she's apparently in very good shape for her age.

I have to say that these are really odd symptoms. I don't think I have ever had a case where a cat is frantically licking and thumping their back feet.

My first thought would be whether she has stepped in something that is irritating her. Does she go outside? I wonder if she possibly stepped on something hot and has burns on the bottom of her feet? Can you see if there is anything unusual on her feet? I know that will be hard to check if she won't let you examine her.

There really isn't a medical condition that I can think of that would cause these symptoms. There are some arthritis conditions that can cause pain in the back legs but they wouldn't come on so quickly.

It sounds like an exam is really needed. It is important that she continues to eat. So, if she will eat when you bring the bowl to her then you may need to keep doing that. If her appetite decreases or if she is not making any improvement at all I'd phone the vet again and see if they can get you in earlier.

I'd love to hear what the vet says. Please do post back if you get a diagnosis.

Lymphangectasia in a dog Hi Dr, Sorry to bother you again. Max's biopsies came back. strong... (7657 views)

Surgery needed for cruciate tear? Hello again Dr. Marie, you seem like a compassionate and caring person, so I would... (4025 views)

Flea problems. I have a ragdoll cat who weighs 15 lbs. I have tried different types of flea control... (8128 views)

Should I do these tests? I have two shih tzu's from the same litter. They were born on 1/29/09, so they are... (14696 views)

Should we continue with antibiotics? Dear Dr. Marie, I'm writing about my cat who had a skin allergy which started... (6104 views)

Milky urine in guinea pig. One of my guinea pigs urine is milky, this has never happened before. Their diet is... (9471 views)

Allergic reaction to vaccines. He just got all his shots this morning and has been vomiting since and his face is... (11265 views)

Brain and thyroid cancer. Hello Dr. Marie, I'm so sad to say I lost my boy cancer last week. We first... (13393 views)

Grunting pitbull I have two pit bulls, one is Maverick (female) and the other is Diezel (male). I... (10585 views)

Guinea pig-Scab and itchy. my guinea pig is scratching a sore what is wrong with... (9699 views)