Licking feet.

Breed: American Short-haire
My cat has suddenly been licking her back paws consistently and thumping them against the floor in a very fast, repeating manner. This started yesterday. She eventually stopped but today she's doing again and is now hiding under the bed. She doesn't want to come out so that I can check on her paws. Not even to eat unless I bring the bowl next to the bed. Yesterday her paws seemed fine. I wanted to take her to the vet but the earliest appointment available is Saturday. Any advice you can give? She recently had a check up and she's apparently in very good shape for her age.

I have to say that these are really odd symptoms. I don't think I have ever had a case where a cat is frantically licking and thumping their back feet.

My first thought would be whether she has stepped in something that is irritating her. Does she go outside? I wonder if she possibly stepped on something hot and has burns on the bottom of her feet? Can you see if there is anything unusual on her feet? I know that will be hard to check if she won't let you examine her.

There really isn't a medical condition that I can think of that would cause these symptoms. There are some arthritis conditions that can cause pain in the back legs but they wouldn't come on so quickly.

It sounds like an exam is really needed. It is important that she continues to eat. So, if she will eat when you bring the bowl to her then you may need to keep doing that. If her appetite decreases or if she is not making any improvement at all I'd phone the vet again and see if they can get you in earlier.

I'd love to hear what the vet says. Please do post back if you get a diagnosis.

Swelling inside leg. I got my beagle from a beagle rescue, so I don't know too much about her background... (23153 views)

Dachshund not feeling well. Dr, We have a new baby girl and Primo has slept in our bed since he was a puppy,... (8708 views)

How often to give Benadryl? Lola always has a little bit of a breathing issue b/c of her short snout and I have... (8328 views)

Ear infection. Fred has been miserable. I have tried what i know to do. He has had a ear infection... (6908 views)

Swollen glands in neck. 7 year old corgie, swollen glands in neck, possible swelling in abdominal area near... (25136 views)

Lymph node enlargement. Lola was diagnosed with stage III-IVa (b cell) lymphoma a few months ago. Today was... (5191 views)

Euthanasia for older cat. I euthanized my cat on Friday, and I regret it so badly. He was 14 1/2 years old,... (8840 views)

Doxycycline and amoxicillin. My dog is believed to have Lyme disease, her test was negative but our vet thought... (18761 views)

Cat not eating much. Hi. My cat as some allergy problems since he is allergic to turkey and corn. For the... (10375 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am nearing the end with my 12-yr old rescued German Shepherd dog. He has been a... (25853 views)