Licking feet.

Breed: American Short-haire
My cat has suddenly been licking her back paws consistently and thumping them against the floor in a very fast, repeating manner. This started yesterday. She eventually stopped but today she's doing again and is now hiding under the bed. She doesn't want to come out so that I can check on her paws. Not even to eat unless I bring the bowl next to the bed. Yesterday her paws seemed fine. I wanted to take her to the vet but the earliest appointment available is Saturday. Any advice you can give? She recently had a check up and she's apparently in very good shape for her age.

I have to say that these are really odd symptoms. I don't think I have ever had a case where a cat is frantically licking and thumping their back feet.

My first thought would be whether she has stepped in something that is irritating her. Does she go outside? I wonder if she possibly stepped on something hot and has burns on the bottom of her feet? Can you see if there is anything unusual on her feet? I know that will be hard to check if she won't let you examine her.

There really isn't a medical condition that I can think of that would cause these symptoms. There are some arthritis conditions that can cause pain in the back legs but they wouldn't come on so quickly.

It sounds like an exam is really needed. It is important that she continues to eat. So, if she will eat when you bring the bowl to her then you may need to keep doing that. If her appetite decreases or if she is not making any improvement at all I'd phone the vet again and see if they can get you in earlier.

I'd love to hear what the vet says. Please do post back if you get a diagnosis.

Grade 4 heart murmur. I brought my cat to the vet because his ear was bothering him the other day. Now it... (19481 views)

Does my cat have asthma? Hello Dr. Marie, My cat is on Clindomycin for an allergy she was determined to... (13277 views)

Hungry and losing weight. Our 17 year old indoor cat, one of two from the same litter, has always been skinny,... (13846 views)

Vomiting Golden Retriever. I have a 8-year-old golden retriever that has been vomiting for the past 36 hours. ... (16989 views)

Dog eats cat poop. I've caught my dog eating out of our kitten's litter box twice in the past two days.... (16995 views)

Itchy dog. I had noticed the oldest one of my dogs, Chloe, chewing and itching a little more... (49076 views)

Bumpy skin on back. My cat BonBon has a significant amount of dry, bumpy, itchy, red skin on her back... (12935 views)

Ear swollen like balloon. My dog has a large swelling on her ear that looks like a balloon. She is shaking... (29246 views)

Bald spot on hamster. My dwarf hamster has a rather large bald spot above her left front leg. I noticed... (31143 views)

Fearful Sheltie. my dog is very nervous of new people and places. she is very nervous and can't focus... (10478 views)