Epsom salt vs table salt.

Breed: tabby cat
hi my cat keeps limping on his leg i have checked it and it isnt his leg thats the problem he has a swollen paw i have heard soaking the paw in epsom salt and water with soothe it i was just wondering can i use table salt instead as i dont have epsom salt thanks

Sorry to hear about your cat. The whole idea of soaking in epsom salts is in case there is a wound somewhere in the foot. For example, if a another cat has bitten or scratched him. Epsom salt soaks will help to clean an infected wound and to soothe inflamed tissue. They're usually not enough on their own though. If there is an infection, then antibiotics are needed as well.

To answer your question though, Epsom salts are definitely NOT the same as regular salt. Do not soak a wound in regular salt or salt water. There is a reason why there is an expression that says someone is "pouring salt in a wound". It is painful!

If this keeps up, I would definitely recommend a vet visit as soon as possible.

Duck jerky making dogs sick? If chicken strips (jerky) might be a problem, what about duck? I have bags of both... (6407 views)

Paralyzed chihuahua My dog is just laying here stiff in the rear but wont move anything but his head. He... (9706 views)

Wheezing, sneezing kitten. my kitten is 3 and a half months old recently she has been sleeping a whole lot and... (11482 views)

Older dog liver problems. We gave a 13 year old Maltese. He has had liver shunts and since he was 3 months we... (11309 views)

Trouble swallowing. My 6-year-old shepherd developed a major mucus production problem in the last month.... (13466 views)

Gave meds to early. Hi Dr. Marie, We are away from home this weekend and our pet sitter came early... (9949 views)

Should I withhold water? My zoe has just beem dignosed with diabetes we just brought her home today and we r... (9371 views)

Occult blood in urine. Hi Dr. Marie This is in regard to Oreo, I dont know if you recall our situation... (10266 views)

Guinea pig losing teeth. its mouth is sore and can only chew mashed up food its loosing his teeth to its not... (8531 views)

Cancer in ear. Cat died. I recently put our beloved cat Benny to sleep after a tragic event that I am... (10760 views)