Epsom salt vs table salt.

Breed: tabby cat
hi my cat keeps limping on his leg i have checked it and it isnt his leg thats the problem he has a swollen paw i have heard soaking the paw in epsom salt and water with soothe it i was just wondering can i use table salt instead as i dont have epsom salt thanks

Sorry to hear about your cat. The whole idea of soaking in epsom salts is in case there is a wound somewhere in the foot. For example, if a another cat has bitten or scratched him. Epsom salt soaks will help to clean an infected wound and to soothe inflamed tissue. They're usually not enough on their own though. If there is an infection, then antibiotics are needed as well.

To answer your question though, Epsom salts are definitely NOT the same as regular salt. Do not soak a wound in regular salt or salt water. There is a reason why there is an expression that says someone is "pouring salt in a wound". It is painful!

If this keeps up, I would definitely recommend a vet visit as soon as possible.

Is this a chest tumor? Hello. My active, normal weight and wonderful female Siamese began coughing... (11143 views)

Lethargic after dentistry. Our 3 year old Sheltie was at our local vet yesterday for some shots and to get his... (34347 views)

Intestinal lymphoma. Hello Dr. Marie Our Jack Russell/Pug mixed breed dog Charlie is 6 yrs old and has... (16364 views)

Double dose Metacam. We accidently gave our dog two doses of metacam. He is 80 pounds. We give him 1.5... (47992 views)

Robaxin and Metacam. Rocky has been having back pain for over a week now. He's had this problem before... (18329 views)

mycoplasma felis respiratory infection Hi. I asked you a question previously about Indigo and I'd really like your... (34504 views)

Dog urinates while walking Recently, I have noticed that my dog will walk along urinating. It seems to me that... (33992 views)

Carrots and nuts safe for dogs? Is it safe to feed her carrots or nuts of any kind? We have just been feeding them... (12996 views)

Dog died after injections. Our 12 yo 12 lb healthy mini dachsund fell off our bed in the middle of the night.... (5885 views)

Rat bleeding from eye. It started about 4-5 weeks ago when I noticed my girl was bleeding from her eye and... (20018 views)