Epsom salt vs table salt.

Breed: tabby cat
hi my cat keeps limping on his leg i have checked it and it isnt his leg thats the problem he has a swollen paw i have heard soaking the paw in epsom salt and water with soothe it i was just wondering can i use table salt instead as i dont have epsom salt thanks

Sorry to hear about your cat. The whole idea of soaking in epsom salts is in case there is a wound somewhere in the foot. For example, if a another cat has bitten or scratched him. Epsom salt soaks will help to clean an infected wound and to soothe inflamed tissue. They're usually not enough on their own though. If there is an infection, then antibiotics are needed as well.

To answer your question though, Epsom salts are definitely NOT the same as regular salt. Do not soak a wound in regular salt or salt water. There is a reason why there is an expression that says someone is "pouring salt in a wound". It is painful!

If this keeps up, I would definitely recommend a vet visit as soon as possible.

Very itchy dog. My sweet Molly has a skin infection my recent visit to the vet diagnosed it as... (6164 views)

Golden with itchy abdomen. Hello My dog Henri has been constantly licking and chewing his underside inside... (35785 views)

Lance abscess? My dog was was in a fight with my roomates dog. He healed up and was himself a few... (13478 views)

Cat is killing lizards. My cat keeps killing lizards that come inside the house. I have tryed spraying water... (16518 views)

Missed vaccines. My dog is approximatley 4 years old and hasnt had any injections since she was... (6312 views)

Meibomian gland adenoma questions. Hello Dr. Marie, What is the typical procedure to removal meibomian gland... (16959 views)

Profender and pregnant women. Hi there Dr. Marie This isn't a direct question about an animal but I'm wondering... (10043 views)

Sugar is second ingredient. I ordered dog food online two days ago and just now realized the second ingredient... (5571 views)

Stuck together - pregnant? Please help, my two dogs were stuck together today,I think she's pregnant. I'm... (14973 views)

Wound on cat's paw. When I got my cat 3yrs ago he had frostbite on his front pads, they healed good. a... (7221 views)