Epsom salt vs table salt.

Breed: tabby cat
hi my cat keeps limping on his leg i have checked it and it isnt his leg thats the problem he has a swollen paw i have heard soaking the paw in epsom salt and water with soothe it i was just wondering can i use table salt instead as i dont have epsom salt thanks

Sorry to hear about your cat. The whole idea of soaking in epsom salts is in case there is a wound somewhere in the foot. For example, if a another cat has bitten or scratched him. Epsom salt soaks will help to clean an infected wound and to soothe inflamed tissue. They're usually not enough on their own though. If there is an infection, then antibiotics are needed as well.

To answer your question though, Epsom salts are definitely NOT the same as regular salt. Do not soak a wound in regular salt or salt water. There is a reason why there is an expression that says someone is "pouring salt in a wound". It is painful!

If this keeps up, I would definitely recommend a vet visit as soon as possible.

Getting a second dog. We have allowed Kiba (our dog) to sleep in our room at night as when we first got... (7887 views)

Sore dachshund My dog Mya has been shaking and is nervous and sensitive around her stomache area. I... (8211 views)

Did I make the right decision? Hello, I guess my question isn't so much of a question but more of a plea for... (42529 views)

Pain in nose and snout. Well, my dog Minnie hasn't been herself lately. The problem is that if I touch her... (30504 views)

Lump on dog's head. Within a week or two I noticed a bump on Badger's head (about center back behind... (31912 views)

Dog has itchy lumps my dog has lumps on her body and are a bit... (11665 views)

Does dog saliva heal a wound? Is there any truth to the old wive's tale that when your dog instinctlively licks a... (7977 views)

Dog can't move tail. My dog's tail is bent at the base and it is almost as if she can't move it. It seems... (11419 views)

Side effects of Trilostane. Buddy was diagnosed with Cushings Disease about 5 weeks ago. He had extensive blood... (15661 views)

Stuck together - pregnant? Please help, my two dogs were stuck together today,I think she's pregnant. I'm... (13302 views)