Epsom salt vs table salt.

Breed: tabby cat
hi my cat keeps limping on his leg i have checked it and it isnt his leg thats the problem he has a swollen paw i have heard soaking the paw in epsom salt and water with soothe it i was just wondering can i use table salt instead as i dont have epsom salt thanks

Sorry to hear about your cat. The whole idea of soaking in epsom salts is in case there is a wound somewhere in the foot. For example, if a another cat has bitten or scratched him. Epsom salt soaks will help to clean an infected wound and to soothe inflamed tissue. They're usually not enough on their own though. If there is an infection, then antibiotics are needed as well.

To answer your question though, Epsom salts are definitely NOT the same as regular salt. Do not soak a wound in regular salt or salt water. There is a reason why there is an expression that says someone is "pouring salt in a wound". It is painful!

If this keeps up, I would definitely recommend a vet visit as soon as possible.

Toenail problems. We adopted Tiger (62lb what appears to be shepard/boxer mix) in May and about a... (7857 views)

Licking foot. In April 2010, I took my 8 year old collie for his yearly shots. About a week later,... (8482 views)

Chicken fillets by Beefeaters. Dear Dr. Marie, I have a 10 y.o. Black and Tan Coonhound and he just loves... (13136 views)

Eating grass and vomiting. Bleu has always been a resilient dog with now health problems, but over the last... (18926 views)

Grade 4 heart murmur. Today I had went to a new vet with my 8 year old Cocker Spaniel, and while the vet... (11539 views)

Cat with bone cancer. When I came home on 4th of JUly Toesy (inside cat)was limping and not using front... (12284 views)

Can't move back legs. I hope you reply quick my dog is dragging both of his back legs he cant stand up but... (19965 views)

Itchy spot on thigh. my dog has started scratching his inner hind leg on one side and he licked and... (5230 views)

Sore shoulder. My cat just came home yesterday with a mild limp (indoor-outdoor cat)He whines a... (15826 views)

Red dots on dog's abdomen. Hello. My dog Biscuit has been having red dots like skin under his abdominal. It... (5407 views)