Epsom salt vs table salt.

Breed: tabby cat
hi my cat keeps limping on his leg i have checked it and it isnt his leg thats the problem he has a swollen paw i have heard soaking the paw in epsom salt and water with soothe it i was just wondering can i use table salt instead as i dont have epsom salt thanks

Sorry to hear about your cat. The whole idea of soaking in epsom salts is in case there is a wound somewhere in the foot. For example, if a another cat has bitten or scratched him. Epsom salt soaks will help to clean an infected wound and to soothe inflamed tissue. They're usually not enough on their own though. If there is an infection, then antibiotics are needed as well.

To answer your question though, Epsom salts are definitely NOT the same as regular salt. Do not soak a wound in regular salt or salt water. There is a reason why there is an expression that says someone is "pouring salt in a wound". It is painful!

If this keeps up, I would definitely recommend a vet visit as soon as possible.

Cat pooping on floor. My cat doesn't poop in her litter box, so I put down rugs near her litter box and... (13514 views)

Vomiting yellow liquid. Maynard has been vomiting up yellowish urine colored liquid a few time in the last... (10848 views)

Constipated cat. my cat is constapated is there a laxative for cats what can i do for him to help him... (7978 views)

Lung problem in dog. Our cuddly Walter had "kennel cough" several times throughout his life (about 5),... (8781 views)

Foot problem and congestion. My 10 year old dog max just finished taking cephalexin for a foot infection and has... (11123 views)

Dog not urinating after neuter. Hi dr just wondering if you could help me. My 1year old American Akita diesel had... (65432 views)

Diethylene glycol in chicken jerky. Do you know of any of the Chicken Jerky do treats that are made in China, has been... (7438 views)

Severe skin problems. My dog Leila started licking on 8/1/12. Her spots looked like hot spots on elbows... (8981 views)

Chin acne in a dog. My 1 year old cane corso keeps getting bumps on his chin similar to acne or zits. I... (16677 views)

Poodle with leg problems. My dog is a small size poodle. she is now 2 years old when she turned 1 she started... (10889 views)