Epsom salt vs table salt.

Breed: tabby cat
hi my cat keeps limping on his leg i have checked it and it isnt his leg thats the problem he has a swollen paw i have heard soaking the paw in epsom salt and water with soothe it i was just wondering can i use table salt instead as i dont have epsom salt thanks

Sorry to hear about your cat. The whole idea of soaking in epsom salts is in case there is a wound somewhere in the foot. For example, if a another cat has bitten or scratched him. Epsom salt soaks will help to clean an infected wound and to soothe inflamed tissue. They're usually not enough on their own though. If there is an infection, then antibiotics are needed as well.

To answer your question though, Epsom salts are definitely NOT the same as regular salt. Do not soak a wound in regular salt or salt water. There is a reason why there is an expression that says someone is "pouring salt in a wound". It is painful!

If this keeps up, I would definitely recommend a vet visit as soon as possible.

Cause of death? Hi Dr. Marie, I\'m sorry that I can\'t afford to pay for an answer, but your... (4871 views)

Gunky eyes in kittens. Hello, We have four newborn kittens--19 days old. One died 2 days ago--we... (8811 views)

Grade 4 heart murmur. Today I had went to a new vet with my 8 year old Cocker Spaniel, and while the vet... (9662 views)

Questions about cryptosporidium. Vet told me dog has cryptosporidium She had diarrehea and vomit but lasted 24 hours... (18221 views)

Bleeding after whelping. My female dog is now bleeding again 8 weeks after having her pups. Now I know she's... (75487 views)

Eyes rolled back in head. About 3 months ago, Bruce's eyes rolled back in his head and become very blood shot.... (41381 views)

How often is a dog in heat? My dog started her first heat yesterday. I know not to breed her now she is not... (4203 views)

Rimadyl and liver problems. Hi Dr. Marie Last night my dog sustained some type of injury to himself while... (7239 views)

Did laundry soap cause seizures? two week ago my dog was covered in Laundry Detergent. My had it everywhere, even... (9523 views)

Vaccine squirted onto skin. OK... I have a Maltese and yorkie that I was giving their second vaccine 5 in 1, and... (20990 views)