Parvo recovery.

Breed: german shorthair
I'M LOOKING AT A PUP THAT IS RECOVERING FROM PARVO.
WHAT IS THE RECOVERY TIME AND ARE THERE ANY LONG TERM LASTING EFFECTS FROM THE VIRUS?

I'm glad to hear that your pup is recovering from parvo.

Once we have stopped the vomiting and diarrhea then most dogs are back to normal within days.

A good sign of how the pup is doing is how well he or she is eating. If the pup is eating well and there is no vomiting or diarrhea then we can consider the disease beaten.

If the dog is not eating well then it may be that there was severe damage done to the intestines. However, if this was the case then you would still be seeing diarrhea.

Once a dog recovers from parvo there should not be any lasting effects of the virus.

The virus can live in the environment for several months or even years if the conditions are right so be sure to bleach any areas that you can where the pup may have had diarrhea.

I hope things continue to go well!

Dog biting at tail. I just noticed earlier today Sept. 29th that my Husky has chunks of hair missing... (32544 views)

Rat with red tears and increased thirst. I have a pet rat, almost 1. Shes been healthy her whole life, just had this weird... (9546 views)

Bloody diarrhea in small dog. I recently purchased a new Maltese puppy. When we brought him home he had some... (15793 views)

Sick Golden Dr., I try to keep this short: My kids golden, 7+ years old, got lyme like 3... (6676 views)

Heart disease or cancer? Lazarus is still fighting. I appreciated that you understood my humor on the last... (4581 views)

Cat with megacolon. My 12-year old cat was diagnosed with megacolon about five years ago. When he looks... (6728 views)

White blisters in cat's ears. My cat has a number of small white "blisters" on her ears. She repeatedly scratches... (8117 views)

How many vaccines for a puppy? Hi Dr. Marie, Codee was given 5in1 parovirus 2 shots. Is it true that it should... (4316 views)

Quiet, sneezing dog. My Choc Lab is acting very listless, sneezing constantly, her nose is cold, is still... (21733 views)

Wound on cat's paw. When I got my cat 3yrs ago he had frostbite on his front pads, they healed good. a... (5570 views)