Parvo recovery.

Breed: german shorthair
I'M LOOKING AT A PUP THAT IS RECOVERING FROM PARVO.
WHAT IS THE RECOVERY TIME AND ARE THERE ANY LONG TERM LASTING EFFECTS FROM THE VIRUS?

I'm glad to hear that your pup is recovering from parvo.

Once we have stopped the vomiting and diarrhea then most dogs are back to normal within days.

A good sign of how the pup is doing is how well he or she is eating. If the pup is eating well and there is no vomiting or diarrhea then we can consider the disease beaten.

If the dog is not eating well then it may be that there was severe damage done to the intestines. However, if this was the case then you would still be seeing diarrhea.

Once a dog recovers from parvo there should not be any lasting effects of the virus.

The virus can live in the environment for several months or even years if the conditions are right so be sure to bleach any areas that you can where the pup may have had diarrhea.

I hope things continue to go well!

Dog eats grapes. Hi. I live in rural Peru and have three dogs. I am writing regarding the oldest who... (5494 views)

Diarrhea and large abdomen. My 5 yr old DSH has been acting weird for the last 2 days. He had foamy,watery... (9079 views)

Saddle thrombus in a dog. In a dog, once a blood clot has broken off and is considered a saddle thrombus, how... (7478 views)

Possible laryngeal paralysis? Repeat Customer: Hi Dr, I spoke to you last Friday (through email) week... (15761 views)

Spay older dog? Hi Vet My dog is 9 years old & has never been mated. She is healthy & does not have... (9449 views)

Dog afraid of dogs and people. hello i have a 7 month old puppy and every time she comes into cintact with another... (8221 views)

what kind of dog to get Hi Please help! I want to get my Golden Retriever (male) a friend, but not... (6154 views)

Biting at cysts. I have a 13 yr old cocker who has a lot of fatty cysts, she has had them for several... (8299 views)

Intestinal lymphoma. Hello Dr. Marie Our Jack Russell/Pug mixed breed dog Charlie is 6 yrs old and has... (15758 views)

Cat having trouble urinating. I have a cat, a very lively talkative cat, who is displaying health problems. She... (6855 views)