Parvo recovery.

Breed: german shorthair
I'M LOOKING AT A PUP THAT IS RECOVERING FROM PARVO.
WHAT IS THE RECOVERY TIME AND ARE THERE ANY LONG TERM LASTING EFFECTS FROM THE VIRUS?

I'm glad to hear that your pup is recovering from parvo.

Once we have stopped the vomiting and diarrhea then most dogs are back to normal within days.

A good sign of how the pup is doing is how well he or she is eating. If the pup is eating well and there is no vomiting or diarrhea then we can consider the disease beaten.

If the dog is not eating well then it may be that there was severe damage done to the intestines. However, if this was the case then you would still be seeing diarrhea.

Once a dog recovers from parvo there should not be any lasting effects of the virus.

The virus can live in the environment for several months or even years if the conditions are right so be sure to bleach any areas that you can where the pup may have had diarrhea.

I hope things continue to go well!

Shih Tzu is getting old. Edward is 14 years old We have noticed a couple of issues with him lately. About... (31762 views)

Golden with itchy abdomen. Hello My dog Henri has been constantly licking and chewing his underside inside... (36230 views)

Take temperature orally? My dog is recovering from pretty serious surgery. I am supposed to be taking his... (33666 views)

Orange urine in a dog. I have had Moe for two years. He is 17 years old now according to the vet. He... (9541 views)

Bumps on schnauzer. Hi Dr. Marie, Firstly, I'd like to thank you for this very valuable, yet... (36667 views)

Dog drinks every 20 minutes. I have a 10 year old chihuahua and she is drinking alot of water...she is eating... (19030 views)

Bromonidine (like amitraz) toxicity. MY DOG SWALLOWED SOME BRIMONIDINE TARTRATE OPHTHALMIC 5 ML SHE IS VERY WEAK AND... (16347 views)

How to get cat to lose weight? Cinder is about 16-18 lbs. She has a large frame for a Female, per the vet, but my... (5871 views)

Swollen eyelid. My dog had one lower eyelid swollen inside. I discover this after she had... (19840 views)

Dog is licking where he was neutered. my dog is licking where he was neutered 3 years ago help asap... (9367 views)