Can a dog transmit Hep C?

Breed: German Shepherd
Recently my nephew was bitten by a k-9 dog in a mistaken identity situation. My nephew has now been diagnosed with Hep C. Is it possible that this police dog could've bitten someone with the Hep C virus and then transmitted this to my nephew and could the dog be at risk and should I mention this the police department to have the dog checked. Thanks for your help.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that these things are happening.

It is extremely unlikely, actually almost impossible, that the Hep C was transmitted to your nephew by the dog who bit him.

While dogs can get a disease called hepatitis this is totally different than the type of hepatitis that people get.

Hepatitis is not contagious from dogs to people or from people to dogs.

In theory, if a dog bit a person with Hep C and had fresh blood from that person in his mouth and then immediately bit another person then the spread of the fresh blood (from the person, not from the dog) could spread hepatitis C.

I hope this answers your question and I hope your nephew is ok!

Dog's baby teeth not out. Hi Dr Marie, Happy Holidays to you. I have a question. I don't think this is a... (13063 views)

Foot problem and congestion. My 10 year old dog max just finished taking cephalexin for a foot infection and has... (7449 views)

Is FHO a good idea? my 11 year old 35kg male dog suffers from severe hip displasia & pain relief... (13117 views)

Canine herpes on vulva. Hi there, One of my girls was bred on April 2, natural tie observed. This is her... (21933 views)

Recipe for skunk odor. My cat got sprayed by a skunk. What do you recomend to get rid of the... (9472 views)

Cat can't pee. Cat can't pee. Licking himself and yowling when tries to... (11481 views)

Lumps on dog's nose. Do you know what these bumps count be? He also has a bald spot under his eye. He is... (59474 views)

Trouble walking. On Wednesday evening we called our dogs for dinnertime, and our 10 year old Alaskan... (16918 views)

Itchy dog. My question is long because I have to give all the background data. On May 10, 2011... (20211 views)

Dog is walking funny, I have a 14 year old dog. About a year ago he lost most of his hearing. About 2... (45084 views)