Can a dog transmit Hep C?

Breed: German Shepherd
Recently my nephew was bitten by a k-9 dog in a mistaken identity situation. My nephew has now been diagnosed with Hep C. Is it possible that this police dog could've bitten someone with the Hep C virus and then transmitted this to my nephew and could the dog be at risk and should I mention this the police department to have the dog checked. Thanks for your help.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that these things are happening.

It is extremely unlikely, actually almost impossible, that the Hep C was transmitted to your nephew by the dog who bit him.

While dogs can get a disease called hepatitis this is totally different than the type of hepatitis that people get.

Hepatitis is not contagious from dogs to people or from people to dogs.

In theory, if a dog bit a person with Hep C and had fresh blood from that person in his mouth and then immediately bit another person then the spread of the fresh blood (from the person, not from the dog) could spread hepatitis C.

I hope this answers your question and I hope your nephew is ok!

Spots all over body. Hi My staffordshire bull terrier has little spots all over his body almost like... (12523 views)

Dog ate battery fluid. My dog chewed up a AA battery. It doesn't appear that she ingested any pieces of it... (15875 views)

Diabetic cat problems. ivay is a diabetic last blood test 3 weeks ago was 21 he has gained 5 lbs since jan... (4642 views)

Puppy doesn't want to eat. It has been over a week since my Sheltie has lost her appetite. She hardly touches... (9462 views)

Hip Arthritis. Euthanasia? Hi Myself and my boyfriend have a complicated problem with no good answer. Our 9... (13628 views)

Chin acne in cats. He's been on a cleansing agent and anti-biotic/steroid for 5 of 7 days for his acne... (6684 views)

Fly biting seizures. At night with the lights on, Misha snaps at the air as if she's catching flies.... (17935 views)

13 year old cat losing weight. I have a 13 yr old male cat that has gradually started to lose weight. He has had... (8977 views)

Older cat with congestion. First, thank u for your input on my cami that past on previous question.my husband... (4973 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My dog has been excessively sneezing for over a year now. She has had no respiratory... (19879 views)