Can a dog transmit Hep C?

Breed: German Shepherd
Recently my nephew was bitten by a k-9 dog in a mistaken identity situation. My nephew has now been diagnosed with Hep C. Is it possible that this police dog could've bitten someone with the Hep C virus and then transmitted this to my nephew and could the dog be at risk and should I mention this the police department to have the dog checked. Thanks for your help.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that these things are happening.

It is extremely unlikely, actually almost impossible, that the Hep C was transmitted to your nephew by the dog who bit him.

While dogs can get a disease called hepatitis this is totally different than the type of hepatitis that people get.

Hepatitis is not contagious from dogs to people or from people to dogs.

In theory, if a dog bit a person with Hep C and had fresh blood from that person in his mouth and then immediately bit another person then the spread of the fresh blood (from the person, not from the dog) could spread hepatitis C.

I hope this answers your question and I hope your nephew is ok!

Connection between dandruff and diabetes? My pet has recently been diagnosed with Diabetes. She is on 5 units of insulin 2x... (15006 views)

Mast Cell tumor? This past Saturday afternoon I was petting my dog and I noticed a small bump under... (21855 views)

Cat died suddenly. 10-11-2010 Dear Dr Marie, almost exactly similar to the post:... (23275 views)

Sneezing cat. My cat keeps sneezing and sometimes has watery eyes. It started today and. I googled... (19874 views)

How to help constipated cat. Our 10 year old cat is constipated. How can we help her? She tried to use the catbox... (5401 views)

Sensitive tail and belly. My cat was spayed almost 5 months ago, and I've noticed since then, that she does... (4361 views)

Can an older cat be groomed? I have been getting Lily groomed twice a year since she was 1. She is getting older... (4621 views)

Cat is killing lizards. My cat keeps killing lizards that come inside the house. I have tryed spraying water... (14287 views)

Pregnant 10 month old dog. my mini doberman is 10 months and shes pregnant can she die? and how many dogs can... (12893 views)

Yellow fluid from nose. Dr. Marie, My male pug, aged 10, stuck with a piece of apple last night (29/1), I... (5881 views)