Can a dog transmit Hep C?

Breed: German Shepherd
Recently my nephew was bitten by a k-9 dog in a mistaken identity situation. My nephew has now been diagnosed with Hep C. Is it possible that this police dog could've bitten someone with the Hep C virus and then transmitted this to my nephew and could the dog be at risk and should I mention this the police department to have the dog checked. Thanks for your help.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that these things are happening.

It is extremely unlikely, actually almost impossible, that the Hep C was transmitted to your nephew by the dog who bit him.

While dogs can get a disease called hepatitis this is totally different than the type of hepatitis that people get.

Hepatitis is not contagious from dogs to people or from people to dogs.

In theory, if a dog bit a person with Hep C and had fresh blood from that person in his mouth and then immediately bit another person then the spread of the fresh blood (from the person, not from the dog) could spread hepatitis C.

I hope this answers your question and I hope your nephew is ok!

Tough upper respiratory infection. We picked up Indigo from a breeder on June 13th. He sneezed occasionally throughout... (29367 views)

Cancer in lungs? Josie has had a persistent cough for over a year, so I took her to my vet for a... (7137 views)

IVDD in dog. My dog Basil woke up this morning and would not jump off of the bed, go down steps,... (14091 views)

Immodium overdose? I may have overdosed my chihuahua on immodium ad yesterday. I gave her a humans dose... (26818 views)

Paralyzed back legs. about a day ago,my dog stop using his bottom part of is body,like she paralyzed,and... (12759 views)

Beagle Pain Syndrome? My 10 year old beagle in November had an ear infection that caused him to develop... (21575 views)

Luxating patella. hello....my boston terrier(chelsea) just turned 12 months...for the past week i... (16170 views)

Black bumps in cat's ear. My friend has 3 cats (all unrelated) out of her 6 cats, that all have melanoma's in... (68027 views)

Where is dog's vulva? My husband resqued a blue tick in the National Forest that was being chased by 2... (58860 views)

Swollen vulva. "I have a female Rat Terrier who is 6 months old and I was wondering if its normal... (34914 views)