Run over by car.

Breed: part pomeranian
we have a small part pomeranian dog, she old, but not sure how old. she was abandoned by her owners and took in by my grandma, who gave her to us. so we dont have a lot of background on her, but she is old. the other night while crossing the neighbors driveway to get the treats left out for her, another neighbor hit her. having trouble finding a vet that will take her in, all suggest emergency care places that are far away and cost way more than i can afford just to walk in. she is eating and peeing, but hasnt had a bowel movement since the night before new years eve. she tries to walk, but has trouble staying up, like her back legs arent holding her weight. the only visible mark from the accident was a broken toe nail. thought only back paw and tail were run over, but not seeing any breaks and doesnt seem to be painful, pain when she moves her back end. the question i have is that i am willing to take her to the emergency care place, but with her situation, worried that they will just want to charge me outrageous to do xrays and such and not do anything for her. especially since she is so old. is there much that can be done? i am concerned that she damaged her lower back.

Oh dear. I am so sorry to hear about Picnic. The symptoms that you have described have me very concerned. It is possible that she has suffered serious damage to her back/spinal cord. Another possibility is that she has a fracture in her pelvis or legs. She really does need to be seen as soon as possible.

When you see the emergency vet, make it very clear that you are on a very limited budget and can only afford what is absolutely necessary.

The vet may be able to tell how serious things are by just doing a physical exam. If there is serious neurological damage affecting the back legs then this can mean that there is a serious spinal injury. Or, with a good and careful exam of the back legs the vet may be able to determine if there is a fracture there.

An xray will likely tell you a lot more if you can afford it. You can ask the vet if it is possible for them to just take a single view. What this means is that they will just take one xray. It is not as good as taking multiple views but there is a good chance that you will get your answer as to whether there is a fracture.

There are some pelvis fractures that can heal with good pain medication and rest. But if there is a more serious fracture then you may need to consider euthanasia.

There really is no over the counter medicine that is safe and effective for pain in a situation like this.

I wish I could give you advice on what you can do at home but it really sounds like she needs to see a vet immediately. Waiting too long could be the difference between life and death.

If it helps at all, these resources may be handy for you: Resources to help with veterinary bills.

I hope little Picnic ends up ok!!!

When to put down older dog. I know my dog is on the way out, she has cataracts, hearing is dim, legs are shaky,... (5750 views)

Hamster biting leg Hi Iam a newbe to the whole dwaf hamster thing so I have this six week year old... (13112 views)

Lab with a cough. Two days ago, my chocolate lab starting coughing and dry heaving occasionally when... (47102 views)

Cat howls at night time. Hi - Rusty is almost 15 yrs. and meows and howls at night. Basically, he throws a... (20201 views)

Why did my puppy die? Hello, I'm in the UK and I hope you can give me some idea as to why my seemingly... (10820 views)

Tramadol not working. He is on Tramodol 50 mg 3x a day plus 80lbs of Metacam for Arthritis. He was put on... (14499 views)

Itchy ears and bum. My dog keeps scratching at her ears and shakes her head a lot. I clean her ears and... (14276 views)

Gave meds to early. Hi Dr. Marie, We are away from home this weekend and our pet sitter came early... (9703 views)

Helicobacter in ferrets. HI! I read your response regarding the ferret who was not eating, vomiting, lying in... (14168 views)

Grade 5 heart murmur in kitten. I raise and show Devon Rexes. I have a litter of 6 kittens that were 8 weeks old... (9012 views)