Run over by car.

Breed: part pomeranian
we have a small part pomeranian dog, she old, but not sure how old. she was abandoned by her owners and took in by my grandma, who gave her to us. so we dont have a lot of background on her, but she is old. the other night while crossing the neighbors driveway to get the treats left out for her, another neighbor hit her. having trouble finding a vet that will take her in, all suggest emergency care places that are far away and cost way more than i can afford just to walk in. she is eating and peeing, but hasnt had a bowel movement since the night before new years eve. she tries to walk, but has trouble staying up, like her back legs arent holding her weight. the only visible mark from the accident was a broken toe nail. thought only back paw and tail were run over, but not seeing any breaks and doesnt seem to be painful, pain when she moves her back end. the question i have is that i am willing to take her to the emergency care place, but with her situation, worried that they will just want to charge me outrageous to do xrays and such and not do anything for her. especially since she is so old. is there much that can be done? i am concerned that she damaged her lower back.

Oh dear. I am so sorry to hear about Picnic. The symptoms that you have described have me very concerned. It is possible that she has suffered serious damage to her back/spinal cord. Another possibility is that she has a fracture in her pelvis or legs. She really does need to be seen as soon as possible.

When you see the emergency vet, make it very clear that you are on a very limited budget and can only afford what is absolutely necessary.

The vet may be able to tell how serious things are by just doing a physical exam. If there is serious neurological damage affecting the back legs then this can mean that there is a serious spinal injury. Or, with a good and careful exam of the back legs the vet may be able to determine if there is a fracture there.

An xray will likely tell you a lot more if you can afford it. You can ask the vet if it is possible for them to just take a single view. What this means is that they will just take one xray. It is not as good as taking multiple views but there is a good chance that you will get your answer as to whether there is a fracture.

There are some pelvis fractures that can heal with good pain medication and rest. But if there is a more serious fracture then you may need to consider euthanasia.

There really is no over the counter medicine that is safe and effective for pain in a situation like this.

I wish I could give you advice on what you can do at home but it really sounds like she needs to see a vet immediately. Waiting too long could be the difference between life and death.

If it helps at all, these resources may be handy for you: Resources to help with veterinary bills.

I hope little Picnic ends up ok!!!

Shaking after grooming. Millie is an otherwise healthy 8 year old Bijon Poo. Don't know if this is related,... (37945 views)

Kitten was hit by a car. Hello. I would really appreciate if you could help with this situation. My kitten... (9505 views)

Blind, deaf and no sense of smell. Jack was diagnosed as hyperthyroid in February and has been on methimazole since... (6659 views)

Puppy with diarrhea. Hi, My puppy won't eat and has a soft mushy stool. I just got him Yesterday. Could... (8021 views)

Does Prozac cause diarrhea in dogs? I want to know if continuing diarrhea is a possible side effect of prozac. My dog... (22193 views)

Dog died after injections. Our 12 yo 12 lb healthy mini dachsund fell off our bed in the middle of the night.... (5338 views)

Hind end paralysis. I put my beautiful, loyal companion to sleep on Christmas day. The guilt is... (7777 views)

Facial lymph nodes on a dog. My puppy has a lump under each eye. Almost like a gland. I have no clue, maybe tumor... (22119 views)

Rat with red tears and increased thirst. I have a pet rat, almost 1. Shes been healthy her whole life, just had this weird... (9448 views)

Dog coughing again. Dear Dr. Marie Im concerned about my dog he started about a month ago sounding... (7855 views)