Possible asthma

Breed: Domestic Long Hair
My 7 year old cat has always had frequent hairballs. I have always suspected he had digestive issues since his fur has always been more dull than his brother's. He also doesn't maintain a practice of grooming to the extent that my other cats do. He would get mats and then I would have him groomed (tiger cut) once a year.

Since he was young he would hack like he was having a hairball, but nothing would come out except (what i assume to be) bile, or a small puddle of perhaps saliva? Usually this happens a few times over the course of a day and then is sometimes followed by a hairball, but not all the time. In the past two years I noticed that this bile/saliva discharge he hacks up has pink in it -- blood. He hacks very hard to get even this bit out. I have tried Laxatone but it didnt seem to do anything. I have him on hairball reduced dry food and Wellness brand wet food. I notice that he does better on Wellness brand catfood that something like Friskies (which is not so great). He experiences the least amount of this non-hairball spit-up when he eats pure meat (ie. tuna, chicken), however this is costly. My question is, is there something more serious going on that should be seen by a vet, or is it an ongoing food sensitivity that I may be able to manage on my own with him? What do you recommend I do in this case? What would be the key symptoms that would make me need to bring him to the vet right away?

Thanks for your question. Although I can't give you an exact diagnosis over the internet, I can give you some good ideas as to what could be going on with Neemi.

The most common reason for a cat to cough and hack like you have described is asthma. Often people can confuse coughing with vomiting. Here is a video of a coughing cat that I found on youtube:

Asthma can be affected by Neemi being exposed to things that he is allergic to. So, if he has some mild food allergies then it's possible that when he was being fed the raw food he wasn't exposed to whatever it is that he is allergic to and this is why the coughing was better. (By the way, I'm not a fan of raw feeding. You can read why here: Are raw foods safe for cats?

Asthma can sometimes be hard to diagnose. A vet can sometimes see some hints on xrays, but it's not always obvious.

There are many different treatments. If there is just the occasional cough then I don't do much. But if we're seeing a lot of coughing, then treatment is a good idea. My guess is that the blood is because of the frequency of coughing. He may have some damage to some small blood vessels in his respiratory tract. From what you have described I think it's a good idea to have your vet take a look and see if he needs treatment.

I will often treat these cats with very small doses of prednisone (a steroid) which I usually have the owner give every other day. There are inhalers that cats tolerate well as well, but I reserve these for the really bad cases.

If you live in an area where there is a lot of heartworm, then heartworm is a possibility as well. If you are in an area that sees heartworm your vet can do a very simple blood test to determine if this is the problem.

There are other things that can cause a cat to have these symptoms, but they are not very common.

I think a visit to the doctor is a great idea!

Dog has distemper. My dog is coughing ,vomiting whatever he eats but he has appetite took him to a vet.... (8503 views)

Homeopathic treatment of FIP. Hello, My cat is verified (80% confirmed) to infect FIP(wet type). The vet told... (12639 views)

Limping kitten my kitten has started losing alot of weight and he is limping. his back left paw is... (9230 views)

Ear cartilage broken. someone has broke the cartridge in my dogs ear by rubbing them hard. what can i do... (20958 views)

Seizures and not eating. Earlier in the week Cash had a pee/poop/vomit fest in the house, unusual for him. ... (7607 views)

Possible distemper or kennel cough. I adopted Bub from the SPCA on August 13 and he was taken to the Vet on Aug 17 for... (8509 views)

Good chew toys for dogs. Hi Dr, I have a 9 month old dog who is part Golden and part Canadian beaver. He... (14201 views)

Is my cat diabetic? Ollie is consuming lots of water, and peeing a lot. There has been a marked increase... (5205 views)

Very sick puppy. Hi there So we bought a puppy from this lady a few days ago. The puppy was fine... (7487 views)

Red sores on mouth. My dog has developed sores or bubbley looking things round her mouth. They get... (13580 views)