Possible asthma

Breed: Domestic Long Hair
My 7 year old cat has always had frequent hairballs. I have always suspected he had digestive issues since his fur has always been more dull than his brother's. He also doesn't maintain a practice of grooming to the extent that my other cats do. He would get mats and then I would have him groomed (tiger cut) once a year.

Since he was young he would hack like he was having a hairball, but nothing would come out except (what i assume to be) bile, or a small puddle of perhaps saliva? Usually this happens a few times over the course of a day and then is sometimes followed by a hairball, but not all the time. In the past two years I noticed that this bile/saliva discharge he hacks up has pink in it -- blood. He hacks very hard to get even this bit out. I have tried Laxatone but it didnt seem to do anything. I have him on hairball reduced dry food and Wellness brand wet food. I notice that he does better on Wellness brand catfood that something like Friskies (which is not so great). He experiences the least amount of this non-hairball spit-up when he eats pure meat (ie. tuna, chicken), however this is costly. My question is, is there something more serious going on that should be seen by a vet, or is it an ongoing food sensitivity that I may be able to manage on my own with him? What do you recommend I do in this case? What would be the key symptoms that would make me need to bring him to the vet right away?

Thanks for your question. Although I can't give you an exact diagnosis over the internet, I can give you some good ideas as to what could be going on with Neemi.

The most common reason for a cat to cough and hack like you have described is asthma. Often people can confuse coughing with vomiting. Here is a video of a coughing cat that I found on youtube:

Asthma can be affected by Neemi being exposed to things that he is allergic to. So, if he has some mild food allergies then it's possible that when he was being fed the raw food he wasn't exposed to whatever it is that he is allergic to and this is why the coughing was better. (By the way, I'm not a fan of raw feeding. You can read why here: Are raw foods safe for cats?

Asthma can sometimes be hard to diagnose. A vet can sometimes see some hints on xrays, but it's not always obvious.

There are many different treatments. If there is just the occasional cough then I don't do much. But if we're seeing a lot of coughing, then treatment is a good idea. My guess is that the blood is because of the frequency of coughing. He may have some damage to some small blood vessels in his respiratory tract. From what you have described I think it's a good idea to have your vet take a look and see if he needs treatment.

I will often treat these cats with very small doses of prednisone (a steroid) which I usually have the owner give every other day. There are inhalers that cats tolerate well as well, but I reserve these for the really bad cases.

If you live in an area where there is a lot of heartworm, then heartworm is a possibility as well. If you are in an area that sees heartworm your vet can do a very simple blood test to determine if this is the problem.

There are other things that can cause a cat to have these symptoms, but they are not very common.

I think a visit to the doctor is a great idea!

Vomiting and diarrhea. I have a 4mo old kitten who has had diarrhea 2 days and threw up last night. No... (5369 views)

Zodiac safe? Is Zodiac Spot Treatment safe to use on my small dog and... (9359 views)

Worn footpads. Hi, Dr. Marie: I'm writing to ask you how to treat sore, blistered paws. I pushed... (5802 views)

Puffy cat ear. Dr. Marie, my cat Dexter has developed some type of a bump on his right ear. It's... (26781 views)

Really bad skin issues. there is a PHOTO on the Pet-Forums-UK website, on the Dog Health sub-forum under Dog... (9309 views)

Male cat has large breasts. Recently (2-3 weeks), my 8 year old male tabby cat has, what seem to be, slightly... (18915 views)

IVDD in Basset Hound? Frank has had a very hard stomach for 2.5 days now and he is not drinking much... (38598 views)

Dog urinating in the house. I really need help, i have a dog that is now one and a half years old, hes a cross... (9204 views)

Liver shunt surgery. Recently I found out that the kitten I adopted a few months ago has a Portosystemic... (7886 views)

Lethargic shih tzu My dog came home from the cottage this weekend and is acting very odd. He walks a... (23928 views)