Swelling above dog's eye.

Breed: Miniature Pinscher m
This morning I noticed redness and swelling of my dog's upper eyelid. I gave him one dose of 12.5 mg of Benadryl, (the dosage previously recommended by his vet) but this didn't seem to change anything. He isn't really scratching at the area and it doesn't seem tender to light touch. The eye itself is not draining and seems otherwise normal. There is another dog in the house as well as a kitten and the three play together a lot, so I can't rule out a scratch or other injury, though I don't see an overt cut or scratch. Any advice as to what I should do? With the holiday approaching, I'm worried a wait and see approach might land me in an emergency vet.

Sorry to hear that Kirk is having trouble with his eye. While I won't be able to tell you what is going on without actually examining Kirk, from what you are describing and from the picture that you sent me, some type of allergic reaction does sound like the most likely culprit:

swollen above dog's eye

Sometimes Benadryl may not be strong enough to bring down the swelling in an allergic reaction. But, if it is not bothering Kirk then it may be ok to just watch things for now. If there is still a significant amount of swelling there within 24 hours then I would have the vet take a look.

If the white part of the eye looks red and irritated then I would take him in right away. Any sort of scratch could be serious. But, it's not common to have swelling on the eyelid because of a scratch.

There are other types of infections or even tumors that can look like this, but they would not come up quickly like this did.

I think you will probably find that things resolve within 24 hours, but if they don't then a vet visit is in order.

Homeopathic medicine questions. My dog has had nasal congestion, runny nose, mucus from his eyes and a little from... (12642 views)

Cat peeing in house. Previously my cat would urinate or defecate on clothes/rugs if the letterbox was too... (7448 views)

Patellar luxation in big dog. Dr, For the past few days Max has had a UTI. For the past two visits my vet has... (6806 views)

Dog ate dark chocolate. Our dog is a miniature dachshund and she just (about 30 minutes ago) ate about 20 to... (13650 views)

Watery diarrhea. My cat has had consistent diarrhea and vomiting for some time. Her vet began... (5505 views)

Not eating or using litter box. about 4 or 5 days ago my cat stopped eating and using the bethroom for about 2 days.... (14364 views)

Dog is limping after back surgery. Chloe is 9yrs of age. She has been lame in her left hind leg for the past 3 yrs but... (8980 views)

Sick Golden Dr., I try to keep this short: My kids golden, 7+ years old, got lyme like 3... (6942 views)

Dog died after surgery. On Saturday evening my daughters 6 month old dog swallowed a needle which got her... (13303 views)

Famotidine for kidney disease. Coco had an ultrasound scan yesterday to confirm she has bilateral kidney cancer.... (11291 views)