Swelling above dog's eye.

Breed: Miniature Pinscher m
This morning I noticed redness and swelling of my dog's upper eyelid. I gave him one dose of 12.5 mg of Benadryl, (the dosage previously recommended by his vet) but this didn't seem to change anything. He isn't really scratching at the area and it doesn't seem tender to light touch. The eye itself is not draining and seems otherwise normal. There is another dog in the house as well as a kitten and the three play together a lot, so I can't rule out a scratch or other injury, though I don't see an overt cut or scratch. Any advice as to what I should do? With the holiday approaching, I'm worried a wait and see approach might land me in an emergency vet.

Sorry to hear that Kirk is having trouble with his eye. While I won't be able to tell you what is going on without actually examining Kirk, from what you are describing and from the picture that you sent me, some type of allergic reaction does sound like the most likely culprit:

swollen above dog's eye

Sometimes Benadryl may not be strong enough to bring down the swelling in an allergic reaction. But, if it is not bothering Kirk then it may be ok to just watch things for now. If there is still a significant amount of swelling there within 24 hours then I would have the vet take a look.

If the white part of the eye looks red and irritated then I would take him in right away. Any sort of scratch could be serious. But, it's not common to have swelling on the eyelid because of a scratch.

There are other types of infections or even tumors that can look like this, but they would not come up quickly like this did.

I think you will probably find that things resolve within 24 hours, but if they don't then a vet visit is in order.

Constipation or megacolon? We having been treating sassy for constipation issues for almost 3 yrs with 1.5... (4578 views)

Red bubble in corner of eye. My dog has a red membrane sticking out from the corner of his eye - kind of like a... (22066 views)

Can dogs get chlamydia? I recently found out that i had Chlamydia, my dog hank has a bad habit of getting... (35552 views)

Can't close mouth. Hi! My cat is 21 years old. Just recently its like his lower jaw has shifted to the... (10781 views)

Cat died after surgery. my 4yr old cat had a puncture wound to the abdomen. 2 vets evaluated him. Gave him... (8136 views)

Betadine on spay incision? My dog was spayed 3 days ago and I'm worried about the incision becoming infected.... (10659 views)

Do dogs get gonorrhea? Hi Dr. Marie, I just got diagnosed with gonorrhea, which is devastating to me. I... (38021 views)

Repair hernia now? My pitbull puppy has an umbilical hernia, about the size of a half dollar. She shows... (6164 views)

Aural Hematoma my 12 yr old italian greyhound's ear is puffy. not the inner ear but the ear itself.... (9857 views)

Lepto from mice? I live in New York City, in an apartment. Two days ago, I left Honey's food out on... (13676 views)