Swelling above dog's eye.

Breed: Miniature Pinscher m
This morning I noticed redness and swelling of my dog's upper eyelid. I gave him one dose of 12.5 mg of Benadryl, (the dosage previously recommended by his vet) but this didn't seem to change anything. He isn't really scratching at the area and it doesn't seem tender to light touch. The eye itself is not draining and seems otherwise normal. There is another dog in the house as well as a kitten and the three play together a lot, so I can't rule out a scratch or other injury, though I don't see an overt cut or scratch. Any advice as to what I should do? With the holiday approaching, I'm worried a wait and see approach might land me in an emergency vet.

Sorry to hear that Kirk is having trouble with his eye. While I won't be able to tell you what is going on without actually examining Kirk, from what you are describing and from the picture that you sent me, some type of allergic reaction does sound like the most likely culprit:

swollen above dog's eye

Sometimes Benadryl may not be strong enough to bring down the swelling in an allergic reaction. But, if it is not bothering Kirk then it may be ok to just watch things for now. If there is still a significant amount of swelling there within 24 hours then I would have the vet take a look.

If the white part of the eye looks red and irritated then I would take him in right away. Any sort of scratch could be serious. But, it's not common to have swelling on the eyelid because of a scratch.

There are other types of infections or even tumors that can look like this, but they would not come up quickly like this did.

I think you will probably find that things resolve within 24 hours, but if they don't then a vet visit is in order.

Dog scared of people. Hi My dog is very scared of people. she is a year old and has been scared of new... (10384 views)

Pink growths on chest of dog. Sometime in the past 4 weeks my dog has developed small string like pink growths on... (14664 views)

Milk coming out of squirrel's nose. I have an orphaned squirrel that doesn't have his eyes open yet. He has aspirated... (10542 views)

Dog with small pink lump. My dog has a smallish lump on her back which is sort of pinkish in colour but dosn't... (18893 views)

Yorkie has tartar on teeth. I have recently noticed that masey has tartar buildin up on her teeth, iv gave her... (7736 views)

Neomycin dangerous to cats? by fault i wish i hadn't, i gave my cat eardrops containing neomycin (i only gave... (16089 views)

Hair loss at base of tail. My cat has been pulling her fur out near the base of her tail,leaving swollen bald... (13941 views)

Scratching ears and shaking head. We just started a road trip and my Isis has started scratching her ears and shaking... (7363 views)

Kidney problem or diabetes? Hi Dr Marie, Hicks is 17 years old now. Still moderately active. 2 years ago, she... (5045 views)

Fontline and Advantix. My I treated my dog with Frontline Plus 2 weeks ago and it's not preventing ticks... (7724 views)