Swelling above dog's eye.

Breed: Miniature Pinscher m
This morning I noticed redness and swelling of my dog's upper eyelid. I gave him one dose of 12.5 mg of Benadryl, (the dosage previously recommended by his vet) but this didn't seem to change anything. He isn't really scratching at the area and it doesn't seem tender to light touch. The eye itself is not draining and seems otherwise normal. There is another dog in the house as well as a kitten and the three play together a lot, so I can't rule out a scratch or other injury, though I don't see an overt cut or scratch. Any advice as to what I should do? With the holiday approaching, I'm worried a wait and see approach might land me in an emergency vet.

Sorry to hear that Kirk is having trouble with his eye. While I won't be able to tell you what is going on without actually examining Kirk, from what you are describing and from the picture that you sent me, some type of allergic reaction does sound like the most likely culprit:

swollen above dog's eye

Sometimes Benadryl may not be strong enough to bring down the swelling in an allergic reaction. But, if it is not bothering Kirk then it may be ok to just watch things for now. If there is still a significant amount of swelling there within 24 hours then I would have the vet take a look.

If the white part of the eye looks red and irritated then I would take him in right away. Any sort of scratch could be serious. But, it's not common to have swelling on the eyelid because of a scratch.

There are other types of infections or even tumors that can look like this, but they would not come up quickly like this did.

I think you will probably find that things resolve within 24 hours, but if they don't then a vet visit is in order.

Sores around vulva. Hi Dr. Marie, I would like a second opinion on my dog's health issue. She is a 4... (59468 views)

Do dogs sweat? Zoe, our chow mix, never pants. When our other dogs, after playtime, are laying... (7642 views)

Do cats prefer litter? My cat just started using the bathroom floor and areas on the carpet at litter... (7286 views)

Stuck together - pregnant? Please help, my two dogs were stuck together today,I think she's pregnant. I'm... (13188 views)

Orange urine in a dog. I have had Moe for two years. He is 17 years old now according to the vet. He... (8159 views)

Sore pug. The first time we thought something was wrong was when we took him out for his usual... (5958 views)

Hamster has crusty eye. my hamster is 2 years old and a week ago i noticed his right eye has crusted over i... (8726 views)

Swollen ear. My cats right inner ear just started turning like bruised, black & blue. Inner ear,... (12110 views)

Cat not eating since new kitten arrived. My cat's behavior has changed quite a bit and won't eat. I will explain when he... (20364 views)

Grade 2 mast cell tumor. Hi, I want to adopt a 9yr old female Golden Retrever from this breeder. The breeder... (13440 views)