Swelling above dog's eye.

Breed: Miniature Pinscher m
This morning I noticed redness and swelling of my dog's upper eyelid. I gave him one dose of 12.5 mg of Benadryl, (the dosage previously recommended by his vet) but this didn't seem to change anything. He isn't really scratching at the area and it doesn't seem tender to light touch. The eye itself is not draining and seems otherwise normal. There is another dog in the house as well as a kitten and the three play together a lot, so I can't rule out a scratch or other injury, though I don't see an overt cut or scratch. Any advice as to what I should do? With the holiday approaching, I'm worried a wait and see approach might land me in an emergency vet.

Sorry to hear that Kirk is having trouble with his eye. While I won't be able to tell you what is going on without actually examining Kirk, from what you are describing and from the picture that you sent me, some type of allergic reaction does sound like the most likely culprit:

swollen above dog's eye

Sometimes Benadryl may not be strong enough to bring down the swelling in an allergic reaction. But, if it is not bothering Kirk then it may be ok to just watch things for now. If there is still a significant amount of swelling there within 24 hours then I would have the vet take a look.

If the white part of the eye looks red and irritated then I would take him in right away. Any sort of scratch could be serious. But, it's not common to have swelling on the eyelid because of a scratch.

There are other types of infections or even tumors that can look like this, but they would not come up quickly like this did.

I think you will probably find that things resolve within 24 hours, but if they don't then a vet visit is in order.

Laser pointers for cats and dogs? Will playing with a laser pointer hurt a dog or... (13311 views)

Dog's eye blue and purple. hi my dog annebell has a giant blister in eye yesterday it was small so i didnt... (14553 views)

Frontline and Sentry? My husband put sentry flea and tick squeeze on our dog 2 days ago,and it didn;t work... (10782 views)

My dog is deaf. Almost total deaf within the last 3 months. 14 yr. old english pointer. Female. In... (7492 views)

Trouble breathing and died. my beloved cat mr whippy died recently and i am breaking my heart thinking i could... (10743 views)

My dog wants to sniff everything. I have miniature schnauzer who refuses to poop in “timely manner outside. I take... (11120 views)

Puppy Strangles. litter of 12 puppies were born on April 13th and now 4 are showing signs of lumps... (8639 views)

Bleeding after biopsy. My dog has been diagnosed with Cancer(hemangiosarcoma). The tiny hole were we... (13616 views)

Vomiting all food. My mom's adopted shelter cat, Luci, has a strange problem. It used to be nearly... (7727 views)

Rest for cruciate tears. Is there any unequivical, clinical evidence of a positive effect of... (11975 views)