Strange cat behavior.

Breed: ragdoll mix I believ
I've looked a bit online and have not quite found everything my cat is doing. I have a male neutered cat about 12 years old. Recently he has been excessively kneading, right next to me. He gets all 4 paws involved making small meows. When he is touched while doing this he meows (almost like complaining) and jumps a bit when touched during the whole fiasco. He is in a hunched stance when doing so and I have noticed some small thrusting on his hind quarters. It's almost like he goes into a trance when doing this, and it can go on for quite some time. He rarely purrs while doing this.

I understand kneading generally is a display of affection, also possibly marking their territory, among other things. I've had cats all my life but have never seen a cat take it to this level, and almost seem to not enjoy being petted during it.

I will add that about a year ago my roommate moved out and took his cats with him. Cirrus was somewhat attached to one of his female cats. He bought a kitten (female fixed) a few months later, to keep cirrus company when I travel for work. They have become very close as well.

Cirrus has always kneaded in some fashion, but this behavior or type of kneading is somewhat new withing that past month or so.

Thanks for your time.

I have to admit that this is not a situation that I have treated before, so I did some research for you.

I searched for similar cases on Veterinary Information Network where vets talk about their unusual cases and I actually did find a feline medicine specialist who mentioned that some cats as they get older can suddenly develop behavior like this. It sounds like it probably is a sexual behavior, almost like kitty masturbating, and it is apparently quite normal.

Some cats can start doing this if there is a change in their environment that they don't like, but sometimes there is no known cause.

Punishing the behaviour is not advised as it could make Cirrus more anxious. The specialist recommends enriching the cat's environment by adding things like kitty towers, catnip, toys, etc. etc. And if this is not working then an anti-anxiety medication short term may help.

Most likely though this is not a serious problem and you could choose to ignore it. However, if you are thinking that it is uncomfortable for Cirrus or if it is happening more and more frequently then I would have your vet see him. Also, if there are any urinary issues such as urinating outside of the box or going more frequently to the box then I would have him seen right away. It is in theory possible that he has an irritated penis and that is making him feel like he needs to do this sexual behavior. This is unlikely though.

Bengal Cat health questions. please could you read this topic Dr. Marie and answer to help this person? thank you... (9980 views)

Vomiting and red skin. Dr. Marie My buddy Bobber is sick. He is currently seeing a vet. I read a Q and A... (7375 views)

Dog has liver cancer. Our 12 year old Golden/Lab mix has been diagnosed with liver cancer. What can we do... (24212 views)

Eyes rolled back in head. About 3 months ago, Bruce's eyes rolled back in his head and become very blood shot.... (44210 views)

Red spots under arms and legs. my dog has red spots under her arms and now on her legs what could it be... (14080 views)

Diarrhea and coughing. First off let me apologize for the convoluted description of the symptoms, but I... (5881 views)

Dental problems in 20 year old cat. My cat Jack, who is 20 yrs old and has a predominant heart murmur and obviously a... (13662 views)

Ringworm treatment in cat. First, thank you for your previous help with my questions. I have 2 issues with... (18050 views)

Puppy sleeps all the time. Hi, We just got our puppy Marley on Sunday, 16. He is eating and drinking, and is 7... (10037 views)

Lump after vaccines. We took Max to the vet for shots. The vet gave them to him on his lower back and he... (33944 views)