Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

D-Con mice bait ingested.

Species: Dog
Breed: German Sheppard/Chow
Age: 2-5 years
75 to 80 lb dog ingested D-con mice bait, eliminated it all in bowel movement, therefore, didn’t think there was any need for concern. This was 1 week ago, has seemed fine and appears to be all normal otherwise. Wanted to know if I was wrong and needed to be concerned or not?


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Ingestion of D-con mice poison is a serious concern. Even though you saw the D-con in the stool, the poison has travelled through Cassie's entire intestinal tract and some of it has definitely been absorbed.

D-con kills mice by causing bleeding. It will affect Cassie's ability to clot her blood. If she was to have any sort of wound she could possibly bleed to death.

The effects of D-con can be present in the system for up to 4 weeks.

I would highly advise you to have blood tests run by your vet to make sure that she can clot her blood ok. This test is called a coagulation profile.

If your vet sees that she is having coagulation problems then they will prescribe vitamin K which will help her to be able to clot her blood properly until her body clears the toxin.

I hope she is ok!

Dr. Marie.

---This question was asked in our Ask A Vet For Free section.---


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Dog ate a dead bird. he ate a dead bird today,hes been sick once,he seems fine and hes eating,should i... (29677 views)

Risks of liver biopsy? Good morning Dr. Marie! Remember me? From last month with Oreo's bile acid test... (23601 views)

Problems after ear cleaning. I took my cat to the vet about three weeks ago to his ears flushed out because he... (12335 views)

Dog eats my underwear. This is going to sound weird but this is a real question. My dog keeps licking mine... (42812 views)

Upper respiratory infection. HI Dr. Marie, Ten days ago a neighborhood cat started hanging around my house. I... (10673 views)

Bumps around anus. Itchiness and swollen bumps "cauliflower" looking around her vagina and anus. She... (56091 views)

Dog vomiting and limping. as of this morning, Izzy threw up twice, within about 30 seconds, and then stopped.... (78665 views)

Dog suddenly needy. Austin is 7. He is a shelter dog. I've had him since he was 2-ish. He was diagnosed... (36814 views)

Infected spay incision? My puppy was spade last Thursday and I'm worried her incision is not healing... (62553 views)

Becoming a veterinary assistant? I want to become a vet assistant. I have enrolled in an online course that teaches... (5692 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.