D-Con mice bait ingested.

Breed: German Sheppard/Chow
75 to 80 lb dog ingested D-con mice bait, eliminated it all in bowel movement, therefore, didn’t think there was any need for concern. This was 1 week ago, has seemed fine and appears to be all normal otherwise. Wanted to know if I was wrong and needed to be concerned or not?

Ingestion of D-con mice poison is a serious concern. Even though you saw the D-con in the stool, the poison has travelled through Cassie's entire intestinal tract and some of it has definitely been absorbed.

D-con kills mice by causing bleeding. It will affect Cassie's ability to clot her blood. If she was to have any sort of wound she could possibly bleed to death.

The effects of D-con can be present in the system for up to 4 weeks.

I would highly advise you to have blood tests run by your vet to make sure that she can clot her blood ok. This test is called a coagulation profile.

If your vet sees that she is having coagulation problems then they will prescribe vitamin K which will help her to be able to clot her blood properly until her body clears the toxin.

FIP? Fever and fluid. We brought Mo into the vet two weeks ago because he had stopped eating and grooming... (7204 views)

Safe fruits and vegetables for dogs. Hi Dr. Marie, I have a young cat who likes to eat certain fruit and vegetables,... (24135 views)

Itchy feet and nose. Hi, my dog started about 3 days ago with very itchy paws to the point that they are... (7332 views)

Two gerbils fighting. i have a gerbil that i got and i put it with my other gerbil and they were fiting... (7945 views)

Gave meds to early. Hi Dr. Marie, We are away from home this weekend and our pet sitter came early... (10128 views)

Guinea pig jumping out of my arms. I have had my very young (baby/toddler equivalent)guinea pig for about three weeks.... (5602 views)

Chihuahuas with parvo My three puppies are sick i believe they all have parvo. Here are my reasons 1).The... (10622 views)

pain after root canal Had major teeth work performed about 3 months ago as we noticed her breath and she... (7623 views)

Symptoms of Lupus Help! owners have spent $1100 on test and everything comes back normal but Archie is... (10324 views)

Not nursing, diarrhea. We have two mom cats with seven kittens each, one litter a week and a half older... (4973 views)