Torn nail in cat.

Breed: long haired
My cat snagged her nail on string and the string got stuck in the quick and cut it a bit. The nails was sloffing off anyway at the sides as it does when it grows. I removed the fuzzy string and on the underside of the nail the quick is a little exposed. I washed it, cleaned with peroxide and am applying neosporin. Is there anything else I should do?

Ouch. Sorry to hear that Baabs has torn her nail. It sounds like you are doing the right things.

The Neosporin probably won't help that much, but it is not likely to hurt.

At this point Baabs likely just needs some time to heal.

Keep an eye on the nail. If it starts to get a discharge (green or yellow) or if she starts licking it a lot then this is a sign that it could be getting infected. If this happens then she'll need to see the vet for antibiotics.

Hope she does ok!

Cancer or pyometra? My lab who was quite healthy up and until August started to show a dulling coat and... (12923 views)

4 year old cat not eating. My 4 year old cat, who normally is a great eater, isn't eating much at all. She... (7323 views)

Won't eat kidney diet. My cat is 17 years old. She has kidney disease and has been on kidney food (both... (15957 views)

Salt lick for dogs? My dog is constantly licking things (windows, sprinkler heads, feet, floors, ect)... (53009 views)

Dog can't move hind legs. What happens if your dog can't move her hind legs without them sliding out from... (15462 views)

Ear mites? My cat has been scratching at it's ear and itching it. I think he has ear mites. I... (10691 views)

Tumor grew back. Hello, Our cat Chester had a tumor removed, sarcoma, about the size of a large golf... (6274 views)

Swollen lip My cat gets frequent and sudden swelling on her face (her bottom lip usually but... (14776 views)

Did cat die from eating fertilizer? Hello, a couple of days ago I found one of my cats dead in the garden. Although he... (11771 views)

Brown spots on dog's belly. In the last 5 weeks, I've noticed some skin spots on my 3 year old Yorkshire... (35749 views)