Torn nail in cat.

Breed: long haired
My cat snagged her nail on string and the string got stuck in the quick and cut it a bit. The nails was sloffing off anyway at the sides as it does when it grows. I removed the fuzzy string and on the underside of the nail the quick is a little exposed. I washed it, cleaned with peroxide and am applying neosporin. Is there anything else I should do?

Ouch. Sorry to hear that Baabs has torn her nail. It sounds like you are doing the right things.

The Neosporin probably won't help that much, but it is not likely to hurt.

At this point Baabs likely just needs some time to heal.

Keep an eye on the nail. If it starts to get a discharge (green or yellow) or if she starts licking it a lot then this is a sign that it could be getting infected. If this happens then she'll need to see the vet for antibiotics.

Hope she does ok!

Skin lesion on gerbil. can you recommend a treatment for what appears to be a hot spot or skin irritation... (6549 views)

Dog ate staples My dog may have ingested 4 staples last night around midnight. She is acting... (38099 views)

Should I get an ultrasound? Dear Dr. Marie, My dog has a grade 3-4 heart murmur that she’s had her whole... (8269 views)

Cat ate vitamin D3. I believe my cat accidentally ingested a 1000iu capsule of Vitamin D3 I read your... (24175 views)

Metacam safe for dogs? Hi, We have a 2 year old Lab mix from the local shelter. We adopted him as a puppy... (12194 views)

dog with red eye Hello, I have a 2 year old male lab pit mix, fr a couple his left eye has been... (21641 views)

Incontinence she will be lying on the floor and she just pees and does not know or realize she... (7764 views)

Dog pooped red and black balls. My dog once threw up a screw and has been eating her poop. Recently I found red and... (11063 views)

Guinea Pig losing hair. My guinea pig is 10 weeks and he's lost hair at the rear of his back. It looks a... (9365 views)

Green discharge post whelping. is it normal for my dog to have greenish pee and black clumps after she gave birth?... (18875 views)