Torn nail in cat.

Breed: long haired
My cat snagged her nail on string and the string got stuck in the quick and cut it a bit. The nails was sloffing off anyway at the sides as it does when it grows. I removed the fuzzy string and on the underside of the nail the quick is a little exposed. I washed it, cleaned with peroxide and am applying neosporin. Is there anything else I should do?

Ouch. Sorry to hear that Baabs has torn her nail. It sounds like you are doing the right things.

The Neosporin probably won't help that much, but it is not likely to hurt.

At this point Baabs likely just needs some time to heal.

Keep an eye on the nail. If it starts to get a discharge (green or yellow) or if she starts licking it a lot then this is a sign that it could be getting infected. If this happens then she'll need to see the vet for antibiotics.

Hope she does ok!

Scratching ears and shaking head. We just started a road trip and my Isis has started scratching her ears and shaking... (7527 views)

Papilloma Virus. My seven month old puppy developed papilloma virus warts on his lips and then his... (24018 views)

Border collie leg problems? Hi Doctor, from Surrey in The UK, We have a gorgeous Border Collie pup. We think... (13539 views)

Two kittens limping. Yesterday my two indoor 6 month old cats started limping and favoring their dominant... (6138 views)

Did convenia cause death? Dear Dr. Marie, My beloved pet has died just seven days after receiving a shot of... (12181 views)

Dog doesn't drink much and burps. We recently adopted our boxer mix from a vet and she appears to be in very good... (21281 views)

Do I have rabies? Hiii m rakesh..i was bitten by a dog when i was 18 years old. I dnt know that dog... (9357 views)

Puppy throwing up 3 days. My kids brought home a new puppy I have no money she has been here for 2 weeks I... (8277 views)

Dog's stool a little loose. Dr Marie, Examining that bump around Max's nipples it appears to be less solid.... (4624 views)

Should we euthanize? Hershey was diagnosed with lymphoma today. He has two large swollen nodes under his... (14229 views)