Torn nail in cat.

Breed: long haired
My cat snagged her nail on string and the string got stuck in the quick and cut it a bit. The nails was sloffing off anyway at the sides as it does when it grows. I removed the fuzzy string and on the underside of the nail the quick is a little exposed. I washed it, cleaned with peroxide and am applying neosporin. Is there anything else I should do?

Ouch. Sorry to hear that Baabs has torn her nail. It sounds like you are doing the right things.

The Neosporin probably won't help that much, but it is not likely to hurt.

At this point Baabs likely just needs some time to heal.

Keep an eye on the nail. If it starts to get a discharge (green or yellow) or if she starts licking it a lot then this is a sign that it could be getting infected. If this happens then she'll need to see the vet for antibiotics.

Hope she does ok!

Did I make the right decision? Hello, I guess my question isn't so much of a question but more of a plea for... (42617 views)

15 year old dog with kidney failure. My dog Gyppie had a bloody stool, large. We took her to the vet. He ran blood work,... (8346 views)

Lumps on hips. My dog is five years old female golden/lab. Three weeks ago I noticed two bumps at... (15707 views)

Cat doesn't want to move. My cats bio: July was infested with fleas. Took two months to totally rid them from... (5832 views)

Cat not eating. Hello, Dr. Haynes - My cat Simon doesn't seem to be eating or drinking very much... (50583 views)

Gerbil's head exploded. We have had two gerbils for a couple of years but last night one of there heads... (15394 views)

Where is dog's vulva? My husband resqued a blue tick in the National Forest that was being chased by 2... (53271 views)

Is spinach good for dogs? Is spinach toxic for... (149395 views)

Limping Dog. Yesterday, my dog started limping & avoiding putting any weight on his right hind... (25524 views)

Cat died suddenly. Hi and thank you for your time My son met me at the door in tears as 1.5 year old... (7329 views)