Torn nail in cat.

Breed: long haired
My cat snagged her nail on string and the string got stuck in the quick and cut it a bit. The nails was sloffing off anyway at the sides as it does when it grows. I removed the fuzzy string and on the underside of the nail the quick is a little exposed. I washed it, cleaned with peroxide and am applying neosporin. Is there anything else I should do?

Ouch. Sorry to hear that Baabs has torn her nail. It sounds like you are doing the right things.

The Neosporin probably won't help that much, but it is not likely to hurt.

At this point Baabs likely just needs some time to heal.

Keep an eye on the nail. If it starts to get a discharge (green or yellow) or if she starts licking it a lot then this is a sign that it could be getting infected. If this happens then she'll need to see the vet for antibiotics.

Hope she does ok!

Dog has a bald patch over eye. Hello, I have a miniature Dashchund which is 5 mnths old and she is in perfect... (14411 views)

Wart on dog's paw. Hello Dr Marie, I'm hoping you can help me identify a lump that I have found on... (26177 views)

Blood tinged urine. Dr. Marie, My cat does not pee in her litterbox. Instead she will pee right... (11521 views)

Uncomfortable cocker spaniel My 7 1/2 year old cocker spaniel came in from a walk last night with a stomach that... (41791 views)

Thumping back legs. My cat started throwing up Sunday. Yesterday he started thumping his back feet and... (22192 views)

Cancer or infection? My dog recently completed radiation therapy for a brain tumor and he handled the... (5671 views)

Doxycycline and amoxicillin. My dog is believed to have Lyme disease, her test was negative but our vet thought... (19514 views)

Cat sick after prednisone. Two weeks ago LittleMan had something like an infection in the corners of his mouth... (20212 views)

Large mammary glands. Our dog is a black + tan kelpie and has just had her first litter of puppies, six in... (10751 views)

Stuck together - pregnant? Please help, my two dogs were stuck together today,I think she's pregnant. I'm... (13592 views)