Patches of fur loss.

Breed: German Shepherd
My dog has small patches of fur coming out & he has a few bald spots around his neck & chest & legs. His tail is thinning out as well. He looks like he has dry or scaly skin. He is losing weight even though his appetite has not changed. Could he have mange? or is it something else?

Kris

There are many different things that can cause the lesions you are describing. You are welcome to reply and I can tell you how to get pictures to me if you would like and this may help me to answer better.

It's possible he has a bacterial infection. These always need to be treated with antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

Sarcoptic mange is possible as well. Most dogs with sarcoptic mange are really itchy.

There are many other possibilities including ringworm, fleas and more.

I'd highly advise a vet visit for him!

Swollen lab. Hi, my name is Ron Lamoureux. One month ago I noticed that my 2 yr old Lab... (8787 views)

Only one testicle descended. I have a 7 month old male boxer who has only had one of his testicles drop. Can you... (56784 views)

Teeth cleaning in cats. How important is it to clean your cats teeth and how would I go about it? My cat... (6991 views)

Cat can't poop. hi am afraid it is a mega colon my cat is not giving any stool , although he is... (14669 views)

Puppy sleeps all the time. Hi, We just got our puppy Marley on Sunday, 16. He is eating and drinking, and is 7... (9205 views)

Tumor in belly. I recently discovered my 13 year old cat has a probably cancerous mass growing in... (6106 views)

Abscess or Cancer? My 8 year old shih tzu had raptured disks surgery five months ago. He was on wheel... (8278 views)

Dog can't pee after accident. brandy got ran over about 4 days ago,,, she is walking with a lamp,,, eating and... (14251 views)

Pig ears and diarrhea. Hi, My dog gets occasional diarrhea, like twice a week maybe, I had to take her... (13422 views)

Lump on hamster near leg. Hi, My hamster has a pink lump on her right side (Near the front right leg) She... (15657 views)