Patches of fur loss.

Breed: German Shepherd
My dog has small patches of fur coming out & he has a few bald spots around his neck & chest & legs. His tail is thinning out as well. He looks like he has dry or scaly skin. He is losing weight even though his appetite has not changed. Could he have mange? or is it something else?

Kris

There are many different things that can cause the lesions you are describing. You are welcome to reply and I can tell you how to get pictures to me if you would like and this may help me to answer better.

It's possible he has a bacterial infection. These always need to be treated with antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

Sarcoptic mange is possible as well. Most dogs with sarcoptic mange are really itchy.

There are many other possibilities including ringworm, fleas and more.

I'd highly advise a vet visit for him!

Constipated dog. We have a large, 45kg, dog, mixed breed.He's five and a half years old. He is... (11062 views)

Cancer or pyometra? My lab who was quite healthy up and until August started to show a dulling coat and... (14830 views)

Whipworm treatment? I was looking into a preventative whip worm product as my vet keeps telling me that... (7006 views)

Sneezing cat. We have adopted a feral cat off the back porch in November. We think she is about 2... (16077 views)

Cat with hyperthyroidism. Hi again! I spoke to you last week regarding the bad behavior of my cat. She has... (25810 views)

Tea Tree Oil Toxicity. Tea tree oil extract was put on the neck and spine of the dog for flea prevention. ... (18960 views)

Tough upper respiratory infection. We picked up Indigo from a breeder on June 13th. He sneezed occasionally throughout... (30617 views)

Cat not eating. Hello, Dr. Haynes - My cat Simon doesn't seem to be eating or drinking very much... (54027 views)

Cat is eating less and vomiting. Bernie has been on Royal Canin wet Overweight Management food for awhile. Lately he... (6923 views)

Large scab on cat's neck Dear Dr. Marie, My cat has a scab on its back, it's L shaped and is uniformly... (15972 views)