Patches of fur loss.

Breed: German Shepherd
My dog has small patches of fur coming out & he has a few bald spots around his neck & chest & legs. His tail is thinning out as well. He looks like he has dry or scaly skin. He is losing weight even though his appetite has not changed. Could he have mange? or is it something else?

Kris

There are many different things that can cause the lesions you are describing. You are welcome to reply and I can tell you how to get pictures to me if you would like and this may help me to answer better.

It's possible he has a bacterial infection. These always need to be treated with antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

Sarcoptic mange is possible as well. Most dogs with sarcoptic mange are really itchy.

There are many other possibilities including ringworm, fleas and more.

I'd highly advise a vet visit for him!

Puppy leaking urine. My puppy seems to be going pee while he sleeps .. He's 7 weeks old. Is this normal?... (11799 views)

No bowel movement? Hi & thank you for taking my question. I would like to know if it is normal for my... (21892 views)

Damaged intestines? A few weeks ago I busted Diesel eating berries off a tree in the back yard. I told... (13956 views)

Dog with phlegm from mouth hi my dog has thick phlegm like mucus coming out of his mout has seemed ill for the... (63856 views)

Home treatment for abscess. My cat had an abscess I didnt know about until it blew 4 days ago. I have cut away... (10533 views)

Run over by car. we have a small part pomeranian dog, she old, but not sure how old. she was... (13249 views)

Pancreatitis and HGE. I had my Cooper put to sleep 3 weeks ago today. On the Monday before, he vomited... (43913 views)

Anal gland problems. Hello. I am a veterinary assistant and I am having an issue with my Cane Corso's... (10785 views)

Hill's k/d for bladder stones Nigel developed kidney stones and had surgery to removed them and re-route the... (10703 views)

Garlic or Vinegar for fleas? My little Lady has been to the vet and has received a flea treatment that went... (13598 views)