Patches of fur loss.

Breed: German Shepherd
My dog has small patches of fur coming out & he has a few bald spots around his neck & chest & legs. His tail is thinning out as well. He looks like he has dry or scaly skin. He is losing weight even though his appetite has not changed. Could he have mange? or is it something else?

Kris

There are many different things that can cause the lesions you are describing. You are welcome to reply and I can tell you how to get pictures to me if you would like and this may help me to answer better.

It's possible he has a bacterial infection. These always need to be treated with antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

Sarcoptic mange is possible as well. Most dogs with sarcoptic mange are really itchy.

There are many other possibilities including ringworm, fleas and more.

I'd highly advise a vet visit for him!

Why is cat urinating in the house? Hi Dr. Marie, Recently, my one cat Habibi has started urinating outside of the... (5685 views)

Dog eats grapes. Hi. I live in rural Peru and have three dogs. I am writing regarding the oldest who... (5923 views)

Lump on puppy's neck. Hello Dr. Marie I hope you could choose my question because i'm so worried about my... (15774 views)

Best ear cleaner? i would like to know which solution is better to use, oti-clens or... (6276 views)

Missed vaccines. My dog is approximatley 4 years old and hasnt had any injections since she was... (5352 views)

Pregnant 10 month old dog. my mini doberman is 10 months and shes pregnant can she die? and how many dogs can... (13254 views)

Diabetes and IBD. Hi Dr. Marie- This one is long and complicated, but hopefully it makes sense! I... (8482 views)

Dog only has one testicle. my dog has only one penis can it mate... (12877 views)

Can I give hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting? I gave my puppy a tablespoon and a half of hydrogen peroxide to help him throw up... (25366 views)

Cat is sleeping a lot. My cat has been sleeping a lot in the last two days. Want play. Will eat a little.... (9025 views)