Patches of fur loss.

Breed: German Shepherd
My dog has small patches of fur coming out & he has a few bald spots around his neck & chest & legs. His tail is thinning out as well. He looks like he has dry or scaly skin. He is losing weight even though his appetite has not changed. Could he have mange? or is it something else?

Kris

There are many different things that can cause the lesions you are describing. You are welcome to reply and I can tell you how to get pictures to me if you would like and this may help me to answer better.

It's possible he has a bacterial infection. These always need to be treated with antibiotics prescribed by the vet.

Sarcoptic mange is possible as well. Most dogs with sarcoptic mange are really itchy.

There are many other possibilities including ringworm, fleas and more.

I'd highly advise a vet visit for him!

High ALKP and bile acids. Hi Dr. Marie I value your opinion so much and I do respect and understand that... (16561 views)

Dog has split her nail. my dog has a toe nail that is split. it is causing her alot of pain. what do we do... (8353 views)

Drooling and twitching. My 8 week old Mini American Eskimo has been drooling excessively all day. The... (13145 views)

Pregnant cat in heat? I thought Clhoe was pregnant , she went into (Heat)a month ago and was seen being...... (13981 views)

Milo's chicken jerky safety? Hi, Thank you for taking the time to read this. I'm concerned about the chicken... (8823 views)

Vaccine squirted onto skin. OK... I have a Maltese and yorkie that I was giving their second vaccine 5 in 1, and... (22338 views)

Cat with bump on skin. My 5 year old cat has a small bump on the back of his neck. It moves with the skin... (11213 views)

Lesions on foot pads. my cat is missing large pieces of skin on its foot pads after getting scabs all over... (8548 views)

Maggots in guinea pig cage. Dr. Marie, I found maggots in my guinea pig cage today. what should I do? They seem... (19822 views)

Draining fluid for heart failure. My dog has Congestive Heart Failure. He is under the care of a veterinarian and... (17288 views)