Vomiting and bloody stool.

Breed: Pug
We just took a trip, and on the last day away our dog began throwing up. We have been home three days and ever since then I have noticed red blood in his stools.

Hi Herb,

Sorry to hear that Gizmo is not well.

It only takes a small amount of inflammation in the colon to cause bleeding in the bowel. I don't usually get too worried if there is some blood in the stools as long as he is bright and happy and eating ok.

However, if he is still vomiting or if he doesn't want to eat, then I am more concerned. If this is the case he really should see a vet.

A small amount of vomiting followed by diarrhea or stools with blood can be caused by eating something unusual or new or by stress. Given that you were just away on vacation this can certainly count as stress even if it was a fun trip.

If he is bright and alert and eating well you may be able to give him some relief by fasting him for 24 hours followed by small meals of chicken and rice. And again, if he is depressed and not eating much then a vet visit is best.

Hope he does ok!

Related question: My dog is pooping blood.

Bad euthanasia Hello, I had to have my dog euthanized. After she got her first injection to be... (5081 views)

Peptobismol use in cats I gave pepto bismol to my cat will it be... (20992 views)

Questions about spay. I have an appointment to get Gracie spayed on the 17th and had a few questions. ... (15378 views)

Open sore with black center. My dog has an open soar on her back a little bit smaller then a pencil eraser. In... (19019 views)

How to get guinea pig to gain weight. Hi! Remember me? Some days ago one of my friends gave me a guinea pig that she... (13924 views)

Puppy vomiting at night. My 5 month old lab is crate trained and in his crate almost nightly he has begun to... (45691 views)

Lab with a cough. Two days ago, my chocolate lab starting coughing and dry heaving occasionally when... (47300 views)

Chihuahua fell from couch. Hello. I have a sweet, loving, happy, and spoiled female chihuahua, weighing about... (9551 views)

Sniffling, sneezing cat. For the past two days our cat has been constantly sniffling and sneezing and has... (55788 views)

Swollen hip in Golden. We inherited him from my father-in-law 2 years ago, he was very much over weight so... (4646 views)