Vomiting and bloody stool.

Breed: Pug
We just took a trip, and on the last day away our dog began throwing up. We have been home three days and ever since then I have noticed red blood in his stools.

Hi Herb,

Sorry to hear that Gizmo is not well.

It only takes a small amount of inflammation in the colon to cause bleeding in the bowel. I don't usually get too worried if there is some blood in the stools as long as he is bright and happy and eating ok.

However, if he is still vomiting or if he doesn't want to eat, then I am more concerned. If this is the case he really should see a vet.

A small amount of vomiting followed by diarrhea or stools with blood can be caused by eating something unusual or new or by stress. Given that you were just away on vacation this can certainly count as stress even if it was a fun trip.

If he is bright and alert and eating well you may be able to give him some relief by fasting him for 24 hours followed by small meals of chicken and rice. And again, if he is depressed and not eating much then a vet visit is best.

Hope he does ok!

Related question: My dog is pooping blood.

Drooling and twitching. My 8 week old Mini American Eskimo has been drooling excessively all day. The... (15153 views)

Cat vomiting and not eating. Hi Dr. Marie...I wonder if you could help me figure out if my cat is really sick. ... (33772 views)

Can dog get Hepatitis C? can dogs contract hep c from biting someone that has it? ... (28706 views)

Benadryl for swollen snout? my dogs face around the snout has become swollen not sure why but im guessing its... (23110 views)

Will removing an eye affect my dog? Sadly, our son's dog recently had a car accident and my lose one eye. He is still in... (9353 views)

Kitten with white gums. My kitten is 8 weeks old she just wants to lay around she was playing with the other... (24409 views)

Swelling on neck. I just noticed that when my dog barks the right side of her neck swells about 1-2... (6054 views)

Dental problems in 20 year old cat. My cat Jack, who is 20 yrs old and has a predominant heart murmur and obviously a... (14724 views)

High liver enzymes. I had placed Archie in a board and care home while we were on vacation. After coming... (14257 views)

Painful after grooming. My dog, Codey (6 yr old rescue cockapoo) went to the groomer yesterday to get... (22729 views)