Vomiting and bloody stool.

Breed: Pug
We just took a trip, and on the last day away our dog began throwing up. We have been home three days and ever since then I have noticed red blood in his stools.

Hi Herb,

Sorry to hear that Gizmo is not well.

It only takes a small amount of inflammation in the colon to cause bleeding in the bowel. I don't usually get too worried if there is some blood in the stools as long as he is bright and happy and eating ok.

However, if he is still vomiting or if he doesn't want to eat, then I am more concerned. If this is the case he really should see a vet.

A small amount of vomiting followed by diarrhea or stools with blood can be caused by eating something unusual or new or by stress. Given that you were just away on vacation this can certainly count as stress even if it was a fun trip.

If he is bright and alert and eating well you may be able to give him some relief by fasting him for 24 hours followed by small meals of chicken and rice. And again, if he is depressed and not eating much then a vet visit is best.

Hope he does ok!

Related question: My dog is pooping blood.

Bad breath in dog. My dog is 12 yrs old and has very bad breath. I lost my husband 21/2 yrs ago and I... (16854 views)

Seizures Max is 14. Four nights ago he had a big seizure that lasted about 60-90 seconds. ... (89083 views)

Vomiting dog Hi Marie, Our dog is a 5 year old Lhasa male (entire).Which we bought to China with... (21156 views)

Can't move back legs. I hope you reply quick my dog is dragging both of his back legs he cant stand up but... (19729 views)

White bumps on anus. Hi Dr. Marie, I know you are quite busy with all your other questions and I am... (19426 views)

Severe arthritis and leaking urine. Hi we have a 13 year old dog with long term hip dysplasia. he has cartrophen once a... (12859 views)

Cat is licking himself and has scabs. My cat is licking him self till he bleeds and it's getting so bad that he has... (10098 views)

Testicular and splenic masses. My 9 year old Golden Retriever had enlarged testicles with no other symptoms. I took... (9111 views)

Famotidine for kidney disease. Coco had an ultrasound scan yesterday to confirm she has bilateral kidney cancer.... (10936 views)

Dog suddenly needy. Austin is 7. He is a shelter dog. I've had him since he was 2-ish. He was diagnosed... (34757 views)