Vomiting and bloody stool.

Breed: Pug
We just took a trip, and on the last day away our dog began throwing up. We have been home three days and ever since then I have noticed red blood in his stools.

Hi Herb,

Sorry to hear that Gizmo is not well.

It only takes a small amount of inflammation in the colon to cause bleeding in the bowel. I don't usually get too worried if there is some blood in the stools as long as he is bright and happy and eating ok.

However, if he is still vomiting or if he doesn't want to eat, then I am more concerned. If this is the case he really should see a vet.

A small amount of vomiting followed by diarrhea or stools with blood can be caused by eating something unusual or new or by stress. Given that you were just away on vacation this can certainly count as stress even if it was a fun trip.

If he is bright and alert and eating well you may be able to give him some relief by fasting him for 24 hours followed by small meals of chicken and rice. And again, if he is depressed and not eating much then a vet visit is best.

Hope he does ok!

Related question: My dog is pooping blood.

Weakness in legs and thirsty. Dear Dr. Marie, Sammy has been having weakness in hind legs,difficulty standing... (12039 views)

Wobbly drooling kitten. I have a 6 month old tabby and a few days ago he started walking almost bow legged... (13484 views)

Licking at bum and feet. My 12 year old female cat started having anal gland issues over a year ago. After... (7626 views)

Lab not eating. Dakota, my lab, has stopped eating over the last couple of weeks and is losing... (11673 views)

Throwing up and diarrhea. My dog has been throwing up and has had diarrhea for a couple of days. She is able... (30464 views)

Vomiting and runny eyes. Hello Doc! My cat Princess started throwing up this morning. First two times was... (43019 views)

Cat has scabs on neck. Hi! My cat wont stop scratching himself..he is an indoor cat and it just randomly... (12363 views)

White tongue after neuter. My dog got neutered couple of days ago and seems to be recovering fine. He is eating... (10779 views)

Training blind dog. My rottweiler is blind and does not like to go outside. If I put her on a leash and... (10129 views)

Carnassial tooth slab fracture. Hello Dr. Marie! Thanks for offering this service! My 3 year old dog has... (11884 views)