Vomiting and bloody stool.

Breed: Pug
We just took a trip, and on the last day away our dog began throwing up. We have been home three days and ever since then I have noticed red blood in his stools.

Hi Herb,

Sorry to hear that Gizmo is not well.

It only takes a small amount of inflammation in the colon to cause bleeding in the bowel. I don't usually get too worried if there is some blood in the stools as long as he is bright and happy and eating ok.

However, if he is still vomiting or if he doesn't want to eat, then I am more concerned. If this is the case he really should see a vet.

A small amount of vomiting followed by diarrhea or stools with blood can be caused by eating something unusual or new or by stress. Given that you were just away on vacation this can certainly count as stress even if it was a fun trip.

If he is bright and alert and eating well you may be able to give him some relief by fasting him for 24 hours followed by small meals of chicken and rice. And again, if he is depressed and not eating much then a vet visit is best.

Hope he does ok!

Related question: My dog is pooping blood.

Very itchy dog. My sweet Molly has a skin infection my recent visit to the vet diagnosed it as... (6428 views)

Green discharge post whelping. is it normal for my dog to have greenish pee and black clumps after she gave birth?... (21606 views)

Dog died suddenly even after glucose. my dog died suddenly...... it vomited three time .........then she was not able to... (12766 views)

Cat not eating much. Hi. My cat as some allergy problems since he is allergic to turkey and corn. For the... (15024 views)

Advantage Multi Reaction? Cat losing weight after advantage multi treatment, what can I do to make him start... (9285 views)

Can my cat live with pocket pets? Hi I have a pet rat, a guinea pig, a hamster and a cat! The cat is 19 years old, and... (10870 views)

Dental cleaning extend dog's life? My Pug Chocko has a tooth that feels loose. I think it's his lower central incisor... (7855 views)

Wound on cat. My father's cat Jerry is 3 year old neutered male DSH who is up-to-date on all... (6611 views)

Why is cat urinating in the house? Hi Dr. Marie, Recently, my one cat Habibi has started urinating outside of the... (6967 views)

Cat is not eating. Our 6 year old male cat has not been eating or Drinking. He has not been using the... (19679 views)