Vomiting and bloody stool.

Breed: Pug
We just took a trip, and on the last day away our dog began throwing up. We have been home three days and ever since then I have noticed red blood in his stools.

Hi Herb,

Sorry to hear that Gizmo is not well.

It only takes a small amount of inflammation in the colon to cause bleeding in the bowel. I don't usually get too worried if there is some blood in the stools as long as he is bright and happy and eating ok.

However, if he is still vomiting or if he doesn't want to eat, then I am more concerned. If this is the case he really should see a vet.

A small amount of vomiting followed by diarrhea or stools with blood can be caused by eating something unusual or new or by stress. Given that you were just away on vacation this can certainly count as stress even if it was a fun trip.

If he is bright and alert and eating well you may be able to give him some relief by fasting him for 24 hours followed by small meals of chicken and rice. And again, if he is depressed and not eating much then a vet visit is best.

Hope he does ok!

Related question: My dog is pooping blood.

Dentistry on older cat. My cat, who is a 19 year old spayed male we have had his entire life is fairly... (15776 views)

Increased thirst and urination. I have an 11 year old spayed female toy poodle. She has been drinking a lot of water... (24443 views)

Swollen vulva. My dog was in heat a few months ago and her vagina is still swollen. What shouldI... (36311 views)

Dog has hotspots from fleas. In August my dog started scratching and biting creating hotspots. She has been... (8981 views)

Meds safe for small dog? Good evening! I recently adopted a toy poodle. She is currently 4 months old (DOB... (8066 views)

Why is my 10 year old chihuahua coughing? Hi Dr. Marie! I have a 10yr old female Chihuahua that has a coughing problem. At... (39992 views)

Missing patches of hair. I just got my chocolate lab from out of town a few days ago and I have noticed... (9980 views)

Will neutering help my dog? my dog is constantly licking his genital area, my question is if i get my dog... (11041 views)

Older cat with problems. Hi there. I really hope that you can answer my question. My cat Derek is obviously... (53163 views)

Healthy cat died suddenly. Why did my cat die? I came home from work today to find that my cat had died. I... (27415 views)