Diarrhea question.

Breed: malamute hybrid
My 10 year old malamute just got up off the living room floor, leaving behind a puddle from his rear. It is foil smelling and very dark brown. Not at all red.

A similar thing happened last summer that the vet explained might have been from swallowing a shared of bone. That time however, it was pooring from his rectum and blood filled.

I'm very worried as I have noticed him behaving anxiously in the last 48 hours and leaving his food for hours. He has been eating and drinking though.

Please help. I love this dog and want to do what I need too. However, last time it was worse and I spent 5 hours in the middle of the night at the emergency vet and $1000.00 just to have him sent home with injected fluids. That was all they did.

Any ideas?

Sorry to hear that Skyler is having this problem. This is a tough one to answer without seeing your dog, but I can give you a few ideas.

First of all, if he is eating and drinking well then this is probably not anything too serious. What you are describing sounds like some nasty diarrhea. There are many possible causes but the most likely are from a change in food, a new treat or getting into something like the garbage.

If you think this is the case then Skyler may do ok with a 24 hour fast followed by small meals of chicken and rice.

If the stool looks really dark (like black) it is possible that there is something more serious like a stomach ulcer. However, if this was the case he likely wouldn't be eating.

It sounds like you don't need an emergency visit tonight as long as he is relatively comfortable. However, if he seems to be worse tomorrow or if there is no improvement in 48 hours then a vet visit is the best idea.

I hope this helps! And I hope your boy is feeling better soon!

I did just give him a brand new treat today; a nutri dog hip and joint chew w/ 200 mg glucosamine...I'm hoping that it's just a little digestion issue. It was black like blood stool, which is what it was before. It is like coffee colored brown.

I hope you are right and it's just a little quizy diarrhea. If his situation worsens, I will call the vet.

Should I forgo a short round the block walk tonight? Let him rest til tomorrow?

I would bet money that the treat is the culprit! Some dogs are very sensitive to any new addition to their diet.

I should mention as well, if there is a stomach ulcer which is causing the black/bloody stool the stool is usually very tarry.

Regarding the walk, I don't see a problem with going for a short walk tonight as long as he seems to want to go.

I will be heading offline now as it is bedtime for me, but if you have more concerns I'll be back on in the morning.

Hope all goes well!

thank you...

You're very welcome! I hope Skyler is feeling better this morning!

He seems to be doing better today. Question: I have some Net Nutri Plus Gluc/MSM chewables on the way to help with his hips...I'm worried they will cause this issue...is there anyway to introduce them w/out upsetting his digestive like this?

Glad to hear he is feeling better! I would wait to introduce the new chewables until he has been well for a few days. Then try just one treat and see how he does. As long as we introduce things gradually we should be ok.

Dog's eye blue and purple. hi my dog annebell has a giant blister in eye yesterday it was small so i didnt... (12544 views)

low protein food My brother's cat, who is about 14 years old, recently got bloodwork done at the vet,... (7780 views)

Non itchy bald spots. She has 3 bald spots on her head and 2-3 more around her body. Took her to the vet... (15206 views)

Chronic diarrhea. Hi, My 2 1/2 year old Siberian has had chronic diarrhea for the past 4 weeks.... (11850 views)

Rat bleeding from eye. It started about 4-5 weeks ago when I noticed my girl was bleeding from her eye and... (18877 views)

9 month old puppy pregnant? My puppy is only 9 months old and she was in heat for her first time. Her father was... (33626 views)

Vomiting pregnant cat. hello dr.vet my cat was with a male 2 weeks ago yesterday she started to vomit 5... (5899 views)

Dog is licking where he was neutered. my dog is licking where he was neutered 3 years ago help asap... (7514 views)

Thin older cat. Dr. Marie, My cat is very thin although he eats every 1/2 hour, he has also... (11029 views)

Leaking anal glands. My dog has anal leakage. I had her glands expressed but she is still leaking. I... (44592 views)