Diarrhea question.

Breed: malamute hybrid
My 10 year old malamute just got up off the living room floor, leaving behind a puddle from his rear. It is foil smelling and very dark brown. Not at all red.

A similar thing happened last summer that the vet explained might have been from swallowing a shared of bone. That time however, it was pooring from his rectum and blood filled.

I'm very worried as I have noticed him behaving anxiously in the last 48 hours and leaving his food for hours. He has been eating and drinking though.

Please help. I love this dog and want to do what I need too. However, last time it was worse and I spent 5 hours in the middle of the night at the emergency vet and $1000.00 just to have him sent home with injected fluids. That was all they did.

Any ideas?

Sorry to hear that Skyler is having this problem. This is a tough one to answer without seeing your dog, but I can give you a few ideas.

First of all, if he is eating and drinking well then this is probably not anything too serious. What you are describing sounds like some nasty diarrhea. There are many possible causes but the most likely are from a change in food, a new treat or getting into something like the garbage.

If you think this is the case then Skyler may do ok with a 24 hour fast followed by small meals of chicken and rice.

If the stool looks really dark (like black) it is possible that there is something more serious like a stomach ulcer. However, if this was the case he likely wouldn't be eating.

It sounds like you don't need an emergency visit tonight as long as he is relatively comfortable. However, if he seems to be worse tomorrow or if there is no improvement in 48 hours then a vet visit is the best idea.

I hope this helps! And I hope your boy is feeling better soon!

I did just give him a brand new treat today; a nutri dog hip and joint chew w/ 200 mg glucosamine...I'm hoping that it's just a little digestion issue. It was black like blood stool, which is what it was before. It is like coffee colored brown.

I hope you are right and it's just a little quizy diarrhea. If his situation worsens, I will call the vet.

Should I forgo a short round the block walk tonight? Let him rest til tomorrow?

I would bet money that the treat is the culprit! Some dogs are very sensitive to any new addition to their diet.

I should mention as well, if there is a stomach ulcer which is causing the black/bloody stool the stool is usually very tarry.

Regarding the walk, I don't see a problem with going for a short walk tonight as long as he seems to want to go.

I will be heading offline now as it is bedtime for me, but if you have more concerns I'll be back on in the morning.

Hope all goes well!

thank you...

You're very welcome! I hope Skyler is feeling better this morning!

He seems to be doing better today. Question: I have some Net Nutri Plus Gluc/MSM chewables on the way to help with his hips...I'm worried they will cause this issue...is there anyway to introduce them w/out upsetting his digestive like this?

Glad to hear he is feeling better! I would wait to introduce the new chewables until he has been well for a few days. Then try just one treat and see how he does. As long as we introduce things gradually we should be ok.

Painful erection for dog. Help Dr Marie, My puppy is not neutered and three or four times I have found him... (18545 views)

Gradual change of food? Hello, I reside in South Korea and I am the father of 3 cocker spaniels. Recently... (9524 views)

Infected spay incision? Dear Dr.Marie, My cat Twiggy had spay surgery 2 days ago. She eats and sleeps... (18372 views)

Sick puppy. Our Westie puppy, Minnie, is 12 weeks old today. We got her 23 days ago. From Day... (11339 views)

Torn nail in cat. My cat snagged her nail on string and the string got stuck in the quick and cut it a... (13502 views)

Arthritis prevention. I have a VERY active 8-year-old German Wirehaired Pointer who LOVES to run. I know... (5747 views)

How long for Frontline to work An older cat has been living under my porch for a while. I am interested in bringing... (10385 views)

Heavy breathing in dog. My dog seems to be panting and breathing heavily quite often, almost all the time,... (16179 views)

Won't nurse puppies One week ago our Yorkie Maya had a litter of puppies. She gave birth to seven... (51881 views)

Uncomfortable cocker spaniel My 7 1/2 year old cocker spaniel came in from a walk last night with a stomach that... (43487 views)