Diarrhea question.

Breed: malamute hybrid
My 10 year old malamute just got up off the living room floor, leaving behind a puddle from his rear. It is foil smelling and very dark brown. Not at all red.

A similar thing happened last summer that the vet explained might have been from swallowing a shared of bone. That time however, it was pooring from his rectum and blood filled.

I'm very worried as I have noticed him behaving anxiously in the last 48 hours and leaving his food for hours. He has been eating and drinking though.

Please help. I love this dog and want to do what I need too. However, last time it was worse and I spent 5 hours in the middle of the night at the emergency vet and $1000.00 just to have him sent home with injected fluids. That was all they did.

Any ideas?

Sorry to hear that Skyler is having this problem. This is a tough one to answer without seeing your dog, but I can give you a few ideas.

First of all, if he is eating and drinking well then this is probably not anything too serious. What you are describing sounds like some nasty diarrhea. There are many possible causes but the most likely are from a change in food, a new treat or getting into something like the garbage.

If you think this is the case then Skyler may do ok with a 24 hour fast followed by small meals of chicken and rice.

If the stool looks really dark (like black) it is possible that there is something more serious like a stomach ulcer. However, if this was the case he likely wouldn't be eating.

It sounds like you don't need an emergency visit tonight as long as he is relatively comfortable. However, if he seems to be worse tomorrow or if there is no improvement in 48 hours then a vet visit is the best idea.

I hope this helps! And I hope your boy is feeling better soon!

I did just give him a brand new treat today; a nutri dog hip and joint chew w/ 200 mg glucosamine...I'm hoping that it's just a little digestion issue. It was black like blood stool, which is what it was before. It is like coffee colored brown.

I hope you are right and it's just a little quizy diarrhea. If his situation worsens, I will call the vet.

Should I forgo a short round the block walk tonight? Let him rest til tomorrow?

I would bet money that the treat is the culprit! Some dogs are very sensitive to any new addition to their diet.

I should mention as well, if there is a stomach ulcer which is causing the black/bloody stool the stool is usually very tarry.

Regarding the walk, I don't see a problem with going for a short walk tonight as long as he seems to want to go.

I will be heading offline now as it is bedtime for me, but if you have more concerns I'll be back on in the morning.

Hope all goes well!

thank you...

You're very welcome! I hope Skyler is feeling better this morning!

He seems to be doing better today. Question: I have some Net Nutri Plus Gluc/MSM chewables on the way to help with his hips...I'm worried they will cause this issue...is there anyway to introduce them w/out upsetting his digestive like this?

Glad to hear he is feeling better! I would wait to introduce the new chewables until he has been well for a few days. Then try just one treat and see how he does. As long as we introduce things gradually we should be ok.

When to separate pups? Hello, My pet has just given babies and i need to give those babies for... (7329 views)

Red spot near vulva. My six-year-old spayed, lab mix has a small red area near her vulva. She bites and... (22410 views)

Sneezing cat. My cat keeps sneezing and sometimes has watery eyes. It started today and. I googled... (19874 views)

Red bubble in corner of eye. My dog has a red membrane sticking out from the corner of his eye - kind of like a... (22720 views)

Best flea preventive for cats. Bella is an indoor/outdoor cat; free to roam during the day, but we keep her in at... (5059 views)

bloat in boerboels Hello. I'm currently looking at information about the boerboel. I'm thinking about... (10048 views)

Infected spay incision? My puppy was spade last Thursday and I'm worried her incision is not healing... (52921 views)

Cat died suddenly. Our cat just passed away suddenly last night. She was about 4 years old, and... (9763 views)

Neomycin dangerous to cats? by fault i wish i hadn't, i gave my cat eardrops containing neomycin (i only gave... (16239 views)

How long for Frontline to work An older cat has been living under my porch for a while. I am interested in bringing... (9320 views)