Dog ate chocolate?

ask a vet

Diarrhea question.

Species: Dog
Breed: malamute hybrid
Age: 8-11 years
My 10 year old malamute just got up off the living room floor, leaving behind a puddle from his rear. It is foil smelling and very dark brown. Not at all red.

A similar thing happened last summer that the vet explained might have been from swallowing a shared of bone. That time however, it was pooring from his rectum and blood filled.

I'm very worried as I have noticed him behaving anxiously in the last 48 hours and leaving his food for hours. He has been eating and drinking though.

Please help. I love this dog and want to do what I need too. However, last time it was worse and I spent 5 hours in the middle of the night at the emergency vet and $1000.00 just to have him sent home with injected fluids. That was all they did.

Any ideas?





Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Sorry to hear that Skyler is having this problem. This is a tough one to answer without seeing your dog, but I can give you a few ideas.

First of all, if he is eating and drinking well then this is probably not anything too serious. What you are describing sounds like some nasty diarrhea. There are many possible causes but the most likely are from a change in food, a new treat or getting into something like the garbage.

If you think this is the case then Skyler may do ok with a 24 hour fast followed by small meals of chicken and rice.

If the stool looks really dark (like black) it is possible that there is something more serious like a stomach ulcer. However, if this was the case he likely wouldn't be eating.

It sounds like you don't need an emergency visit tonight as long as he is relatively comfortable. However, if he seems to be worse tomorrow or if there is no improvement in 48 hours then a vet visit is the best idea.

I hope this helps! And I hope your boy is feeling better soon!

Dr. Marie.


Do you have a pet website? Interested in learning more about SEO for Wix?


Check out our dog age calculator and cat age calculator.

Want to receive pet coupons, vet advice and info on new pet products in your inbox?

* indicates required

We'll only send you great stuff, never spam. Unsubscribe any time.

Disclaimer: Although Dr. Marie is a qualified veterinarian, the information found on this site is not meant to replace the advice of your own veterinarian. AskAVetQuestion.com and Dr. Marie do not accept any responsibility for any loss, damage, injury, death, or disease which may arise from reliance on information contained on this site. Do not use information found on this site for diagnosing or treating your pet. Anything you read here is for information only.

Customer reply:

I did just give him a brand new treat today; a nutri dog hip and joint chew w/ 200 mg glucosamine...I'm hoping that it's just a little digestion issue. It was black like blood stool, which is what it was before. It is like coffee colored brown.

I hope you are right and it's just a little quizy diarrhea. If his situation worsens, I will call the vet.

Should I forgo a short round the block walk tonight? Let him rest til tomorrow?



Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

I would bet money that the treat is the culprit! Some dogs are very sensitive to any new addition to their diet.

I should mention as well, if there is a stomach ulcer which is causing the black/bloody stool the stool is usually very tarry.

Regarding the walk, I don't see a problem with going for a short walk tonight as long as he seems to want to go.

I will be heading offline now as it is bedtime for me, but if you have more concerns I'll be back on in the morning.

Hope all goes well!
Dr. Marie.



Customer reply:

thank you...


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

You're very welcome! I hope Skyler is feeling better this morning!



Customer reply:

He seems to be doing better today. Question: I have some Net Nutri Plus Gluc/MSM chewables on the way to help with his hips...I'm worried they will cause this issue...is there anyway to introduce them w/out upsetting his digestive like this?


Online vet, Dr. Marie

Dr. Marie replied:

Glad to hear he is feeling better! I would wait to introduce the new chewables until he has been well for a few days. Then try just one treat and see how he does. As long as we introduce things gradually we should be ok.



Search for similar questions:

ask a vet

Popular questions...

Lump on dog's foot. Hello, my 12 month old female boxer has a small pink lump on her toe/paw. I noticed... (28821 views)

Mom misses puppies. Our boxer had 2 pups both died, she has taken on a stuffed animal replacement but is... (9625 views)

Walking on tip toes. my dog got hit with a car about 4 months ago she suffered no broken bones but when... (12931 views)

Dog died suddenly. My dog Piper, suddenly died today for no apparent reason. She has been... (22387 views)

Can an older cat be groomed? I have been getting Lily groomed twice a year since she was 1. She is getting older... (5652 views)

Dog's penis is stuck out of sheath. Hi, Ive noticed my 7 month male yorkie has started to lick himself a lot "down... (107528 views)

Dental cleaning extend dog's life? My Pug Chocko has a tooth that feels loose. I think it's his lower central incisor... (7546 views)

Green discharge post whelping. is it normal for my dog to have greenish pee and black clumps after she gave birth?... (21267 views)

Time for euthanasia? I am trying to make the decision on putting my dog down. She no long is herself and... (18166 views)

Double dose Metacam. We accidently gave our dog two doses of metacam. He is 80 pounds. We give him 1.5... (56283 views)

See all questions...

Dr. MarieDr. Marie is a veterinarian who practices in a busy animal hospital in Ottawa, Ontario. She created Ask A Vet Question as a resource for good, accurate veterinary advice online. Dr. Marie treats dogs, cats, hamsters, guinea pigs, and rats. She has been a vet since 1999.

Is an online vet visit just as good as a trip to your veterinarian? No! But, many times, asking an online veterinarian a question can help save you money. While Dr. Marie can't officially diagnose your pet or prescribe medications, she can often advise you on whether a vet visit is necessary. You can also ask Dr. Marie for a second opinion on your pet's condition.