Howling and very sick.

Breed: He looks like a Russ
My 13 year old male cat, since yesterday is sick, and I don't know why. Yesterday he was at the top of the stairs howling (like they do for mating, or calling another cat, baby cry sound) he never does this. Since then a little over 24 hours ago, he won't eat, will drink water, but very little, and when he tries to stand he wobbles and lays back down. Sometimes after he's howled, he's thrown up, once only it looked like a very small furball, the other times he pukes up water or saliva type stuff. He's an indoor cat so he hasn't been into anything outside. he was his usual self the night before. This was all of a sudden. Could it be a very huge furball that won't come up? He's not really a long haired cat nor is he a short haired cat, kinda in between. The color of what he threw up that I'm thinking is part of a furball is gray like his fur, and like the furballs he usually gets up. I don't want to lose my cat, he is generally healthy all the time. If I could afford to take him to the vet right now I would, as you can see I could only afford the $5.00 bump up or I would have spent the $15.00 for a fast answer. Time is very important here since he won't eat and can't stand up. Never seen anyting like this before. I hope you can give me some kind of advise, or something to try. Like i said he howl's only sometimes but is usually followed with trying to throw up, and when he does it's watery. I'm so very scared for him, he's my baby. What can I do for him, please!!!!! Thank you so very much in advance for any help you might be able to offer me. My heart is hurting, can you help my little Milo??
Thank you,

Victoria Lawson & Milo

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

I'm sorry to hear that Milo is not well!

Is he urinating ok? Often when cats have symptoms of yowling, not eating, and difficulty walking it can be because of a urinary tract blockage. If he has a urinary tract blockage then you should be noticing him visiting the box often trying to pee and also licking at his penis.

Unfortunately if this is a urinary tract blockage then this is really serious and needs emergency vet treatment.

I have seen cats have similar symptoms if they are constipated as well. While constipation is less life threatening than a urinary tract blockage, again, there is no at home treatment.

There are some cats that can have very loud meowing just before they vomit and it might be that there is nothing serious going on. However, from what you have described I do think that this is something serious. I don't like it when a cat won't eat or drink.

Another possibility for these symptoms is something called a saddle thrombus, or in medical terms an aortoiliac trhombosis. This happens when a blood clot forms and affects blood supply to the back legs. Have a feel of his front feet and back feet. Are the back feet cold? If so, this could be what is going on.

Unfortunately a saddle thrombus is very serious and even with treatment most cats do not survive for long.

I really wish I could give you some advice on what to do at home, but it sounds like Milo does need to see a vet right away.

If you are having trouble paying for vet bills, you may want to look into Carecredit.com and Medicard.com which are companies that help people to finance vet visits.

I really hope the little guy is ok!

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Abdominal mass in a cat. My husband and I put down our Ivy today. It was rather sudden and unexpected and... (25636 views)

Infection in neuter incision? My dog got neutered 10 days ago (Aug 9th) and in a distracted moment he licked the... (30125 views)

Black spot on dog's chest. My Dog recently got this black spot on her chest. When I first looked at it, it... (13804 views)

Cat died suddenly. Our cat just passed away suddenly last night. She was about 4 years old, and... (6787 views)

Leaking anal glands. My dog has anal leakage. I had her glands expressed but she is still leaking. I... (27708 views)

Dog has lost her voice. What could cause this? It's come on gradually for about 3 months. When she tries to... (10465 views)

Dog died after surgery. On Saturday evening my daughters 6 month old dog swallowed a needle which got her... (8917 views)

Kitten nursing on my neck. why does my 8 to 10 month old kitty keep trying to suckle at my neck. He will not... (9505 views)

Bleeding anal glands. My dog has been having blood drip from his rear. My vet has expressed his anal... (4371 views)

Popcorn in dog's stool? My dog had something that looked like a popped popcorn kernel at the end of his... (6497 views)