Howling and very sick.

Breed: He looks like a Russ
My 13 year old male cat, since yesterday is sick, and I don't know why. Yesterday he was at the top of the stairs howling (like they do for mating, or calling another cat, baby cry sound) he never does this. Since then a little over 24 hours ago, he won't eat, will drink water, but very little, and when he tries to stand he wobbles and lays back down. Sometimes after he's howled, he's thrown up, once only it looked like a very small furball, the other times he pukes up water or saliva type stuff. He's an indoor cat so he hasn't been into anything outside. he was his usual self the night before. This was all of a sudden. Could it be a very huge furball that won't come up? He's not really a long haired cat nor is he a short haired cat, kinda in between. The color of what he threw up that I'm thinking is part of a furball is gray like his fur, and like the furballs he usually gets up. I don't want to lose my cat, he is generally healthy all the time. If I could afford to take him to the vet right now I would, as you can see I could only afford the $5.00 bump up or I would have spent the $15.00 for a fast answer. Time is very important here since he won't eat and can't stand up. Never seen anyting like this before. I hope you can give me some kind of advise, or something to try. Like i said he howl's only sometimes but is usually followed with trying to throw up, and when he does it's watery. I'm so very scared for him, he's my baby. What can I do for him, please!!!!! Thank you so very much in advance for any help you might be able to offer me. My heart is hurting, can you help my little Milo??
Thank you,

Victoria Lawson & Milo

I'm sorry to hear that Milo is not well!

Is he urinating ok? Often when cats have symptoms of yowling, not eating, and difficulty walking it can be because of a urinary tract blockage. If he has a urinary tract blockage then you should be noticing him visiting the box often trying to pee and also licking at his penis.

Unfortunately if this is a urinary tract blockage then this is really serious and needs emergency vet treatment.

I have seen cats have similar symptoms if they are constipated as well. While constipation is less life threatening than a urinary tract blockage, again, there is no at home treatment.

There are some cats that can have very loud meowing just before they vomit and it might be that there is nothing serious going on. However, from what you have described I do think that this is something serious. I don't like it when a cat won't eat or drink.

Another possibility for these symptoms is something called a saddle thrombus, or in medical terms an aortoiliac trhombosis. This happens when a blood clot forms and affects blood supply to the back legs. Have a feel of his front feet and back feet. Are the back feet cold? If so, this could be what is going on.

Unfortunately a saddle thrombus is very serious and even with treatment most cats do not survive for long.

I really wish I could give you some advice on what to do at home, but it sounds like Milo does need to see a vet right away.

If you are having trouble paying for vet bills, you may want to look into Carecredit.com and Medicard.com which are companies that help people to finance vet visits.

I really hope the little guy is ok!

Hypothermic dog. Two days ago my black lab pup fell threw some ice, he was in the water for about 5... (8994 views)

FIV positive and diarrhea. Hi Dr. Marie - I took in a semi feral cat about six weeks ago. He is FIV+. He has... (15395 views)

Cat has flaky skin. My Maine Coon, Nino has had flaky skin for quite awhile. I had him at the vet a few... (8152 views)

Infection in neuter incision? My dog got neutered 10 days ago (Aug 9th) and in a distracted moment he licked the... (54258 views)

Foods unsafe for dogs? Hi Dr. Marie, I have a 6 year old Shih Tzu. I have given him human food his... (8384 views)

Bad odor from dog's behind. I have a border Collie-lab male 4 year old dog. About a week go I noticed that my... (12386 views)

Black lump under cat's eye. Few months ago, there is a small tiny transparent bubble grow under the skin below... (15975 views)

Megacolon cat with problems. Addie was diagnosed with megacolon at age 2. The vet prescribed medications - I... (8468 views)

Puppy vomiting with blood. my puppy was born on december 18, she was born a normal pup but now she and her... (8047 views)

Treat for fleas same day as spay? I just had my puppy spayed. She came home with fleas. How long do I have to wait... (12085 views)