Infected wound?

Breed: Egyptian Mau mix, bl
Hi, my cat is indoor and outdoor (she has the face of an Egyptian Mau & its head structure) and it got attacked by some sort of animal outside... my mom insists that it was another cat, but no one saw exactly what happened. The hair behind the nape of her neck, between her scapula on the dorsal side was missing. It's around a 1 inch diameter of hair missing, 2 inches lengthwise (in the head to tail direction), in an oval shape. It just showed her white skin beneath the hair at first (like something pulled out her hair) but after a week, it became pinkish and the edges look jagged and has become pinkish/reddish and looks irritated. She constantly licks it. Topically, my dad put neosporin on it but she licked it off. Yesterday I put an antibacterial cat spray on it (from petsmart) and it looks a little improved today but she walks as if it's painful. Could you please help us?

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear that Asher has been injured.

From what you are describing I am concerned that there could be some infection. If there was just white skin and fur missing then I wouldn't be too worried. If the pink edges occurred a day or two later then I would think that this is just bruising. However, if you are seeing pink edges a week later this probably means that there is some infection present.

Neosporin or any other antibacterial sprays or creams are rarely strong enough to deal with infection, especially if the infection is from a bite. Unfortunately this sounds like a case where you will need to see your vet to get the wound assessed and probably get some oral antibiotics (pills).

Until you get there, if Asher will allow for it you can rinse the area with a gentle stream of warm water a few times a day and this will help. But, if there is an infection from an animal bite then there really isn't a home remedy that is going to cure her.

Hope things improve soon!

Lump on ferret's face. My daughters feret has a lump on it's cheek. At first it did not grow fast , but now... (8261 views)

Lump on dog's neck. Hi Dr Marie We have a 4 year old female mixed breed dog. Two years ago she had a... (21076 views)

Vomiting and congested. Got a new kitten Older cat now is throwing up saliva in its mouth and has now... (18357 views)

Urinary problems and fleas. hi dr i have 2 cockers a male and a female both are house broken but thay been... (7381 views)

Need spanish to be a vet? I am wishing to go into the veterinary workforce, and I would love to know if you... (10829 views)

Puppy breathing hard. Tucker is only 8 weeks old, I can't get his needles until this Tues. I think he has... (12596 views)

Are these lymph nodes? I noticed about 2 days ago my 4yr old cat looked like a chipmunk. I felt around her... (9673 views)

Cat with a cold. My cat has a cold, and i was wondering if there is anything i can do at home for her... (16165 views)

Cat with asthma. My cat sam is 9 yrs old. he weighs about 16 pounds. He has coughing spells about 3... (7240 views)

Young dog with loose stool. I fed my dog PURINA and switched quickly to ORIJEN 6 FISH. Dogs stool became... (11303 views)