Infected wound?

Breed: Egyptian Mau mix, bl
Hi, my cat is indoor and outdoor (she has the face of an Egyptian Mau & its head structure) and it got attacked by some sort of animal outside... my mom insists that it was another cat, but no one saw exactly what happened. The hair behind the nape of her neck, between her scapula on the dorsal side was missing. It's around a 1 inch diameter of hair missing, 2 inches lengthwise (in the head to tail direction), in an oval shape. It just showed her white skin beneath the hair at first (like something pulled out her hair) but after a week, it became pinkish and the edges look jagged and has become pinkish/reddish and looks irritated. She constantly licks it. Topically, my dad put neosporin on it but she licked it off. Yesterday I put an antibacterial cat spray on it (from petsmart) and it looks a little improved today but she walks as if it's painful. Could you please help us?

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear that Asher has been injured.

From what you are describing I am concerned that there could be some infection. If there was just white skin and fur missing then I wouldn't be too worried. If the pink edges occurred a day or two later then I would think that this is just bruising. However, if you are seeing pink edges a week later this probably means that there is some infection present.

Neosporin or any other antibacterial sprays or creams are rarely strong enough to deal with infection, especially if the infection is from a bite. Unfortunately this sounds like a case where you will need to see your vet to get the wound assessed and probably get some oral antibiotics (pills).

Until you get there, if Asher will allow for it you can rinse the area with a gentle stream of warm water a few times a day and this will help. But, if there is an infection from an animal bite then there really isn't a home remedy that is going to cure her.

Hope things improve soon!

Trouble moving. Firts, I am owner of 3 dogs~ Last Saturday we found a small tick on buddy. He... (12846 views)

Crusty ears on a cat. My just over 3 month old, 100% indoor kitten has some crustiness on both tip/edge of... (27968 views)

Cushing's and panting. I saw where you advised a person on dog breathing problems, that is could be... (44720 views)

Paralyzed dog now walking Emma's back legs have been paralyzed for almost 6 weeks. I took her to the vet and... (10232 views)

Dog losing weight. my king charles is losing weight, ive tried al different kinds of wet and dry food... (9024 views)

First heat cycle in dogs. when do chiuahuahs have their first heat... (10360 views)

Feeding chicken liver to dogs. I feed Petey a high quality dry dog food in the morning, but I enjoy cooking his... (68526 views)

Cat's tail fell off. My cat is a male, seven year old, siamese crossed with ginger named Skittles. Around... (48193 views)

Cat puffing its hair out. Is there other reasons besides a cat trying to make itself look big for a fight that... (16065 views)

Need spanish to be a vet? I am wishing to go into the veterinary workforce, and I would love to know if you... (13038 views)