Infected wound?

Breed: Egyptian Mau mix, bl
Hi, my cat is indoor and outdoor (she has the face of an Egyptian Mau & its head structure) and it got attacked by some sort of animal outside... my mom insists that it was another cat, but no one saw exactly what happened. The hair behind the nape of her neck, between her scapula on the dorsal side was missing. It's around a 1 inch diameter of hair missing, 2 inches lengthwise (in the head to tail direction), in an oval shape. It just showed her white skin beneath the hair at first (like something pulled out her hair) but after a week, it became pinkish and the edges look jagged and has become pinkish/reddish and looks irritated. She constantly licks it. Topically, my dad put neosporin on it but she licked it off. Yesterday I put an antibacterial cat spray on it (from petsmart) and it looks a little improved today but she walks as if it's painful. Could you please help us?

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear that Asher has been injured.

From what you are describing I am concerned that there could be some infection. If there was just white skin and fur missing then I wouldn't be too worried. If the pink edges occurred a day or two later then I would think that this is just bruising. However, if you are seeing pink edges a week later this probably means that there is some infection present.

Neosporin or any other antibacterial sprays or creams are rarely strong enough to deal with infection, especially if the infection is from a bite. Unfortunately this sounds like a case where you will need to see your vet to get the wound assessed and probably get some oral antibiotics (pills).

Until you get there, if Asher will allow for it you can rinse the area with a gentle stream of warm water a few times a day and this will help. But, if there is an infection from an animal bite then there really isn't a home remedy that is going to cure her.

Hope things improve soon!

Lab has a lump on his muzzle. We took our 2 1/2 year old female lab to Bradshaw Vet for a lump on her muzzle. I... (14713 views)

Vomiting and trouble with urination and stool. My 5 year old goldendoodle vomited (not food regurgitation) this morning, is trying... (28438 views)

My kitten died. Hi Dr Marie, We came home on Sunday after a night away (less than 24 hours) to... (14905 views)

Grove snail care. Dear Dr. Marie, Hi. My snail has been burying himself lately, so whenever I want... (15549 views)

Puppy died and had fluid in lungs. Hi Dr. Marie, My case is probally irrelevant now since my 14 weeks puppy(american... (19458 views)

Addison's disease. I had almost the same experience as the person who wrote you about losing their dog... (21131 views)

Cat drinks from fish bowl. Hi! My cat isn't(as far as I can tell) sick at all, but rather I'm wondering... (54825 views)

Puppy sleeps all the time. Hi, We just got our puppy Marley on Sunday, 16. He is eating and drinking, and is 7... (12294 views)

Large blister on ear. MY DOG HAS WHAT LOOKS AND FEELS LIKE A LARGE WATER BLISTER ON HIS EAR WHAT COULD IT... (21084 views)

Cat losing hair on neck and ears. My cat Bella is always throwing up hairballs. I also noticed that she has lost fur... (14576 views)