Infected wound?

Breed: Egyptian Mau mix, bl
Hi, my cat is indoor and outdoor (she has the face of an Egyptian Mau & its head structure) and it got attacked by some sort of animal outside... my mom insists that it was another cat, but no one saw exactly what happened. The hair behind the nape of her neck, between her scapula on the dorsal side was missing. It's around a 1 inch diameter of hair missing, 2 inches lengthwise (in the head to tail direction), in an oval shape. It just showed her white skin beneath the hair at first (like something pulled out her hair) but after a week, it became pinkish and the edges look jagged and has become pinkish/reddish and looks irritated. She constantly licks it. Topically, my dad put neosporin on it but she licked it off. Yesterday I put an antibacterial cat spray on it (from petsmart) and it looks a little improved today but she walks as if it's painful. Could you please help us?

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear that Asher has been injured.

From what you are describing I am concerned that there could be some infection. If there was just white skin and fur missing then I wouldn't be too worried. If the pink edges occurred a day or two later then I would think that this is just bruising. However, if you are seeing pink edges a week later this probably means that there is some infection present.

Neosporin or any other antibacterial sprays or creams are rarely strong enough to deal with infection, especially if the infection is from a bite. Unfortunately this sounds like a case where you will need to see your vet to get the wound assessed and probably get some oral antibiotics (pills).

Until you get there, if Asher will allow for it you can rinse the area with a gentle stream of warm water a few times a day and this will help. But, if there is an infection from an animal bite then there really isn't a home remedy that is going to cure her.

Hope things improve soon!

Hole on puppy's head. My german shepherd gave birth to 9 puppies on June 19, however 1 pup came out with a... (15285 views)

Bassett hound neck pain, etc. Our dog Lola came to us as a stray about 3 yrs ago. She is about 7 years old and... (12736 views)

Wobbly after seizure. hello, I have a 4 year old husky mix who is epelectic. Hes on phenobarbital and... (39498 views)

IVDD in Basset Hound? Frank has had a very hard stomach for 2.5 days now and he is not drinking much... (39119 views)

Pink growths on chest of dog. Sometime in the past 4 weeks my dog has developed small string like pink growths on... (15149 views)

Constantly meowing for food. Two years ago, we adopted a stray cat that was living in the bushes outside our... (6217 views)

Vulvar tumor thank you for your reply to my first question about my cat who died from a vulval... (7211 views)

Sores on dog's nose. Dr. Marie- Our dog has been breaking out in sore/boil/blister type bumps on his... (81038 views)

Puppy not gaining weight. my puppy is one month old and is not gaining any weight and is not active not eating... (9609 views)

Cat howling at night. Our 25 yo orange tiger stripe male developed kidney failure and we had to make the... (8877 views)