Infected wound?

Breed: Egyptian Mau mix, bl
Hi, my cat is indoor and outdoor (she has the face of an Egyptian Mau & its head structure) and it got attacked by some sort of animal outside... my mom insists that it was another cat, but no one saw exactly what happened. The hair behind the nape of her neck, between her scapula on the dorsal side was missing. It's around a 1 inch diameter of hair missing, 2 inches lengthwise (in the head to tail direction), in an oval shape. It just showed her white skin beneath the hair at first (like something pulled out her hair) but after a week, it became pinkish and the edges look jagged and has become pinkish/reddish and looks irritated. She constantly licks it. Topically, my dad put neosporin on it but she licked it off. Yesterday I put an antibacterial cat spray on it (from petsmart) and it looks a little improved today but she walks as if it's painful. Could you please help us?

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear that Asher has been injured.

From what you are describing I am concerned that there could be some infection. If there was just white skin and fur missing then I wouldn't be too worried. If the pink edges occurred a day or two later then I would think that this is just bruising. However, if you are seeing pink edges a week later this probably means that there is some infection present.

Neosporin or any other antibacterial sprays or creams are rarely strong enough to deal with infection, especially if the infection is from a bite. Unfortunately this sounds like a case where you will need to see your vet to get the wound assessed and probably get some oral antibiotics (pills).

Until you get there, if Asher will allow for it you can rinse the area with a gentle stream of warm water a few times a day and this will help. But, if there is an infection from an animal bite then there really isn't a home remedy that is going to cure her.

Hope things improve soon!

Black spot or scab on dog's nose. Hello I noticed a few days ago my beagle has a black bump above his snout, my sister... (35732 views)

Can dogs get colds? Lady is currently still at a pet store but she is a sweet puppy and we've had our... (7649 views)

Alternative to fluid pills. What can be done about getting rid of fluid in my dog other than fluid pills?... (9555 views)

Bloody diarrhea in small dog. I recently purchased a new Maltese puppy. When we brought him home he had some... (15668 views)

Drinking and urinating more. my dog is drinking so much water lately.and she is also leaving large wet spots on... (6919 views)

Cut on ear. Hi Dr. Marie, My dog was attacked by a collie two days ago. They were just... (34449 views)

Thiamine deficiency? My cat has Thiamine deficiency from Wellness pet food. Are the effects for the... (7630 views)

Brown bugs over top of tail. Dear Dr. Marie: I HAVE A CAT, IT HAS BROWN BUG AND SCAB AT THE DORSAL ASPECT OF... (10384 views)

Bladder cancer. Our almost 10 year old kitty has had three recurrent bouts of uti or cystitis in the... (5875 views)

Aggressive cat My cat attacked me out of the blue today. This is very much out of character for... (23144 views)