Neuter at 8 weeks?

Breed: Unknown
We are trying to decide when to get our male kitten spayed. He is around 2 months old now (was a rescue, so not sure of exact age). There seems to be a lot of debate about whether to desex early, or later.

Living in a rural area of Canada, one of his jobs will be as a mouser, and my concern would be that early desexing (and removal of testosterone), would result in him being less muscular, and more timid, thus making him ineffective in this role.

There are almost no other cats within a long distance so issues of fighting over territory, or impregnating females is not a concern.

What are the main long-term physiological differences between a male cat desexed early vs late? Which do you recommend in this case?

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

I usually recommend neutering a male cat at 5-6 months of age. By this age he is young enough that he has not reached maturity yet. So, you don't need to worry about him developing bad habits like spraying.

There are some humane societies that will still do early spays and neuters (i.e. at 8 weeks) in order to make sure that a cat is neutered before he gets adopted. However, I do believe that there have been studies that show that this slightly increases the risk of urinary tract blockages later on in life. (The thought is that the cat may have a smaller urethra.)

I would not recommend waiting until after 6 months (i.e. for him to develop some testosterone.) If he develops a bad habit like spraying then this could remain with him even after neutering. He really should still be a good mouser without testosterone. Mousing is more about natural instinct than hormones.

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Cat with megacolon. My 12-year old cat was diagnosed with megacolon about five years ago. When he looks... (4245 views)

Large black mole on dog. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m kind of worried because my dog, a Labrador retriever he has... (23853 views)

Hamster hair loss. Hello, My daughters hamster keeps loosing big patches of his fur and also his eyes... (6893 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea with blood. Our family pet has been vomitting all day and there seemed to be blood in it and... (6343 views)

Cat with weeping skin. I have a young cat (about a year and a half) that I found (and finally managed to... (5552 views)

Aural Hematoma my 12 yr old italian greyhound's ear is puffy. not the inner ear but the ear itself.... (7632 views)

Rat with red tears and increased thirst. I have a pet rat, almost 1. Shes been healthy her whole life, just had this weird... (6486 views)

Swollen ear. My cats right inner ear just started turning like bruised, black & blue. Inner ear,... (8297 views)

Cat has lump on neck. hi dr marie my cat abby has been bitten or posioned on her neck first it was a big... (9990 views)

Do dogs get chicken pox? Hi my dog star has never had skin problems but recently my kids got chicken pox and... (38282 views)