Neuter at 8 weeks?

Breed: Unknown
We are trying to decide when to get our male kitten spayed. He is around 2 months old now (was a rescue, so not sure of exact age). There seems to be a lot of debate about whether to desex early, or later.

Living in a rural area of Canada, one of his jobs will be as a mouser, and my concern would be that early desexing (and removal of testosterone), would result in him being less muscular, and more timid, thus making him ineffective in this role.

There are almost no other cats within a long distance so issues of fighting over territory, or impregnating females is not a concern.

What are the main long-term physiological differences between a male cat desexed early vs late? Which do you recommend in this case?

I usually recommend neutering a male cat at 5-6 months of age. By this age he is young enough that he has not reached maturity yet. So, you don't need to worry about him developing bad habits like spraying.

There are some humane societies that will still do early spays and neuters (i.e. at 8 weeks) in order to make sure that a cat is neutered before he gets adopted. However, I do believe that there have been studies that show that this slightly increases the risk of urinary tract blockages later on in life. (The thought is that the cat may have a smaller urethra.)

I would not recommend waiting until after 6 months (i.e. for him to develop some testosterone.) If he develops a bad habit like spraying then this could remain with him even after neutering. He really should still be a good mouser without testosterone. Mousing is more about natural instinct than hormones.

Lump near penis. I have a one year old male dashund dog. He got all his shots. For two days he... (10169 views)

Not sure if first shots done. I just bought a 7 week old pomeranian from a local family. They told me he has had... (39082 views)

6 month puppy drinks a lot. I got Bentley at 3 months old. Since the beginning I always felt as if he was... (31450 views)

Wheezing dog. My dog wheezes just after going on a walk with me and then proceeds to act sick or... (8374 views)

I'm out of prednisone. Sammy has been on 2.5mg of prednisone per day for the past two years for... (16960 views)

Swelling on neck. I just noticed that when my dog barks the right side of her neck swells about 1-2... (5705 views)

Problems after anesthetic. My cat was put on anesthia for the blood draw, which was not approved by me. This... (24220 views)

Incontinence she will be lying on the floor and she just pees and does not know or realize she... (9543 views)

Puppy ate Imodium We think our 11-week-old puppy ate an Imodium. He weighs 6.5 pounds. Do we need to... (26910 views)

In heat and shaking her head. My dog has been vomiting and had diarrhea for the last 2-3 days. She has been in... (6047 views)