Neuter at 8 weeks?

Breed: Unknown
We are trying to decide when to get our male kitten spayed. He is around 2 months old now (was a rescue, so not sure of exact age). There seems to be a lot of debate about whether to desex early, or later.

Living in a rural area of Canada, one of his jobs will be as a mouser, and my concern would be that early desexing (and removal of testosterone), would result in him being less muscular, and more timid, thus making him ineffective in this role.

There are almost no other cats within a long distance so issues of fighting over territory, or impregnating females is not a concern.

What are the main long-term physiological differences between a male cat desexed early vs late? Which do you recommend in this case?

I usually recommend neutering a male cat at 5-6 months of age. By this age he is young enough that he has not reached maturity yet. So, you don't need to worry about him developing bad habits like spraying.

There are some humane societies that will still do early spays and neuters (i.e. at 8 weeks) in order to make sure that a cat is neutered before he gets adopted. However, I do believe that there have been studies that show that this slightly increases the risk of urinary tract blockages later on in life. (The thought is that the cat may have a smaller urethra.)

I would not recommend waiting until after 6 months (i.e. for him to develop some testosterone.) If he develops a bad habit like spraying then this could remain with him even after neutering. He really should still be a good mouser without testosterone. Mousing is more about natural instinct than hormones.

Can I use Trifexis now? The flea population is horrible in WV this year, like most of the eastern US. We... (12969 views)

Kitten was hit by a car. Hello. I would really appreciate if you could help with this situation. My kitten... (9283 views)

Liver infections in cat. My 13 year old cat has had at least 3 serious, life threatening liver infections... (6765 views)

Cat with painful lump. my outside cat just recently got a big lump on the right side of his stomach and he... (16027 views)

Cat aggressive with new kitten. I just got a new kitten but one of the cats in my house is attacking him. Ever... (13695 views)

Urinating in house. Bella has started urinating in places other than her litter box. She has not been... (4460 views)

Cat with bloody diarrhea iam also a vet from pakistan.i want to ask that if a cat has bloody diarrhoea;wat i... (6887 views)

Is diaphragmatic hernia causing problems? My 15 year old doggie, Pepper has been diagnosed with a diaphragmatic hernia & the... (5518 views)

Does my cat have a hernia? Hi, My cat was operated on Thursday. My vet suspected that there may have been a... (24060 views)

Bump on dog's ear. I noticed that the flap of my dog's ear has this pimple like bump on it. you can't... (19185 views)