Neuter at 8 weeks?

Breed: Unknown
We are trying to decide when to get our male kitten spayed. He is around 2 months old now (was a rescue, so not sure of exact age). There seems to be a lot of debate about whether to desex early, or later.

Living in a rural area of Canada, one of his jobs will be as a mouser, and my concern would be that early desexing (and removal of testosterone), would result in him being less muscular, and more timid, thus making him ineffective in this role.

There are almost no other cats within a long distance so issues of fighting over territory, or impregnating females is not a concern.

What are the main long-term physiological differences between a male cat desexed early vs late? Which do you recommend in this case?

I usually recommend neutering a male cat at 5-6 months of age. By this age he is young enough that he has not reached maturity yet. So, you don't need to worry about him developing bad habits like spraying.

There are some humane societies that will still do early spays and neuters (i.e. at 8 weeks) in order to make sure that a cat is neutered before he gets adopted. However, I do believe that there have been studies that show that this slightly increases the risk of urinary tract blockages later on in life. (The thought is that the cat may have a smaller urethra.)

I would not recommend waiting until after 6 months (i.e. for him to develop some testosterone.) If he develops a bad habit like spraying then this could remain with him even after neutering. He really should still be a good mouser without testosterone. Mousing is more about natural instinct than hormones.

Floppy ear in German Shepherd. Hello my name is nick and i have a purebred west german shepherd from working lines.... (17091 views)

Dog can't pee. I was outside today and I looked over at my dog. He bent over to pee but no pee... (11635 views)

Leaking anal glands. My dog has anal leakage. I had her glands expressed but she is still leaking. I... (35673 views)

Snorted out vaccine. Hello Dr. Marie....Rianna had her booster for Bordatella first of October..she has... (7386 views)

UTI and straining. I have a feral cat that hangs around my workplace. I have had him neutered. He also... (9943 views)

Lump on dog's side after fight. Hi there, I have a Chihuahua mix who has this huge, loose swelling on his side. He's... (4295 views)

Tug of war caused hernia? Can playing tug of war with a male dog cause a... (3188 views)

Panting and shaking cat. Hi, My female cat is just over 15 years old. This morning she woke up... (12465 views)

Is my cat in heat? i have a female cat who is 1 1/2 years old she isn't spayed and has gone in heat... (7600 views)

Pit bull with rash. My dog has a bumpy red rash on her inner hip area,around her tail and her private... (6378 views)