Neuter at 8 weeks?

Breed: Unknown
We are trying to decide when to get our male kitten spayed. He is around 2 months old now (was a rescue, so not sure of exact age). There seems to be a lot of debate about whether to desex early, or later.

Living in a rural area of Canada, one of his jobs will be as a mouser, and my concern would be that early desexing (and removal of testosterone), would result in him being less muscular, and more timid, thus making him ineffective in this role.

There are almost no other cats within a long distance so issues of fighting over territory, or impregnating females is not a concern.

What are the main long-term physiological differences between a male cat desexed early vs late? Which do you recommend in this case?

I usually recommend neutering a male cat at 5-6 months of age. By this age he is young enough that he has not reached maturity yet. So, you don't need to worry about him developing bad habits like spraying.

There are some humane societies that will still do early spays and neuters (i.e. at 8 weeks) in order to make sure that a cat is neutered before he gets adopted. However, I do believe that there have been studies that show that this slightly increases the risk of urinary tract blockages later on in life. (The thought is that the cat may have a smaller urethra.)

I would not recommend waiting until after 6 months (i.e. for him to develop some testosterone.) If he develops a bad habit like spraying then this could remain with him even after neutering. He really should still be a good mouser without testosterone. Mousing is more about natural instinct than hormones.

Large lymph nodes. I spoke with you on sunday night about my shih tzu., I brought him to the vet on... (20273 views)

Cat fell off balcony. i was gone out of town for a couple of days and i live in the first floor up, i... (16678 views)

Draining fluid for heart failure. My dog has Congestive Heart Failure. He is under the care of a veterinarian and... (12827 views)

Bite wound not healing. My dog was attacked on the weekend and had a puncture wound on her left shoulder.... (15798 views)

Can't use back legs. In the past 7 months my dog has had 2 "episodes". First, in September 2010 he had... (29512 views)

Medication for aggressive dog? Hi! We adopted a 2.5 year old male white shepherd/lab, Denver, almost a year ago. At... (6255 views)

Lip fold pyoderma. I have suddenly noticed that Blue has an area of bright red, raw skin on both sides... (9347 views)

Both dogs having seizures I have 2 dogs. Molly the mixbreed started acting strange about a week ago. not... (9051 views)

Popcorn in dog's stool? My dog had something that looked like a popped popcorn kernel at the end of his... (9214 views)

Guinea pig losing teeth. its mouth is sore and can only chew mashed up food its loosing his teeth to its not... (7334 views)