Black spot on dog's chest.

Breed: Black Lab
My Dog recently got this black spot on her chest. When I first looked at it, it looked like there was a hole in it. Then the next day where the hole was it just looks like dry skin. One area is slightly raised. She lets me touch it and it doesn't seem like it's affecting her. There's no redness, swelling, weeping or itching. It has been there for about 2 weeks now with no change. I just figured it was a new mole. I sent 2 pictures of it to the email address. I would like to get an idea of what it could be and if it could be serious. At the same time I don't want to freak out and rush her to the Vet and pay 100+ just for them to say its a normal mole.

This is a tough one! I have had a look at the photos that you sent me and I can't say that I've got any solid conclusions for you:

black spot on dog's skin

black spot on dog's chest

My gut instinct is that this is nothing to worry about. It may be some type of a scab from a scratch. If this is the case then it should go away on its own over the next week or so.

It's also possible that this is a localized area of infection although it doesn't look typical of this. If it is getting larger or red and inflamed then I'd have it checked.

I think that this is unlikely to be cancerous but I can't say for certain without doing tests on it. We do see melanomas in dogs, but they don't usually look like this.

At this point I would keep an eye on this and if it gets much bigger, red or starts to ooze then I'd have your vet check it out.

Thank you so much. I just checked it again and still no changes. I plan to just watch it but so far nothing alarming has happened. This gives my mind some peace.

Urinating in her sleep. my dog has urinated in her sleep 3 times in the past few days the first time she was... (8495 views)

Vaginal Discharge. Dr. Marie, I rescued a female unspayed german shepherd from a neighbor's yard a few... (15279 views)

Diarrhea and vomiting. My cat has had a problem with gassy diarrhea and vomiting over the past 3 weeks. My... (9457 views)

Limping Maltipoo. My dog fell from trying to jump on my bed 2 days ago. (She is a maltipoo and weighs... (17079 views)

Is Okra toxic to dogs? Without thinking, I gave my dog a small amount (appx 1/4 cup) of oven fried... (59185 views)

Parvo carrier? A dog by the name of Bo was pulled from the pound along with some puppies, the... (30102 views)

Does fampridine help with spinal cord trauma? Has there been any success, or even attempt, at treating paralysis in cats using... (12170 views)

Sick shih tzu Hello, I have a question about my 2 and a half year old shit-zu. yesterday, after... (15489 views)

Start vaccines over? i just have had my dog for 3 months, not sure what shots have been given no record,... (5700 views)

Heartworm treatment. Sam was a rescue, we believe that he is a little over two years old and a pit / lab... (7197 views)