Black spot on dog's chest.

Breed: Black Lab
My Dog recently got this black spot on her chest. When I first looked at it, it looked like there was a hole in it. Then the next day where the hole was it just looks like dry skin. One area is slightly raised. She lets me touch it and it doesn't seem like it's affecting her. There's no redness, swelling, weeping or itching. It has been there for about 2 weeks now with no change. I just figured it was a new mole. I sent 2 pictures of it to the email address. I would like to get an idea of what it could be and if it could be serious. At the same time I don't want to freak out and rush her to the Vet and pay 100+ just for them to say its a normal mole.

This is a tough one! I have had a look at the photos that you sent me and I can't say that I've got any solid conclusions for you:

black spot on dog's skin

black spot on dog's chest

My gut instinct is that this is nothing to worry about. It may be some type of a scab from a scratch. If this is the case then it should go away on its own over the next week or so.

It's also possible that this is a localized area of infection although it doesn't look typical of this. If it is getting larger or red and inflamed then I'd have it checked.

I think that this is unlikely to be cancerous but I can't say for certain without doing tests on it. We do see melanomas in dogs, but they don't usually look like this.

At this point I would keep an eye on this and if it gets much bigger, red or starts to ooze then I'd have your vet check it out.

Thank you so much. I just checked it again and still no changes. I plan to just watch it but so far nothing alarming has happened. This gives my mind some peace.

Guinea pig biting. How I can gently dissuade my guinea pig from nibbling and nipping me? Recently my... (7770 views)

Vomited dewormer. I took Tommy to get his 12wk shots at Petco. He was given a yellow oral medicine not... (6347 views)

White eye discharge in Guinea Pig. i have a guinea pig and she has lost alot of weight and shes not her self, she has... (12946 views)

Dog ate maxi pad. My wife and I left for a 24 day holiday. Three of our kids remained at home. Our... (19985 views)

Old cat with lump on paw. Our family cat is 13 to 15 years old. within the last two weeks she has lost her... (6905 views)

Two gerbils fighting. i have a gerbil that i got and i put it with my other gerbil and they were fiting... (7601 views)

Hamster skin problems. Hello my hamster hair has started to fall out and he got flaky skin with sore's from... (15229 views)

Lump on hamster near leg. Hi, My hamster has a pink lump on her right side (Near the front right leg) She... (15660 views)

Licking at private parts. I have a Indoor Male Maine Coon Cat 3 years 9mnths old, Eats 4 times a day Raw food... (10852 views)

White vaginal discharge. Dr. Marie, My female unspayed GSD 4yrs old has a milky like discharge from her... (17047 views)