Guinea pig not eating.

Breed: Guinea Pig

I have a 3 year old guinea pig who has stopped eating. Last week I changed the kind of food he had been eating from loose food to "perfect portion" food balls to try and prevent food waste. He wouldn't eat it so I broke the pieces up to see if he would try it then and have been offering him fruits and vegetables as well, but he is not interested in eating anything. The food change also coincided with a change in weather from warm to cold. I have also noticed he isn't pooping and isn't drinking as much water, and a few months ago I noticed some lumps on his stomach that never seemed to bother him. When I googled the lumps I found that they are common in guinea pigs and normally don't require veterinary care. I'm concerned because he hasn't been eating, pooping, or drinking...from what I can tell he has eaten very little or nothing in the last week. I read online that I can syringe feed him pumpkin and that might help, but I am hesitant to try without veterinary input and am also considering this might be the result of the weather change. What can I do for my piggy?

Thank you,
Jodi

Hi,

There are a number of things that can cause a guinea pig to stop eating. It certainly is possible that changing his diet caused him to go off of his food but there could be another cause.

It is possible that he stopped eating because he didn't like the food and now he has something called gastrointestinal stasis. GI stasis means that his intestines are not moving properly. Some guinea pigs can get this if they don't have enough roughage in their diet.

GI stasis is a serious condition. For this reason, I would highly recommend that you have your guinea pig see a vet. The treatment generally involves fluid therapy, pain medications and also nutrition therapy. The nutrition therapy usually involves syringe feeding a supplement such as Oxbow Critical Care as well as a vitamin C supplement.

There are other possible reasons for a guinea pig to not eat as well including dental problems, having a foreign object in his intestines and other conditions. But, given that this first started after the food change, I think that the food change is likely to blame.

Again, I would definitely recommend having a vet examine your guinea pig as soon as possible. There is no harm in trying to get him to eat some good foods such as guinea pig hay. In some cases, if you can get a pig to eat then they will get better on their own. There is no harm in trying the pumpkin, but if he won't eat it then he will definitely need veterinary care.

I wish I could offer you more! Hope he is feeling better soon!

Are tomatoes bad for cats? Hi, My ragdoll cat loves cherry tomatoes! - he goes mad crazy for the but I am... (42741 views)

Hyperthyroidism and stress. My cat Harry, who is approximately 12 years old, was just diagnosed with... (11902 views)

Possible asthma My 7 year old cat has always had frequent hairballs. I have always suspected he had... (16529 views)

Sores around vulva. Hi Dr. Marie, I would like a second opinion on my dog's health issue. She is a 4... (64394 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My cat seems to be ill. It's been a few days that starts sneezing. Now its... (7228 views)

Sore leg in 16 year old cat. Hello We have a cat that is about 16 years old. The last couple of days she has... (7240 views)

19 year old cat died. My 19 yo childhood cat died this morning and my parents, who aren't the sort of... (9978 views)

Bromonidine (like amitraz) toxicity. MY DOG SWALLOWED SOME BRIMONIDINE TARTRATE OPHTHALMIC 5 ML SHE IS VERY WEAK AND... (18353 views)

Bladder stones and crystals. Hello Dr. Marie: Last fall and again in April of this year, Jazz got what was... (13191 views)

Vomiting and diarrhea every two weeks. I adopted my yorkiepoo from a local shelter in 12/2012. From that time until a few... (14085 views)