Interstitial cystitis?

Breed: Persian
Charlotte is constantly squatting as if she has to go, but nothing is coming out. I did see a little blood at one point when she squatted and only a drop came out.

I'm sorry to hear that Charlotte is not well. While there are several possible reasons for a cat to be squatting, trying to urinate and urinating some blood, the most common reason for a female cat to do this is something called interstitial cystitis. We don't really know the cause for this illness, but it has something to do with the lining of the bladder wall being irritated. It feels the same way a bladder infection feels, but there is no infection there.

Sometimes interstitial cystitis can happen as a result of stress, but often no real cause is found. Some cats will get bouts of interstitial cystitis throughout their lives.

Sometimes a cat can get over interstitial cystitis on their own, but because it is a very uncomfortable condition I do recommend taking her to see a vet. There are a few possible ways to treat this. There is no over the counter remedy that you can do at home.

There are other possible reasons. A urinary tract obstruction can cause squatting and straining and blood. This is not very common in a female cat though. If Charlotte was a male cat then I would be recommending a vet visit immediately as male cats are much more prone to urethral obstructions and this is a life threatening condition.

A bladder infection is a possibility as well although this is not very common in cats. If there is an infection then antibiotics are in order. Home remedies like cranberry juice do not work and could even make things worse.

I would recommend a vet visit for Charlotte. They will obtain a urine sample and run some tests to determine what the problem is. The good news is that interstitial cystitis (if this is what it is) is rarely something really serious.

I hope things improve soon!

Thyroid cancer? Hello, about 10 months ago my dog started heavily panting while playing with her... (13063 views)

Swollen nose. My 9 yo Female Samoyed has a swollen nose - the black part of the nose, on the top.... (8810 views)

Itchy bumps on back. I took my dog to get groomed about 6 weeks ago and I noticed that she got a few... (13374 views)

Not eating, losing weight. My cat has lost a lot of weight in the past 3 weeks. She cries for food but then... (10677 views)

Lab with a cough. Two days ago, my chocolate lab starting coughing and dry heaving occasionally when... (52840 views)

Frontline and bathing. Hi Dr. Marie, I applied Frontline Plus to my puppy the same day that he had a... (27960 views)

Testicles are swollen. Bingo was hit from behind by a car mon nite. He got several cuts on 1 side of face,... (18888 views)

Wart on a cat? Hello. I found a small bump on my cat's throat a few months ago. It has gotten... (34787 views)

Dog has itchy lumps my dog has lumps on her body and are a bit... (13571 views)

Runny eyes in a persian. Hi there I just recently got Chewey who is a extreme flat face persian and his eyes... (20561 views)