Interstitial cystitis?

Breed: Persian
Charlotte is constantly squatting as if she has to go, but nothing is coming out. I did see a little blood at one point when she squatted and only a drop came out.

I'm sorry to hear that Charlotte is not well. While there are several possible reasons for a cat to be squatting, trying to urinate and urinating some blood, the most common reason for a female cat to do this is something called interstitial cystitis. We don't really know the cause for this illness, but it has something to do with the lining of the bladder wall being irritated. It feels the same way a bladder infection feels, but there is no infection there.

Sometimes interstitial cystitis can happen as a result of stress, but often no real cause is found. Some cats will get bouts of interstitial cystitis throughout their lives.

Sometimes a cat can get over interstitial cystitis on their own, but because it is a very uncomfortable condition I do recommend taking her to see a vet. There are a few possible ways to treat this. There is no over the counter remedy that you can do at home.

There are other possible reasons. A urinary tract obstruction can cause squatting and straining and blood. This is not very common in a female cat though. If Charlotte was a male cat then I would be recommending a vet visit immediately as male cats are much more prone to urethral obstructions and this is a life threatening condition.

A bladder infection is a possibility as well although this is not very common in cats. If there is an infection then antibiotics are in order. Home remedies like cranberry juice do not work and could even make things worse.

I would recommend a vet visit for Charlotte. They will obtain a urine sample and run some tests to determine what the problem is. The good news is that interstitial cystitis (if this is what it is) is rarely something really serious.

I hope things improve soon!

Suddenly disoriented. our approx 8 y/o schnauzer is partially blind and partially deaf(we adopted him a yr... (27552 views)

Lethargic shih tzu My dog came home from the cottage this weekend and is acting very odd. He walks a... (24581 views)

Deaf and pooping in house. My cat is now about 15 years old and is in relatively good condition apart from the... (10701 views)

Possible cruciate tear. I am currently fostering an overweight husky/lab cross (Working on the weight... (7414 views)

Stop dogs from fighting. I have 2 female doxies, one beats up the other all the time. How can i control this?... (5430 views)

Multiple lumps on dog. hi, i have found a hard lump under the skin of my dog, it's by his ribs it does... (10227 views)

Lump on jaw. OK...my cat has a lump on her neck/jaw. One vet has told me it was an... (26616 views)

Why is my 10 year old chihuahua coughing? Hi Dr. Marie! I have a 10yr old female Chihuahua that has a coughing problem. At... (38617 views)

Cat limping and vomiting. Today I noticed that my cat was limping a bit. Later on in the day I noticed that... (17116 views)

Vomiting and bloody stool. We just took a trip, and on the last day away our dog began throwing up. We have... (14868 views)