Lump with hole and something moving in it.

Breed: Tabby? not sure, as
Hi, i just got a new kitten 3 days ago, this morning i woke up and picked her up and she hissed in pain and jumped out of my arms. the night before she didn't do this. So i gently checked her for what was wrong. i found a sore like spot on her side, not big maybe fingernail size or smaller. im almost 100% sure its ring worm but the only thing making me not sure is the very small hole at the center about the size of a toothpick tip. is that common with ringworm? It seems to have something in it moving, i thought maybe a tick or such...but im really not sure, i need to know soon as you can. Thank you so much (:

Though I can't say for sure, I am wondering if your kitten has a cuterebra. This is a parasite that goes through its life cycle inside of an animal. Near the end of its life cycle it becomes a little grub like animal and makes a small hole to "breathe" out of. Eventually, it pops out of the hole and turns into a fly.

Usually if I see a cuterebra, I try to get it out right away as it can cause problems and I'm sure it is not comfortable to have something moving under your skin. Usually we can remove them by making a small cut in the skin and slowly extracting it. It is definitely something you would want to have your vet do because if you end up rupturing the bug it can release toxins.

Do you know if your kitten has been near rabbit hutches at all? This is where they usually pick up these creatures, but I have seen indoor animals like hamsters pick them up too.

It is also possible that this is a ruptured abscess. However, I wouldn't expect to see something moving in it.

The best thing you can do is have your vet take a look!

Peeing on blankets. We adopted Ginger a year ago and it took some time to get her house trained. She now... (16416 views)

Worn footpads. Hi, Dr. Marie: I'm writing to ask you how to treat sore, blistered paws. I pushed... (5723 views)

Aggressive cat My cat attacked me out of the blue today. This is very much out of character for... (22825 views)

Dog chewing feet. I was told that if your irishwolfhound chew his back paws this means a heart... (9922 views)

Dog ate moldy food. I know its likely my question won't get answered, and this is a question that can't... (26905 views)

Is this lump cancer? I noticed yesterday that my babe has a lump about the size of a kiwi on her bottom... (14917 views)

Cat with bald belly. Our cat (6 years old) has bitten off the hair on her stomach. Our vet (in Latvia)... (11705 views)

Why does guinea pig have pink poop? Hi! I am a big fan! So my guinea pig yesterday at play time, I found like a pink... (12793 views)

Cat hair loss. My cat has some blood above both er of her eyes and it looks like the fur fell out.... (49576 views)

Limping cat. Hi, My calico cat has been limping for over 6 months, Rt paw. About 3 yrs ago she... (15565 views)