Lump with hole and something moving in it.

Breed: Tabby? not sure, as
Hi, i just got a new kitten 3 days ago, this morning i woke up and picked her up and she hissed in pain and jumped out of my arms. the night before she didn't do this. So i gently checked her for what was wrong. i found a sore like spot on her side, not big maybe fingernail size or smaller. im almost 100% sure its ring worm but the only thing making me not sure is the very small hole at the center about the size of a toothpick tip. is that common with ringworm? It seems to have something in it moving, i thought maybe a tick or such...but im really not sure, i need to know soon as you can. Thank you so much (:

Though I can't say for sure, I am wondering if your kitten has a cuterebra. This is a parasite that goes through its life cycle inside of an animal. Near the end of its life cycle it becomes a little grub like animal and makes a small hole to "breathe" out of. Eventually, it pops out of the hole and turns into a fly.

Usually if I see a cuterebra, I try to get it out right away as it can cause problems and I'm sure it is not comfortable to have something moving under your skin. Usually we can remove them by making a small cut in the skin and slowly extracting it. It is definitely something you would want to have your vet do because if you end up rupturing the bug it can release toxins.

Do you know if your kitten has been near rabbit hutches at all? This is where they usually pick up these creatures, but I have seen indoor animals like hamsters pick them up too.

It is also possible that this is a ruptured abscess. However, I wouldn't expect to see something moving in it.

The best thing you can do is have your vet take a look!

Large lump on back. hi. my dog has a large hump on the top of his back. it doesn't seem to hurt him at... (16786 views)

Sudden death in a dog after swimming. My dog was swimming in the lake for 1-2 mins, she came out, then ran around suddenly... (12080 views)

Cat sick after prednisone. Two weeks ago LittleMan had something like an infection in the corners of his mouth... (19963 views)

Anxious lab. He is over weight 16-17 years old male last sat myself(brian) and my wife and son... (5986 views)

Mast cell tumors on penis. I have a healthy 11 yr old Chihuahua named Tyson who has mitotic cancer/mast cell... (15671 views)

Dental problems in 20 year old cat. My cat Jack, who is 20 yrs old and has a predominant heart murmur and obviously a... (13446 views)

Polysporin on cats? My cat is 21 years old. I HAVE had her to the vet 3 times now with open sores on... (64172 views)

Dog with allergies. Dr, I'm afraid Max's allergies are getting the better of him. Symptom... (7092 views)

Biting at cysts. I have a 13 yr old cocker who has a lot of fatty cysts, she has had them for several... (8642 views)

Licking at private parts. I have a Indoor Male Maine Coon Cat 3 years 9mnths old, Eats 4 times a day Raw food... (11495 views)