Lump with hole and something moving in it.

Breed: Tabby? not sure, as
Hi, i just got a new kitten 3 days ago, this morning i woke up and picked her up and she hissed in pain and jumped out of my arms. the night before she didn't do this. So i gently checked her for what was wrong. i found a sore like spot on her side, not big maybe fingernail size or smaller. im almost 100% sure its ring worm but the only thing making me not sure is the very small hole at the center about the size of a toothpick tip. is that common with ringworm? It seems to have something in it moving, i thought maybe a tick or such...but im really not sure, i need to know soon as you can. Thank you so much (:

Though I can't say for sure, I am wondering if your kitten has a cuterebra. This is a parasite that goes through its life cycle inside of an animal. Near the end of its life cycle it becomes a little grub like animal and makes a small hole to "breathe" out of. Eventually, it pops out of the hole and turns into a fly.

Usually if I see a cuterebra, I try to get it out right away as it can cause problems and I'm sure it is not comfortable to have something moving under your skin. Usually we can remove them by making a small cut in the skin and slowly extracting it. It is definitely something you would want to have your vet do because if you end up rupturing the bug it can release toxins.

Do you know if your kitten has been near rabbit hutches at all? This is where they usually pick up these creatures, but I have seen indoor animals like hamsters pick them up too.

It is also possible that this is a ruptured abscess. However, I wouldn't expect to see something moving in it.

The best thing you can do is have your vet take a look!

Swollen eye in older cat. Hello - I have a 13-yr cat with renal issues (diagnosed 2 yrs ago) - but she has... (10679 views)

Best ringworm treatment. We adopted Milo (5 months) from a shelter 2 weeks ago. He has two patches where skin... (12187 views)

Normal to cry when put to sleep? Two weeks ago I put my 18 and three quarter year old dog Bertie to sleep. He would... (19817 views)

Pooping and peeing outside of box. I own two cats and they're both litter box trained but today my oldest cat pooped... (8372 views)

Mole on dog's leg. My dog has what looks like a mole on his leg, do dogs have moles or should I take... (15039 views)

Seizures due to brain tumor? Hello I have a 9 year old standard poodle (neutured) that has had a seizure episode... (19360 views)

Excessive drooling. My Puggle started drooling a few days ago and I assumed she had gotten a red ant or... (23715 views)

Guinea pig biting. How I can gently dissuade my guinea pig from nibbling and nipping me? Recently my... (9597 views)

Dog with masticatory myositis. hi my dog has had masticatory myositis last jan and again in april and now has it... (11095 views)

Pregnant cat question. Back in March approx. around the 9th my cat Faith went into heat. During this time... (32380 views)