Crying after using litter box.

Breed: domestic shorthair
After my cat eats, drinks, gets up or uses the cat box she cries this very strange cry but as soon as I tell her to stop she does. she still is eating and drinking well and seems to be in good health. what would be making her cry like that?

This is a tough question to answer! It is actually quite common for elderly cats to start to vocalize in strange ways. Sometimes there is a reason for it, but often we don't find a reason.

Whenever I have a client whose cat is vocalizing after being in the litter box I always recommend testing for urinary tract issues such as something called interstitial cystitis. However, in most cases the urine is normal.

I do sometimes try a course of anti-inflammatory medication in case there is some arthritis pain. The theory is that the act of getting into the correct posture to urinate can trigger some hip or pelvis pain.

Some older cats will vocalize more because of high blood pressure. The thought is that the increase in blood pressure can cause headaches. This doesn't explain why it would happen after using the litter box as in Angelfish's case though.

Some cats with hyperthryoidism can vocalize more as well. Cats with hyperthryoidism are usually very hungry but quite thin.

The final possibility is something called cognitive dysfunction. This is similar to senility in people. There are medications that can help with this if it is getting worse, but nothing works 100%.

At this point it probably would be a good idea to have your vet take a look at her and do a good exam and some bloodwork. If there are hints of arthritis on the exam they may try a trial of some anti-inflammatory medication for her. Or, it's possible that they may find something on her blood tests such as hyperthyroidism.

In the meantime, you could experiment with trying a different type of litter box - perhaps one with sides that are shorter so that she doesn't have to work as hard to get into the box.

I hope that helps,

Small Russian Blue Cat. I have a Russian Blue who has recently turned 4 years old (we have had him since 6... (9980 views)

Euthanize aggressive dog? I adopted my dog Nubby a year ago from a local shelter. A few months after I adopted... (30205 views)

Paralyzed back legs. about a day ago,my dog stop using his bottom part of is body,like she paralyzed,and... (11769 views)

Cat has an itchy head. Hello, my cat's head is very itchy. She has been wearing a e-collar for a year... (10111 views)

Down in the hock. Hello, About two weeks ago I came home from being away a couple of hours and... (6563 views)

Dog ate a grape. Hi, My 2 year old miniature schnauzer ate a red seedless grape about 20 minutes... (11718 views)

Lump on German Shepherd. This morning while brushing Sako, a 9-year-old GSD, I noted an area where hair is... (15974 views)

Pancreatitis and HGE. I had my Cooper put to sleep 3 weeks ago today. On the Monday before, he vomited... (40049 views)

2 week old puppy won't nurse. 2 week puppy stopped eating from its mother. we are feeding him with a syringe with... (15975 views)

Non itchy bald spots. She has 3 bald spots on her head and 2-3 more around her body. Took her to the vet... (16155 views)