Crying after using litter box.

Breed: domestic shorthair
After my cat eats, drinks, gets up or uses the cat box she cries this very strange cry but as soon as I tell her to stop she does. she still is eating and drinking well and seems to be in good health. what would be making her cry like that?

Need help finding a veterinarian in your area? Click here for Dr. Marie's advice on
finding a good veterinarian near you.

This is a tough question to answer! It is actually quite common for elderly cats to start to vocalize in strange ways. Sometimes there is a reason for it, but often we don't find a reason.

Whenever I have a client whose cat is vocalizing after being in the litter box I always recommend testing for urinary tract issues such as something called interstitial cystitis. However, in most cases the urine is normal.

I do sometimes try a course of anti-inflammatory medication in case there is some arthritis pain. The theory is that the act of getting into the correct posture to urinate can trigger some hip or pelvis pain.

Some older cats will vocalize more because of high blood pressure. The thought is that the increase in blood pressure can cause headaches. This doesn't explain why it would happen after using the litter box as in Angelfish's case though.

Some cats with hyperthryoidism can vocalize more as well. Cats with hyperthryoidism are usually very hungry but quite thin.

The final possibility is something called cognitive dysfunction. This is similar to senility in people. There are medications that can help with this if it is getting worse, but nothing works 100%.

At this point it probably would be a good idea to have your vet take a look at her and do a good exam and some bloodwork. If there are hints of arthritis on the exam they may try a trial of some anti-inflammatory medication for her. Or, it's possible that they may find something on her blood tests such as hyperthyroidism.

In the meantime, you could experiment with trying a different type of litter box - perhaps one with sides that are shorter so that she doesn't have to work as hard to get into the box.

I hope that helps,

QUIZ: Is your cat secretly planning to murder you?

Have you tried the Purr Pillow? This is one of Dr. Marie's top recommended pet products for 2016.

Bladder cancer and can't walk. I accidentally closed the window the first time I got directed here so think that I... (7064 views)

Benadryl for dogs How much Benadryl can I give my dog? I think he is having an allergic reaction to a... (1205 views)

Kitten with large belly. Ted is a name we have given to a stray cat that has been coming to our house for the... (7581 views)

How often is a dog in heat? My dog started her first heat yesterday. I know not to breed her now she is not... (2623 views)

Lump on dog's belly. Hi Dr. Marie I have a 5 year old Cocker Spaniel female - spayed when she was a... (10222 views)

Bromonidine (like amitraz) toxicity. MY DOG SWALLOWED SOME BRIMONIDINE TARTRATE OPHTHALMIC 5 ML SHE IS VERY WEAK AND... (8441 views)

Large black mole on dog. Hi Dr. Marie, I’m kind of worried because my dog, a Labrador retriever he has... (23854 views)

Dog barked during euthanasia. Hi Why most likley did my dog bark out when the vet put him to sleep. I thought... (8756 views)

Why did my kitten die? I came home last night to find my kitten laying dead in her kennel. We rescued her... (8411 views)

Thiamine deficiency? My cat has Thiamine deficiency from Wellness pet food. Are the effects for the... (5124 views)