Cat has a watery eye.

Breed: black cat
Hi, I have spoken with you before about my cat Yoko. She suffers from swollen gums that bleed, and she has very bad breath. She is taking prednizone. It does not help much, but it makes her happier it seems.

The past few days I have found that her left eye looks very strange. Its watery and the second eye lid is up. She does not seem to want to eat much either. I do not want her to suffer any more then I think she might be. What would your advice with this be.

Thanks so much
Peace Carlee

Hi Carlee...good to hear from you again!

Whenever I hear of a cat with an eye issue I always do recommend an exam because some eye problems can be quite serious.

If she is not wanting to eat and has some discharge it may be that she has either an infection in the eye or possibly an upper respiratory tract infection. The prednisone that Yoko is on does make her immune system have a harder time fighting infections.

The good news is that most eye infections or respiratory infections are quite easy to treat.

Sometimes we can see the third eyelid of one eye is up because of a condition called Horner's syndrome. We don't really know what causes Horner's syndrome and it is usually not serious. However, Horner's doesn't usually cause an appetite loss.

Are you able to have a vet look at her? It does sound like a good idea.

Hope she does ok!

Thank-you Dr. Marie,

I can make an apt. next week to take her in. It does seem like the right thing to do right now. I did not know that about the Prednizone.

You mentioned she might have a respiratory infection. Can you tell that from the eye infection?? Her breathing seems fine.
She is very quite the past few days too. I will feel better I think after I take her to the vet. I sure don't want her to suffer.

Thanks again so much
Peace Carlee

You're very welcome Carlee! Many respiratory infections will start out as simply an eye infection. I wouldn't be too worried as long as she is eating at least SOME food and as long as there is not a significant amount of green discharge from the eye or nose.

Hope she does well!

Vet care discount for seniors. My cat vomited today(29.10.10) and she is in a quite bad mood, i want to get a check... (11030 views)

Limping Dog. Yesterday, my dog started limping & avoiding putting any weight on his right hind... (26795 views)

Fly a puppy in cargo? Hi Dr Marie. We live in Halifax and are buying a pup from a breeder in Winnipeg.... (6560 views)

Very thirsty dog. My 13 year old spayed female lab is continually drinking water, can't seem to get... (9352 views)

Cat ate vitamin D3. I believe my cat accidentally ingested a 1000iu capsule of Vitamin D3 I read your... (31850 views)

Bladder stones and crystals. Hello Dr. Marie: Last fall and again in April of this year, Jazz got what was... (11565 views)

Mast cell tumor. Dear Dr. Marie: My dog, Jammy, has had a small lump near her neck that filled up... (11480 views)

Rat pees and poops on owner. I have a baby rat that poops and pies on me when she gets out of the... (11176 views)

Incontinence she will be lying on the floor and she just pees and does not know or realize she... (9452 views)

Should I have euthanized? We put my dog Kyra to sleep yesterday and I am struggling with the decision. Here... (9456 views)