Cat has a watery eye.

Breed: black cat
Hi, I have spoken with you before about my cat Yoko. She suffers from swollen gums that bleed, and she has very bad breath. She is taking prednizone. It does not help much, but it makes her happier it seems.

The past few days I have found that her left eye looks very strange. Its watery and the second eye lid is up. She does not seem to want to eat much either. I do not want her to suffer any more then I think she might be. What would your advice with this be.

Thanks so much
Peace Carlee

Hi Carlee...good to hear from you again!

Whenever I hear of a cat with an eye issue I always do recommend an exam because some eye problems can be quite serious.

If she is not wanting to eat and has some discharge it may be that she has either an infection in the eye or possibly an upper respiratory tract infection. The prednisone that Yoko is on does make her immune system have a harder time fighting infections.

The good news is that most eye infections or respiratory infections are quite easy to treat.

Sometimes we can see the third eyelid of one eye is up because of a condition called Horner's syndrome. We don't really know what causes Horner's syndrome and it is usually not serious. However, Horner's doesn't usually cause an appetite loss.

Are you able to have a vet look at her? It does sound like a good idea.

Hope she does ok!

Thank-you Dr. Marie,

I can make an apt. next week to take her in. It does seem like the right thing to do right now. I did not know that about the Prednizone.

You mentioned she might have a respiratory infection. Can you tell that from the eye infection?? Her breathing seems fine.
She is very quite the past few days too. I will feel better I think after I take her to the vet. I sure don't want her to suffer.

Thanks again so much
Peace Carlee

You're very welcome Carlee! Many respiratory infections will start out as simply an eye infection. I wouldn't be too worried as long as she is eating at least SOME food and as long as there is not a significant amount of green discharge from the eye or nose.

Hope she does well!

Why did 15 year old dog die? Hello, My dog was 15 years old and she just recently died last thursday. My mother... (15798 views)

Lump on dog's leg. Hi Dr. Marie! Spanky is 5 years old and very healthy. His energy is good and, as... (40040 views)

Peeing in house on lasix. My dog has collapsed trachea and also an enlarged heart that was pressing on his... (14883 views)

Diarrhea and not eating. My saluki started with a foul smelling yellow diarrhea. Then she slowly stopped... (5775 views)

Laser pointer safe for cats? My Abby is thrilled with the new toy that I purchased for her, a laser pointer. She... (7775 views)

Older dog liver problems. We gave a 13 year old Maltese. He has had liver shunts and since he was 3 months we... (12144 views)

Kittens with diarrhea We have kept the 5 kittens born to our momma cat. [they will be "fixed" when it is... (11048 views)

Dog vomiting clear fluid. Today we noticed that Cassie is vomiting clear fluid (with a little foam) all over... (223289 views)

Cerenia and FIP. Holly was diagnosed with the Corona Virus when she was only a few months old. It... (8444 views)

Cat peeing in tub. Hi, DR. Marie; Tiger has recently started using the bath tub for his litter box,... (56749 views)