Cat has a watery eye.

Breed: black cat
Hi, I have spoken with you before about my cat Yoko. She suffers from swollen gums that bleed, and she has very bad breath. She is taking prednizone. It does not help much, but it makes her happier it seems.

The past few days I have found that her left eye looks very strange. Its watery and the second eye lid is up. She does not seem to want to eat much either. I do not want her to suffer any more then I think she might be. What would your advice with this be.

Thanks so much
Peace Carlee

Hi Carlee...good to hear from you again!

Whenever I hear of a cat with an eye issue I always do recommend an exam because some eye problems can be quite serious.

If she is not wanting to eat and has some discharge it may be that she has either an infection in the eye or possibly an upper respiratory tract infection. The prednisone that Yoko is on does make her immune system have a harder time fighting infections.

The good news is that most eye infections or respiratory infections are quite easy to treat.

Sometimes we can see the third eyelid of one eye is up because of a condition called Horner's syndrome. We don't really know what causes Horner's syndrome and it is usually not serious. However, Horner's doesn't usually cause an appetite loss.

Are you able to have a vet look at her? It does sound like a good idea.

Hope she does ok!

Thank-you Dr. Marie,

I can make an apt. next week to take her in. It does seem like the right thing to do right now. I did not know that about the Prednizone.

You mentioned she might have a respiratory infection. Can you tell that from the eye infection?? Her breathing seems fine.
She is very quite the past few days too. I will feel better I think after I take her to the vet. I sure don't want her to suffer.

Thanks again so much
Peace Carlee

You're very welcome Carlee! Many respiratory infections will start out as simply an eye infection. I wouldn't be too worried as long as she is eating at least SOME food and as long as there is not a significant amount of green discharge from the eye or nose.

Hope she does well!

Time for euthanasia. Mr. Magoo is 14 1/2 years old. He has Cushings disease (not being treated) and... (4134 views)

Licking at lump on leg. Hi! My name is Sachiyo Ono and I have a question about my pet. I am only 14 so I... (23597 views)

Tick part left in dog? I have just recently removed a tickt from my dog from just above his eye how do I... (6500 views)

Geodon (ziprasidone) ingestion. My morkie may have ate a GEODON pill found on the floor. It was 60 mg. And it is an... (15057 views)

Surgery or rest for CCL tear. Dear Dr. Marie, My dog often limping recently and i've brought her to see a vet in... (8087 views)

Cat died. Dear Doctor Haynes, I started looking after a stray young tomcat (who I presume... (5519 views)

Goopy eyes. My kittens eyes are BOTH gooping up a lot. I do not know if it is an infection, or... (9169 views)

Goat's milk for puppies. Is goat's milk good to give nursing puppies? My puppies won't nurse and I was told... (6021 views)

Coughing chihuahua My chihuahua has had an intermittent cough since roughly last year when she had most... (13574 views)

Cat won't use litter box. I have a 7 month old female cat, I have had her vet checked and she has no problems.... (8218 views)