Cat has a watery eye.

Breed: black cat
Hi, I have spoken with you before about my cat Yoko. She suffers from swollen gums that bleed, and she has very bad breath. She is taking prednizone. It does not help much, but it makes her happier it seems.

The past few days I have found that her left eye looks very strange. Its watery and the second eye lid is up. She does not seem to want to eat much either. I do not want her to suffer any more then I think she might be. What would your advice with this be.

Thanks so much
Peace Carlee

Hi Carlee...good to hear from you again!

Whenever I hear of a cat with an eye issue I always do recommend an exam because some eye problems can be quite serious.

If she is not wanting to eat and has some discharge it may be that she has either an infection in the eye or possibly an upper respiratory tract infection. The prednisone that Yoko is on does make her immune system have a harder time fighting infections.

The good news is that most eye infections or respiratory infections are quite easy to treat.

Sometimes we can see the third eyelid of one eye is up because of a condition called Horner's syndrome. We don't really know what causes Horner's syndrome and it is usually not serious. However, Horner's doesn't usually cause an appetite loss.

Are you able to have a vet look at her? It does sound like a good idea.

Hope she does ok!

Thank-you Dr. Marie,

I can make an apt. next week to take her in. It does seem like the right thing to do right now. I did not know that about the Prednizone.

You mentioned she might have a respiratory infection. Can you tell that from the eye infection?? Her breathing seems fine.
She is very quite the past few days too. I will feel better I think after I take her to the vet. I sure don't want her to suffer.

Thanks again so much
Peace Carlee

You're very welcome Carlee! Many respiratory infections will start out as simply an eye infection. I wouldn't be too worried as long as she is eating at least SOME food and as long as there is not a significant amount of green discharge from the eye or nose.

Hope she does well!

Swollen feet. hey doctor, i have a weimarner....for the last 1 year he has been continuously... (6713 views)

Wound on cat's paw. When I got my cat 3yrs ago he had frostbite on his front pads, they healed good. a... (5450 views)

Diarrhea and pain. My dog Halo is about 14 months old, she's had diarrhea for the last few days. I've... (32358 views)

Itchy coat. my dog itches and her coat seems to be popped up at various places, have cheched... (6780 views)

Dog looks thin. I have a 9 1/2 year old Yorkshire Terrier. Recently she has begun to get thin. I... (14072 views)

Puppy knuckling on back legs. Hi I have a pug who is 5 months old, he was fine until about 2 week ago. He started... (7687 views)

Aspirin and Lasix? Hello. My regular vet is out of town and my dog is in a lot of pain. He's thirteen... (9336 views)

Anal tumor. I have an 8 year old male labrador retriever, we has terrible hips problems in which... (12631 views)

Dog ate maxi pad. My wife and I left for a 24 day holiday. Three of our kids remained at home. Our... (20313 views)

Diabetic cat problems. ivay is a diabetic last blood test 3 weeks ago was 21 he has gained 5 lbs since jan... (4890 views)