Sore leg in 16 year old cat.

Breed: cat
Hello

We have a cat that is about 16 years old. The last couple of days she has been favoring her back left leg. She is walking around..just a little more slowly than normal. I think she might have hurt it a little while jumping down. She usually goes from my sons bed to the ottoman then to the floor.

I plan on taking her into a vet monday.So they can do an xray..just to make sure she is okay. I was wondering if it would be okay to give her a baby asprin? She seems like she is in a little pain. Also I am not sure what dosage to give her or if you have a better recommendation? Thank you very much for your attention to my request :))

Kind Regards,
Roxanne Nelson

Sorry to hear that Jasmine has a sore leg.

Unfortunately there is no over the counter pain medication for cats that is going to be safe and helpful. Cats actually do not metabolize aspirin well. There are rare cases where we will use very small doses for cats that have had issues with blood clots. But, I would definitely not recommend it, especially for an older cat as aspirin can be hard on a cat's kidneys and many older cats have some degree of kidney disease.

There really isn't a whole lot that you can do at home until you are able to see a vet. If you can determine which part of the leg is sore, you could try placing an ice pack or a pack of frozen peas on that joint for a few minutes a few times per day. But, it is often hard to know which joint is causing pain in a cat, even for those of us who are skilled at doing exams of sore cat legs!

The best thing you can do is to allow Jasmine to remain as quiet as she would like. Take away any need for her to do stairs or jump.

Your vet will do a good exam and likely xrays. They will probably prescribe a medication such as Metacam or Tramadol in dosages that will be safe for her.

If you feel that she is extremely uncomfortable then I would recommend seeing an emergency vet.

I hope things improve soon!

Trouble breathing My 12 year old golden retriever was diagnosed with an enlarged heart and a "5"... (11410 views)

Dog is shaking I can't afford to bring my dog to the vet. I would like to know my dog has a lack of... (80805 views)

Possible distemper or kennel cough. I adopted Bub from the SPCA on August 13 and he was taken to the Vet on Aug 17 for... (8713 views)

Guinea pig noises. Heys! I have only one guinea pig and she is female. Sometimes my guinea pig makes... (10224 views)

Small open wound on dog Our min pin lives out in country with us. We have enclosed 1/2 acre fenced area. She... (13565 views)

Coughing blood and mucus. Marvin has been periodically coughing up mucus with blood in it. He has a tumor of... (30942 views)

Older dog - bloody diarrhea. My dog is a 12 1/2 yr old cocker spaniel/golden retriever mix. She's had diarrhea... (37489 views)

Seizures due to brain tumor? Hello I have a 9 year old standard poodle (neutured) that has had a seizure episode... (17822 views)

Dog diarrhea problems. Hi Dr, This is an update to a previous question. Max is over 10 wks old now... (35664 views)

Metacam for cancer pain. I have a 13 year old Birman female cat, never really been sick in her life. We... (16017 views)