Sore leg in 16 year old cat.

Breed: cat
Hello

We have a cat that is about 16 years old. The last couple of days she has been favoring her back left leg. She is walking around..just a little more slowly than normal. I think she might have hurt it a little while jumping down. She usually goes from my sons bed to the ottoman then to the floor.

I plan on taking her into a vet monday.So they can do an xray..just to make sure she is okay. I was wondering if it would be okay to give her a baby asprin? She seems like she is in a little pain. Also I am not sure what dosage to give her or if you have a better recommendation? Thank you very much for your attention to my request :))

Kind Regards,
Roxanne Nelson

Sorry to hear that Jasmine has a sore leg.

Unfortunately there is no over the counter pain medication for cats that is going to be safe and helpful. Cats actually do not metabolize aspirin well. There are rare cases where we will use very small doses for cats that have had issues with blood clots. But, I would definitely not recommend it, especially for an older cat as aspirin can be hard on a cat's kidneys and many older cats have some degree of kidney disease.

There really isn't a whole lot that you can do at home until you are able to see a vet. If you can determine which part of the leg is sore, you could try placing an ice pack or a pack of frozen peas on that joint for a few minutes a few times per day. But, it is often hard to know which joint is causing pain in a cat, even for those of us who are skilled at doing exams of sore cat legs!

The best thing you can do is to allow Jasmine to remain as quiet as she would like. Take away any need for her to do stairs or jump.

Your vet will do a good exam and likely xrays. They will probably prescribe a medication such as Metacam or Tramadol in dosages that will be safe for her.

If you feel that she is extremely uncomfortable then I would recommend seeing an emergency vet.

I hope things improve soon!

White spot on eye. My cat has a greyish white spot on surface of her eye. It is not in the iris nor is... (31758 views)

Possible laryngeal Parlysis Rex is having breathing difficulties for the last few days primarily while eating or... (8628 views)

Swollen eye and vomiting. Hi Dr. Marie. Our dog's eye swelled up the other night withing an hour.....it went... (50052 views)

Freckles on a dog's belly. Francois has developed some brown spots on his belly and testicles. He licks in... (22988 views)

Abscess on dog's neck. We have been keeping an eye on a hard lump on my boxers upper neck, by ear. It... (41823 views)

Sore hips in 1 year old cat. I have a 1 year old cat and she has had "stiff back legs" since we got her at 8... (14018 views)

Natural flea product? Dear Dr. Marie: We use Sentry Natural Defense squeeze-on flea control product on... (9819 views)

Pit bull has bald patches. Hi, we have beeen to the vet three different times and he still breaking out and... (4914 views)

Can a spayed cat get pregnant? OK its OK if you don't answer but be for you look away please im 12 and my cat is... (22139 views)

Seizures and not eating. Earlier in the week Cash had a pee/poop/vomit fest in the house, unusual for him. ... (8362 views)