Sore leg in 16 year old cat.

Breed: cat
Hello

We have a cat that is about 16 years old. The last couple of days she has been favoring her back left leg. She is walking around..just a little more slowly than normal. I think she might have hurt it a little while jumping down. She usually goes from my sons bed to the ottoman then to the floor.

I plan on taking her into a vet monday.So they can do an xray..just to make sure she is okay. I was wondering if it would be okay to give her a baby asprin? She seems like she is in a little pain. Also I am not sure what dosage to give her or if you have a better recommendation? Thank you very much for your attention to my request :))

Kind Regards,
Roxanne Nelson

Sorry to hear that Jasmine has a sore leg.

Unfortunately there is no over the counter pain medication for cats that is going to be safe and helpful. Cats actually do not metabolize aspirin well. There are rare cases where we will use very small doses for cats that have had issues with blood clots. But, I would definitely not recommend it, especially for an older cat as aspirin can be hard on a cat's kidneys and many older cats have some degree of kidney disease.

There really isn't a whole lot that you can do at home until you are able to see a vet. If you can determine which part of the leg is sore, you could try placing an ice pack or a pack of frozen peas on that joint for a few minutes a few times per day. But, it is often hard to know which joint is causing pain in a cat, even for those of us who are skilled at doing exams of sore cat legs!

The best thing you can do is to allow Jasmine to remain as quiet as she would like. Take away any need for her to do stairs or jump.

Your vet will do a good exam and likely xrays. They will probably prescribe a medication such as Metacam or Tramadol in dosages that will be safe for her.

If you feel that she is extremely uncomfortable then I would recommend seeing an emergency vet.

I hope things improve soon!

How much should a dog sleep? I am curious to know how much sleep is normal for an older dog. He is a small breed... (8709 views)

Cat is urinating on my bed. Hi Dr Marie, You may not remember me - I'm from Australia, my partner and I email... (9255 views)

Meds safe for small dog? Good evening! I recently adopted a toy poodle. She is currently 4 months old (DOB... (8808 views)

Possible spleen cancer. About 2 wks ago noticed lack of appetite and lethargy. Took her to the vet who said... (12137 views)

Noticing metallic odor. Hi! I recently adopted a dog from a NYC euth list. I've had her for about 3 weeks... (38966 views)

Cat drinks from fish bowl. Hi! My cat isn't(as far as I can tell) sick at all, but rather I'm wondering... (50702 views)

Pregnancy question. My golden retriver mated with my chiuahuh and the chihuhah is pregnat would i need... (10899 views)

Infected spay incision? Puppy got spayed about 12 days ago and her incision was healing really quickly. Now,... (78908 views)

Is this lump cancer? I noticed yesterday that my babe has a lump about the size of a kiwi on her bottom... (17108 views)

Rash on belly. My 15 month old pit bull/great dane mix has recently started developing a "bruise"... (70708 views)