Sore leg in 16 year old cat.

Breed: cat
Hello

We have a cat that is about 16 years old. The last couple of days she has been favoring her back left leg. She is walking around..just a little more slowly than normal. I think she might have hurt it a little while jumping down. She usually goes from my sons bed to the ottoman then to the floor.

I plan on taking her into a vet monday.So they can do an xray..just to make sure she is okay. I was wondering if it would be okay to give her a baby asprin? She seems like she is in a little pain. Also I am not sure what dosage to give her or if you have a better recommendation? Thank you very much for your attention to my request :))

Kind Regards,
Roxanne Nelson

Sorry to hear that Jasmine has a sore leg.

Unfortunately there is no over the counter pain medication for cats that is going to be safe and helpful. Cats actually do not metabolize aspirin well. There are rare cases where we will use very small doses for cats that have had issues with blood clots. But, I would definitely not recommend it, especially for an older cat as aspirin can be hard on a cat's kidneys and many older cats have some degree of kidney disease.

There really isn't a whole lot that you can do at home until you are able to see a vet. If you can determine which part of the leg is sore, you could try placing an ice pack or a pack of frozen peas on that joint for a few minutes a few times per day. But, it is often hard to know which joint is causing pain in a cat, even for those of us who are skilled at doing exams of sore cat legs!

The best thing you can do is to allow Jasmine to remain as quiet as she would like. Take away any need for her to do stairs or jump.

Your vet will do a good exam and likely xrays. They will probably prescribe a medication such as Metacam or Tramadol in dosages that will be safe for her.

If you feel that she is extremely uncomfortable then I would recommend seeing an emergency vet.

I hope things improve soon!

Cat has swollen foot. I took my cat to the vet bc he was limping and they said he may have cut his foot... (4957 views)

Bladder stones and crystals. Hello Dr. Marie: Last fall and again in April of this year, Jazz got what was... (10257 views)

Treatments for constipated cat. Good morning Dr Marie, This is the second time I have used your service. I was... (3922 views)

Sneezing and runny eyes. My dog has been excessively sneezing for over a year now. She has had no respiratory... (20066 views)

IVDD in dog. My dog Basil woke up this morning and would not jump off of the bed, go down steps,... (11846 views)

One puppy in litter died. I had five yookiepoo pups. One has died. Yesterday was the first day that it acted... (14893 views)

Kidney problem or diabetes? Hi Dr Marie, Hicks is 17 years old now. Still moderately active. 2 years ago, she... (4958 views)

Dog ate foam padding. Hi Dr, At 9pm last nite Max chewed open an office chair. He managed to swallow... (91458 views)

Cat attacked by dog. My can got attacked by a dog and she cant close her mouth all the way, but her tooth... (4993 views)

Lumps on cat's abdomen. Cubbie recently (1 week) developed two fibrous (?) lumps, one on each side of her... (23874 views)