Sore leg in 16 year old cat.

Breed: cat
Hello

We have a cat that is about 16 years old. The last couple of days she has been favoring her back left leg. She is walking around..just a little more slowly than normal. I think she might have hurt it a little while jumping down. She usually goes from my sons bed to the ottoman then to the floor.

I plan on taking her into a vet monday.So they can do an xray..just to make sure she is okay. I was wondering if it would be okay to give her a baby asprin? She seems like she is in a little pain. Also I am not sure what dosage to give her or if you have a better recommendation? Thank you very much for your attention to my request :))

Kind Regards,
Roxanne Nelson

Sorry to hear that Jasmine has a sore leg.

Unfortunately there is no over the counter pain medication for cats that is going to be safe and helpful. Cats actually do not metabolize aspirin well. There are rare cases where we will use very small doses for cats that have had issues with blood clots. But, I would definitely not recommend it, especially for an older cat as aspirin can be hard on a cat's kidneys and many older cats have some degree of kidney disease.

There really isn't a whole lot that you can do at home until you are able to see a vet. If you can determine which part of the leg is sore, you could try placing an ice pack or a pack of frozen peas on that joint for a few minutes a few times per day. But, it is often hard to know which joint is causing pain in a cat, even for those of us who are skilled at doing exams of sore cat legs!

The best thing you can do is to allow Jasmine to remain as quiet as she would like. Take away any need for her to do stairs or jump.

Your vet will do a good exam and likely xrays. They will probably prescribe a medication such as Metacam or Tramadol in dosages that will be safe for her.

If you feel that she is extremely uncomfortable then I would recommend seeing an emergency vet.

I hope things improve soon!

Fontline and Advantix. My I treated my dog with Frontline Plus 2 weeks ago and it's not preventing ticks... (8157 views)

See the vet for dog bite? Daisy was bitten my my other dog in 2 places. It bled moderately and I gently bathed... (4613 views)

Bad breath in dog. My dog is 12 yrs old and has very bad breath. I lost my husband 21/2 yrs ago and I... (17739 views)

Dog has itchy bum. Bella is 3 years old. She's been having some anal itching the past few days but... (117402 views)

Bald spots on bulldog's legs. We purchased a baby bulldog about a month ago. We already had a bulldog, Mina, and... (25394 views)

Can a dog be born with rabies. does dog have rabbies when they were... (13934 views)

Cat urinating on bed. Good Morning Over the past two days my cat has decided to urinate on my bed. His... (15773 views)

Starting pay of a vet. I'm a student hoping to study Vet Med but I might need to get student loan for the... (5702 views)

Cat flung himself around. Hello about 2 weeks ago my 12 year old cat was sleeping soundly when he woke up... (6425 views)

Blood at end of urine stream. My female dog has had blood in her urine for 2 months. I live in Belize, Central... (16938 views)